• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

D

Deleted member

It just kind of bugs that that Kirby is one of my favorite series with a large cast of colorful characters and the only one that has a chance in Smash is just so bland
That's all a matter of taste really, but even with just a spear there's a lot he can do with it that sets him apart from everybody else.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Characters like Magolor or Marx have more room for flashy movesets thanks to magic, but that doesn't mean Waddle Dee's moveset would be boring.
He's like Toad. There are a million of them.

Even generic waddle dee's that carry spears other than him

He just wears a bandana.
Seriously?
I'm in 2013 again?

We have a lot of characters that are a part of a species.

And those Spear Waddle Dees do literally nothing, they throw like one spear per minute.
Bandana Dee is a warrior and the representative of the entire species, like Kirby Star Allies said.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice

He just wears a bandana.
So Yoshi is generic just because he's part of a populous species? Are all human characters in Smash generic because human is a populous species?

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't know why people act like the bandana or the fact that his name is Bandana Waddle Dee is bad thing.

All the member of a Pokemon species look the same, are called the same and have the same abilities.
Same with Yoshi, the Melee intro even shows a stampede of Yoshis.
R.O.B. was also a member of a species, and now, one of the new characters is Inkling, who doesn't even have a name, just the same of its species.

The bandana makes him different.
Bandana Dee looks different, has different and better abilities and has an unique name.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was kind of hoping you could show me how he could be unique instead of just saying it's possible Sakurai can figure out a way to make him unique

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I was kind of hoping you could show me how he could be unique instead of just saying it's possible Sakurai can figure out a way to make him unique
Well, I already told you.

No character uses a spear in Smash, no character uses a parasol in Smash except for like 3 moves in the entire game.
Bandana Dee can use elements in his spear and not even Kirby can do that at the moment.
Bandana Dee could use anything any Waddle Dee has used in any Kirby game with enough imagination.

And no, Spear is not just a pointy stick used to poke.
You can give it more uses with enough effort.
You can throw it, spin it, slash with it, pole vault, basically the entire Staff moveset from Kirby Star Allies, etc.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't really get people who post in a support thread for a character they don't want.
Threads are made for discussion.

Can't have discussion without disagreement.

How are you going to convince others to join a cause if you just refuse anyone that doesn't just automatically latch onto something? Or are you saying that anyone who doesn't just latch in is not worth talking to?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

How are you going to convince others to join a cause if you just refuse anyone that doesn't just automatically latch onto something? Or are you saying that anyone who doesn't just latch in is not worth talking to?
It's OK, it's just that all the things you said are kind of a meme at this point.

It's like going to the Ridley thread and say, Ridley is bland, what would he bring that Charizard can't do?
I feel that he is too big to be in the game.

Bandana Dee is generic is as annoying as Ridley being too big or K. Rool being too irrelevant tbh.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

This is a support thread. Not every thread needs to have debating over stuff. Especially not the outdated meme arguments you've given. Why not just post your opinions on a general newcomer speculation thread?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is a support thread. Not every thread needs to have debating over stuff. Especially not the outdated meme arguments you've given. Why not just post your opinions on a general newcomer speculation thread?
General: "belonging to the common nature of a group of like individuals : Generic"

Huh, maybe you're right about that. That would be the perfect place to talk about Bandana Dee

Such a nice, friendly, welcoming person you are/

---

But seriously, I didn't come to start arguments. I had just watched Source Gamings video and was curious what you had to say because they didn't have an answer

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Well... Its early in the morning and I've jobs to do, so I don't have time to compile a completely synchronised move-set, but I'll throw out a few ideas...

As mentioned, along with his usage of the spear, Bandanna Dee has access to his Parasol (even more so thanks to his usage of it in Battle Royale), Megaton Punch, and I'd even point out a pick-up ability for a grab. Now the last one sounds plain, but I mean it in the same as DK's pick-up and carry people grab, except Bandanna Dee would be a light weight character doing that; this pick-up and throw theme has been present in Rainbow Paintbrush, Battle Royale and was the planned mechanic for Waddle Dee in the beta of Kirby 64.

I myself have always considered the idea of keeping Bandanna Dee's spear moves as his A attacks, which if effectively copy-and-pasting his Return to Dreamland/Adventures Wii move-set, gives him some very unique A move usage such as a running A and air A that throws out projectiles, as well as an Up Smash which causes him to fly around for a while. There is also the elemental factor from Star Allies (though that might be too late to consider), where things could be spiced up by giving certain Smash or tilt attacks of his a different elemental property... or gaining an elemental property temporarily could be a special move now that I think abou it). Again, I'm very sleepy as I type this, but he has a good pool to bring in moves from.

Any character can be made pretty unique, given a bit of research and some careful thought; some just have more possibilities or easier possibilities to make those moves (along with greater chances to feature in the game for various factors). I believe Bandanna Dee to be a very likely addition (Even putting aside my support of him, I'd easily put him in my top 5 most likely) with plenty of possible options to create a unique move-set. I'd be happy to further discuss this with you at some point where I'm a tad more awake and with less to do.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Also, Bandanna Dee is just undeniably important to the Kirby series now. He has played a huge role in most recent Kirby games - Return to Dream Land, Rainbow Curse, Star Allies. He is basically the 4th lead after Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight. If anything will get him in, that will, regardless of his move set potential.

I love Marx. And Gooey and Magolor are pretty great as well. But they just don't have the star power that Bandanna Dee has, IMO, and because of that are less likely to get in the game.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t get why a moveset has to reinvent the wheel. Ridley’s moveset is nothing groundbreaking or exceedingly clever, but it fits his character perfectly. Bandana Dee has a lot of individual spear attacks that would translate well to Smash.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
A spear on it's own is a plenty unique weapon that would set him apart both visually and mechanically, he primarily uses his spear by stabbing, spinning and using it as a projectile. Those stabbing moves lend themselves to tippers like Ridley does with his tail, there aren't many characters who use projectiles in their normal attacks which would be interesting. And he could also use his spear to do other things, I'm imagining him sticking it into the ground and using it to launch himself up with a kick or spinning around on it to hit opponents

Relegating him to the spear in itself is unique because no other character behaves like him, a sword and a spear really aren't the same thing at all.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Pretty much what everybody's been saying... Bandana Dee doesn't have to be the titular character or have a specific quirk to have a chance at smash. Even Daisy, a character who could've at least been a semi-clone ended up as an echo fighter. Doesn't matter if you're unique or not, at the end of the day, it comes down to whether or not Sakurai and team feels the character is right for smash AND if they can make a moveset for them. If not a unique moveset, a variation of another. Bandana Dee is unique enough to be a character, and I don't see how he could be an echo considering echoes usually keep the majority of their base characters abilities and put a spin on them. Hope he's at least dlc if not base roster...

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
General: "belonging to the common nature of a group of like individuals : Generic"

Huh, maybe you're right about that. That would be the perfect place to talk about Bandana Dee

Such a nice, friendly, welcoming person you are/

---

But seriously, I didn't come to start arguments. I had just watched Source Gamings video and was curious what you had to say because they didn't have an answer
TL;DR: some of smash characters are bland, and some characters are not tied to their canonical moves. Bandana Dee has Character Development unlike generic goombas.

I Can understand that sentiment on how bland he could be. but if you take a look at some of the smash bros characters some of them are bland IMHO. Just look at Marth/Lucina just plain sword play. While some other characters like Luigi show some personality and have some unique moves not from their series. With the Kirby games they tend to be simple but fun. Look at the Kirby fighters, MetaKnight borrows from the Tornado and Wing abilitys for his specials. For Bandana Dee's case he can showcase his underdog personality through his moveset maybe get new moves like Captain Falcon did. But his main way of attack is his spear. If you played Return to Dream Land the spear ability in that game was so much fun to use though be it a bit plain still fun none the less. You could look at Star Allies it has a staff ability. That brought more move potential for bandana dee.
If you want to talk about importance as a character than Bandana Dee did start out as a Nobody. Just a generic NPC. But he has something that arguably most characters in a long running series has and that is Character development. He Became a somebody through out the modern day Kirby games you can see that growth from super star ultra to return to Dream Land. If he weren't as an important character as he is the devs should have dropped him in super star ultra and be one and done. Just like Magolor and Marx or heck even every other character that appeared only once or twice. He may not be popular here in the West were we love our RPGs and FPSs. He has a cult following in Japan and Kirby over there has more love there than here. So I can understand that sentiment on Bandana Dee but denying him and his merits. is just plain ignorant.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice

He just wears a bandana.
Bandana Dee is more like the Captain Toad of the Kirby franchise rather than just "Toad". Captain Toad can be watered down to "he's just a generic species but with a head lamp and can't jump!", but he is objectively an established and unique character much like how Bandana Dee is. There's only one Captain Toad and there's only one Bandana Dee.

Spear and especially Parasol already have a set of really cool abilities. Spear Copter and Triple Throw could be interesting to implement, perhaps the spears he throws can be picked up by enemies and used against him, making the player use it with caution and avoid spamming. Parasol's Drift could also be applied to him and it'd not only look cute but to my knowledge there's nothing like that in-game. While it may not be groundbreaking or have a ton of super uber awesome epic quirks like Inkling, it just has to be fun.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Something I kinda thought of on the subject of Bandana Dee's moveset, is what if they made his Spear double as a parasol? Like on one side is the spear tip naturally, but on the other side is the tip of his parasol which could be fully expanded out and retracted when need be. In future Kirby games, I could see him being like a combination of Spear and Parasol in the same way Meta Knight is a combination of Sword and Wing. Like if you press up, then Bandana Dee would switch to the parasol side and hold it over his head to work like Parasol usually does. I could imagine it being pretty fun to fly long distances using the Spear Copter and then switching to the parasol on the fly to glide down to the ground. I think that could be a pretty neat way to add a touch of variety to his moveset, both in the main games and potentially in Smash (I mean, if Dedede can apparently hide a rocket in his hammer, I'm sure Bandana Dee could hide a parasol in his spear).

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
If you wanna see a great moveset for Bandanna Dee, look up Super Smash Flash 2. If you think Bandanna needs needs a gimmick, Ridley doesn't have one so that point is null and void.

D

Deleted member

His spear, and his parasol will make for a variety of moves tons of potential there.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
IMG_20180624_140932.jpg

Whipped up a few lil sketches on how a Spear/Parasol could look. I think that the spearhead could either retract or just stay as is when in, "parasol mode," but either way, I think the little star on the tip of his parasol adds a nice little touch to the bottom of his spear in the same way the stars on the faces of Dedede's hammer differentiates it from any other plain ol' hammer. While I think just having him switch from separate spear to parasol and back is fine, I think this would be a clean way to have him transition between the two more fluidly.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
Whipped up a few lil sketches on how a Spear/Parasol could look. I think that the spearhead could either retract or just stay as is when in, "parasol mode," but either way, I think the little star on the tip of his parasol adds a nice little touch to the bottom of his spear in the same way the stars on the faces of Dedede's hammer differentiates it from any other plain ol' hammer. While I think just having him switch from separate spear to parasol and back is fine, I think this would be a clean way to have him transition between the two more fluidly.
That looks great!

Klimax

Smash Ace
Can't say why i love this guy, but i really love him.
As a big fan of the Kirby franchise, i hope Bandane Dee will be a playable character. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't make it in Smash 4.
But i feel like he's very likely this time ! Go go Bandana Dee !

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's great Bandana Dee dropping in to say hi, also getting some support from Kirby Super Star streamers, and fans good too see.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I never got to play Return to Dreamland for the Wii, but I did however get to play Planet Robobot and most recently Star Allies. You can mark me down as a supporter for Bandana Dee! He has potential to be a good playable character.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Maybe confimed.png

Speaking of 64 Dee being BanDee.

Might be reaching, but I noticed that this is an idle animation that they specifically made for Bandana Dee in Star Allies. I like to think it's a throwback but eh who knows.

Them being the same WOULD make sense though. It would be a pretty good origin story of how Bandana Dee became Dedede's right hand dude

Last edited:

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I like this character even though I only played one Kirby game. The only factor I see that doesn't favor his inclusion is the fact that all of his appearances were in Kirby games not developed by Sakurai (according to a quick search on the Kirby Wiki).

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I like this character even though I only played one Kirby game. The only factor I see that doesn't favor his inclusion is the fact that all of his appearances were in Kirby games not developed by Sakurai (according to a quick search on the Kirby Wiki).
Except for Super Star.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
It just kind of bugs that that Kirby is one of my favorite series with a large cast of colorful characters and the only one that has a chance in Smash is just so bland
Have you seen his Spear Copter?

How can a Spear Copter be bland? Can Charizard use a Spear Copter? No, he cannot. Go play Kirby Star Allies and use the Spear Copter. Imagine this in Smash. Reflect on your life choices.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Have you seen his Spear Copter?

How can a Spear Copter be bland? Can Charizard use a Spear Copter? No, he cannot. Go play Kirby Star Allies and use the Spear Copter. Imagine this in Smash. Reflect on your life choices.
Not gonna lie, Spear Copter is kind of my entire reasoning for supporting Bandanna Dee to begin with. I just wanna use it in every game...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Crud. I missed that. Do you remember when so I can get a clip/have a clip?
edit: nvm, I got it.
I can't help but find it unbelievably nice that someone would give our little Dee such a sweet shout-out like this. I mean, to say he's cuter than Kirby...is not too far off actually.

Top Bottom