• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I like this character even though I only played one Kirby game. The only factor I see that doesn't favor his inclusion is the fact that all of his appearances were in Kirby games not developed by Sakurai (according to a quick search on the Kirby Wiki).
Truth be told, this is my main concern about Bandana Dee too (His design may have debuted in Super Star, but his proper character was really introduced in Ultra). However, I think he's still got a shot, since his popularity and current status in the series makes him the prime candidate for a new Kirby character. I just really hope he got a lot of votes in the Ballot. One of my biggest regrets is not making a vote for Bandana Dee when the ballot was open, since I wasn't quite as into Kirby then as I am now. One vote probably wouldn't have made a difference, but I still would have like to show my support for the little guy.

On an unrelated note, sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but I was wondering, if we got a new Kirby stage based on the modern games (Return to Dreamland through Star Allies) what would you want it to be/think it would be? Personally, I'd love to see the Dreamstalk. After all,Triple Deluxe is my favorite Kirby game, and I think it could look really beautiful in HD. It could either be a vertical scrolling stage like Rumble Falls, or a stage like Prism Tower where you're riding on a cloud up the Dreamstalk and getting a look at the worlds on it in the background (Which is what I would prefer myself). What are your thoughts for a stage?

Last edited:

Red Hood

Smash Rookie
By far my most wanted 1st party character! Kirby needs a fourth rep, and Bandana Waddle Dee is the fourth face of Kirby! If he isn't in the roster I hope he will make it in as Bandana DeeLC

StormC

Smash Hero

Here's my first serious stab at a prediction roster. I feel the overwhelming Japanese support for Bandana Dee is going to get him far and he is "promotional" while also being a fan favorite. He's a hype choice, he's a "safe" choice, and he's an advertisement of sorts. Let's hope Sakurai agrees.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Just wanted to drop in to add my support. At this point, Bandana Dee is my most wanted newcomer not yet confirmed! I think he has a decent shot, too. This Smash game is already going to be my favorite in the series no matter what, but Bandana Waddle Dee’s inclusion would be the icing on the cake! Let’s make it happen!

B012C9C0-F140-4285-BE72-FFB58ADA2B35.png

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
On an unrelated note, sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but I was wondering, if we got a new Kirby stage based on the modern games (Return to Dreamland through Star Allies) what would you want it to be/think it would be? Personally, I'd love to see the Dreamstalk. After all,Triple Deluxe is my favorite Kirby game, and I think it could look really beautiful in HD. It could either be a vertical scrolling stage like Rumble Falls, or a stage like Prism Tower where you're riding on a cloud up the Dreamstalk and getting a look at the worlds on it in the background (Which is what I would prefer myself). What are your thoughts for a stage?
I've always wanted some kind of Another Dimension stage.
Waddle you know I've been one of you all along! I'm so glad you DEEcided to welcome me into your community!! :p

Ok I'll stop with the puns now hahaha xD
No, please, keep going! I wanna see a Bandana pun.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration

Here's my first serious stab at a prediction roster. I feel the overwhelming Japanese support for Bandana Dee is going to get him far and he is "promotional" while also being a fan favorite. He's a hype choice, he's a "safe" choice, and he's an advertisement of sorts. Let's hope Sakurai agrees.
Elma is flat out impossible since obviously the main character would be used, and IDK why people are latching onto Shadow considering 3rd party character piggybacking in one of their side characters is hilariously anti-Sakurai, but otherwise this seems plausable.

unpopular opinion: K.Rool ain't happenin'. It would be illogical to add a long forgotten character that doesn't represent the current state of his IP over someone like Dixie, Cranky, or Funky

StormC

Smash Hero
Elma is flat out impossible since obviously the main character would be used
:4robinm:

unpopular opinion: K.Rool ain't happenin'. It would be illogical to add a long forgotten character that doesn't represent the current state of his IP over someone like Dixie, Cranky, or Funky
I'm glad you have access to the design document and can tell us exactly what Sakurai's thinking. I also don't know how he's "long forgotten" when the last Smash had him as a downloable costume and he got a reference in Super Mario Odyssey, but sure.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I'm glad you have access to the design document and can tell us exactly what Sakurai's thinking. I also don't know how he's "long forgotten" when the last Smash had him as a downloable costume and he got a reference in Super Mario Odyssey, but sure.
Robin is the main character

Even the villain is relating more to Robin than Chrom

SwitchButton

Robin is the main character, and literally the player made self insert. Just like the XCX protagonist sooo... lol

Also it's funny that you think such little easter eggs would warrant a full on Smash addition. I mean that doesn't even compare to the full on PLAYABLE GAME ROLES that the other 3 main Kongs have. Hell Cranky has appeared in every single DK game without fail. Surely that is more significant then a mii's hat lol. (Also didn't even mention how the Kongs also have their names appearing in Odyssey, again displaying how they flat out have more just cause then K.Rool)

But anyways lets not go getting off-topic.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Elma is flat out impossible since obviously the main character would be used, and IDK why people are latching onto Shadow considering 3rd party character piggybacking in one of their side characters is hilariously anti-Sakurai, but otherwise this seems plausable.

Except Robin has a personality and defined abilities, Cross has neither of those things since they're a stand in for the player with no impact on anything and is entirely customizable, there's barely a default appearance, no default voice, default name, and their default weapon is a longsword which is lame as hell. Elma is still the main character of the game's narrative anyway

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Except Robin has a personality and defined abilities, Cross has neither of those things since they're a stand in for the player with no impact on anything and is entirely customizable, there's barely a default appearance, no default voice, and their default weapon is a longsword which is lame as hell. Elma is still the main character of the game's narrative anyway
You can give Robin any class you want. Just like Cross. Also Villager doesn't have a defined design or personality but he's good to go. That's such a random made up requirement. Just because you think it's lame has no bearing on their actual protagonist role

Also that's not what protagonist means. The game's narrative and adventure, at all times, is focused to the life and happenings of Cross. Cross is always the focus of gameplay and immediate story telling. Plot importance =/= protagonist otherwise we would've gotten Peach and Zelda in Smash 64 and not Mario and Link

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
You can give Robin any class you want. Just like Cross. Also Villager doesn't have a defined design or personality but he's good to go. That's such a random made up requirement. Just because you think it's lame has no bearing on their actual protagonist role

Also that's not what protagonist means. The game's narrative and adventure, at all times, is focused to the life and happenings of Cross. Cross is always the focus of gameplay and immediate story telling. Plot importance =/= protagonist otherwise we would've gotten Peach and Zelda in Smash 64 and not Mario and Link
You can give Robin whatever class you want but his starting class as a tactician is what makes him interesting and that uniqueness is what got him into smash, the drifter class that Cross has is comparatively much less interesting. Elma with her dual guns and swords stands out.

Think of it this way, if Robin is Cross, then Chrom is Elma, and had Chrom been more interesting he would have been in smash instead of Robin.

Dragons Kin

Smash Cadet
Dismissing other people's roster predictions/picks isn't what we are supposed to be doing here folks, especially when it doesn't relate to Bandana Dee at all no less.

SwitchButton

You can give Robin whatever class you want but his starting class as a tactician is what makes him interesting and that uniqueness is what got him into smash, the drifter class that Cross has is comparatively much less interesting. Elma with her dual guns and swords stands out.

Think of it this way, if Robin is Cross, then Chrom is Elma, and had Chrom been more interesting he would have been in smash instead of Robin.
Says who? Cross rides Mechs and shoots guns and does all kinds of crazy **** as a Drifter Class. It's not about "which character is the most unique" it's "is the protagonist unique enough to be added" The answer is yes for Cross

"Chrom is Elma"

lol yep and it's blatantly gonna hash out the same way for her as it did him lol. Anywho I'm done talking about it because it's offtopic.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Says who? Cross rides Mechs and shoots guns and does all kinds of crazy **** as a Drifter Class. It's not about "which character is the most unique" it's "is the protagonist unique enough to be added" The answer is yes for Cross

"Chrom is Elma"

lol yep and it's blatantly gonna hash out the same way for her as it did him lol. Anywho I'm done talking about it because it's offtopic.
Because we're totally gonna get a character who rides around in a big ass mech in smash, that would totally work, and guns (realistic ones I might add, Elma's come under the beam type, Cross' are physical) and longswords are super unique and interesting compared to Elma's weaponry.

Anyway yeah, off topic.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Because we're totally gonna get a character who rides around in a big *** mech in smash, that would totally work, and guns (realistic ones I might add) and longswords are super unique and interesting compared to Elma's weaponry.

Anyway yeah, off topic.
That's not how Smash works... You don't pick the character purely from moveset potential, you pick the protagonist. Also Cross has more weapons and variety then the non-protagonist one-shot side character Elma.

Drop it.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That's not how Smash works... You don't pick the character purely from moveset potential, you pick the protagonist. Also Cross has more weapons and variety then the non-protagonist one-shot side character Elma.

Drop it.
Good thing she is the protagonist, the same way chrom is and was planned for smash as well. And you do pick from moveset potential in certain cases, that's the exact reason Robin is here.

Anyway, drop it since you started this lol.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Good thing she is the protagonist, the same way chrom is and was planned for smash as well. And you do pick from moveset potential in certain cases, that's the exact reason Robin is here.

Anyway, drop it since you started this lol.
The player character is the protagonist. This is how video games work. Robin is in because he is the protagonist. Chrom was never a serious consideration and was brought up as a way to compare Robin to the usual generic sword blandness FE always gives Smash.

bottom line: a random side character can never happen before the playable PROTAGONIST of the game.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The player character is the protagonist. This is how video games work. Robin is in because he is the protagonist. Chrom was never a serious consideration and was brought up as a way to compare Robin to the usual generic sword blandness FE always gives Smash.

bottom line: a random side character can never happen before the playable PROTAGONIST of the game.
You do realize that Chrom was considered to be in the game right? And Sakurai found that he was boring moveset wise so he was dropped for Robin.

And he literally refers to Chrom as the protagonist lol
https://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-chrom-not-playable/

SwitchButton

You do realize that Chrom was considered to be in the game right? And Sakurai found that he was boring moveset wise so he was dropped for Robin.

And he literally refers to Chrom as the protagonist lol
https://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-chrom-not-playable/
Chrom was never seriously considered. That was in the planning stages and he only mentions the character cause he knows the FE roster in smash is ****ing bland as hell, and Chrom is symbolic of that blandness. Sakurai also doesn't decide who the protagonist is; the game does. Robin is factually the main character you play as, customize, and is the focus of the game. That's all there is to it

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Chrom was never seriously considered. That was in the planning stages and he only mentions the character cause he knows the FE roster in smash is ****ing bland as hell, and Chrom is symbolic of that blandness. Sakurai also doesn't decide who the protagonist is; the game does. Robin is factually the main character you play as, customize, and is the focus of the game. That's all there is to it
The point is his first idea was Chrom, and he was considered.

"Sakurai: Here I give the example of Chrom. When it came time to decide on a character from “Fire Emblem: Awakening”, I had even thought of a moveset for him. However in the long run, he was just in between Marth and Ike, so he wasn’t added. However, when I thought of the “Sword and Magic” concept for Robin, it was an character oozing with personality."
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/04/chromsmash4/

They came up with a moveset for him and everything before he thought of using robin.

SwitchButton

The point is his first idea was Chrom, and he was considered.

"Sakurai: Here I give the example of Chrom. When it came time to decide on a character from “Fire Emblem: Awakening”, I had even thought of a moveset for him. However in the long run, he was just in between Marth and Ike, so he wasn’t added. However, when I thought of the “Sword and Magic” concept for Robin, it was an character oozing with personality."
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/04/chromsmash4/

They came up with a moveset for him and everything before he thought of using robin.
See? He literally just says "I'll use Chrom as an example" clear as day. That's all Chrom was. Robin's gimmick in smash is that he's the only FE character to be at least somewhat different.

Look you're clearly getting upset over this, so I'm gonna let you go chill and cool your head. I've explained the facts to you. Whether or not you accept them is your own choice.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
See? He literally just says "I'll use Chrom as an example" clear as day. That's all Chrom was. Robin's gimmick in smash is that he's the only FE character to be at least somewhat different.

Look you're clearly getting upset over this, so I'm gonna let you go chill and cool your head. I've explained the facts to you. Whether or not you accept them is your own choice.
"I had even thought of a moveset for him". Chrom was still his first choice

I'm chill, no idea where you're getting the idea that I'm not lol, you're the one who's dragging on an argument for no reason

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Do you guys think that August would be the next Direct or July since the star allies DLC is going to drop this summer?

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Hey everyone! Add me to the list of supporters! I’ve wanted the Dee in the game ever since Return to Dreamland. And here I am seven years later, deedicated to the cause!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Do you guys think that August would be the next Direct or July since the star allies DLC is going to drop this summer?
im guessing september based on the gaps
well itll depend on what type of direct it is next big one probably wont be til september

Red Hood

Smash Rookie
I've always wanted some kind of Another Dimension stage.

No, please, keep going! I wanna see a Bandana pun.
I know I said I was done, but I can't keep these puns WADDLED up. Consider this a BANDana-AID solution to my pun break.

I sPEERED into my crystal ball and saw BWD in smash, but he was too powerful. He DEEstroyed the competition. Poor Dee was tornament BANdanaED. My DEEpest condolences.

Until next time everyone!

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
So I had a dream last night that Bandana Waddle Dee was confirmed as a playable character. (Alongside a Cookie Country stage.) His reveal was pretty...sudden. One second they were showing basic Smash stuff and then "Oh, and here's a newcomer, Bandana Waddle Dee!" It seemed like his moveset was basically the Spear Ability. (Spear Copter, rapid jabs, nearly everything.) Although he had a pretty strange down smash... He summoned multiple spears from the ground similar to how Dark Meta Knight summons giant swords in his fight from Triple Deluxe.

The end of the dream was just me coming back here to see everyone's reaction to him being confirmed.

Top Bottom