• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet
Seeing Yoshi made me wish star allies was still being worked on.When is the next Q&A

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I'm still waiting for the "Mario Kart" version of smash bros with all nintendo franchises crossing over to race. I know MK8(D) has Zelda and Animal Crossing in it now, but I want Kirby, Starfox, hell even earthbound to be in the races. Plus, it's way easier to implement characters in mario kart than in smash especially since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe streamlined stats compared to the original version. Just a few animations gotta be changed, and there we go. (Plus I'm really tired of MK8D...it's the same as last game from an outside view with some new stuff that gets old pretty quick). I'd love to see a Castle DDD track with waddle dees running around. Get Dedede, and B.W.D in a kart and there we go!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm still waiting for the "Mario Kart" version of smash bros with all nintendo franchises crossing over to race. I know MK8(D) has Zelda and Animal Crossing in it now, but I want Kirby, Starfox, hell even earthbound to be in the races. Plus, it's way easier to implement characters in mario kart than in smash especially since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe streamlined stats compared to the original version. Just a few animations gotta be changed, and there we go. (Plus I'm really tired of MK8D...it's the same as last game from an outside view with some new stuff that gets old pretty quick). I'd love to see a Castle DDD track with waddle dees running around. Get Dedede, and B.W.D in a kart and there we go!
For now, I'd expect Kirby at most. Lord knows how salty some MK fans still feel about :ultrosalina:'s bait and switch trailer.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Can't help but think of that bold line as Kirby Kart: Double Dash. Dedede and Bandana Dee would make so much sense for a team. I'm thinking...

Kirby & Keeby/Gooey
Dedede & Bandana Dee
Meta Knight & Blade Knight
Magolor & Marx
Taranza & Suzie
Adeleine & Ribbon
Rick & Koo/Nago ?
Dark Meta Knight & Galacta Knight/Morpho Knight

Other good options would be Chef Kawasaki, Daroach, Hyness, Mage Sisters, etc, but I don't know what teams I could make with those.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Can't help but think of that bold line as Kirby Kart: Double Dash. Dedede and Bandana Dee would make so much sense for a team. I'm thinking...

Kirby & Keeby/Gooey
Dedede & Bandana Dee
Meta Knight & Blade Knight
Magolor & Marx
Taranza & Suzie
Adeleine & Ribbon
Rick & Koo/Nago ?
Dark Meta Knight & Galacta Knight/Morpho Knight

Other good options would be Chef Kawasaki, Daroach, Hyness, Mage Sisters, etc, but I don't know what teams I could make with those.
Long live Double Dash! The one mechanic that could make freshen up the formula once again!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Hmm, after reading posts about Bandana Dee on Gamefaqs... I feel so bad for our brethren and sistren over there. He seems to get more bashing there, and despite P. Plant, 'hat goomba' still seems to exist.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Hmm, after reading posts about Bandana Dee on Gamefaqs... I feel so bad for our brethren and sistren over there. He seems to get more bashing there, and despite P. Plant, 'hat goomba' still seems to exist.
As a fan of both Shantae and Bandana Dee (who are probably the 2 most undeservedly hated characters, besides Waluigi), I've heard a lot of hate for both from there. It seems like the hate for the hated's amplified over there. Some communities are just more toxic than others. They're just lucky they have Sakurai bias on their side.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
As a fan of both Shantae and Bandana Dee (who are probably the 2 most undeservedly hated characters, besides Waluigi), I've heard a lot of hate for both from there. It seems like the hate for the hated's amplified over there. Some communities are just more toxic than others. They're just lucky they have Sakurai bias on their side.
Funny you mention that, because the detractors over there seem to think that Sakubias doesn't exist. I admit, I had my doubts about it back in Smash 4, and when we saw Masked Dedede and Galacta Knight Alt in Ultimate at first, but I've come to accept that it's a thing.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Funny you mention that, because the detractors over there seem to think that Sakubias doesn't exist. I admit, I had my doubts about it back in Smash 4, and when we saw Masked Dedede and Galacta Knight Alt in Ultimate at first, but I've come to accept that it's a thing.
How do they not realize? It's not glaringly obvious, but the fact that Kirby's most recent stage is from 1996 compared to the 2013s, 2014s and 2017s of other franchises alone should raise a few eyebrows and the fact that Kirby hasn't gotten a new rep since Brawl should raise some more (oh wait. Marx. almost as if they LIKE Sakurai Bias). And then they get mad when Kirby's the one character they don't have to unlock in WOL, when they're gonna just swap to Mario after 4 matches if they even do play through it, while his series' actual representation is breadcrumbs compared to less deserving franchises.

I thought Bandana Dee actually stood a good chance at E3. From there, it slowly dwindled to less likely than Shrek and Goku with the help of the likes of Hat Goomba and Sakurai Bias. As a whole, the potential for "Smash Switch" was like that. It seemed great at the point of the Inkling reveal and then it just slowly fell from there up to the point we're at now, where the potential is next to nothing and maybe even negative.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
they probably use a loop hole of pp not wearing a hat, though at that point their just making up excuses

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
I've heard some more counter arguments against Bandana Dee and i'd hope you ca break it

"Sakurai sees Bandana Dee as a side character"
"Bandana Dee's an enhanceable Spirit in SSBU"
"He's a bland moveset"
"He suits more as Assist"

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've heard some more counter arguments against Bandana Dee and i'd hope you ca break it

"Sakurai sees Bandana Dee as a side character"
"Bandana Dee's an enhanceable Spirit in SSBU"
"He's a bland moveset"
"He suits more as Assist"
1) we don't really know how Sakurai sees the character - it's not like he's commented specifically on Bandanna Dee in the past.

2) Geno's an ordinary spirit in SSBU, and he's still one of the most popular choices for DLC. We don't know if there's going to be any overlap between pre-existing spirits and DLC characters, since nothing's been said on the topic. At the very least, it seems like an odd move to rule out an overwhelming majority of Nintendo's characters because there's a single still image of them in the base game.

3) between Return to Dream Land and Star Allies, there's a decent amount of material to work with. Saying that a character would have a bland moveset in a game like Smash Bros. seems to show a lack of imagination, seeing as we've gotten Little Mac (who can only punch), Wii Fit Trainer (who uses yoga moves), and Piranha Plant (whose main form of attack in Mario games is moving up and down)

4) that's purely a matter of opinion (in my eyes, there are plenty of characters who are assists that would work well as playable characters, like Isaac, Midna, Takamaru, Saki, Skull Kid, etc., and I don't expect that everyone is going to agree with me), but it's not like we're getting assist trophies through DLC if Smash 4 is any indication.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
The absolute toxic part of the Smash Community is nothing short of a dumpster fire, honestly.

Especially when they actively root AGAINST characters that could potentially be in Smash, while making up their own rules about who could join as well.
Not to mention that their ridiculous bandwagons of hate revolve around wacky ideas that have been disproven time and time again, yet they still decide to set it in stone so they can continue to be completely obnoxious.

It's one thing to have your own opinion, but I swear that the Smash Community sometimes has a hard time coming up with certain opinions that actually make sense.

The fact that people actually still have to tirelessly prove to other people that their character is an "acceptable" choice for Smash is beyond stupid, and the consistent ignorance of the Smash Community is actually pretty insane sometimes.

Within YouTube, Twitter, 4chan, GameFaqs, you name it, you're bound to find stupid arguments within speculation or discussion topics regarding Smash, and it's simply baffling how people can literally take time out of their day to try and squash people's dreams with yet anoher dumb sPiRiTs dEcOnFiRm comment or whatever they can pull out from their worn-out, over-used back pocket.

To put it simply, people like them honestly aren't worth even a letter of discussion, and I've found it to be quite pleasing just to mingle with more positive people instead.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
I think they're running out of characters to bash on since K. Rool and Ridley are in, it's their fuel at this point. Haters always gonna hate but don't let that get to you.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
I think they're running out of characters to bash on since K. Rool and Ridley are in, it's their fuel at this point. Haters always gonna hate but don't let that get to you.
u think gamefaqs was bad, ohhh wait till se see fantendo

Also found a new counter for Bandana Dee

"He does't have a unique personality"

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Since when personality is a standart in Smash? Most characters have personalities that can be summed up with one or two adjectives.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Since when personality is a standart in Smash? Most characters have personalities that can be summed up with one or two adjectives.
To haters, that doesn't matter as long as they got any reason to "justify" their irrational hatred for a certain character pick. With first party all-star options finally almost running dry, it'll be open grounds for that mindset to linger like a bad smell, from this point forward.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
It does hit home. At least Geno has small moments like "Yo, Smithy!", BWD hasn't had enough dialogue to properly define him beyond being Dedede's one of many loyal subordinates and Kirby's lancer (no pun intended).
Well, I actually don't quite agree to that, Bandana Dee actually have a nice personality, that is shown on multiple occasion, he's cowardness in Return of the King followed by his bravery to go face against an opponent he know he can't stop, just by loyalty to his King, then with his song, Apple Juice, that exposé how much this loss affected him, and how it motivated him to get stronger to protect his Great King, then Battle Royale that happened where he is praticly the protagonist of the whole thing since Kirby can't talk, and he can, and there is also the various description of him in the games that show his friendly, loyal and brave personality, he does have a personality, but like the whole Kirby Lore, if you don't want to see it, you can go through the entire game without seing it

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And then they get mad when Kirby's the one character they don't have to unlock in WOL, when they're gonna just swap to Mario after 4 matches
Nah, when I started playing WOL, I played Kirby until I got Marth.

The absolute toxic part of the Smash Community is nothing short of a dumpster fire, honestly.

Especially when they actively root AGAINST characters that could potentially be in Smash, while making up their own rules about who could join as well.
Not to mention that their ridiculous bandwagons of hate revolve around wacky ideas that have been disproven time and time again, yet they still decide to set it in stone so they can continue to be completely obnoxious.

It's one thing to have your own opinion, but I swear that the Smash Community sometimes has a hard time coming up with certain opinions that actually make sense.

The fact that people actually still have to tirelessly prove to other people that their character is an "acceptable" choice for Smash is beyond stupid, and the consistent ignorance of the Smash Community is actually pretty insane sometimes.

Within YouTube, Twitter, 4chan, GameFaqs, you name it, you're bound to find stupid arguments within speculation or discussion topics regarding Smash, and it's simply baffling how people can literally take time out of their day to try and squash people's dreams with yet anoher dumb sPiRiTs dEcOnFiRm comment or whatever they can pull out from their worn-out, over-used back pocket.

To put it simply, people like them honestly aren't worth even a letter of discussion, and I've found it to be quite pleasing just to mingle with more positive people instead.
A lot of people in the Smash community take their opinion as the facts whether than it being just their opinion. Which, I find really toxic and untelligent to be honest.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

I don't understand why the people at GameFaqs do that stuff. Like I can't tell if they think they are actually right in their thinking or if they're just trolling. Probably the latter, but I don't see how people can stand being in such a negative and toxic part of the Smash community.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't understand why the people at GameFaqs do that stuff. Like I can't tell if they think they are actually right in their thinking or if they're just trolling. Probably the latter, but I don't see how people can stand being in such a negative and toxic part of the Smash community.
I think overall the majority of people at GameFaqs and 4Chan don't really care about Smash, but love seeing fan favorites get deconfirmed left from right. Seeing fanbases lose their character is fun to them.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think overall the majority of people at GameFaqs and 4Chan don't really care about Smash, but love seeing fan favorites get deconfirmed left from right. Seeing fanbases lose their character is fun to them.
I don't know why I always get shocked to hear that people get satisfaction and entertainment out of other people's misfortunes. They're the ones that should be laughed at because think about how people outside of Smash Bros would see that. They would be thinking "man, do those people not have anything else better to do?"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile at /m/, they probably lament the fact that there aren't much robots or power armor users in the roster.

/v/ though? If you want to talk about games, that's NOT where you go.

I don't know why I always get shocked to hear that people get satisfaction and entertainment out of other people's misfortunes. They're the ones that should be laughed at because think about how people outside of Smash Bros would see that. They would be thinking "man, do those people not have anything else better to do?"
And then there's people outside the fanbase that just give the entire fanbase the stink eye.

I know I'll get looked at funny for using "that" word, but contrarians are cancer. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Zauka

Smash Rookie
I want bandana dee as DeeLC and I've been wanting him since the ballot but I don't think he is too likely rn, specially because reggie said characters COMPLETELY new to smash (not series, characters) and BD is a spirit, I didn't think he was Deeconfirmed until reggie said that at game awards :C

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I want bandana dee as DeeLC and I've been wanting him since the ballot but I don't think he is too likely rn, specially because reggie said characters COMPLETELY new to smash (not series, characters) and BD is a spirit, I didn't think he was Deeconfirmed until reggie said that at game awards :C
Welcome to Dedede's Waddle Court, Zauka (Can we maybe make that a thing? The Court of Dedede? Since Bandana Dee would likely have a high rank in it). I agree that this first set of 5 aren't the most probable for the little guy, but a second wave would be much more favorable.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I hate that they just get their way like that. And given that Steve is pretty much confirmed at this point, we can't even say that they get a taste of their own medicine. If it pays that much to be toxic, no wonder people are stabbing non-troll fan-favorites in the back! Can we get some serious requests in instead of randoms like Incineroar and Piranha Plant just so they can get their comeuppance?

Welcome to Dedede's Waddle Court, Zauka (Can we maybe make that a thing? The Court of Dedede? Since Bandana Dee would likely have a high rank in it). I agree that this first set of 5 aren't the most probable for the little guy, but a second wave would be much more favorable.
Because the last time Bandana Dee was in a court of any kind went so well and didn't end up in half the Smash fandom hating him...

PuffinToast34

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
Deescord: https://discord.gg/bhAYnqN
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BandanaDeeSSBU

Did someone say Smash Ultimate?!

View attachment 127063

There is still a chance!

Bandana Waddle Dee.

"Hey, it's everyone's idol! Don't let the cute fool you!
He's a brave warrior who may be small,
but his spear packs a huge wallop!"

-In Game Description, Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

Welcome my fellow members of the Bandana Brigade! This thread is for all of us who love the Kirby series and love Bandana Dee to come together as a community. Anyone is free to contribute to the thread as long as good netiquette is in place.

Who is Bandana Dee?

Bandana Dee, aka Bandana Waddle Dee, is one of the protagonists in the Kirby's Return to Dreamland game for the Nintendo Wii.
Kirby's Return to Dreamland isn't actually the first time our little bandana friend has made an appearance, he actually goes all the way back to Kirby Super Star, where he competed against Kirby in the Megaton Punch minigame. From there he has appeared in Kirby Super Star Ultra (important role in the story), Kirby Mass Attack (cameo), Kirby's Return to Dreamland (playable character), the Kirby's 20th Anniversary game (cameo), Kirby Triple Deluxe (supporting character), Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (playable character), Kirby Planet Robobot (supporting character), Kirby Team Clash Deluxe (supporting character), Kirby Battle Royale (supporting character) and Kirby Star Allies (playable character).

Why Bandana Dee?

Sakurai's criteria for selecting characters [Excerpt from GDC 2008]:
Bandana Dee is a character that fits all of those four points. For starters, even though he may not be a character brought up frequently he is relevant enough to not be obscure, while being under the radar just enough to outsiders or people unfamiliar with Kirby to be a surprising addition. While how much a character will make people want to play the game is hard to measure and pretty subjective, with nearly a thousand supporters on just smashboards, I think it's safe to say he qualifies as a character people want to play as. Whether that's because of his playstyle or character, he undeniably has charm, and that without a doubt will make him an attractive character to many people. The character also fits onto Smash bros like a glove, the guy already has a moveset in Kirby's Return to Dreamland that resembles a smash moveset. Not only that, but he has this one ability that brings something completely new in terms of gameplay to the roster. He's a spear-wielder, he fights using a spear. While some fine gentlemen and gentlewomen will bring up characters from Fire Emblem, or try to lump Krystal into the conversation; Bandana Dee is really the only character who has a fleshed out, pre-built, spear moveset that Sakurai can work with and adapt into the game.

What do spears add to the roster anyway?

Spears are possibly the most used weapon in all of history, and for great reason, their cheap to make, have a great reach and are incredibly versatile. Bandana Dee would be unique in that he represents a common style that isn't anywhere in the game, martially speaking. Also, spears generally performed well in battles with multiple people on each side as opposed to just individual battles, since their long reach allows the spear user to attack safely from behind their own ranks, so this could translate to Bandana Dee being a interesting character to use in doubles. To further my point on how a spear would make Bandana Dee unique in combat I'm going to cite an excerpt from the Bandana Ballot website.

Excerpt said:
"Historically, some spears–specifically those made for hunting–are specially designed to keep its victim stuck after the initial penetration, effectively “wedging” prey to make it harder to escape in the scenario that they’re still alive. If we were to treat Bandana Dee’s spear with similar qualities, this “wedging” ability would prove to be a very beneficial quality. Say we were to stab Sonic through the chest. If the hitbox of the spear’s shaft were to be the final piece of damage Sonic receives, this would do well in pulling him towards Bandana Dee at the end of the attack. However, if he were to only strike Sonic with the tip of the spear–as in, the primary spike at the end of the stick–this could inversely do more damage and perform increased knockback away from Bandana Waddle Dee. In having both of these qualities, Bandana Waddle Dee can initiate the start of a combo, being able to space the opponent at his discretion if proficient enough at striking with just the right part of the spear for the situation. Unlike Marth, who merely does increased damage and knockback at his sword’s tip, Bandana Waddle Dee would be a character that focuses on controlling his opponent’s spacing, not merely capitalizing on his own.

But what if we took this a step further? Bandana Waddle Dee’s primary attributes, as described in the previous section, would make him much more grounded than the other Kirby characters. So between being able to control the opponent’s spacing and not faring well in aerial combat, why not focus on pulling characters out of their aerial element instead? Bandana Waddle Dee’s spear could not only bring opponents towards him, but also downwards, which would make him effective at crippling aerial characters due to being able to keep them out of the air. From there, Bandana Dee could best his opponents not from being an amazing ground-fighter in of himself, but rather, by forcing them into the unfavorable position of fighting where their quickest and most powerful moves are much more difficult to utilize. Strategy that takes advantage of this spacing control. In other words, something of an inverted Jigglypuff that forces opponents onto the ground rather than juggling them into the air. Bandana Waddle Dee, the first aerial-character slayer. It has a nice ring to it. "

Frequently Mentioned Objections

1.- Kirby series does not need four characters.

There really is no way to tell since "need" is such a subjective word. If Kirby, Meta knight, King Dedede, and Bandana Dee were all playable in a roster with forty-five characters, that only gives the Kirby series representation of 8.88% for the entire roster. Also, in Smash U and 3DS we have 6 Fire Emblem characters and 3 Kid Icarus characters, and even if you were to combine both series's sales and popularity outside of Smash Bros they wouldn't even come close to scratching Kirby's. Kirby is Nintendo's sixth (or fifth if you don't count wii sports/fit as a series) biggest franchise and while it's debatable whether or not it needs a new character, it certainly wouldn't hurt to add one, and it's one of the more deserving series out there statistically.

Not only that, but with Rosalina being added almost solely for moveset potential, her popularity and important roles in the new Mario games (just like Bandana Dee in the new Kirby games), Bandana Dee seems far more plausible than before.

2.- Bandana Dee is just a generic enemy and his name is just Waddle Dee.

No, he is not just a generic enemy, he is now one of the most important characters of the Kirby games, he is more powerful than normal Waddle Dees, is an expert with the spear/parasol and is King Dedede's right hand man.

Also, the whole generic creature argument is very subjective, you wouldn't use it against Yoshi, would you? Yoshi's just another specific creature from a race who had a special skill or event. Bandana Dee is a spear-wielding master, much more powerful than a normal one, whereas Yoshi helped Baby Mario in his games, giving him much more importance than a normal Yoshi. If we were to use this argument against Bandana Dee, it wouldn't be insane anymore to say that Yoshi or Lucario should be cut for the exact same reasons, which, obviously, neither of those two should be cut, probably because the reason's null and void.

Another misinformed argument that some people have used against Bandana Dee is that if Bandana Dee is playable, then Goombario would deserve to be playable too, because some people think Bandana Dee is just a generic enemy with a hat like Goombario.

Goombario is not as important or relevant as Bandana Dee, he has the same abilities of a normal Goomba and his only important role is in Paper Mario (Helper). He has the same importance of Goombella, Koops, Watt or Flurrie (Minor characters in a huge franchise), Bandana Dee is the fourth main Character of an entire Franchise.

Piranha Plant is a DLC newcomer in Smash Ultimate, totally destroying the generic enemy argument.

And about Bandana Dee's name, his name is Waddle Dee in some games, but his official name in Kirby Triple Deluxe is Bandana Waddle Dee, and in the website it even says Bandana Dee.

In Rainbow Curse it's Waddle Dee again, but that doesn't make his Triple Deluxe name less important, and even if he was just to be named Waddle Dee, it wouldn't matter much, there isn't a Waddle Dee trophy in Smash U so he wouldn't even share a trophy, and even if he shares his name with his species, that doesn't disqualify him in any way, unless you want to disqualify:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultrob::ultgnw::ultyoshi::ultinkling::ultfox::ultwolf:and :ultpiranha: too.​

This generic creature rule and that generic name rule, it can't only apply to Waddle Dee, either it applies to all of these characters or none of them, you can't just make exceptions for no reason to use it as a weapon against Dee exclusively, pick one or the other. And since those characters are in the game, I think we both know that those rules don't really exist.

His name in the recent games like Kirby Star Allies is Bandana Waddle Dee and sometimes it's abreviated as B.W.Dee like in Kirby Battle Royale.

3.-Bandana Dee is not as important as King Dedede or Meta Knight.

That may be true, but the reason is because his role as an important character is recent, the advantage the other two have is history, but now, in the recent games, Bandana Dee is as important as Meta Knight or King Dedede.

-Sakurai's Retweet.

http://twitpic.com/9e0k03
Sakurai retweeted this pic for Kirby's 20th Anniversary, so he knows about the importance of Bandana Dee.

-Bandana Dee in Kirby's Dream Collection's Intro (Wii).

This is a game about Kirby's history, Bandana Dee's important role was pretty recent when this game was released, but he still appears in it with Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight and two Waddle Dees celebrating Kirby's 20th Anniversary.

-Bandana Dee's Roles in Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS).

He has two roles in this game, even when Meta Knight only has cameos.
Bandana Dee is in charge of the StreetPass.

And also helps Kirby in his adventure.

-Stone Kirby.

One of Stone Kirby's transformations in Triple Deluxe is a statue of King Dedede, Meta Knight and Bandana Dee.

-StreetPass Mii Plaza Hat.

Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight AND BANDANA WADDLE DEE are StreetPass Mii Plaza outfits.

-The Official Club Nintendo Kirby Pin.

It has four characters, not three.

-Bandana Dee in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Wii).

In this new game Bandana Dee has another important role and also copies of himself with different colours, just like Kirby in the multiplayer Kirby games.

The Bandana Dee copies were created by Elline.

Also, King Dedede and Meta Knight don't have important roles in this game, just cameos as figurines.

-Bandana Dee in Kirby Planet Robobot (3DS).

Bandana Dee and the other main characters have a lot of stickers.

He also helps Kirby in his adventure, just like in Kirby Triple Deluxe.

-Bandana Dee in Super Smash Flash 2 (fan-made game).

Bandana Dee is a character in the most popular fan-made Smash game: Smash Flash 2.
This proves that he is a very requested character.

-Bandana Dee in Kirby Clash Deluxe (3DS).

In this e-shop game he explains the rules and gives you advices during your adventure.

-Bandana Dee in Kirby Battle Royale (3DS).

Bandana Dee appears as Kirby's partner during the adventure mode.

Some curious facts about this game:

-Bandana Dee uses the Parasol ability instead of Spear, even when Spear is also present in the game, this means he has more moveset potential for Smash, he could choose between using a parasol, a spear or both.

-In this game all Waddle Dees make sounds, so Bandana Dee not being mute in Smash is a possibility.

-Bandana Waddle Dee is the name that he receives in this game and it is abbreviated during battle (B.W. Dee)

-Kirby Star Allies (Nintendo Switch).

He appears as a playable character with the Spear ability and is treated like the important character he is.

IT'S OBVIOUS THAT BANDANA DEE IS ONE OF THE FOUR MAIN CHARACTERS NOW.

4.-He is a Smash Run enemy.

He is not the same character as the generic Waddle Dees presented in Smash Run or Dedede's victory screen.
Also, R.O.B. was an enemy in the Subspace Emissary yet playable. It really wouldn't be 'confusing' anyway since Mario had a Wario costume alt in Brawl and Dark Pit is a newcomer in Smash 4.

Also, it's highly likely that Bandana Dee's bandana was given to him by the developers literally for the purpose of not letting him be mixed up with regular Waddle Dees, the color Blue contrasts with Orange and are complementary colors, they contrast in such a way that the blue on Bandana Dee really "pops", it'd be near impossible to mix up Bandana Dee with a regular Waddle Dee even in the heat of battle because of that.

5.-Sakurai's Modesty.

That argument was stronger before Brawl because:
-Sakurai changed his mind and added Dedede and Meta Knight.
-The Kirby characters are the most important characters in the SSE.
-Meta Knight is broken and the strongest Brawl character by quite a few miles.
-Sakurai voiced Dedede.
-Meta Knight having an unique Victory Theme in Brawl.
-Kirby being the only survivor in World of Light.

Also, Sakurai worked on Kid Icarus: Uprising after all and look at the content it is getting:
-Pit got an overhaul.
-Kid Icarus has nearly 60 trophies.
-Numerous weapons from that game are items and a lot of monsters are enemies in Smash Run.
-The game is getting a massive stage on the Wii U version and a stage on the 3DS version.
-Palutena is a newcomer.
-Palutena is the only character (with Mii Fighters) to have fully unique custom moves, which brings her count of specials up to twelve.
-Dark Pit is a newcomer.
-Kid Icarus is treated like an A Tier Nintendo franchise, only after one 3DS game.

Along with all that, Mr. Sakurai also admitted to being a big fan of Fire Emblem and that series in particular got 7 representatives this game, so I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't mind giving content to a series he likes a lot.

How to properly support Bandana Dee.

How to deal with deetractors without causing too large of a riot.
The fact of the matter is, sometimes ignoring the arguments can do more harm than good. They plant a seed against the campaign, and fool people into thinking something about the character that actually isn't true. (I was actually fooled into believing something about Snake once upon a time.. Another well educated user on this forum corrected my erroneous thought though.) This is ESPECIALLY likely on larger media sites, like youtube for example. (This applies to all campaigns actually, and can be used to prevent false information from spreading around..) Anyway:

- Pay attention to the situation. If they are just saying things like "I just don't think <insert character> will get in" or "I'm not a fan of <character>", there is no need to start a confrontation. What you really need to look for are the strawman arguments and other detractions. That is when you prepare to engage the user.

- Politely, and calmly take on the user's claims. Use the real solid evidence and counter arguments to shoot down the detractions, but not necessarily through cursing (Cursing is NEVER the way to make a point... It just makes you look stupid, and reflects badly on the campaign as well..)

- If the user prepares more arguments, proceed to picking those apart. If they try to continue to hoist their arguments like they are fact, even though you just shot them down, politely bid them farewell, and just leave it be. There is no reason trying to argue with a troll. What matters is that you planted your seed of reason. Most will see that response, and will know better, thanks to your efforts.

-If the former happened, continue to press on until you reach that inevitable checkmate. They will eventually start trying to pull out of it by saying the likes of "There is no point in arguing" or something like that. When they stop giving arguments, its not that they don't want to argue.. it's just they have ran out of ammo to argue with.. You have just shut them down.

-Don't try to detract from other characters, if possible. This is often the sort of thing that will start a flame war. If you start talking trash about another character ( ESPECIALLY in their own thread..), you WILL get negative feed back, and your point will be lost. Instead, keep detractions against competition to a minimum. ONLY engage against that character if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. For example if they are using that character as the back bone for their arguments.. Even then, try to be nice about toasting them. Throw arguments as to why that character wouldn't get in over the character they are detracting. (Again, be polite.. don't necessarily flat out state their character will not join smash, as that too, could start an unnecessary flame war.)

Remember: Your goal is to prevent your character from being dragged down by poor arguments. It is NOT to pick apart other campaigns. In a way, think of it as defusing a bomb. If you go about it hostilely, and negatively, you could end up cutting the wrong wire, and causing the whole thing to blow up. We of course don't want that. Care is key in these situations to prevent campaign wars (and of course attention of moderators...)

All in all, the most important thing to take out of all this: Be calm, be smart, and be polite. If you shut down the arguments politely, things will be fine.

MOVESETS!

-Jumps: Two.
-Jump Height: Same as Kirby.
-Falling Speed: Same as Mario.
-Weight: Same as Meta Knight.
-Walking Speed: Same as Kirby.
-Dash Speed: Same as Pikachu.

-Ground Attacks.

-Neutral: He jabs with his spear, does another jab, and finishes of with a quick flurry of jabs. First 4%, second 3%, all after 1-2%.

-Forward Tilt: A short poke with his spear. 7%

-Down Tilt: He sweeps across the floor with his spear. This can trip. 6%

-Up Tilt: A long overhead jab with his spear. 8%

-Dash Attack: His classic slow roll. 7%

-Aerial Attacks.

-Neutral: He spins in a circle horizontally with his spear outstretched. Body 2%, handle 4%, and tip 7%

-Forward: He sweeps his spear forward. 14%

-Down: He puts his spear under him, stalling, and falls quickly. 12%

-Up: A short jab with his spear. 12%

-Back: He kicks back. 11%

-Smash Attacks.

-Forward: A powerful thrust of his spear. This can be tilted. Uncharged 15%. Charged 19%.

-Down: He punches the ground, like a megaton punch. Uncharged 12%. Charged 16%.

-Up: He attacks with one single and powerful hit of his parasol. Uncharged 14%. Charged 18%.

-Grabs.

-Pummel: A quick headbutt. 2%

-Forward: He grabs the opponent with both hands and throws him forwards a short distance. 6%

-Down: He puts them down and body slams them. 6%

-Back: He quickly turns around and flings the opponent behind him. 7%

-Up: He sets the opponent on his parasol, spins it, and flings them off. 8%

-Other Attacks.

-Fallen: He kicks one leg out, gets up, and kicks the other out. First hit 4%. Last hit 4%.

-Ledge Attack: He gets up and delivers a small poke with the end of his spear. 7%

-Special Attacks.

-Neutral: Spear Throw.

Waddle Dee throws a spear. If you charge this attack long enough he will throw three at once. 8%.

-Side: Nruff Rider.

Based on the Waddle Dees riding Nruffs from Dream Land 3 and Return to Dreamland, Bandana Dee summons a Nruff and tackles opponents, you can jump out of it. 14%

-Down: Waddle Bounce.

He does the classic short hop of the Waddle Dees, but transformed in a ball like the Waddle Dee ball in Kirby Canvas Curse doing damage to anyone hit. This move can be canceled into any other move when it hits. 3%

-Up: Spearcopter.

Waddle Dee spins his spear quickly overhead like a helicopter damaging anyone that touches it. This makes him go straight up a small ways and then hover for a short time afterwards, going the direction pointed. This move traps. First hits 1%. Last hit 5%.

-Final Smash: Waddle Dee Tank.

The Waddle Dee Tank appears in the middle of the stage and shoot slow but very powerful missiles at Bandana Dee's opponents. Bandana Dee can attack normally during his Final Smash. The Waddle Dee Tank acts like a giant platform/wall.
-Taunts.

-Up: He fixes his bandana.

-Side: He jumps beats the end of his spear on the ground.

-Down: He covers his eyes for a moment then uncovers them while shaking as if he is scared.

COLOURS!

For your Signature:

Supporters List.
  1. Chandeelure
  2. Planet Zeb(es)~
  3. Bandana Dee3
  4. Jason the Yoshi
  5. Aussie the Naturist
  6. Sir Gengar de Ectoplasma
  7. Tortilla Noggin
  8. Zero Soul
  9. Yomi's Biggest Fan
  10. Cutie Gwen
  11. Xeno610
  12. God Robert's Cousin
  13. Strider_Bond00J
  14. MarioMeteor
  15. lady_sky_skipper
  16. dangeraaron
  17. Laniv
  18. Drizzlebow
  19. Freduardo
  20. fogbadge
  21. Chalo5000
  22. Kirbeh
  23. Drs. Falkoopa
  24. smashkirby
  25. KeybladeSmasher
  26. CrossDispatcher
  27. Xeno VII
  28. Jiggly
  29. Guybrush20X6
  30. Shadow Keebey
  31. Cool Trainer Ace
  32. FunAtParties
  33. Wolfie557
  34. Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4
  35. Tord the Red Leader
  36. Zem-raj
  37. TipO'TheMorning
  38. Furret24
  39. Sun & Moon
  40. PsychoJosh
  41. WeirdChillFever
  42. Pacack
  43. AustarusIV
  44. TooBadWaluigiTime
  45. Dr.Turtle
  46. Some Beedrill
  47. Mr. Nintendo
  48. kirbstr
  49. ~ Valkyrie ~
  50. Pikablu Pikachu
  51. Diddy Kong
  52. QrowinSP
  53. Spiwizzle
  54. The Stoopid Unikorn
  55. Sailor Waddle Dee
  56. Cosmic77
  57. Fuzzy Pickles!
  58. Staarifh
  59. Sid-cada
  60. Russell_SSB
  61. Lampy
  62. PSIGuy89
  63. Luminario
  64. Bestmand902
  65. Swamp Sensei
  66. GoldenYuiitusin
  67. Depressed Gengar
  68. GamerGuy09
  69. Elec
  70. BandanaWaddleDee
  71. Megadoomer
  72. Flying_Skitty
  73. Accursed
  74. Jubileus57
  75. BandanaDee
  76. Wasoodle
  77. waddledeeonredyoshi
  78. smileMasky
  79. pupNapoleon
  80. YoshiandToad
  81. Crap-Zapper
  82. CodeBlue_
  83. Pennate
  84. skylanders fan
  85. slambros
  86. Ze Diglett
  87. Raxxel
  88. Logo12
  89. Kremling Man
  90. Pallex
  91. Kitty-chan
  92. Yetiplays
  93. SwitchButton
  94. UnknownM
  95. Ura
  96. DNeon
  97. SuperYoshiom
  98. Dragons Kin
  99. NessSaysOkay
  100. PhilosophicAnimal
  101. SS-bros14
  102. Loungemen
  103. Eisendrachen
  104. Velvet Rebirth
  105. geoluminescent
  106. Inawordyes
  107. starcutter
  108. Mogu
  109. Darktheumbreon
  110. Shyy_Guy595
  111. random rendum
  112. ZRoy
  113. Phoebee
  114. Miifighters4Smash5
  115. Runic_SSB
  116. ShuckleBoard
  117. Angelglory
  118. Camc10
  119. Ghirahilda
  120. Aurora Jenny
  121. Propeller Toad
  122. MacDaddyNook
  123. Con0rrrr
  124. 99_Jydge
  125. CatRacoonBL
  126. smashoperatingbuddy123
  127. D-Man9293
  128. spinda654
  129. Quillion
  130. Morbi
  131. True Blue Warrior
  132. RetroMetalSonic
  133. Princess Toady
  134. WinOrTroll
  135. egaddmario
  136. MrElectroG64
  137. Troykv
  138. StormC
  139. WaddleKing
  140. wizardto1
  141. Nu~
  142. sman3579
  143. DefinitelyNotSascha
  144. Dalek_Kolt
  145. edsett
  146. AVQuasar
  147. Souless_shadow
  148. TempahRelapse
  149. 60Watt
  150. Lyndis4Smash
  151. godzillathewonderdog
  152. Dusty Pumpkin
  153. Mr. Wario
  154. Coofle DeDoofle
  155. Accf124
  156. Brother AJ
  157. Nintenzilla *Reboot*
  158. Reila
  159. jetsurge
  160. FlareHabanero
  161. Phantom Joker
  162. DeeDz
  163. PF9
  164. MoonlitIllusion
  165. PeridotGX
  166. Hypernovaguy64
  167. Chihiro Fujisaki
  168. Kirby Dragons
  169. Dragons Kin
  170. -Master-
  171. SEGAGameBoy
  172. MBRedBoy31
  173. WaddleMatt
  174. smash puffle
  175. metablaze
  176. BluePikmin11
  177. Sarki Soliloquoy
  178. VGamer01
  179. RandomAce
  180. CWCPT00
  181. Sage of Ice
  182. Pacack
  183. Dee Dude
  184. AwesomePerson159
  185. Pokechu
  186. Helmslock
  187. GM_3826
  188. ned_ballad
  189. Ciro Blanco
  190. HenryZusa
  191. ShinyLegendary
  192. ZTurtle
  193. Rie Sonomura
  194. DjinnandTonic
  195. AquaSol
  196. TheDarkMetaKnight
  197. GalacticPetey
  198. Hidan
  199. Isaac: Venus Adept
  200. Souldin
  201. Impa4Smash
  202. Bandanna_Waddle_Dee
  203. Lisbon Mapping
  204. Klimax
  205. MattX20
  206. mini paincakes
  207. Red Hood
  208. UberMadman
  209. OhMyBanana54
  210. Door Key Pig
  211. Obake
  212. Billybae10k
  213. SupriceSupplies
  214. papagenos
  215. Domino11332
  216. Dreamking
  217. Thoughtful Wanderer
  218. Captain Shades
  219. KMDP
  220. BandanaDeemon
  221. Deespacito
  222. Ultinarok
  223. DeltaSceptile
  224. GooberHonker
  225. WallyPalmer
  226. Net317
  227. Shiny Porygon
  228. Latdrop
  229. Anop
  230. Dragoncharystary
  231. TreeBranch
  232. Antimatter042
  233. BlastState
  234. wavesorcerer14
  235. WampaWreckage
  236. Denomon3144
  237. Hero044
  238. Drclaw411
  239. Waddle_dude
  240. Shen Long
  241. DuckHuntDork
  242. ZoroCarlos
  243. 11th
  244. grizby2
  245. Smash Lampjaw
  246. Crank4Smash
  247. PPNY
  248. candyissweet
  249. Calane
  250. rcp24
  251. THE 6r
  252. B´Nana
  253. TheJutin
  254. Acemania
  255. Jatboy1000
  256. Fane
  257. Zathura
  258. Teeb147
  259. lizard1929
  260. Mogisthelioma
  261. BasketballSKM
  262. VoxeD
  263. Heatswave
  264. Rasumii
  265. Toucan_Man
  266. Chumble Spuzz
  267. Zabadoo
  268. Nauzgo
  269. Hollywoodrok12
  270. Michael the Spikester
  271. Gigi14
  272. dimensionsword64
  273. puppylover416
  274. NintenEdgyMan
  275. Mr. Trumo
  276. Plumstar
  277. Squirtle/Mario guy
  278. KeyOh
  279. Tiymako
  280. ToomanyToastahs
  281. Multi-bottle Thief
  282. Vingag
  283. Smashing Ramen
  284. LifelessCorpse
  285. FalconFire93
  286. amazonevan19
  287. Luigifan18
  288. ThyCheshireCat
  289. TheBeastHimself
  290. Marvel-Otaku-Man
  291. FancySmash
  292. AreJay25
  293. Gerrothorax
  294. chocolatejr9
  295. Maikou
  296. gspindles
  297. xAquaCrystal
  298. MrArska
  299. Arymle Roseanne
  300. SleepyPyukumuku
  301. RealPokeFan11
  302. Mariomaniac45213
  303. Pakky
  304. Wurmple for smash
  305. RetrogamerMax
  306. PsySmasher
  307. UtopianPoyzin
  308. Bee Card
  309. TKOWL
  310. JCKirbs
  311. Legendary Spirit Tamer
  312. Rummy
  313. SilverKirby129
  314. shocktarts17
  315. KickleCubiclist
  316. LYD
  317. liquidmetalslime

Special Thanks

-Hyper_Ridley.
For starting the old Bandana Dee thread.
-FalKoopa.
For making me the new owner of the old Bandana Dee thread.
-Ionekonwolf, XenoBrawler610, Liberation, Toxicroaker and God Robert's Cousin, MarioMeteor, Tortilla Noggin, Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma, Chalo5000, Shadow Keebey, Bandana Dee3, Jiggly and Zero Soul.
For being dedicated Bandana Dee supporters.
-Toxicroaker, Starphoenix, XenoBrawler610, GamerGuy09, SmashRiver64, RaccoonBL, Sailor Waddle Dee, Pikablu Pikachu, SS-bros14, Enderman1021, ender_idk and DefinitelyNotSascha.
For making movesets for Bandana Dee.
-SmashRiver64, GamerGuy09, splat, FireTheWFT, TheDarkMetaKnight, Thelimomon and TKOWL.
For making colours for Bandana Dee.
-Dr. Canadian Bacon, SmashRiver64, N3ON, BlueZard. MiniFox5.
For making gifs and signature icons for Bandana Dee.
-Manic Rykker.
For creating the "How to properly support Bandana Dee" section.
-Zebei.
For making the All Character Support Group and the Smash Switch thread.
-SuperSegaSonicSS, AndreaAC and Tortilla Noggin.
For making awesome Kirby art.
-KMDP.
For making the Supporters List.
-Fuzzy Pickles!.
For making the Discord for Bandana Dee supporters.
-People who voted YES in the poll of the old thread.
For supporting Bandana Dee for Smash 4.
-People who are part of the supporters list of this thread.
For supporting Bandana Dee for Smash Ultimate.
-People who voted for Bandana Dee in the Smash Ballot.
For supporting Bandana Dee for Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate.

Also, you need to remember that if you don't support Bandana Dee...

Dbombiallo

Smash Cadet
I would change the down b to the elemental powers in star allies
Bluster/wind- weakens all attacks heavily, but increases speed and knock back and applies to specials
Fire- power ups attacks, lowers knock back, small chance to burn
poison - lowers attacks , high chance to poison
leaf- slightly lowers attacks, can heal by attacking
water- lowers attacks, adds range and speed
Electric- strong attacks stun,adds speed

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Bluster/wind- weakens all attacks heavily, but increases speed and knock back and applies to specials
That would be nice if he absolutely needed a gimmick, but I don't think it's that good of an idea since 1: He'd need to have a Friend/Helper give him that element, which would only help the Goomba Argument, and 2: I think the idea of his stats changing based on his current state would be too similar to Shulk's Monado Arts, which would be fine on someone like Rex with his blades, but not really Bandana Dee.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Electric- strong attacks stun,adds speed
Mmm, I was thinking of this whole thing differently, instead of increasing or decreasing stats like this, just have it change the proprety of his attacks ! Like, Fire make Fire Balls pop up when using the Waddle Copter, Plasma make a Thunder strike ennemies up him when throwing his Spear etc ...
That would be more interesting and even more unique in my opinion

That would be nice if he absolutely needed a gimmick, but I don't think it's that good of an idea since 1: He'd need to have a Friend/Helper give him that element, which would only help the Goomba Argument, and 2: I think the idea of his stats changing based on his current state would be too similar to Shulk's Monado Arts, which would be fine on someone like Rex with his blades, but not really Bandana Dee.
Smash does not need to be entirely canon, taking Shulk for exemple since you used him in your post too, he don't need to hit the ennemies to fill a gauge to use his arts, it's used differently instead with the cooldowns, by the same logic, you don't need Dee to make a friend pop up for those abilities, just give him the ability to do that right away, just like Kirby don't need to inhale an ennemies to get out a hammer etc ...

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Mmm, I was thinking of this whole thing differently, instead of increasing or decreasing stats like this, just have it change the proprety of his attacks ! Like, Fire make Fire Balls pop up when using the Waddle Copter, Plasma make a Thunder strike ennemies up him when throwing his Spear etc ...
That would be more interesting and even more unique in my opinion
That would be a bit OP, wouldn't it? No other fighter can just have attacks going out in all directions like that. It would be next to impossible to avoid.

Smash does not need to be entirely canon, taking Shulk for exemple since you used him in your post too, he don't need to hit the ennemies to fill a gauge to use his arts, it's used differently instead with the cooldowns, by the same logic, you don't need Dee to make a friend pop up for those abilities, just give him the ability to do that right away, just like Kirby don't need to inhale an ennemies to get out a hammer etc ...
Fair enough, but I still think it would be too similar to Shulk. I would implement it differently: if Bandana Dee gets hit by an elemental attack, he gains a damage boost and his spear attacks get that elemental ability. For example, if he gets hit by Bowser's Flamethrower, he would gain Sizzle Spear, with an attack boost, or Shock Spear if hit by Pikachu's Thunder, just like in Star Allies. Since a lot of the elemental abilities are cosmetic (from what I know), the ones that are cosmetic would do a bit more damage to make up for their lack of effects.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
That would be a bit OP, wouldn't it? No other fighter can just have attacks going out in all directions like that. It would be next to impossible to avoid.

Fair enough, but I still think it would be too similar to Shulk. I would implement it differently: if Bandana Dee gets hit by an elemental attack, he gains a damage boost and his spear attacks get that elemental ability. For example, if he gets hit by Bowser's Flamethrower, he would gain Sizzle Spear, with an attack boost, or Shock Spear if hit by Pikachu's Thunder, just like in Star Allies. Since a lot of the elemental abilities are cosmetic (from what I know), the ones that are cosmetic would do a bit more damage to make up for their lack of effects.
Mm, I do feel like they could tone it down to make it good enough for Smash, not too OP, but good enough to be an interesting gimmick

As for feeling too similar to Shulk ... Well, I guess that's fair, one special that change the element of the Spear, even if it's handled totally differently from what Shulk can do, I do get your point

Another solution would be what you just said, when taking damage, he gets his Spear into the element of the attack, but how about it work as some kind of counter ? When countering an attack, he gets a random elements, if the attack in question have a specific effect on it, he get this one for sure on his Spear, that would work nicely I think, and a new kind of counter could be interesting after what they did for Inceneroar

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
If that'll stop people from calling him boring and uninspired, then I'd welcome it wholeheartedly.
If pro-Smashers feel that K. Rool needs a buff instead of a nerf, despite everything that's been said about him, then so be it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom