• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I really hope that if Bandana Dee gets in he's actually strong unlike Meta Knight. Like Meta Knight is cool and all with his reworked moveset in "for" but jeez is it so hard to kill with anything besides uair strings into up b or risky off stage bairs...It'd be cool if at least one of Bandana Dee aerials killed or his smash attacks are actually useful. I just want one kirby character without an Achilles's heel.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Since Captain Toad got sadly deconfirmed due New Donk City showing him in background NPC role, been thinking of moving here to push support on BD for the time being.

I must say though, from all things I've witnessed about his support, BD's chances are looking very positive for him. :drohyou:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh! Add me to the list too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm probably going to eat my words on my initial thoughts of Bandana Dee making it in.

Changing my mind now, I think Bandana Dee has one of the best chances to make the base roster after Sakurai's confirmation on the newcomers being chosen based on the Ballot results.

I'm super excited to see a spear wielder in this game, hopefully Bandana Dee does indeed make the cut. :)

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Bandana dee was my most wanted newcomer in 4 so I'm glad things are still looking positive for him now. I'm honestly pretty convinced he will get in, he's really the most obvious kirby rep, and kirby characters are still massively requested in Japan, I mean hell, even magolor still gets requested pretty often.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I have insane confidence in Bandana Dee, Geno, and Isaac being in Smash with maybe one more New Fighter after that with that probably being Banjo Kazooie. After that I believe Rayman and Skull Kid, with a Pokemon Rep being surprisingly the least likely IMO.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think I'm on the list. You can add me.
He's not one of my top wanted, but I'd still love him in.

Crank4Smash

Smash Rookie
So if/when Bandana Dee gets into the game would you guys rather see him use just his spear, or rather a mix between both his spear and parasol?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So if/when Bandana Dee gets into the game would you guys rather see him use just his spear, or rather a mix between both his spear and parasol?
Good question. I figured just spear, but actually I wouldn't mind a little diversity. I'm up for the parasol being in 1 or a couple moves.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I'd be content with either, really.

The former could have an interesting playstyle, with the OP suggesting a playstyle all about controlling your opponent's spacing, and I quite like that idea.

The latter meanwhile, could make for a much simpler, but still fun playstyle. I myself imagine that the attacks that use parasol also keep the parasol out, slowing descent from the air and shielding from weaker attacks from above, with a lingering hitbox until you dodge/use an attack that doesn't use a parasol. (After all, he had a special parasol associated with him within Planet Robobot, which he also used in Battle Royale.)

...I'd also be fine with him using Beam as well if they really want to push for his "Waddle Dee poster boy" image like in Super Smash Flash 2, but i'd prefer one of the former two myself to keep as true to character as they can. But I wouldn't complain if they did use beam. (As long as my boi gets in I'll accept anything.)

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If Bandana Dee had a unique mechanic I hope he has augment his Spear with elements like in Star Allies.

I think it would be a really cool mechanic for Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee to have.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
For some reason, hearing it straight from Sakurai that he's drawing from the Smash Ballot for new characters this time around... I don't know why, but it's putting, like, the biggest, goofiest grin on my face right now.

Also, quick question.

If Bandana Waddle Dee is confirmed to be playable in Ultimate, what should his official artwork be? Personally, I'm thinking something based on the artwork below, but with B.W.D. instead of Kirby (BTW, this is from Kirby Air Ride).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
He's pretty easy to design :p I'm sure the art will be fine.

I hope he feels a bit like in the kirby games.

By the way, Bandana Dee was actually in the boss arena of Super Star:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
For some reason, hearing it straight from Sakurai that he's drawing from the Smash Ballot for new characters this time around... I don't know why, but it's putting, like, the biggest, goofiest grin on my face right now.

Also, quick question.

If Bandana Waddle Dee is confirmed to be playable in Ultimate, what should his official artwork be? Personally, I'm thinking something based on the artwork below, but with B.W.D. instead of Kirby (BTW, this is from Kirby Air Ride).

A lot of bandana dee's artwork feels very boring and static, a more dynamic and action focused pose where he's actually fighting and has a matching expression would be nice

edit: something like this maybe
KRTDL_Spear.png

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

Also, quick question.

I can see it happening, but I had something else in mind.

I imagined him doing his WaddleCopter move, waving with one hand, blinking (like in his SSF2 render), and his feet leaning forward.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
It would be hilarious if he was given artwork that tried heavily to make him look epic. Just imagine him in the same pose as Meta Knight or even Marth.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely hoping for a mix. The spear could work just fine on its own, but the Parasol would make for an interesting combo weapon, especially since Bandana Dee does have his own signature Parasol. Plus, the Parasol is pretty much the signature weapon of Waddle Dees in general, so even though I'd imagine Bandana Dee mostly using his Spear, throwing in his personal Parasol for a couple of moves could indicate how he's also representing his species as a whole.

StormC

Smash Hero
Megaton Punch is one of those no-brainer Final Smashes like Blast-O-Matic, I feel like it's gotta be it. I wanna see him finally crack Popstar.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Megaton Punch is one of those no-brainer Final Smashes like Blast-O-Matic, I feel like it's gotta be it. I wanna see him finally crack Popstar.
I have this image in my head of his reveal trailer, showing off his gameplay to the tune of the Apple juice song...and then it shows Megaton Punch splitting the world in two, cute music still playing in the background.:laugh:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
It's surprising to me that even though Sakurai said he's picking from the ballot and it's clear that Bandana Boi performed phenomenally in it based on polls, that my circle of smash bros acquaintances are still doubtful of his chances. Come on, he's literally the one possible newcomer I'd bet money on.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's surprising to me that even though Sakurai said he's picking from the ballot and it's clear that Bandana Boi performed phenomenally in it based on polls, that my circle of smash bros acquaintances are still doubtful of his chances. Come on, he's literally the one possible newcomer I'd bet money on.
There's a good amount of people that feel he's too close to a lowly minion than a full-fledged character for smash.
Obviously if you played the games he's in, he feels like an ally, so usually it's people who haven't played those games.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
When it comes to Dee... I've wanted Waddle Dee to be playable in smash bros since playing Kirby 64. However, when Waddle Dee got in as one of Dedede's attacks I lost hope. Then I found out there was a spear wielding Waddle Dee and grew hopeful of that when Waddle Dee was removed from Dedede's moveset.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have high hopes for this little guy. That, and Megaton Punch is a must Final Smash, it's too perfect not to use.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We want the Dee. Nintendo likes to please. Nintendo will give us the Dee real good.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's very disheartening just how little respect Bandana Dee seems to get. So often I see people talk about a new big 3 but very rarely mention Bandana Dee as one of them despite being way more requested than at least one of the characters mentioned. Often all 3.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
With 65 pages I'm sure this has been brought up before but Bandana Dee has the potential to be the second character to use the pin mechanic which so far only Corrin can do.

edit: to expand on this a bit more what if Dee's pin was different from Corrin's like he tosses a single or three spears up into the air and when they are coming down they pin whoever they come in contact with... and yes if they hit someone in the air they can potentially drag them down into the blast Zone if they have to much damage or don't DI out of it.

Did I come up with something annoying, OP, or is it fine?

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
So often I see people talk about a new big 3 but very rarely mention Bandana Dee as one of them despite being way more requested than at least one of the characters mentioned. Often all 3.
I wouldn't worry about it. There seem to be a main 5 that are now what people are mainly looking at: Banjo, B.Dee, Isaac, Geno, and Skull Kid. I seriously doubt ALL 4 of these short lived long buried characters will get in before B.Dee.

K.Rool just has everyone thinking that every newcomer is gonna be a forgotten 90's pick. Dee doesn't fit into that criteria so there's not too much buzz around him atm. Things will change when we get the next newcomer and everyone changes their definition of what criteria the newcomers are based on.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
It's very disheartening just how little respect Bandana Dee seems to get. So often I see people talk about a new big 3 but very rarely mention Bandana Dee as one of them despite being way more requested than at least one of the characters mentioned. Often all 3.
Dee undoubtedly fares better than any other in Japan, but is probably on par with Geno and slightly more popular than Isaac overall. It's not really cut and dry between the three of them if we're considering all regions.

I would expand it to a big 5 that includes Geno, Isaac, Dee, Skull Kid (Sakurai seems to be aware of his popularity that was around before Smash 4), and Banjo, all on nearly equal footing in fan support nowadays for one reason or another.

With all that in mind, I agree that Dee doesn't get nearly the attention in prediction rosters that Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno, and a Pokemon rep all do. It makes no sense.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dee undoubtedly fares better than any other in Japan, but is probably on par with Geno and slightly more popular than Isaac overall. It's not really cut and dry between the three of them if we're considering all regions.

I would expand it to a big 5 that includes Geno, Isaac, Dee, Skull Kid (Sakurai seems to be aware of his popularity that was around before Smash 4), and Banjo, all on nearly equal footing in fan support nowadays for one reason or another.

With all that in mind, I agree that Dee doesn't get nearly the attention in prediction rosters that Skull Kid, Isaac, Geno, and a Pokemon rep all do. It makes no sense.
Skull kid wasn't really popular at the time of the ballot. The popularity shot up recently.
But other than that, there's also Paper Mario and Shantae who we can guess had a lot of votes. We don't have a sample size larger than the 40 thousand one that was going around though.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Skull kid wasn't really popular at the time of the ballot. The popularity shot up recently.
But other than that, there's also Paper Mario and Shantae who we can guess had a lot of votes. We don't have a sample size larger than the 40 thousand one that was going around though.
Not so much during ballot time, but I recall people saying he had a pretty large Brawl following (correct me if I'm wrong). The fact that Sakurai had to include a disclaimer for his Miiverse AT reveal that Skull Kid wasn't playable got me thinking that he knew there was a fanbase for the character.

That's something that might have stuck to him even beyond what ballot results said. After all, I don't see anyone believing Simon was in the top 10.

I do keep forgetting about Paper Mario and Shantae, though. I just wonder if Paper Mario's true ballot support was hurt with the recent state of the franchise and if Shantae really had more support than Shovel Knight. The vocal outcry for SK was pretty intense during ballot time, but it still only got him an AT.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
there's also Paper Mario and Shantae who we can guess had a lot of votes
Paper Mario is in this weird place where people want him, but not a single person has faith that he wouldn't have a garbage arts n crafts based moveset, so there isn't much vocal demand.

An indie isn't getting into Smash as a playable character. Ever. I think it's hilarious that anyone would ever entertain the notion.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not so much during ballot time, but I recall people saying he had a pretty large Brawl following (correct me if I'm wrong). The fact that Sakurai had to include a disclaimer for his Miiverse AT reveal that Skull Kid wasn't playable got me thinking that he knew there was a fanbase for the character.

That's something that might have stuck to him even beyond what ballot results said. After all, I don't see anyone believing Simon was in the top 10.

I do keep forgetting about Paper Mario and Shantae, though. I just wonder if Paper Mario's true ballot support was hurt with the recent state of the franchise and if Shantae really had more support than Shovel Knight. The vocal outcry for SK was pretty intense during ballot time, but it still only got him an AT.
The general thought is that Shantae would be chosen over Shovel Knight because he wasn't known in places like Japan at the time of the ballot. Shantae's more known and has a longer history.
But the votes aren't all that count anyway, since like you said Simon made it in.

That said, pretty sure BD is in a great spot, including since Sakurai worked on Kirby and all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have this image in my head of his reveal trailer, showing off his gameplay to the tune of the Apple juice song...and then it shows Megaton Punch splitting the world in two, cute music still playing in the background.:laugh:
That'd be glorious, like when silly music played as King K. Rool was steaming mad and ready for battling the Kongs.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I know people who genuinely hope he's just a Meta Knight echo and I try hard not to explode in anger.
I'll do you one better: This one guy I work with, who also follows Smash, seriously thought Bdee would simply be an echo of Kirby. And he said it so casually, like he didn't even consider how Bdee could be unique. Granted, he's more of a fairweather fan, and never played Kirby before, but that just goes to show what casual opinions of the Dee are like.

Of course, I set him straight, lol. Suggested he watch some gameplay videos of the Dee in action, to see just why an Echo isn't possible. Because all you have to do is watch one minute of Bdee attacking to see he's nothing like Kirby OR Meta Knight.

Top Bottom