• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balance Patch 1.0.6 Notes

Saltix

Smash Lord
Decided to take initiative and make the thread since I'm already testing the patch. Post your notes here, and I'll clean up thread later.

So far I've noted that Ftilts and Fsmashes with item in hand are gone.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Yeah, missing the item attacks. Oh well, I never used em anyway. Leaf shield looks like it travels a lot faster on 3DS, but I think it's just me not having played the 3DS version in two months. Damage seems to be the same for everything.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
yep, i can't use lemons while holding an item anymore. oh well. is it just me but does it feel like megaman's tornado is coming out faster?

Saltix

Smash Lord
Killed CPU Mario in middle of FD at 82% with Utilt, community guide says 87.

How does training mode affect rage?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Is it me or does the aerial movement when throwing the leaf shield faster?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
The animation of the Skull Barrier starting up is faster, but I don't know if the properties of the move are actually affected. Seems the same to me.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Can't shoot with items in hand now? Oh well, there goes the practice I put into doing that to improve the ROB matchup problems I was having.

Going to assume that shooting with item in hand/executing an attack at the same time as picking up an item aren't the same deal, since I was able to shoot nair lemons after/during landing on my metal blade.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Can't shoot with items in hand now? Oh well, there goes the practice I put into doing that to improve the ROB matchup problems I was having.

Going to assume that shooting with item in hand/executing an attack at the same time as picking up an item aren't the same deal, since I was able to shoot nair lemons after/during landing on my metal blade.
That's correct

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Ice Slasher is WAY faster.
Umm... this looks the same to me.

Frame speeds might be slightly different among moves, but Mega Man seems to be untouched in my testing outside of the global item mechanic change of getting rid of item f-tilt and item f-smash due to the c-stick change. (up+up c-stick is no longer up tilt, but up smash)

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
down smash's cool down reduced, Thank god

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Umm... this looks the same to me.

Frame speeds might be slightly different among moves, but Mega Man seems to be untouched in my testing outside of the global item mechanic change of getting rid of item f-tilt and item f-smash due to the c-stick change. (up+up c-stick is no longer up tilt, but up smash)
No way, it had like a half second of startup with a little sound effect before. Now it comes out as fast as crash bomb.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
No way, it had like a half second of startup with a little sound effect before. Now it comes out as fast as crash bomb.
If you short hop crash bomb, it shoots near the apex of the jump (enough to miss short characters)
If you short hop ice slasher, you shoot later.

Now that I'm doing that, you may be right. Let me check my pre-patch 3DS.

Edit: Nope. They're the same. Checked by full hop IS. They both shoot at the apex of FH. While it could be a minute difference, it's not noticeably different to me comparing side by side.

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Placebo probably lol.
Comparing my updated 3ds vs the not Wii u and not seeing any real changes.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
@ Sleek Media Sleek Media
+ Ice Slasher has MUCH faster startup
+ Shadow Blade has longer range
? Leaf Shield travels faster when thrown (uncertain, can someone confirm?)
? Pummel may be slightly faster
Leaf shield... is a possibility. I tested it, and I'm doing something weird testing it, or you're right. The other 3 I'm 95% sure are not true.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
So no notable buffs and the loss of an option.
Pretty bummed because I was developing a playstyle that revolved around holding metal blade and its no longer an option.
Though we can still choose to throw metal blade or leaf shield when leaf shield is up its still a pretty big loss for me.

KokiEatingCookies

Smash Rookie
NNID
KokiEatingCookie
3DS FC
3153-4012-2725
i think down throw to f-air seems to have changed. I had adjust my timing a bit for it combo like before.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
Checked some % from the guide, unless they were changed since then, this is what I got:

backthrow does 11% compared to 9
up throw does 7% compared to 8

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Leaf shield seems faster. Not sure what it is. Less start up lag, less landing lag from short hop, faster throw? But it does seem to last slightly less time?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm with Locke on this one. offhand, almost nothing except for the item in-hand pellets seems to be all that different. Leaf shield does seem fast, but may be a placebo. And I'll gladly accept the new c stick differences if it means I stop jabbing accidentally with it. (You can still SH Z drop a metal blade and recatch it while shooting lemons)

dsmash seems unchanged in terms of hitboxes, etc... but may be slightly faster startup again... idk.
fsmash seems unchanged (although that A+B = smash attack setting makes pivots much more consistent for me)
usmash seems the same. here's hoping it links a bit better.

something about fair seems better. I can't place it or confirm this really. Something like the knockback angle has changed... idk
bair, uair, and dair all seem unchanged. possibly small changes to killing % but nothing stands out to me

I think dash attack has gotten a 1% nerf. Thought it used to do 11, but now I'm getting 10
EDIT: checked the guide and it says 10%, so I must have just misremembered. sorry.

all the throws seem functionally unchanged

Leaf shield might be a bit better on throw. all the other B moves seem unchanged. I'm not looking at customs at the moment.

So overall, it looks like we were mostly untouched while the top tiers were indeed brought down. Let's all breathe a sigh of relief. : )

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I'm with Locke on this one. offhand, almost nothing except for the item in-hand pellets seems to be all that different. Leaf shield does seem fast, but may be a placebo. And I'll gladly accept the new c stick differences if it means I stop jabbing accidentally with it. (You can still SH Z drop a metal blade and recatch it while shooting lemons)

dsmash seems unchanged in terms of hitboxes, etc... but may be slightly faster startup again... idk.
fsmash seems unchanged (although that A+B = smash attack setting makes pivots much more consistent for me)
usmash seems the same. here's hoping it links a bit better.

something about fair seems better. I can't place it or confirm this really. Something like the knockback angle has changed... idk
bair, uair, and dair all seem unchanged. possibly small changes to killing % but nothing stands out to me

I think dash attack has gotten a 1% nerf. Thought it used to do 11, but now I'm getting 10

all the throws seem functionally unchanged

Leaf shield might be a bit better on throw. all the other B moves seem unchanged. I'm not looking at customs at the moment.

So overall, it looks like we were mostly untouched while the top tiers were indeed brought down. Let's all breathe a sigh of relief. : )
What do you mean by A+B = smash attack setting? I just want to check if this is new knowledge to me!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
What do you mean by A+B = smash attack setting? I just want to check if this is new knowledge to me!
They added a new setting in control options (on by default, but yes you can turn off) that makes A+B do a smash attack. Meaning if you are holding a direction (walking, not running) and hit A+B, you'll do a smash attack now. Another option besides tapping the control stick or using c stick

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Press attack and special at the exact same time, and you get fSmash. It's a strange decision.

Edit: ninja'd

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Oh! Interesting.... Thanks, man! I didn't know about the new setting.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I just did some testing of the DownBs.

Activation time is the same as I remember on all 3.

I'm 99% sure throw startup is faster on Leaf Shield. It is now quick enough that we can short hop and throw it before we land, which I'm fairly certain wasn't possible before. In general it just feels easier to time the throw.

Cooldown after throw for Leaf Shield seems the same.

Throw may be faster on Skull Barrier, though it was always pretty fast.

Cooldown after throw for Skull Barrier seems the same.

Plant Barrier is unchanged.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Also, I tested against Villager and can note (with some relief) that Pocket is unchanged vis-a-vis Metal Blade. If Villager pockets Metal Blade we can still generate a new one, thank Bob.

ETA: This isn't a big deal, but utilt cancelled Instabounce is gone. If you stand behind Rush and utilt, you'll simply perform a utilt now. All other variations of Instabounce still in.

Last edited:

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Not a fan that the decided to get rid of the ability to shoot pellets / buster while holding MB.

Leaf Shield throw does seem to have less recovery frames.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Also, I tested against Villager and can note (with some relief) that Pocket is unchanged vis-a-vis Metal Blade. If Villager pockets Metal Blade we can still generate a new one, thank Bob.

ETA: This isn't a big deal, but utilt cancelled Instabounce is gone. If you stand behind Rush and utilt, you'll simply perform a utilt now. All other variations of Instabounce still in.
It can still be done ut is harder (the instabounce) THE BEST THING IS WE DON'T GET PHANTOM LAG IF WE CANCEL RUSH LANDING LAG WITH B MOVES! NOW EVERYTHING GETS RID OF PHANTOM LAG! NOT JUST A MOVES! SO LEAF SHIELD CAN BE USED AFTER RUSH TO CANCEL LAG AND THEN JUMP WITHOUT GETTING LAG AGAIN!
Also yes! leaf shield is faster! we can short hop leaf throw and it will go a higher distance than throwing it without short hop!

Last edited:
Top Bottom