• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad matchups for villager

Adunnie1

Smash Rookie
I am thinking of maining villager and want to know the bad matchups for picking a possible secondary. What do y'all think are the matchups that villager struggles with?

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
One word: Olimar.

Olimar has always been one of the most historically oppressive matchups for any character who relies on projectiles, or even just anyone without good diagonal attack options. Villager is both of those.

We don't really have any other terrible matchups. The gyroid isn't threatening when reflected and can be pocketed. Villager's got a load of new close-range options, so if you're good with them then you'll no longer be combo food for Sheik.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Probably not something you'll come across a lot but Megaman is really hard because he's one of the few characters that can outcamp Villager. Pocketing stuff is largely useless unless your opponent is careless with a charge shot. It's a match up of severe patience and probably one that will lead to a time out if they know what they're doing.

Firox

Smash Master
I gotta say, I used to really like Megaman in Smash4, but I feel like they made him way campier and boring in ultimate.

D

Deleted member

Mega Man, Olimar and anyone with a Sword. He isn't the most amazing of characters and you'll have to accept that, I'd suggest using as secondary any of the Top Tiers since they have an ok matchup against these. (For example :ultlucina::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultwario:)

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
Pichu is pretty hard to zone out because of his size, but pikachu is worse because he can usually outcamp and freely spam thunderjolt until he rushes you down with combos.

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Pichu is pretty hard to zone out because of his size, but pikachu is worse because he can usually outcamp and freely spam thunderjolt until he rushes you down with combos.
Pichu's size and speed is agony, but well-placed side-tilts and shorthopped n-airs will catch him. This matchup is only doomed if you're one of those Villager players who hasn't found out that the slingshot isn't his only attack.

Thunder Jolt is a slow projectile. You can easily block it with a gyroid or pocket it for a combo.

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
Pichu's size and speed is agony, but well-placed side-tilts and shorthopped n-airs will catch him. This matchup is only doomed if you're one of those Villager players who hasn't found out that the slingshot isn't his only attack.

Thunder Jolt is a slow projectile. You can easily block it with a gyroid or pocket it for a combo.
Pikachu can spam thunder jolt with no repercussions. Tree I find is a far better solution than pocket. Tree blocks out the jolts and better allows you to set up a wall of projectiles. You can only pocket one projectile at a time (should be more imo), and thunder jolt is pretty fast in regards to Villager's mobility. Also pocket's startup is a little too slow to be as consistent as I'd like it to be.

When it comes to those two though I find myself using the meatier hitboxes of dair/uair, nair, and tilts. Spacing while keeping up with Pichu/Pikachu is tricky.

Last edited:

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu can spam thunder jolt with no repercussions. Tree I find is a far better solution than pocket. Tree blocks out the jolts and better allows you to set up a wall of projectiles. You can only pocket one projectile at a time (should be more imo), and thunder jolt is pretty fast in regards to Villager's mobility. Also pocket's startup is a little too slow to be as consistent as I'd like it to be.

When it comes to those two though I find myself using the meatier hitboxes of dair/uair, nair, and tilts. Spacing while keeping up with Pichu/Pikachu is tricky.
I'm going to respectfully totally disagree with all of this.

Pikachu can't spam Thunder Jolts unless he's moving in the air. If stationary, you can easily block, roll, or jump. If you're close, you can use a tilt or instant dash attack to go right through it. If you're too far for that, then you can easily block with a gyroid or pocket it. I have never had any issue with the pocket's startup--it's nearly instant.

Blocking Thunder Jolts with a tree is not a consistent option. It's extremely slow, and Villager is usually at a disadvantage with the tree up because it blocks your own projectiles (while opposing projectiles are rarely threatening for Villager). It's CERTAINLY slower than blocking, jumping, gyroids, or pockets.

If you need to see other ways to play around Thunder Jolt, then play as Pikachu and try to spam it against a level 9 CPU. I use Pichu often, and if I try to do that in neutral then I'm about to get bodied hard.

st marshmallow

Smash Rookie
I'm going to respectfully totally disagree with all of this.

Pikachu can't spam Thunder Jolts unless he's moving in the air. If stationary, you can easily block, roll, or jump. If you're close, you can use a tilt or instant dash attack to go right through it. If you're too far for that, then you can easily block with a gyroid or pocket it. I have never had any issue with the pocket's startup--it's nearly instant.

Blocking Thunder Jolts with a tree is not a consistent option. It's extremely slow, and Villager is usually at a disadvantage with the tree up because it blocks your own projectiles (while opposing projectiles are rarely threatening for Villager). It's CERTAINLY slower than blocking, jumping, gyroids, or pockets.

If you need to see other ways to play around Thunder Jolt, then play as Pikachu and try to spam it against a level 9 CPU. I use Pichu often, and if I try to do that in neutral then I'm about to get bodied hard.
That's the thing, a good pikachu is never stationary and thunderjolt is best used in the air, the moment after you pocket one jolt another is in your face from the ground and another in the air. You're forced to dance around them, and pikachu is already hard to hit so you have to be really patient and precise.

If you set up a gyroid you can get a tree up most of the time. I'll have to disagree about the matchup but who knows im probably just bad.

Top Bottom