• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The one thing I wonder is I have no real idea how a Bandana Dee trailer would play out. Maybe some of the villains like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Ridley gang up on Kirby, and then Bandana Dee comes in at the last minute to save him?

My prediction is BDee's reveal trailer will be partnered with someone else in a Smash Direct - he doesn't quite have the "holy **** WTF he made it?!" factor that would make him stand out on his own, which is why in a traditional Smash game I always assumed he would be an unlockable. My thought is he might get revealed alongside Simon or someone later on.

Then the tag can be the four Kirby characters hanging out like in Star Allies:

I always imagine a trailer where King K. Rool is fighting King Dedede in his castle, you can see some Waddle Dees fighting with Kritters in the background. Then Dedede is damaged and falls, King K. Rool is about to attack him, but Bandana Dee saves him.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd like a team-up trailer with Captain Toad, probably due the similarities between both characters' legacies up to this point.

But yeah, I think being accompanied by other characters for a charming team-up would make Dee look best.

Heck, maybe have him be some surprise foe in some "arena" fight that few of the Smashers come to take on, slowly being revealed as they walk in there.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Magolor
Taranza
Susie
the Jambastion Mages

I'm still hoping they'll make a 4th wave with spin-off Kirby characters and characters from other HAL games (Qbby and Part time UFO)
Don't forget prince Fluff that would round out as 3 dream friends for the spin offs

D

Deleted member

Two of my most wanted characters King K. Rool, and Bandana Waddle Dee, facing each other. That's a trailer I'd love too see.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget prince Fluff that would round out as 3 dream friends for the spin offs
Yeah, definitely Prince Fluff. and maybe someone like Gryll or Brobo. then Maybe Qbby and UFO could be a tag team like Adeleine and Ribbon so Qbby is able to "fly"

maybe wave 4: Spin offs: (Prince Fluff, Gryll, Brobo)
wave 5: non-kirby games (Qbby, UFO, umm.. the Dog from their logo?)

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

I made a video about the controversial Amiibo data "leak" pointing towards Waddle Dee getting a future Smash Amiibo, and also just Waddle Dees likelihood of becoming a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros Ultimate in general, if anybody wants to check it out.

D

Deleted member

I made a video about the controversial Amiibo data "leak" pointing towards Waddle Dee getting a future Smash Amiibo, and also just Waddle Dees likelihood of becoming a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros Ultimate in general, if anybody wants to check it out.
I'll check it out when I get a chance too count on it, I hope that the, trophy was a sign of something. Please be something.

D

Deleted member

Was good, you brought why you believe Waddle Dee, could be in and evidence to back it up. Only helps his cause in the end. Good job.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
If Bandana Dee gets in, do you think they'll have his name as Bandana Waddle Dee? I mean, I'd be fine with it, but it's a pretty long name. I'm not even sure if it would fit on the victory screen, much less the on character select screen. It would be nice if they went ahead and called him Bandana Dee like we all do, but HAL seems pretty set on Bandana Waddle Dee... I do wish that they would shorten it to Bandana Dee though. It sounds less... direct, so to speak. Perhaps they'll just call him Waddle Dee like in RtDL and Rainbow Curse?

D

Deleted member

I think Waddle Dee, but maybe Bandana Dee something short, but Bandana Waddle Dee could work. Wii Fit Trainer has her full name why, not let the Dee have his?

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I think Waddle Dee, but maybe Bandana Dee something short, but Bandana Waddle Dee could work. Wii Fit Trainer has her full name why, not let the Dee have his?
well bandana waddle dee is much longer than pokemon trainer and wii fit trainer. so i dont mind the downsizing

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I can see either Bandana Dee or Bandana Waddle Dee happening. Even though Waddle Dee has been used as his name a few times (RTD, RC), Waddle Dees have gotten multiple trophies (Melee, Brawl x2 if you count Dedede's final smash trophy), and Parasol Waddle Dees also got a trophy in Smash 3DS. So I think the devs are pretty well aware of the distinction, and will go for either Bandana Waddle Dee or Bandana Dee (should he get in of course).

well bandana waddle dee is much longer than pokemon trainer and wii fit trainer. so i dont mind the downsizing
The difference is only 3/2 characters (16 against 13 against 14 for Dee, Wii-Fit and Pokemon respectively, not counting spaces). Though it is admittedly more of a mouthful, (7 syllabels against 4 against 5) so I can imagine them shortening it. But should they shorten it, I think Bandana Dee's the more likely option.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Bandana Waddle Dee is the same amount of syllables as Rosalina And Luma but Bandana Dee is just so much easier for everyone involved.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I used to prefer Bandana Waddle Dee, but now, I might prefer Bandana Dee better. It's less of a mouthful, and makes him seem like more than a regular Waddle Dee.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I used to prefer Bandana Dee for his name since that was a key point in differenting him from normal Waddle Dees...but honestly I don't really think that matters anymore. His popularity is either going to get him in or not. Plus Bandana Waddle Dee is just clearly the standard name. And I rather just them stick to the standards.

D

Deleted member

Ether way I look forward to whatever it is we'll find put in time and see what is is hopefully soon. If he gets added.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Throw me on the list of supporters! Bandana dee has been my number 1 most wanted smash character from since before smash 4 was released! I sincerely hope he gets in and will not hesitate to main him if he does!

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Ahh yeah I forgot about Rosalina and Luma and Pokemon Trainer. I guess the full title of "Bandana Waddle Dee" just seemed longer since it's three words of decent length (Cuz the shorter "Wii Fit" makes WFT's name feel a little shorter to me for some reason).

I guess the main reason why I'd prefer Bandana Dee is because I feel like if he gets in with the name "Bandana Waddle Dee," there's going to be an influx of people saying stuff like "Oh, if we can have a Bandana Waddle Dee, then why isn't there a Sunglasses Koopa Troopa?" and whatnot. I know people say stuff like that already, but yeah...

Throw me on the list of supporters! Bandana dee has been my number 1 most wanted smash character from since before smash 4 was released! I sincerely hope he gets in and will not hesitate to main him if he does!
Y'know, I think that I'll try to make a pun for any new supporter of Bandana Dee who comes to the thread! Okay, lessee...

Your eagerness to main Bandana Dee is quite admirable! I can see that, like his spear, you're getting right to the POINT.

hehehehehehehe.... geddit?
....Hopefully they'll improve as time goes on....

Last edited:

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Yeah! Add me to the supporter list! This little dude is definitely one of my most wanted this time 'round!

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah! Add me to the supporter list! This little dude is definitely one of my most wanted this time 'round!
Oho, with all our support combined, Bandana Dee shall Domino-ate the competition!

Geddit? Your username is Domino11332? Domino, dominate...?
...I'll see myself out...

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Bring on the Dee. Add me please. So, here's what my idea for his pallets: Default, his four palettes from Star Allies, both versions of GB monochrome and Spear copy ability hat. Maybe for Final Smash, they could recycle the Waddle Dee Army with Bandana Dee leading an onslaught of Waddle Dees. Kinda like the Subspace Emissary cutscene.

PS: I would have the Announcer say "Bandana Dee". It'd be nice if he had an actual name.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Bring on the Dee. So, here's what my idea for his pallets: Default, his four palettes from Star Allies, both versions of GB monochrome and Spear copy ability hat.

PS: I would have the Announcer say "Bandana Dee". It'd be nice if he had an actual name.
I primarily want him to be called Bandana Dee for the tag line “Bandana Dee Waddles Into Battle!”, since it’d be a pun on him being a Waddle Dee

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
I primarily want him to be called Bandana Dee for the tag line “Bandana Dee Waddles Into Battle!”, since it’d be a pun on him being a Waddle Dee
I could easily see them doing that, though I personally would prefer "Bandana Dee Claims His Prize!" since it would be a clever nod to his pause screen in Guest Star Allies as well as his little part on the Star Allies site.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Your puns need a better megaton-punchline.
Alas, like the items destroyed in that Sub-Game, I am quite the BLOCK-head.

Bring on the Dee. Add me please. So, here's what my idea for his pallets: Default, his four palettes from Star Allies, both versions of GB monochrome and Spear copy ability hat. Maybe for Final Smash, they could recycle the Waddle Dee Army with Bandana Dee leading an onslaught of Waddle Dees. Kinda like the Subspace Emissary cutscene.

Ah, another new supporter, thanks for adding to the Dee-scussion!
Sorry that was a really easy one

While I think that the Waddle Dee Army would be a perfectly fine Final Smash, I'm still hoping for Megaton Punch to be his Final Smash. With how cinematic the Ultimate Style of Final Smashes tend to be, I can see a Megaton Punch Final Smash for Bandana Dee being so over-the-top and adorably brutal and badass, that he could win over some people who might have been indifferent otherwise.

Picture it; the opponent lands on the cinder blocks, immobilized, helpless as Bandana Dee charges his punch. As the bar rises, and the pendulum strikes the right spot, the camera zooms in on Bandana Dee's fierce glowing eyes, before he slams down on his opponent with, well, a Megaton Punch, sending them through a planet obliterated by his punch.

Heh, not the best description, but the more I picture the idea in my head, the more I want to see it happen.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Maybe for Final Smash, they could recycle the Waddle Dee Army with Bandana Dee leading an onslaught of Waddle Dees. Kinda like the Subspace Emissary cutscene.
Not bad, but have you considered The Megaton Punch for his Final Smash?

References his first appearance, and his appearance in a Sakurai-made Kirby game.

Also cracks a planet in half with a single punch.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
So since we are getting something Kirby related before the start of August you think they'll do a mini direct? Or is it a bit too soon since we did just get the E3 direct?

D

Deleted member

Don't think we'll get anything anytime soon. Just got hold out hope till later this year. I guess.

D

Deleted member

Yeah it dosen’t appear to be anything new, just some fun competive play for the Japanese players. Good marketing strategy though. Gets them hyped if anything.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I initially hadn't felt like I was anything more than neutral on Bandana Dee joining, but I still take care to learn about what all these popular choices can offer for Smash, and honestly? These "lack of full moveset potential" and "Goomba with a hat" arguments are terribly ignorant. There's plenty to create with a spear if the number of sword movesets present are any indication, and just because they were an enemy first does not make an individual character of that species any less important! I guarantee that everybody would not think of it as a problem if Dee came first and his species followed suit.

So, I realized I sympathized with you all and wanted to come to your defense against unfair judgements because the character not only could and should happen, but it likely will happen if the amiibo datamine is any indication. Plus, Waddle Dees are just freaking adorable and I love the idea of Deestroying people with a tiny cutie that can wield a weapon.

I support the Dee!

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I initially hadn't felt like I was anything more than neutral on Bandana Dee joining, but I still take care to learn about what all these popular choices can offer for Smash, and honestly? These "lack of full moveset potential" and "Goomba with a hat" arguments are terribly ignorant. There's plenty to create with a spear if the number of sword movesets present are any indication, and just because they were an enemy first does not make an individual character of that species any less important! I guarantee that everybody would not think of it as a problem if Dee came first and his species followed suit.

So, I realized I sympathized with you all and wanted to come to your defense against unfair judgements because the character not only could and should happen, but it likely will happen if the amiibo datamine is any indication. Plus, Waddle Dees are just freaking adorable and I love the idea of Deestroying people with a tiny cutie that can wield a weapon.

I support the Dee!
Your consi-dee-ration for the little guy is much appreciated!

And you're definitely right about how people wouldn't give two hoots about Bandana Dee being from a "mook species" if he came first. Yoshi is proof of that.

It kinda bugs me how if a character doesn't have some flashy magic powers or some special gauge, they're apparently "lacking in moveset potential," and "add nothing new to Smash." While I can appreciate unique mechanics, not every character needs to reinvent the wheel to stand out, especially when they're a popular and prominent character like Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee would be visually distinct from other fighters, have his own gameplay style with his spear, and be a popular representative from a long-running and enduring series that is worthy of another fighter.

Thanks again for dropping by and sharing your thoughts as someone who was mostly indifferent to the Dee. I kinda feel like this thread has been slowing down a bit in comparison to some other popular picks like K. Rool and Ashley (both of whom I very much support), so I've been a bit discouraged about Bandana Dee's chances lately. I know that the activity of this thread has no bearing on whether or not Bandana Dee is in or not, but I'm kinda weird like that, haha.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Your consi-dee-ration for the little guy is much appreciated!

And you're definitely right about how people wouldn't give two hoots about Bandana Dee being from a "mook species" if he came first. Yoshi is proof of that.

It kinda bugs me how if a character doesn't have some flashy magic powers or some special gauge, they're apparently "lacking in moveset potential," and "add nothing new to Smash." While I can appreciate unique mechanics, not every character needs to reinvent the wheel to stand out, especially when they're a popular and prominent character like Bandana Dee. Bandana Dee would be visually distinct from other fighters, have his own gameplay style with his spear, and be a popular representative from a long-running and enduring series that is worthy of another fighter.

Thanks again for dropping by and sharing your thoughts as someone who was mostly indifferent to the Dee. I kinda feel like this thread has been slowing down a bit in comparison to some other popular picks like K. Rool and Ashley (both of whom I very much support), so I've been a bit discouraged about Bandana Dee's chances lately. I know that the activity of this thread has no bearing on whether or not Bandana Dee is in or not, but I'm kinda weird like that, haha.
It doesn't help that nearly every Smash 4 newcomer had some special gimmick that set the bar far too high for everybody else. Sometimes, couldn't a... you know... simple fighting game moveset suffice?

I totally get how the lack of activity is discouraging even if it does have no bearing. Just look at how K. Rool is nearly doubling everybody in pages and Ashley has blown up in the last month. It shouldn't matter, though. As I mentioned, you do at least have some evidence on your side. That makes him one of the most likely newcomers by default even without accounting for his popularity.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

I support the Dee!
That is such a objective, sensible point, and well said to boot. I pride myself on trying to be objective, but you my friend, have mastered it. Much respect!

And I simply keep forgetting about that Amiibo leak, lol. Like ZTurtle ZTurtle said, I've been losing a little bit of faith in the Dee's chances lately, but it would be folly to forget about the poignancy of that Amiibo data. Why on earth would he have a second Amiibo on file, if not for Smash? I doubt another Kirby series Waddle Dee is coming, so there's only two options: Smash, or it was an error. I'm definitely banking on the former. Add that to his popularity in many polls, and you've got a character just as likely as many of the other top contenders.

I remember the Smash 4 speculation days, and Bdee was only beaten in page/post count by the likes of Ridley and K Rool, and I believe being tied with Isaac. And I'm inclined to consider Smashboards as a pretty accurate sample of the player base at large. Ridley's in. K Rool's pretty much a lock. Isaac unfortunately seems to be dwindling in chance with every Smash release. That just leaves one major pick: Bandana Dee.

Whether this thread slows down or not, that won't change the facts. The Dee is likely. I think, like me, we just forget how likely, sometimes.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I feel like Bandana Dee is by far and away the most likely Kirby newcomer. I've felt this way for a while. Honestly the only reason I see him not making it in is if Sakurai Bias strikes back. If he picks a rep from one of his games and doesn't add Bandana Dee, a lot of people will be unhappy (yes I know Bandana Dee is from Super Star but that's not what he's known for). and judging by his recent attitudes regarding notably controversial things (like Bayo in the invitational, among others), where he's actively working to fix the criticisms, I do see Dee making it in.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
That is such a objective, sensible point, and well said to boot. I pride myself on trying to be objective, but you my friend, have mastered it. Much respect!

And I simply keep forgetting about that Amiibo leak, lol. Like ZTurtle ZTurtle said, I've been losing a little bit of faith in the Dee's chances lately, but it would be folly to forget about the poignancy of that Amiibo data. Why on earth would he have a second Amiibo on file, if not for Smash? I doubt another Kirby series Waddle Dee is coming, so there's only two options: Smash, or it was an error. I'm definitely banking on the former. Add that to his popularity in many polls, and you've got a character just as likely as many of the other top contenders.

I remember the Smash 4 speculation days, and Bdee was only beaten in page/post count by the likes of Ridley and K Rool, and I believe being tied with Isaac. And I'm inclined to consider Smashboards as a pretty accurate sample of the player base at large. Ridley's in. K Rool's pretty much a lock. Isaac unfortunately seems to be dwindling in chance with every Smash release. That just leaves one major pick: Bandana Dee.

Whether this thread slows down or not, that won't change the facts. The Dee is likely. I think, like me, we just forget how likely, sometimes.
The respect is much appreciated, friend!

Smashboards represents hardcore fanbases pretty well, but there's a whole casual audience out there that filled the rest of the 1.8 million ballot votes. Dee and Ashley should stand pretty well thanks to their Japanese fanbase and their overall exposure in recent years that may get them some casual voters.

Isaac stands his best chance since Brawl (and I don't say that lightly as he is my most wanted) but I don't think it's enough to get him in this time. I have doubts about how far his fanbase extends beyond maybe the tens of thousands of voters. Maybe if they had something like 10-15 ballot characters or Sakurai favors adding a new series over repping an old one (which he's done in the past), he could find his way in.

But Dee is one of those few characters that isn't clouded with doubt like that. He's got every reason to be included and the strongest evidence to boot! There are no guarantees in life but it doesn't seem like he'll be Deenied this time.

Top Bottom