• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad Movie Topic

NeroeXIII

Smash Apprentice
I just finished watching the movie, "The Mist." I thought it was really good at the begininng. I had no Idea what was going to happen next, it was all just so mysterious. Near the middle, I felt like this movie could go on FOREVER and near the end I was about to kill myself, because I KNEW there was going to have some stupid, ironic, or empty meaning ending. When the end came, I was right.

Personally I thought it was a waste of time. But I do guess that there's SOME point to it. I guess you should jsut never really give up on life. Discuss.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Add the Ruins to that list.

Great book: awful movie. Short synopsis, everything good about the book was changed for the movie, including the ending.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
*puts up flame shield*

Add 2001 A Space Odyssey to that list. I don't quite understand the praise. I wouldn't know where to start on what's wrong with this movie, there are too many things wrong with it. The only thing it has going for it is that the special effects are impressive for it's time.

Don't spear me! My opinion.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
*puts up flame shield*

Add 2001 A Space Odyssey to that list. I don't quite understand the praise. I wouldn't know where to start on what's wrong with this movie, there are too many things wrong with it. The only thing it has going for it is that the special effects are impressive for it's time.

Don't spear me! My opinion.
Heh. Not to belittle your opinion or anything. I just want to know what are some of the things that are so wrong with the movie. If there are so many things then it should be pretty easy to name some.

My personal favorite movie of all time, btw. One of the most "literary" films I've ever seen.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Heh. Not to belittle your opinion or anything. I just want to know what are some of the things that are so wrong with the movie. If there are so many things then it should be pretty easy to name some.

My personal favorite movie of all time, btw. One of the most "literary" films I've ever seen.
I've never seen it, but isn't there something mega pop-culturey about it? Some sort of reference people often make to it? Oh yeah, the "I'm sorry, I can't let you do that." Is that where it's from?

I just found out the other day that Planet of the Apes is where the whole Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand came from.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Cabin Fever = Worst Movie Ever

For a horror/thriller movie, I did nothing but laugh at how over-the-top ridiculous it was. Seriously, watch it like it's a serious movie and you'll be disappointed. Watch it as a joke, and you may find it to be the funniest thing you've ever seen.

Frames

DI
Add the Ruins to that list.

Great book: awful movie. Short synopsis, everything good about the book was changed for the movie, including the ending.
OMG i second that. What a terrible movie, the only good part was seeing a bunch of punk kids get killed, but they couldn't even manage to do that right, because it wasn't even funny, just gross and stupid.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I've never seen it, but isn't there something mega pop-culturey about it? Some sort of reference people often make to it? Oh yeah, the "I'm sorry, I can't let you do that." Is that where it's from?

I just found out the other day that Planet of the Apes is where the whole Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand came from.
I've never really heard anybody say that, but that is something that HAL, the villain of the movie, says.

I've seen more references and parodies of the apes and the monolith, though.

But ya, pretty much any classic movie will get referenced in pop culture, kind of inevitable.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I've never really heard anybody say that, but that is something that HAL, the villain of the movie, says.
You see them on shows like The Simpson's, when someone happens upon some sort of servant robot. Then the line comes up.

Is The Ruins the new movie that's coming out?

By they way, add Scary Movie 3&4/Epic Movie/The Comebacks/Meet the Spartans/Superhero Movie to the list.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
I just want to know what are some of the things that are so wrong with the movie. If there are so many things then it should be pretty easy to name some.
I'm with you on that one Cubemario. I had heard all sorts of positive things about 2001: A Space Odyssey, such as it being a groundbreaking film and it's status as a frequent pop-culture reference. And I've also been trying to educate myself on good movies recently, so last summer sometime I rented it from Netflix. When it arrived in the mail, I popped it in to the DVD player, and by the time I got halfway through I was so bored I turned it off and never finished it. I just couldn't get past how slow paced it was. Maybe it was because I already knew what was gonna happen at the end (who doesn't?), but the movie just didn't hold my interest at all.

And I'd like to add another movie to the list of bad movies. But for a completely different reason. Not because it's a bad movie as in poorly thought out, derivative, full of bad acting, or boring (as most of the others on the list), but rather because watching it genuinely scarred me for life. You see, my friends and I have been working off this list of 50 movies to see before you die put out by some British TV channel, and one of the movies on the list is "Pink Flamingos." And that is one effed up movie. To this day I can't look at chickens in the same way. Never, ever watch it, seriously. No matter what people tell you. There's just no reason to subject yourself to that. And so it fits the description of a Bad Movie pretty well in my book.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Lets add more to the list, the sequels to the matrix. Now the sequels had some really good action scenes, but that's about it. The story went totally out the window in these sequels, that can't be forgiven. Most of the acting wasn't too hot either.

Now I wouldn't say they are BAD BAD movies, I would just say in comparison to the original, they are bad.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Lets add more to the list, the sequels to the matrix. Now the sequels had some really good action scenes, but that's about it. The story went totally out the window in these sequels, that can't be forgiven. Most of the acting wasn't too hot either.

Now I wouldn't say they are BAD BAD movies, I would just say in comparison to the original, they are bad.
I saved myself from the sequels, I knew they wouldn't be as good. Matter of fact, I didn't even watch the first until last year. I had no need, because I knew the storyline. But then I decided I wanted to see all the great American pop-culture phenomenon movies. So I watched that, Planet of the Apes, Terminator, etc.

More bad movies. Hmmm...

I really disliked Spiderman 3.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I forgot about that one. Yes spider-man 3 is a disgrace. It gives a big middle finger to both the fans of the first 2 (which were good) and the fans of the original comics.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I Am Legend was so bad compared to the book
I'm torn on I Am Legend. I think both the book and the movie were great. Just if you read the book, then the movie tends to be worse because the movie lacks the message that the book had at the end. That Neville realized that he was the new legendary creature of the night to be feared (As vampires are to us), and he needed to go away, and leave the world to the new civilization of the world. He Was Legend because of that, not because he saved human kind. I kind of new that Hollywood would take the hero approach to it. The book just had a more powerful message.

To all confused movie-seers:

In the book Neville would kill the infected at night while they slept, so they feared him. As we fear Vampires. So they caught him, and before they killed him he reflected on his life, and realized that he was now a legend. The infected in the book were much more human-like. They spread legends about him and how he killed them. So Neville realized that he was a legend and needed to go.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
I'm torn on I Am Legend. I think both the book and the movie were great. Just if you read the book, then the movie tends to be worse because the movie lacks the message that the book had at the end. That Neville realized that he was the new legendary creature of the night to be feared (As vampires are to us), and he needed to go away, and leave the world to the new civilization of the world. He Was Legend because of that, not because he saved human kind. I kind of new that Hollywood would take the hero approach to it. The book just had a more powerful message.

To all confused movie-seers:

In the book Neville would kill the infected at night while they slept, so they feared him. As we fear Vampires. So they caught him, and before they killed him he reflected on his life, and realized that he was now a legend. The infected in the book were much more human-like. They spread legends about him and how he killed them. So Neville realized that he was a legend and needed to go.
That is why I disliked it because it lacked that message and thus made it a story with less depth

Symphony X

Smash Lord
That is why I disliked it because it lacked that message and thus made it a story with less depth
I also disliked the illogicality of the ending. There was plenty of space in the vault. He could have waited in the vault while they broke in, thrown the grenade and closed the door. No one would sacrifice themself if they didn't have to.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm talking about the Chris Elliot one. Awful movie. Honestly, I hated every minute.

And YES, Back to the Future is one of the best movies of all time, but the mere fact that it is on this thread is a contradiction of this thread's very existence.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
That it is. I was actually hoping it would create a paradox in the movie continuum, suddenly making every movie in this thread better. Looks like it didn't work.

... I still liked cabin Boy.

Exovel

Smash Ace
You still double posted too!

Another bad movie, which has been mentioned earlier, is Spiderman 3... but what you forgot to mention is that they are all bad, it is merely that they have gotten progressively worse.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I don't think the first one was that bad. Maybe it was just because I first saw it when I was in elementary, back then every movie was awesome, because you never got to go to the movie theater.

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
Are you kidding me? Troll 2 should've won an Oscar.

Psh.
As a horror movie, no.

As a comedy, hell yes! :laugh:

BTW, did you see that that kid actor in Troll 2 is now making a documentary about the whole "so bad its good" movie genre? Can't wait to see it.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I thought X-Men: The Last Stand was pretty bad. If you think about it, nothing changed except Cyclops being dead. Also, lol goth mutants.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
You know, I actually liked spiderman 2. I thought it was the best of them. Spiderman 3 was terrible.

I'm about to go see Prom Night. I'm doing a pre-emptive post about it

edit: and I just saw Matrix Reloaded, and I actually liked it. I'm surprised, because I hated it for so long. Maybe it's because I'm so much more interested in free will that I enjoyed the movie (as it mentions the concept all the time), or maybe it's for the Buddhism references, but either way. I haven't seen the third one since theaters, so I'd still consider the sequels as a whole to be bad. When you compare the sequel to the first one, it's sad. When you barely remember the first one and see the second one by itself, I'd say it's not bad. Eh, I'm not movie critic.

I barely just hate movies. If they're god awful, I generally can laugh. It's been a long time since I've just been bored with a movie

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, all these superhero trilogies really take a dump on their previous two movies. At that point it's more about product placement and merchandising than making a god**** good movie. "Let's just add forty-something pointless characters so we can sell miniature plastic versions of them at outrageous prices".

Oh, is "Smart People" good, anyone?

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Dat be the one wit Dennis Quaid, dat Juno chick, and dat shoe from Sex and the City.

In all seriousness it looked promising from the previews.

Freezrbrn

Smash Cadet
Anyone seen 21? It has the guy from Across the Universe in it. He's a pretty good actor. I'm wanting to know if he's really got the accent or not. He uses it well. Anywho...

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Just saw Prom Night. It was actually good at making everything seem sad, but it just wasn't scary. The characters were also almost non-existent. Overall, bad.

Top Bottom