• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Japanese Leak from January found! People saiyng it is real becouse it gets everything right! Even Richter!
Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9729sf/someone_predicted_every_new_character_announced/

Characters in the Leak:

Inkling

Ridley

Daisy

Chrom

Dark Samus

Simon

Richter

King K.Rool

Skull Kid

Geno

Isabelle

Isaac

Matthew

Lloyd

Bandana Dee

Banjo

Heihachi

Dixie Kong

Prince Sable

Magolor
I'd almost be willing to believe that, if it weren't for Sable Prince, Magolor, and to a point, Heihachi. The rest are plausible/popular.

As much as I love Kirby, there's no way it's getting two unique newcomers in one game. And Sable Prince doesn't have the worldwide appeal needed to make it.

It would be a phenomenal roster, though.

11th

Smash Apprentice
to be fair maglor and taranza have been since their first games
I wasn't talking about side games or cameos. Magolor has two main series appearances (Return to Dream Land/Wii and Dream Collection) and Taranza has one (Triple Deluxe). Both have missed at least two consecutive mainline releases and currently seem unlikely to return to them. (Not including DLC Dream Friend appearances in Star Allies.)

Could that change? Absolutely. However, given HAL's track record with characters, the odds are definitely against them.

Edit: Argh, typos.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Is it too late for a member of the Bandana Brigade from the Smash 4 to Smash 4 DLC days to return? Hi everyone! Sorry I've missed.....just about everything in this thread since Ultimate was announced. I'd just been so hyped about everything else that the return of the Bandana Brigade never registered until a few weeks after Ultimate was fully confirmed as a completely new Smash game, and by then I've been a bit nervous to come back here. I still fully support Bandana Dee, and to be honest, our favorite lancer is pretty much the last thing I really need to consider Ultimate truly a perfect Smash game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wow... so I have not been on this page, apparently, since page 27. Which was only in April.
I am glad I support this character. It is a strong community.

What caused the surge? It must have been the name of the game, as its been new speculation time....

Someone catch me up. What is the smashboards consensus on Bandana Dee?
I've realized I dont think he has nearly as much of a chance as DLC as base roster. But it is my opinion.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Wow... so I have not been on this page, apparently, since page 27. Which was only in April.
I am glad I support this character. It is a strong community.

What caused the surge? It must have been the name of the game, as its been new speculation time....

Someone catch me up. What is the smashboards consensus on Bandana Dee?
I've realized I dont think he has nearly as much of a chance as DLC as base roster. But it is my opinion.
I think most people agree that he is one of the most likely newcomers left. He was very popular during the ballot (Especially in Japan) yet has been mysteriously absent so far. With how popular he was, even if he isn't playable he would be at least an assist trophy but he has not been shown as one yet. Even more so, Kirby already has a new AT with Chef Kawasaki, not to mention the stuff with Dedede's final smash. So his chances are only looking better and better.

DuckHuntDork

Smash Rookie
NNID
TripleChin
3DS FC
1332-8230-8977
Switch FC
SW-5201-3372-9343
How would you guys react if some other Kirby character was revealed for Smash?

I'd have incredibly mixed feelings myself.

On one hand, having a new Kirby character would be nice since I feel like the series is overdue for a fourth newcomer, and if it were someone like Dark Matter, Adeleine, or Magolor, it would at least show Sakurai showing some Kirby games he didn't make some love. And I have little doubt that they'd be fun to play, and I'm fond of pretty much every Kirby character.

However, getting someone before Dee, the established number four of the series at this point who's been coming into his own over half a decade (and a good boi) just... wouldn't really sit well with me. Especially since, if another Kirby character was revealed before him, in spite everything working in his favor, then it would indicate that Sakurai intentionally passed over him in favor of someone else, meaning it's unlikely he'd ever get in. And of course, you'd have a bunch of people saying "lol, see? He was just a boring Goomba with a hat, why did anyone want him?"

I dunno, I realize that this isn't very likely since, as we've established, if Dee weren't playable, then Assist Trophy is the only role that would make sense considering his status, and Chef Kawasaki seems to be taking that role. Not to mention how any other Kirby character would break the Newcomer trend of being highly requested picks. But it's something I've been thinking about nonetheless.
I think I'd feel something along those same lines, to be honest. However, I don't really know who else would be able to translate into the game well. Besides Dark Matter & Galacta Knight, I feel Bandanna Dee is one of the most fitting Kirby characters to add to Smash. Plus, he's the cutest of the three.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
You guys are gonna be super happy. One of the largest gaming magazines in Japan had 2 Smash polls; Who is the most desired character, and who is the most expected character. Note: This poll was taken before the direct

Japan's magazine smash poll.jpg
The most desired Smash characters in all of Japan are

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan
japan's picks.jpg

The most expected characters are

1.Rex
2. Bandana Waddle Dee (the poll goes out of it's way to state that Dee's placement comes from the sheer desire from fans to see him in)
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

When people say that Bandana Dee wouldn't be hype, just remember that he's basically Ridley x10 in Japan's Smash community.

Maikou

Smash Ace
How would you guys react if some other Kirby character was revealed for Smash?

I'd have incredibly mixed feelings myself.

On one hand, having a new Kirby character would be nice since I feel like the series is overdue for a fourth newcomer, and if it were someone like Dark Matter, Adeleine, or Magolor, it would at least show Sakurai showing some Kirby games he didn't make some love. And I have little doubt that they'd be fun to play, and I'm fond of pretty much every Kirby character.

However, getting someone before Dee, the established number four of the series at this point who's been coming into his own over half a decade (and a good boi) just... wouldn't really sit well with me. Especially since, if another Kirby character was revealed before him, in spite everything working in his favor, then it would indicate that Sakurai intentionally passed over him in favor of someone else, meaning it's unlikely he'd ever get in. And of course, you'd have a bunch of people saying "lol, see? He was just a boring Goomba with a hat, why did anyone want him?"

I dunno, I realize that this isn't very likely since, as we've established, if Dee weren't playable, then Assist Trophy is the only role that would make sense considering his status, and Chef Kawasaki seems to be taking that role. Not to mention how any other Kirby character would break the Newcomer trend of being highly requested picks. But it's something I've been thinking about nonetheless.
I think I'd feel something along those same lines, to be honest. However, I don't really know who else would be able to translate into the game well. Besides Dark Matter & Galacta Knight, I feel Bandanna Dee is one of the most fitting Kirby characters to add to Smash. Plus, he's the cutest of the three.
I have to admit to feeling the same. There aren't many other Kirby characters who are as prominent and unique as Bandana Dee. The majority of them are only in one or two, possibly three games (give or take based on whether you count Super Star and Ultra as seperate games or count their appearances in Star Allies). Not many of the existing Helper characters have enough moves to work as a Smash character. Bandana Dee just has virtually everything, from a moveset that can be ripped almost straight out of Return to Dreamland with a few tweaks, to cuteness, to relevance as a major character for at least five completely separate games, to working as both hero (as Kirby's partner) and villain (as Dedede's partner in some contexts). Though I'll admit calling him a villain at all is kind of a stretch, so Magolor or Marx could have that going for them, but really that's about it. And technically Magolor's a good guy now (Marx is still evil, apparently), so that's kind of a setback.

Ultimately, it'd be nice to have any new Kirby characters, but anyone besides Bandana Dee would feel wrong somehow, or would wind up an Echo. I honestly feel like the only other Kirby newcomer with any real chance is maybe Galacta Knight, and I can only really see him as an Echo of Meta Knight. And, I mean, do we really need a second swordfighter from Kirby? People would inevitably explode about Kirby adding the swordfighter problem...even people against Bandana Dee will at least say "at least he's not another swordsman" if he gets in.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
You guys are gonna be super happy. One of the largest gaming magazines in Japan had 2 Smash polls; Who is the most desired character, and who is the most expected character. Note: This poll was taken before the direct

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

1.Rex
2. Bandana Waddle Dee (the poll goes out of it's way to state that Dee's placement comes from the sheer desire from fans to see him in)
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

When people say that Bandana Dee wouldn't be hype, just remember that he's basically Ridley x10 in Japan's Smash community.
Thank you for posting this!

Great news!

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Oh yeah the poll came from Famitsu just in case anyone was wondering. Basically the biggest gaming magazine in the country

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

1.Rex
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

The text under the "Most Desired" List mentions that other popular picks included: Magalor, Marx (Kirby series), Gaogaen and Juniper (Incineroar and Decidueye JP names, I think?), Daisy, Captain Toad, the new Fire Emblem protagonist, Goemon, and Kunio-kun.

WinOrTroll

Smash Rookie
Along with the fighter card and the website fighter display mockup, I have made a HUD mockup as well for Bandana Dee.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
The text under the "Most Desired" List mentions that other popular picks included: Magalor, Marx (Kirby series), Gaogaen and Juniper (Incineroar and Decidueye JP names, I think?), Daisy, Captain Toad, the new Fire Emblem protagonist, Goemon, and Kunio-kun.
My goodness...Magolor and Marx as honorable mentions, AND Bandana Dee at the very top?

Japan loves them some Kirby. I mean, this I knew, but I clearly was blind to how much.

I'm in the wrong country, lol...

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

1.Rex
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

Along with the fighter card and the website fighter display mockup, I have made a HUD mockup as well for Bandana Dee.
I needed both of these.
Thanks for both the boost of confidence and a little hud mockup. Best things to wake up to!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

1.Rex
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

now thats a group i can get on board with

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

1.Rex
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

well cool
except

nope

both of them are "expected" polls.

grizby2

Smash Lord
put me in the supporter basket! hed make a great addition to the game. I got two more axe users now thanks to the belmonts~ lets toss in some spear action!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My goodness...Magolor and Marx as honorable mentions, AND Bandana Dee at the very top?

Japan loves them some Kirby. I mean, this I knew, but I clearly was blind to how much.

I'm in the wrong country, lol...
Japan is ate up with Kirby merch, so it's no surprise a Kirby newcomer is so desperately wanted.

Unfortunately, BWD and any other Kirby character depends on Sakurai's support if they want to get in. We're off to a good start with Ridley and K. Rool, but with only a limited number of spots left, it's becoming abundantly clear that not every long-requested favorite will make the cut.

Here's to hoping BWD is one of them.

Waddle_dude

Smash Cadet
It’s so weird bc BWD is literally the 50/50 chance character. There is a big chance he’s in and just as big of a chance he isn’t this hype cycle of smash is so stressful for me :roll:

Klimax

Smash Ace
I don't know if i'm in but if i'm not, you can definitly add me to the list of supporters, i'm a huge Kirby fan !

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

1.Rex
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

This is amazing. The fact he's nearly number 1 on both polls is proof positive why I think he will be one of the remaining newcomers and likely the newcomer to represent the Japanese fanbase.

StormC

Smash Hero
It’s so weird bc BWD is literally the 50/50 chance character. There is a big chance he’s in and just as big of a chance he isn’t this hype cycle of smash is so stressful for me :roll:
Yeah... 50% sounds about right for Bandana Dee. There's a lot going for him, but a few things against him. It's gonna be an interesting next few months. But I do think if K. Rool could get added, despite being missing for a decade and Sakurai's indifference to the DK series as a whole, BDee can still make it in.

He's probably safe from being an Assist, at least.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I support. Bandana Dee's unique enough to carry his own moveset, he works well as a fighter in his games. Kirby news has been limited so far, I can see him happening.

Crank4Smash

Smash Rookie
Hey, new here. Can I get added to the supporter list for Bandana Dee? The little guy has been one the few Kirby characters to be both important and consistently relevant. I hope he gets into Smash!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A little late on this, but here's hoping my prediction on Bandanna Dee is right.

As of now, my confidence on the character has dropped to a single percent after Ashley was de-confirmed.

I am still hoping the heavy Waddle Dee promotion prior to 2015 will be enough of an influence for Sakurai to add the character.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
What song do you want to be remixed for Bandana Dee's trailer?
The apple juice song could be one, but realistically, we're likely to get a more recurring song in the Kirby series. The Arena theme would be a good choice, and it's about time it got a Smash mix. It really depends on if we're looking at a silly trailer, or a cool one.

Personally, I'm liking the idea of a Megaton Punch arrangement. The guitar on that would be insane.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
What song do you want to be remixed for Bandana Dee's trailer?
Personally, I've always liked the idea of using the title screen music of Returns to Dreamland, remixed or not. It's got a really upbeat and triumphant beginning that I think would sound great playing alongside his splash screen, and I can totally picture gameplay footage playing alongside the rest of the song, as it keeps up the pep throughout. It would be even more appropriate if his reveal trailer involved him saving Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
The apple juice song could be one, but realistically, we're likely to get a more recurring song in the Kirby series. The Arena theme would be a good choice, and it's about time it got a Smash mix. It really depends on if we're looking at a silly trailer, or a cool one.

Personally, I'm liking the idea of a Megaton Punch arrangement. The guitar on that would be insane.
I agree on the Megaton Punch theme. It'd be a fun call-back to Bandana Dee's first ever appearance.

Speaking of Megaton Punch, is it okay to post a moveset idea I have? I've been thinking it'd be cool to have that be one of his special attacks, and it would work as a Final Smash.

Top Bottom