• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Bandana Dee isn't really one of Sakurai's characters though, he first appeared in Super Star which was one of Sakurai's games but he really became his own character in Super Star Ultra which wasn't one of the games Sakurai worked on, and Bandana Dee notably didn't get a trophy in either version of Smash 4 (even though it would have been stupidly easy to give him one by porting the model from Return to Dreamland and calling it a day), I don't think Sakurai bias is going to help us much lol.
Hmm. That is a good point. Quite honestly though, as much as I would prefer someone like Magolor (or Adeleine... A girl can dream!), I can't imagine a Kirby character "more likely" (if that means anything, Smash 4 kinda makes me believe it doesn't) to eventually join the Smash cast than Bandana Waddle Dee.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I've said this before, but it was both a long time ago, and in the old thread, so it's worth mentioning again:
In a similar vein to Bandana Dee appearing in the credits of Triple Deluxe (and Planet Robobot) playing DS with Kirby, he ALSO does so in Super Star Ultra in Revenge of the King.
Interesting.png

Worth mentioning is that this was before he had a starring role in Return.
(his appearance in the Robobot credits)
BDPRB.png

I dunno if that should be added to the main post, but it's some interesting trivia tidbits.
:060:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Super Star Ultra was the game that started his growth from generic enemy to full-fledged hero. but in said game he hadn't been established as Kirby's friend yet had he? it's interesting that they decided to include him playing with Kirby in the credits of that game. maybe they had this planned all along?

StormC

Smash Hero
It would be nice if they could officially retcon the 64 Dee to be Bandana Dee as well. He's one of the more memorable parts of 64.

I'd guess Sakurai would put Bandana Dee in as 1996 for All-Star Mode and his trophy would state that his first appearance was Super Star - probably with a little blurb about how he started as Megaton Punch fodder and now he's in the big leagues.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
He's the only newcomer I'm 100% sure is getting in. He's been in every game since Wii, they always group him Kirby, Dedede and Metaknight and the game is being developed by HAL

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
He's the only newcomer I'm 100% sure is getting in. He's been in every game since Wii, they always group him Kirby, Dedede and Metaknight and the game is being developed by HAL
I'm not sure about the last part.

HAL is just there because they made the original game (Smash 64).

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Do you guys think wave 2 of the dream friend will be revealed at E3 and also released at that same time ?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you guys think wave 2 of the dream friend will be revealed at E3 and also released at that same time ?
Possibly - given that they're free updates as opposed to paid DLC, I could definitely see them saying that "these new Dream Friends will be available to play as after this presentation."

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The only thing you should be sure about is that we are getting a ton of Fire Emblem newcomers again. That aside, nothing is set in stone. Being sure that a character is joining is never a good idea.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its s distinct possibility, perhaps not the main presentation maybe during treehouse

i think though that wave two will be out before E3 but another wave could well be

sman3579

Smash Cadet
After thinking about the idea some more, I’m cool with Bandana Dee being a playable character. Having a character that uses a spear would be cool, and he has been a playable character in a lot of recent games.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Worth noting that Bandanna Waddle Dee isn't necessarily limited to the spear. He also is known for using the parasol, as a nod to the Parasol Waddle Dee variant. This is shown in Kirby Battle Royale where he actually uses the parasol exclusively.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It would be nice if they could officially retcon the 64 Dee to be Bandana Dee as well. He's one of the more memorable parts of 64.
In the event of a K64 remake, I'd like to have a little epilogue scene where we see everyone's lives after 0²'s defeat. We could get a little scene of Dedede giving Waddle Dee a blue cloth.

I'd guess Sakurai would put Bandana Dee in as 1996 for All-Star Mode and his trophy would state that his first appearance was Super Star - probably with a little blurb about how he started as Megaton Punch fodder and now he's in the big leagues.
You know, I wonder if anyone acknowledges that even though Bandana Dee didn't do all that great in Megaton Punch, the fact that even managed to make SOME notable dent in Popstar's surface is still something to behold.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wonder if Star Allies is too new to influence Bandana Dees moveset, I'd really like to see some of Staffs moves, especially the Pogo move and some of the twirling attacks

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I wonder if Star Allies is too new to influence Bandana Dees moveset, I'd really like to see some of Staffs moves, especially the Pogo move and some of the twirling attacks
It's probably too late to add those to his moveset. The roster was probably decided in the first half of 2016

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
while that could be cool, Dee hasn't used staff moves, so that wouldn't really fit him very well. There are enough spear (and Parasol if struggling) moves to fairly fill out his moveset.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
while that could be cool, Dee hasn't used staff moves, so that wouldn't really fit him very well. There are enough spear (and Parasol if struggling) moves to fairly fill out his moveset.
He may not have used staff moves, but it's really easy to picture him using those moves with his spear. They fill in the blanks nicely. I really want that Pogo move as a down special where he catapults off his spear.

Actually, that's something I could have seen him doing before Staff was a thing.

Another original move I wouldn't mind seeing is like a reverse spear copter. Rather than lift him up, it would push enemies away with a gust.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That seems like it's be a custom variation haha.
Not in my head, I picture it as a side special or neutral special.

Makes me wonder about the spear toss though, neutral or side special? It's a side move in the source material, but I think it would feel nicer as a neutral where you can have more aim over it. Plus it would mean it's the move Kirby uses when he inhales Bandana Dee which is very fitting.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I could see staff moves in his moveset if it weren't for how late into development this released. Sakurai is known to use things adjacent to characters that could apply, like Robin using Nosferatsu. I don't think it would be a stretch at all to see a fair thats a weird down angled rapid jab.

D

Deleted member

So another datamine was done on Star Allies, and there's files that kinda imply that...

Hyness may be a Dream Friend at some point (or at least may have been planned to be), as there are helper recolors for him and he has model data stored in the same location as playable characters.

Honestly don't know what to think about this, lol.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So another datamine was done on Star Allies, and there's files that kinda imply that...

Hyness may be a Dream Friend at some point (or at least may have been planned to be), as there are helper recolors for him and he has model data stored in the same location as playable characters.

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to tossing Flamberge's body at Flamberge.

D

Deleted member

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to tossing Flamberge's body at Flamberge.
HAL constantly reminding us that Kirby is indeed, for kids. I fully expect a playable, 100% family friendly 02 in the future.:yeahboi:

In all seriousness, demon Squidward could be cool. Or nightmare fuel. Probably both. Guess We'll just have to wait and see.

Troykv

Smash Master

YEE HAW! (?)

I love the idea! Hahaha! *Insert maniatic laughs* JUHYAMBAVITRIGOKOPOKOJAAAH!!

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Hello! May I be added to the supporters' list please?

To be honest, back in the Smash 4 speculation days I was always "eh" regarding Bandana Waddle Dee. Couldn't see the appeal, couldn't see the potential, couldn't tolerate that he'd get into a Smash game before Isaac did. But since then, I have gotten a few more Kirby games under my belt and... damn. Dee is so cool to have around, always ready to help and never fails to put a smile on my face for whatever reason. His moveset is usually a lot of fun too!

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
yo waIT. I JUST CHECKED THE END OF THE FIRST POST. I was super active in the old thread during the good old days, and Chandelure went and omitted me from the dedicated supports list. Smh, I see you. Okay then...

StormC

Smash Hero
I like that in the Kirby arena fighting game (forget the name), Bandana Dee's parasol launches a bubble. That would be a cool side B move, although from an animation standpoint I'm not sure how it would work for him to pull a parasol out of hammerspace while he holds his spear. Maybe his spear turns into the parasol? Maybe it'd actually be better as a Smash attack because I really like Nruff Rider as the side B.

If BDee gets in now, he'll unfortunately have missed the boat on that and the elemental attacks in Star Allies.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I like that in the Kirby arena fighting game (forget the name), Bandana Dee's parasol launches a bubble. That would be a cool side B move, although from an animation standpoint I'm not sure how it would work for him to pull a parasol out of hammerspace while he holds his spear. Maybe his spear turns into the parasol? Maybe it'd actually be better as a Smash attack because I really like Nruff Rider as the side B.

If BDee gets in now, he'll unfortunately have missed the boat on that and the elemental attacks in Star Allies.
Bandanna Dee can simply pull out the umbrella when using specific attacks. For example his throws can reference the Circus Throw move, his down aerial can reference the Parasol Dive, and his dash attack can reference the Parasol Drill.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
yo waIT. I JUST CHECKED THE END OF THE FIRST POST. I was super active in the old thread during the good old days, and Chandelure went and omitted me from the dedicated supports list. Smh, I see you. Okay then...
Chandelure forgot you, but not Chandeelure.

Yeah, OK, I'm sorry lol.
I'm sure I also forgot other old users, it doesn't help that some change their usernames a lot.
I mostly added the guys from the Dream Land Social Group.

I definitely remember you, Jiggly.

You even help sometimes with the Twitter.

Sorry haha, I added you now.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
What could B.Dee's taunts and victory poses be like? One of taunts could be his animation after participating in Megaton Punch (the waving), and I feel his unique versions of the Kirby dance could be the victory animations. He has a unique dance in Rainbow Curse, Battle Royale and Star Allies (in Star Allies I'm referring to the end dance before the final pose, though the Star Allies pose seems to be based off his Battle Royale pose).

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
What could B.Dee's taunts and victory poses be like? One of taunts could be his animation after participating in Megaton Punch (the waving), and I feel his unique versions of the Kirby dance could be the victory animations. He has a unique dance in Rainbow Curse, Battle Royale and Star Allies (in Star Allies I'm referring to the end dance before the final pose, though the Star Allies pose seems to be based off his Battle Royale pose).
I fell in love with his taunt from Super Smash Flash 2 when he waves cheerily at the player while the "1up" Kirby music plays. It is so freaking ADORABLE.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Guy probably realized that TRYING TO SUMMON A GOD OF "DEDEDESTRUCTION" THAT MORE THAN LIKELY WILL NOT LISTEN TO YOU JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT BANISHED TO THE EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE WASN'T THE BRIGHTEST IDEA.

BTW, does this mean the Jambastion Mages may be playable? Honestly, I'm REALLY hoping for that.

But that's just my two cents on this.

I had an idea for a victory pose for him since Smash 4. Basically, he'd do a sort-of "incomplete version" of the Kirby dance. Specifically, on the "final hop/pose", he'd trip in a cute and clumsy fashion, rubbing his head in embarrassment.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel it would be best for his entrance animation to be his entrance animation from Megaton Punch.

Top Bottom