• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bair -> stage spike is not a gimmick. Here is a deadly mixup

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Many people have been trying to avoid relying on pikachu's bair for edge guarding claiming "Once people learn to tech it it will become obsolete"

What input is needed to stage spike? A: The same input that causes air dodge.

If you fastfall bair at the last second, the opponent will fall out of it and will throw out any input they buffer. If you air dodge from there, you will not be able to recover unless you are villager.
This works by abusing the buffer mechanic allowing moves to input on the first possible frame.
This is a 50:50 mixup. Both lead to death
Even at low percents: If they don't tech, then you get a free footstool

To explain this further to people that have trouble getting infromation from reading and do not understand the video. These are their options after getting hit with bair offstage:

1. They can Press L or R which leads to
a. We stage spike them, then they survive by teching it
b. We fastfall at the last second, they air dodge to their death
OR
2. They buffer a recovery option or press nothing
a. They get stage spiked and die (or stage spike to footstool)
b.There is a possibility that they recover safely by not buffering anything that won't help them recover (They are still in a really sticky situation)

https://youtu.be/0_MeYKMyyFU?t=8m

Here is a video example. I hope to see more pikachu mains abuse this

Last edited:

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
Good write up. Its just another option Pikachu has at his disposal for edge-guarding. With the virtually no kill set-ups (at least to my knowledge), he really needs to make the most of every off-stage situation and to be honest I don't really know why anyone would consider B-Air to stage spike a gimmick, but anyways thanks for the post.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Good write up. Its just another option Pikachu has at his disposal for edge-guarding. With the virtually no kill set-ups (at least to my knowledge), he really needs to make the most of every off-stage situation and to be honest I don't really know why anyone would consider B-Air to stage spike a gimmick, but anyways thanks for the post.
Thank you, but I do know people that think it is, or at least did

There were always the people that would say "One of these days people will learn to tech it" or "It is not reliable against people that are good at teching it". It does not ensure a kill if they tech it, so I figured a way around that

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
ive gotten footstools out of it before i dunno the exact way to replicate it but its something to look out for.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
ive gotten footstools out of it before i dunno the exact way to replicate it but its something to look out for.
Just got that today lol
I got it because I dragged rosalina down to an area where she could not recover with her up B without moving a little bit to adjust the spacing, so she didn't Up B right away, so I got the footstool

Last edited:

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to ask about the "Press nothing" option they have. What if they simply do not buffer an air dodge, and when we launch them with the final hit, then they react to what we do by either either air dodging to tech or try to recover? Do they need to buffer an air dodge in order to tech it? Or can they tech after we launch them? And if they see that we are dragging them down, can't try to recover instead? It's hard for some characters to recover after Pikachu drags them down, so wouldn't that be the better option every time against a competent opponent?

TLDR; Can't they press nothing and react accordingly to the 50:50 we present?

Last edited:

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I'd like to ask about the "Press nothing" option they have. What if they simply do not buffer an air dodge, and when we launch them with the final hit, then they react to what we do by either either air dodging to tech or try to recover? Do they need to buffer an air dodge in order to tech it? Or can they tech after we launch them? And if they see that we are dragging them down, can't try to recover instead? It's hard for some characters to recover after Pikachu drags them down, so wouldn't that be the better option every time against a competent opponent?

TLDR; Can't they press nothing and react accordingly to the 50:50 we present?
It would require godlike reaction time on the tech
You have 2 options and have to input 2 completely different options on reaction in a split second

Plus we are going to try to jump up after this, that means we would get the footstool if they do not react right away with their recovery option

The answer is no unless you have some super gamer genes or something lol

I have personally gotten hit by this, both of my main training partners have a pocket pikachu and I have tried the just react option, and I just kept getting killed

Sometimes at lower percents though, it is smarter to just not tech it and try to buffer a recovery option with some characters, as long as the missed tech won't kill you.

last night I was watching ESAM's stream VODS and I also saw him do it, so if the best pikachu started doing this, then I stop questioning my technology lol

EhMon

Smash Rookie
To add another layer to this, if you opt for the tech mixup, I like to throw in a double jump Thunder. I've gotten quite a few really awesome thunder spikes and stage spikes from people thinking they've escaped the danger only to get styled on ;)

All and all a realllllly good way to finish stocks from a grab release, head butts on ledge, etc.

Last edited:

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
when I try this the opponent always seems to pop up rather than fall out, I think this technique may be somewhat character dependent

Last edited:

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
when I try this the opponent always seems to pop up rather than fall out, I think this technique may be somewhat character dependent
Pop up? Care to elaborate?

Its not character dependent? Its an engine mixup and all characters use this part of the engine the same way? I am kinda confused, maybe I will understand with some explanation, if so I will look into it and maybe even update the thread

Top Bottom