• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If it is not too much to ask, can anyone list all of the promotions and major roles of Bandanna has had that happened before Ultimate's project plan in December 2015. I am currently re-evaluating the chances of him to get an analysis ready for tomorrow.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
If it is not too much to ask, can anyone list all of the promotions and major roles of Bandanna has had that happened before Ultimate's project plan in December 2015. I am currently re-evaluating the chances of him to get an analysis ready for tomorrow.
Kirby Super Star: Was the first opponent in Megaton punch subgame.

Kirby Super Star Ultra: In a newly introduced subgame, Bandana Waddle Dee serves as a King Dedede's right hand man and was even a boss fight. He is the only one that sits in the audience during the Masked Dedede fight.

Kirby Mass Attack: Shares a cameo with Sailor Waddle Dee.

Kirby Return to Dreamland: First time playable, and is the fourth playable character along with King Dedede and Meta Knight. Is a part of the cutscenes so he is a major part of the story.

Kirby Dream Collection: Appears on the title screen along with everyone who was playable in Return to Dreamland.

Kirby Triple Deluxe: Name officially changed to Bandana Waddle Dee. Is in every level as a streetpass feature giving you items.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse: Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee are the only major characters to have any role at all in this game. Meta Knight and King dedede only appear as collectibles. Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee appears in the opening cutscene and they both go on the adventure. While Bandana Waddle Dee isn't required since he is the multiplayer feature of the game, there are a couple of features and events that only happen when he is around. Downside though is for this one game his name was changed to Waddle Dee again.

---------

I'm going to include Robobot since that was in development during Sakurai's project proposal and most likely had a large majority of the work already completed.

Robobot: Named changed back to Bandana Waddle Dee which it has stayed as ever since. Plays the same role as in Triple Deluxe and had a bunch of unique stickers drawn for this game that you could attach to the robobot armor.

--------

With all that aside, there is one potential problem. And that is only analyzing Bandana Waddle Dee. Here's the thing. Waddle Dees themselves are insanely popular as well. I don't think they would have ever made a waddle dee into a main playable character if they weren't. A goomba's popularity aren't even comparable to Waddle Dees. Waddle are just as, if not more so, popular than the likes of King Dedede and Meta Knight.

This is a booklet that came with the Kirby Dream Collection game. As you can see straight from the developers mouths, Waddles Dee are one of the most beloved characters in the kirby series.

Not to mention why did they even change Bandana Waddle Dee's name from Waddle Dee. Bandana Waddle Dee was just a fan name for quite a long time. And then suddenly poof, he officially gets called Bandana Waddle Dee. I mean sure, it's a pretty obvious name, but the point was it wasn't something they had to do. And yet they did it anyway.

Now of course, none of these additional things could matter to Sakurai, but I still think they are still pretty special things to think about.

Edit: Also stone cameo in Triple Deluxe and Mii plaza hat.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

PLEASE give this a watch, guys. This whole thing feels like a VERY extensive and voiced version of the Japanese pause-screen blurbs in recent Kirby games that have been secretly following this Dark Matter/Void Termina story arc the series has been going through.

I also LOVE in the comments how people have been saying things like "Kirby has lore that could put The Lord of the Rings to shame", "WTF?! Kirby has lore this deep?!", or simply "Kirby HAS LORE?!"

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990

PLEASE give this a watch, guys. This whole thing feels like a VERY extensive and voiced version of the Japanese pause-screen blurbs in recent Kirby games that have been secretly following this Dark Matter/Void Termina story arc the series has been going through.

I also LOVE in the comments how people have been saying things like "Kirby has lore that could put The Lord of the Rings to shame", "WTF?! Kirby has lore this deep?!", or simply "Kirby HAS LORE?!"
Ah Woolie hes a big fan of Kirby, it was a really good video and well narrated.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I really like that note about the amiibo code that only exists for Daisy and Waddle Dee. That's some really good evidence right there. Although even if Bandana Dee doesn't make it into Smash this could still imply that we might get a new Waddle Dee amiibo. Why would we ever get one outside of Smash, though? Perhaps they plan to make amiibos for all of the Dream Friends that don't have figurines already (Bandana Dee, the animal friends, Marx, Gooey, Dark Meta Knight, Daroach, and possibly Adeleine).

In which case, I'd go absolutely broke in ten seconds flat.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I really like that note about the amiibo code that only exists for Daisy and Waddle Dee. That's some really good evidence right there. Although even if Bandana Dee doesn't make it into Smash this could still imply that we might get a new Waddle Dee amiibo. Why would we ever get one outside of Smash, though? Perhaps they plan to make amiibos for all of the Dream Friends that don't have figurines already (Bandana Dee, the animal friends, Marx, Gooey, Dark Meta Knight, Daroach, and possibly Adeleine).

In which case, I'd go absolutely broke in ten seconds flat.
Dont forget wave 3 Susie Magolor and teranza

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I think most images on this site are broken again. Suddenly my wanted characters in my sig were gone. I swear since the update happened 99% of them got killed.
I see. I haven't seen that particular post (I'm not too active on Reddit), I'm just familiar with the Borb meme.
Yours is great.
Thanks but I feel like I'm recieving to much credit for this meme. From you, Reddit and the Deescord. I just found it on /v/ somewhere, I didn't actually make it myself lol.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What are all the merchandise that has been made for the Waddle Dee species since the popularity growth in Japan. I believe I saw Nendoroid like figures for these Waddle Dees once, but I think there has been more merch than that. I know Waddle Dees are highly marketed on the Kirby Twitter, but what about merchandise?

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
What are all the merchandise that has been made for the Waddle Dee species since the popularity growth in Japan. I believe I saw Nendoroid like figures for these Waddle Dees once, but I think there has been more merch than that. I know Waddle Dees are highly marketed on the Kirby Twitter, but what about merchandise?
While there may be some older merchandise available, the oldest that I can find would be Kirby Pupupu Picnic, which focused on Waddle Dees dressing up as animals for a picnic. The event started August 22, 2015.

The KIRBY CAFÉ, a Kirby themed resteraunt with Kirby merchanise themed around cafes. It had pluses of Waddle Dee in cafe attire, and if you ate alone you were offfered to eat across one of these pushes. The cafe opend August 5th, 2016.

The Kirby PUPUPU TRAIN, which themed several train stations in the franchise, also had Waddle Dee themed merchandise. The first official post from the twiter was on November 30th, 2016.

One major victory was Waddle Dees winning a Japan Poll on favorite Kirby enemy, earning over double the ammount of votes for Magolor, who ended up in second place. As a result, he gained Vinyl Figures, Stickers, Charms, Mugs, Postcards, Wooden Box Containers, Clear Files, Blackboards, Pocket Tapestries, Tissue Boxes, Tote Bags, and T-Shirts. Some of the merchandise from that event can be found here, alongside some other merchandise featuring Waddle Dees.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
So I had a dream last night that Bandana Waddle Dee
It seemed like his moveset was basically the Spear Ability. (Spear Copter)
Spear Copter. Sounds like the best possible dream.

Also: Can confirm that among Japanese schoolchildren, Waddle Dee is the most recognizable Kirby character after Kirby himself.

Re: That Delthezin video.
Delthezin's video editing is top knotch, why doesn't this guy have more subscribers?

EDIT: Cinnamon Dee is too good for this world. <3 (But he belongs in Smash as an Alt, obviously.)

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Conspiracy theory time. So y'know how Bandana Dee uses Parasol for some reason in Battle Royale? Isn't that weird considering the fact that Spear Kirby is in the game? Soooo, since the roster seems to have been mostly decided on in December 2015, nearly two years before the release of Battle Royale, what if Sakurai had already decided on Bandana Dee as a playable character, and then when communicating that with HAL, brought up the possibility of him using Parasol in his moveset? Perhaps that would have prompted HAL to give Bandana Dee Parasol in Battle Royale, because they would have known ahead of time that he would be using it in Smash. That way there could be a canon instance of BDee using Parasol in the games.

...Yeah I dunno, too much of a stretch? Sorry if this was already brought up, or if they gave a reason for Bandana Dee using Parasol in Battle Royale that I'm unaware of, but I just wanted to share it with ya'll.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Conspiracy theory time. So y'know how Bandana Dee uses Parasol for some reason in Battle Royale? Isn't that weird considering the fact that Spear Kirby is in the game? Soooo, since the roster seems to have been mostly decided on in December 2015, nearly two years before the release of Battle Royale, what if Sakurai had already decided on Bandana Dee as a playable character, and then when communicating that with HAL, brought up the possibility of him using Parasol in his moveset? Perhaps that would have prompted HAL to give Bandana Dee Parasol in Battle Royale, because they would have known ahead of time that he would be using it in Smash. That way there could be a canon instance of BDee using Parasol in the games.

...Yeah I dunno, too much of a stretch? Sorry if this was already brought up, or if they gave a reason for Bandana Dee using Parasol in Battle Royale that I'm unaware of, but I just wanted to share it with ya'll.
Because it is Kirby, I can certainly say the possibility exist. After all, Kirby loves to borrow stuff from Smash. Like the Smash ability existing, or Meta Knight getting brawl Shuttle Loop.

With that said, Bandana Waddle Dee got connected to Parasol since the Waddle Dee amiibo. So it is still quite the stretch.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I dunno, I never saw the Battle Royale Parasol as all that different from his usual Spear. He still stabs with it. It just has some added utility for floating down and the occasional twirl. (And uh... for keeping out light rain, I guess?)

If he could Spear Copter with it, I'd be fine with him getting a Parasol- and Spear-based moveset in Smash (and honestly, it seems likely he'll get a few nods to the normal, Spearless Waddle Dees anyway...)

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I don't really like the idea of Dee using Parasol or Beam (like he does in SSF2). If he needs some non-spear moves, he can use food, other Waddle Dees, and Megaton Punches.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I don't really like the idea of Dee using Parasol or Beam (like he does in SSF2). If he needs some non-spear moves, he can use food, other Waddle Dees, and Megaton Punches.
Except in Battle Royale and the Waddle Dee amiibo have linked Parasol to Bandana Waddle Dee. And I have no idea how you envision food to be used.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Beam I can agree with since there's never been any indication that he has access to Beam Kirby's wand. But Parasol I feel is a perfectly viable weapon for the guy. We may have spear wielding Waddle Dees, but Parasol is the ability that Waddle Dees are most commonly linked with, and Parasol Waddle Dees are iconic in their own right. So having him wield a Parasol would be fitting imo, along with the fact that he's already been linked to the Parasol ability like CatRacoonBL said.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Except in Battle Royale and the Waddle Dee amiibo have linked Parasol to Bandana Waddle Dee. And I have no idea how you envision food to be used.
I guess a parasol would be okay, so long as it doesn't take up too much of his moveset. As for food, it'd be a reference to Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot. He'd toss it out as an item and whoever got it would heal a bit of damage. It might have to be something he can only do every once in a while.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I guess a parasol would be okay, so long as it doesn't take up too much of his moveset. As for food, it'd be a reference to Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot. He'd toss it out as an item and whoever got it would heal a bit of damage. It might have to be something he can only do every once in a while.
Healing is kind of op in smash sure Wii fit has it but it has dual purpose. And being used just for healing is kind of meh

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I'm personally not a fan of Bandana Dee having food tossing as a part of his moveset. His roles in Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot are by far the least interesting besides maybe Mass Attack if you count that. And there are better ideas for potential specials.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, everyone. So I came across something interesting...

Honestly, I'm feeling a little reserved on his idea of what Kirby would sound like. I just can't imagine Kirby with a deep voice. If anything, I'd rather he sound like his idea of Bandana Dee, but a tad lighter.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
You're actually onto something, maybe have bandana Dee throw rotten food like Dedede does in star Allies? It does damage and could only be turned into edible food through water, which could be a nice Easter egg.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Thought you be interest but some dataminers may have figured out we were all right about bayonetta is not the winner of the ballot because bayonetta was found in patch 1.0.6 two weeks after the ballot...started

And one of songs is city trials remix from Kirby air ride

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Hey, everyone. So I came across something interesting...

Honestly, I'm feeling a little reserved on his idea of what Kirby would sound like. I just can't imagine Kirby with a deep voice. If anything, I'd rather he sound like his idea of Bandana Dee, but a tad lighter.
Link is broken

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
I like the idea of Bandana Dee's Final Smash being the Megaton Punch that zooms out and breaks Popstar nearly in half. If it's anything else, I riot.

I think Dee having both a Spear and a Parasol (or a Paraspear?) would work well. He'd basically use the Star Allies' Spear moveset for his Specials (it covers most of the bases: Spear Copter for recovery, throwing multiple Javelins as a charged neutral special for a projectile, if you wanted a gimmick, then maybe one of his specials adds elements to his Spear like in Star Allies which would give him varied 'stances').

The main thing for the Parasol is he could bring it out for a slowed descent if the jump button was held, and perhaps as a unique Shield where he holds it in front of him. The only other thing I could see the Parasol part doing is giving some of his normals a water pushbox when he shakes rain droplets off of the Parasol, harkening back to the Parasol moveset in the newer Kirby games.

It's a nice mix of the two weapons, which already have similar attacking styles, and doesn't require too much work on Sakurai's part to be super fun and simple to pick up for newer players. (Not every fighter needs a ton of gimmicks!)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so new kirby music on the website today, what a surprise it was a new version from a game sakurai worked on

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Yeaahhh... while it is a JAMMING remix of City Trial (Played that a bunch as a young-un, so it's actually kind of nostalgic), it did honestly make me a little worried that we'll get minimal Modern Kirby representation again. I know it's too soon to worry about that, but y'know. I mean, Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot have some fantastic tunes that I'd love to see remixed, or put into the game at the very least.

Oh, and we NEED Masked Dedede's theme to go with his Final Smash whether it be a remix, or a rendition from a previous game (Like Dededestroyer Z, oh man that's one of the best renditions of DDD's theme hands down). And hey, both Brawl and Smash 4 had new remixes for the King's theme, so a remix of Masked Dedede's theme for Ultimate just seems like a natural progression of that trend.

Kind of makes me wonder what music could play in a Bandana Dee reveal trailer. Perhaps a remix (or just the original version) of the Returns to Dreamland title screen music?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm actually thinking Bandana Dee might just get Gourmet Race in his trailer for his gameplay section. But I want return to dreamland/adventure Wii title theme for his cinematic.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Kind of makes me wonder what music could play in a Bandana Dee reveal trailer. Perhaps a remix (or just the original version) of the Returns to Dreamland title screen music?
Honestly, I want a Megaton Punch Remix. it'd be a nice callback to his origins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom