• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There were only three games that I was interested in - Ori and the Will of the Wisps, No More Heroes 3, and The Wolf Among Us 2.

It was pretty cool that the Game Awards was the place where both Sony and Microsoft properly announced their next consoles, but I'm not overly interested in consoles on their own. I mainly care about exclusives, and while Microsoft has a lot of exclusives that I'm theoretically interested in, they never actually do anything with them, and seem to focus almost entirely on Halo, Forza, and Gears of War. (I like the Halo and Gears games that I've played, but not enough to buy an entire console just for them)
When I saw Master Chief on that hill I was thinking they were going to announce the Master Chief Collection on the Switch. **** that would have been more hyped honestly.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmm, so the VGAs turned out to be nothing. Anyone have any thoughts on the VGAs if ya saw them?
The awards themselves were fine (even if for some reason they didn't announce best RPG and Action/Adventure). The trailers though we're super lame. We got like a few nice reveals, Bravely II and Senua's Saga and The Wolf Among Us 2, a couple trailers that were cool like Ghost of Tsushima, No More Heroes III, Ori, FF7R, but the rest were all garbage all-cinematic trailers for new IP that all just blended together - I think both Magic the Gathering and LoL had two games announced each with no gameplay, like come on! And the final reveal being a Fast & Furious game?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The awards themselves were fine (even if for some reason they didn't announce best RPG and Action/Adventure).
They did, though they were mixed in with other awards that those games won. Disco Elysium won best RPG, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice won best action/adventure. (I find it weird that Action and Action/Adventure are separate categories. Why not just call the second one Adventure?)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They did, though they were mixed in with other awards that those games won. Disco Elysium won best RPG, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice won best action/adventure. (I find it weird that Action and Action/Adventure are separate categories. Why not just call the second one Adventure?)
I watched it from start to finish, including the pre-show, so unless they were quietly name-dropped with zero fanfare, they were announced off the show. Either way, those are big categories to make zero fuss about.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I watched it from start to finish, including the pre-show, so unless they were quietly name-dropped with zero fanfare, they were announced off the show. Either way, those are big categories to make zero fuss about.
They were briefly mentioned when the people behind the games came up to accept the award. (Action-Adventure, Roleplaying)

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I find it annoying that so many people on social media are suddenly laughing at people who feel disappointment towards tga. To me, they need to get off their high horse - there was more advertisements and some really flat skits (Fast & Furious crew) than games! I mean, at least 2/3 of the awards weren't shown on the main stream, they were shown on the smaller one Like Bowser accepting Smash's award, would've been nice to actually see that from tgs's own stream. As usual, people are going to start calling the smash bros communities toxic again, when in reality, I see a lot more non-nintendo fans treating us like dirt for not liking the Samsung and Google awards.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm, so yesterday's Pokemon direct didn't come with a fighter. Not sure if that's good news for us or bad news. Really I think we're all just waiting for the first pass to be over so speculation can truly start with the second DLC wave.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Hmm, so yesterday's Pokemon direct didn't come with a fighter. Not sure if that's good news for us or bad news. Really I think we're all just waiting for the first pass to be over so speculation can truly start with the second DLC wave.
Pretty sure it means nothing, us getting a newcomer there was never gonna happen. Honestly the Spirit event deconfirms a Gen 8 rep for me, not that it matters because another Pokémon isn't gonna affect Bandana Dee's chances imo.

Yeah, we're pretty much in a calm period with fighter 5 being nearly guaranteed to be third-party. Only once we hear **** about the post-pass characters will Bandana Dee be relevant again. Tho if we're really lucky, the first post-pass character is revealed next direct after FP5 and it's him, that way we can skip the speculation entirely. Regardless, when the next direct rolls around we should put our eyes on Dee again.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I know we've gone over this already, but I feel it should be addressed again. I've been hearing about more and more people hate on Bandana Dee, and every time, I keep wondering if they're correct. It's not like Geno or other guys where a few people hate on them because they're popular. There is a legitimately large group of big names like Gamexplain, TerminalMontage, Nathaniel Bandy and (new to today) JWittz who are against Bandana Dee (to name only a few), with the only major Youtuber we have against them being Failboat. Sure other characters get hate from a people like Shantae or the aforementioned Geno, but they don't have a big laundry list of names rallying against them in the name of "Hat Goomba" or "Meme Pick". And seeing so many of them makes me wonder: do they actually have a point in why they think Bandana Dee doesn't deserve to be a fighter?

(yes I know JWittz was respectful about it saying that he'd enjoy Smash anyway unlike Gamexplain who pushed their ideas as fact and TerminalMontage who made memes of him throwing a Bandana Dee fan off a cliff but still)

even the respective evolution relatives should still be fair game
I'd agree with that statement if Sakurai and Furukawa's words didnt imply no already-represented franchises and no Nintendo, but even then, I think they'd go for Urshifu just to promote DLC and he looks like he would be in Smash (the latter isn't really a cold, hard point but IDK).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And seeing so many of them makes me wonder: do they actually have a point in why they think Bandana Dee doesn't deserve to be a fighter?
Of course not, silly. What would the point even be? Bandana Dee is an iconic, popular, relevant character with a huge recurring in a big Nintendo series and a unique design and skillset. That's better credentials for getting into Smash than most characters out there.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Of course not, silly. What would the point even be? Bandana Dee is an iconic, popular, relevant character with a huge recurring in a big Nintendo series and a unique design and skillset. That's better credentials for getting into Smash than most characters out there.
I would be so happy if he got into Smash.^-^
(I also noticed that I'm not on the Supporters list.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know we've gone over this already, but I feel it should be addressed again. I've been hearing about more and more people hate on Bandana Dee, and every time, I keep wondering if they're correct. It's not like Geno or other guys where a few people hate on them because they're popular. There is a legitimately large group of big names like Gamexplain, TerminalMontage, Nathaniel Bandy and (new to today) JWittz who are against Bandana Dee (to name only a few), with the only major Youtuber we have against them being Failboat. Sure other characters get hate from a people like Shantae or the aforementioned Geno, but they don't have a big laundry list of names rallying against them in the name of "Hat Goomba" or "Meme Pick". And seeing so many of them makes me wonder: do they actually have a point in why they think Bandana Dee doesn't deserve to be a fighter?

(yes I know JWittz was respectful about it saying that he'd enjoy Smash anyway unlike Gamexplain who pushed their ideas as fact and TerminalMontage who made memes of him throwing a Bandana Dee fan off a cliff but still)

I'd agree with that statement if Sakurai and Furukawa's words didnt imply no already-represented franchises and no Nintendo, but even then, I think they'd go for Urshifu just to promote DLC and he looks like he would be in Smash (the latter isn't really a cold, hard point but IDK).
why should we care what some "big" youtubers say? they can hate bandana all they want it doesnt take away from his moveset potential, his overall popularity and his bigger role in the series. a characters lack of popularity wouldnt be a hurdle either, how many smash characters do we have who werent popular. also there are probably plenty of people who hate geno cause of other reasons.

the comment that sakurai made about there not being any nintendo characters was a presumption made from a relatively vague statement

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
why should we care what some "big" youtubers say? they can hate bandana all they want it doesnt take away from his moveset potential, his overall popularity and his bigger role in the series. a characters lack of popularity wouldnt be a hurdle either, how many smash characters do we have who werent popular. also there are probably plenty of people who hate geno cause of other reasons.

the comment that sakurai made about there not being any nintendo characters was a presumption made from a relatively vague statement
See, the reason we have to care is because the people who watch these youtubers start to act like what a person said is entirely fact. After Bandy said Waddle Dee could be an echo fighter of Kirby (literally how), a bunch of people started commenting this around.
It just really irks me when people who have a large following don't bother to try and research a character or franchise properly simply write off characters because they don't know how important a character is. Same with characters like Crash; we're going into 2020 with people still saying "all he can do is spin" - it kind of feels like video game discussion doesn't exist sometimes...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
See, the reason we have to care is because the people who watch these youtubers start to act like what a person said is entirely fact. After Bandy said Waddle Dee could be an echo fighter of Kirby (literally how), a bunch of people started commenting this around.
It just really irks me when people who have a large following don't bother to try and research a character or franchise properly simply write off characters because they don't know how important a character is. Same with characters like Crash; we're going into 2020 with people still saying "all he can do is spin" - it kind of feels like video game discussion doesn't exist sometimes...
well isnt that the whole point of this thread? not just for all us bandana dee to talk about him but to spread the word and to try and convince people of what he can do and what he can bring to smash. mind you if people take things in youtube opinion videos as fact then that is their probably, and doesnt paint them in a positive light. people ruling out a character "cause all he can do is spin" suggests they really dont get smash, all the ice climbers could do was swing their hammers. i dont want crash cause he annoys me deeply.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
well isnt that the whole point of this thread? not just for all us bandana dee to talk about him but to spread the word and to try and convince people of what he can do and what he can bring to smash. mind you if people take things in youtube opinion videos as fact then that is their probably, and doesnt paint them in a positive light. people ruling out a character "cause all he can do is spin" suggests they really dont get smash, all the ice climbers could do was swing their hammers. i dont want crash cause he annoys me deeply.
Well, it's hard to convince people who come on to the thread and say stuff like we belong in a mental asylum while then ignoring all further posts.

P47

Smash Apprentice

Completely anecdotal but I feel like Kirby gets glossed over by a lot of "hardcore Nintendo" fans and content creators. Also I've met too many people irl that say the only Kirby game they've played is KSSU (which they've all really liked) and who believe that Kirby is represented just fine in Smash (Dreamland, Adventure, Superstar, SSU, and maybe Epic Yarn might be the only Kirby games that exist to them -_- ).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, it's hard to convince people who come on to the thread and say stuff like we belong in a mental asylum while then ignoring all further posts.
people like that are trolls and should be ignored and/or reported to mods for deliberate antagonism

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet
Just like how the only good sonic games where the geneses games

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think if Spirits get promoted Bandana Dee will be one of the first in line along with Geno. His popularity in online polls is too big for Nintendo and Sakurai to ignore.

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet
Completely anecdotal but I feel like Kirby gets glossed over by a lot of "hardcore Nintendo" fans and content creators. Also I've met too many people irl that say the only Kirby game they've played is KSSU (which they've all really liked) and who believe that Kirby is represented just fine in Smash (Dreamland, Adventure, Superstar, SSU, and maybe Epic Yarn might be the only Kirby games that exist to them -_- ).

image won't load
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78302782?page=9
Link shows were I got the image

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't ever give up on Bandana Dee. Who cares if not everyone wants him in he has your guys support.

And that's what matters.

Rooting for him as always!

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Actually, people tend to feel Pokemon is fine as it is, even though gens 3 and 5 have no rep, gen 2 has a semi-clone, and gen 1 has 6 whole characters... I always get annoyed with the people who say "this franchise has too much representation", but then want Mario to have even more, as if they don't already make up 14% of the roster. I even saw someone try to say that Rosalina was technically repping Galaxy as its own franchise due to her getting a unique victory theme, but I don't buy it. She still has the mushroom emblem.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ironically, GameXplain actually acknowledged the controversy in their latest discussion video on who Fighter 5 is.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Actually, people tend to feel Pokemon is fine as it is, even though gens 3 and 5 have no rep, gen 2 has a semi-clone, and gen 1 has 6 whole characters... I always get annoyed with the people who say "this franchise has too much representation", but then want Mario to have even more, as if they don't already make up 14% of the roster. I even saw someone try to say that Rosalina was technically repping Galaxy as its own franchise due to her getting a unique victory theme, but I don't buy it. She still has the mushroom emblem.
That's why I made a similar image at one point
mario vs fe vs pokemon.jpg
Although to be fair, Chrom and the success of Three Houses, as opposed to Incineroar and the controversy of Sword & Shield, are better examples of proof that they'll get more than just salt from the haters.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
That's why I made a similar image at one point
View attachment 257419
Although to be fair, Chrom and the success of Three Houses, as opposed to Incineroar and the controversy of Sword & Shield, are better examples of proof that they'll get more than just salt from the haters.
Well... this comment aged well. :laugh: (Not trying to be rude, just poking fun at the last DLC)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
you but theres a lot of other popular games in general that dont have chracters
I'm saying that Byleth is not indicative of Bandana Dee's odds in the slightest.

Top Bottom