• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bad Internet Ban (technical questions/fixes)

Yaotl

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5301-1958-5064
Switch FC
SW-8527-6365-7984
If you run into any error codes while playing online, try out these fixes. If a code you experience isn't listed, post in the thread and I'll update the OP!

Error Code: 2618-0516

Description:
You are unable to complete the match-making process and receive the error code 2618-0516.
Additional Information:
This error code generally indicates that your network is not optimal for peer to peer connections, likely due to your network's NAT type.
What to Do:
If your receive this error code every time you attempt to connect with others, or when attempting to connect with a specific player, walk through our steps to troubleshoot NAT related issues.
Situation Not Resolved:
If you are still unable to connect, this may indicate an issue related to the network environment or router being used.
If you would like to continue troubleshooting potential issues related to the router, contact the router's manufacturer for assistance with performing the following steps:
  • Updating the router's firmware
  • Resetting the router back to its factory default settings
Error Code: 2618-0513

Description:
You are unable to complete the match-making process and receive the error code 2618-0513.

Additional Information:
This error code generally indicates that your network is not optimal for peer to peer connections, this may be due to the ISP, Internet connection speeds, or due to your network's NAT type.
What to Do:
  • Try the match-making process again. If you receive this error, you may be able to connect with others after trying again.

• If you receive this error code every time you attempt to connect with others, or when attempting to connect with a specific player, try our online match-making troubleshooting steps.
Situation Not Resolved:
  • If you are still unable to connect, this may indicate an issue related to the network environment or router being used.
  • If you would like to continue troubleshooting potential issues related to the router, contact the router's manufacturer for assistance with performing the following steps:
    • Updating the router's firmware
    • Resetting the router back to its factory default settings

First question

Is it true that you can get banned for not having good enough internet, I know that you get banned for sd'ing a lot, but I didn't know about the whole wifi thing?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is it true that you can get banned for not having good enough internet, I know that you get banned for sd'ing a lot, but I didn't know about the whole wifi thing
If you disconnect repeatedly for any reason, you usually get banned. Doesn't matter if it's rage-quitting or connection loss on your end. And since you can't directly quit out of matches, nor SD, there's no escape.

Yaotl

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5301-1958-5064
Switch FC
SW-8527-6365-7984
If you disconnect repeatedly for any reason, you usually get banned. Doesn't matter if it's rage-quitting or connection loss on your end. And since you can't directly quit out of matches, nor SD, there's no escape.
Thanks

Megabroof

Smash Rookie
Basically, i was online in a ffa stock match. We all had 2 stocks at the very begining, before ANYONE had even pressed their first button, p1s (me) stock was taken for no reason. After a bit p3s stock was randomly taken as well. Ive only seen this 3 times, what is it?

1FC0

Smash Lord
IMO this is really stupid. There ought to be a forfeit button. A lot of people forfeit on me because of my insanely good skills and I do not find it so bad because I understand that my skill can be overwhelming. Unless I am conquesting because in that case it costs me a point but even that is really Nintendo's fault for making the conquest rules stupid.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
IMO this is really stupid. There ought to be a forfeit button. A lot of people forfeit on me because of my insanely good skills and I do not find it so bad because I understand that my skill can be overwhelming. Unless I am conquesting because in that case it costs me a point but even that is really Nintendo's fault for making the conquest rules stupid.
You give quitters an inch in allowing them an out with no penalty other than rank they may not care about, and they will take the mile quitting at the slightest provocation. Players who would use this option don't care about getting better, they just want to win with little effort. They'll quit if they self-destruct, start falling behind in a free-for-all, or even right as the match starts if it even appears the opponent is better than them or just facing a bad matchup, or even if they just didn't get the exact stage they wanted! All this will turn online into hell for all but the best players who have the fortitude to tough out a bad match.

Experience has taught me you just can't trust players with any kind of agency in these matters. Bans (or the more creative but equivalent in purpose "quitter purgatory") are the only thing they listen to.

1FC0

Smash Lord
You give quitters an inch in allowing them an out with no penalty other than rank they may not care about, and they will take the mile quitting at the slightest provocation. Players who would use this option don't care about getting better, they just want to win with little effort. They'll quit if they self-destruct, start falling behind in a free-for-all, or even right as the match starts if it even appears the opponent is better than them or just facing a bad matchup, or even if they just didn't get the exact stage they wanted! All this will turn online into hell for all but the best players who have the fortitude to tough out a bad match.

Experience has taught me you just can't trust players with any kind of agency in these matters. Bans (or the more creative but equivalent in purpose "quitter purgatory") are the only thing they listen to.
Quitter purgatory seems to be the most reasonable solution then. Let quitters play against quitters as much as they want. That way everyone can have fun. An option to include people from quitter purgatory in ones search could also be nice.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Quitter purgatory seems to be the most reasonable solution then. Let quitters play against quitters as much as they want. That way everyone can have fun. An option to include people from quitter purgatory in ones search could also be nice.
No, they're not having fun because everyone quits on them when they start winning. That's the whole point of the purgatory. And they're not getting rank from it either because otherwise it'd leave room for the exploit of coordinating with a friend to inflate it by losing/quitting on purpose, or if we go by your suggestion good players picking on the quitters to get easy wins.

1FC0

Smash Lord
No, they're not having fun because everyone quits on them when they start winning. That's the whole point of the purgatory.
That still means it is fun if the battle is about even so that it does not become quickly obvious who wins. I have had fun games against quitters before they quit. Obviously a forfeit should count as loss.
And they're not getting rank from it either because otherwise it'd leave room for the exploit of coordinating with a friend to inflate it by losing/quitting on purpose, or if we go by your suggestion good players picking on the quitters to get easy wins.
Win / loss ratio's are meaningless anyway so cheesing to get wins does not matter. A meaningful score system would take into account your opponents score when determining how many points you can win or lose. In such a system the exploit that you mention would fail. So either your exploit is meaningless or it fails. Either way it is not a problem.

Semako

Smash Cadet
Most of the time when I try to join a lobby or search for a battle, my switch errors out with 2618-0516 - couldn't connect with other consoles. I'm currently using an LTE cube for my wifi (until I get internet via fibre, the cables are already here, including ethernet cables to my PC and to my switch, but our provider doesn't update its database so that we can't get the contract we want...).

I already tried to set up port forwarding, but without success.
I can't set the ports 1 - 65535 for WAN, because two ports aren't allowed.
This affects the possible ports for LAN too, because these are set to 1 - 65535 only when the WAN ports are, if I set the WAN ports to 1702 - 65535 - 1701 is the higher of the two not allowed prorts - the LAN ports automatically are set to 1 - 163834 instead.

Interestingly, trying to use my phone's hotspot, which uses the same provider as the LTE cube, I get the same issue...

Other games such as Sm4sh and Mario Kart Wii via Wiimmfi have the same issue as well, I get similar erros most of the time and always when I try to join friend lobbies. Can anyone help me here?

And does anyone know how much GSP I will need for Elite Smash? I already have 600k with Ike, but not unlocked Elite Smash yet...

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I had the same problem. Your NAT's type is not "open". Here is how I solved it: https://forum.tele2.nl/tips-vanuit-...niet-van-het-technicolor-tg789bvn-modem-47624 .It is in Dutch and not all details apply but the general principles are the same and it was easy for me to solve my problem using this.

What might help with testing is to go to options in the Switches menu and test your network connection there since it will also tell you which NAT type that you have. Type D is what I had during the problem and type A is what I have now that the problem is resolved.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I'm hearing a lot of things getting people banned, and with online in its current state, I feel worried I might fall victim to one of these traps.

What does a ban imply in Smash Ultimate? I know in Smash 4 it was never more than 10 minutes.

Pyr

Smash Lord
I'm hearing a lot of things getting people banned, and with online in its current state, I feel worried I might fall victim to one of these traps.

What does a ban imply in Smash Ultimate? I know in Smash 4 it was never more than 10 minutes.
I wouldn't worry about it that much. 200+ in and the only restriction I experienced was due to my network experiencing issues. (Steam Updating a game lol) I even use the text taunts post-match and tbag like no tomorrow.

Also, Smash 4 could reach up to 40 minutes. I wasn't salty and quit out on death. I swear.

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
The only way I think of this working for a forfeit button is that when you click it, you’re removed from the online match and go looking for new ones. But to other players, the announcer will just “PLAYER ONE: DEFEATED” or “PLAYER THREE: FORFEITS”. And they lose their place.

In a 1v1, it’ll just quit. I don’t see why that’s so hard to do.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I wouldn't worry about it that much. 200+ in and the only restriction I experienced was due to my network experiencing issues. (Steam Updating a game lol) I even use the text taunts post-match and tbag like no tomorrow.

Also, Smash 4 could reach up to 40 minutes. I wasn't salty and quit out on death. I swear.
Well I was never banned for any longer than ten minutes in Smash 4, so I wouldn't know the maximum length. I have been banned a few times though due to elements out of my control, and I have a pretty good story of lag at its absolute worst. I was asking because a lot of the stuff going on with online has me a bit concerned especially in the current version.

For one, I hate FFAs and never want to play them except with friends IRL. I suck at them, and often am the first one to go. Maybe the second if I am lucky. I don't want to sit around being forced to watch matches I had no interest in. I'll play them until my end willfully, but I want to leave then and there. The fact that this is mandated on me is so infuriating that I feel half tempted to restart Smash Ultimate half the time. Another thing is the connection. Not everyone has good connection, so sometimes it makes it hard for my Switch to stay connected to the players. If the game disconnects me because the system paired me with some toaster wifi person in Japan, I shouldn't be held accountable for that, yet Smash 4 would hold me accountable for stuff simply out of my control more often than not.

I am just concerned for what Smash Ultimate's online has in store for me during the game's early days and want to know what might happen to me should things go south in an online match.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo shouldn’t tell us to be held responsible for our own WiFi when they don’t know our connection situations while Sakurai sits in his solid gold castle with surround sound wifi. Like come one. At least most of us have families or roommates who use WiFi too. Don’t ban me for having a bad connections. Improve your damn online option.

All of this honestly makes me want to quit Smash U and go back to the Wii U before they ultimately close that if they haven’t already,

LordOfMegadesk

Smash Rookie
It seems that plenty of people are playing online just fine, but I'm still having the exact same issues as pre-patch.

My internet test results are around 40 down, and 7 up. I have zero hitching, or "normal lag" during matches. Zero. But I still have a consistent input lag that feels to be around 16-20 frames. It's at least MUCH more than the standard 6 in offline mode, which feels fine. It makes all online matches unplayable. All of my friends who own the game are experiencing the exact same issue (some of them with better internet speeds than mine).

Looking for any and all advice!

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Hi it's not that problem but another thing.
I can't see any room at Arena.
Normally I see 50 rooms if I search room for 1 on 1 at "Any".
But now from 5 to 0. Suddenly all rooms are disappeared.
What happened? Is this happening only to me?
Is this some kind of online error?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
It seems that plenty of people are playing online just fine, but I'm still having the exact same issues as pre-patch.

My internet test results are around 40 down, and 7 up. I have zero hitching, or "normal lag" during matches. Zero. But I still have a consistent input lag that feels to be around 16-20 frames. It's at least MUCH more than the standard 6 in offline mode, which feels fine. It makes all online matches unplayable. All of my friends who own the game are experiencing the exact same issue (some of them with better internet speeds than mine).

Looking for any and all advice!
There's always gonna be a small amount of added lag online. Distance from your opponent, and your opponent's connection come into play. Your best bet is to get an ethernet adapter to reduce it as much as possible. Nintendo released an official one through Hori or you can get a secondhand/3rd party Wii/Wii U adapter and it should help.

LordOfMegadesk

Smash Rookie
There's always gonna be a small amount of added lag online. Distance from your opponent, and your opponent's connection come into play. Your best bet is to get an ethernet adapter to reduce it as much as possible. Nintendo released an official one through Hori or you can get a secondhand/3rd party Wii/Wii U adapter and it should help.
But unplayable input lag with 40d/7u, even when playing with friends not 30 minutes away? Doesn't seem right at all.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What caught my attention in your OP was that your friends are having this issue also. That tells me your WAN is experiencing issues. Do you all have the same carrier?

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
I'm sure it goes without saying but make sure you aren't playing on WiFi. Always use direct Ethernet connection for netplay.
You're probably doing this already but it can never be said enough. Hope your connection problem sorts itself out soon.
For me playing in the UK I'm also experiencing bad input delay but not for 100% of games.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
But unplayable input lag with 40d/7u, even when playing with friends not 30 minutes away? Doesn't seem right at all.
it seems on the money. This is common. Fighting games are more difficult to account for in terms of latency. I've experienced this with every fighting game pretty much ever released since 2009. Street Fighter, to KOF, to Marvel. DBFZ even.

the only exception was VF5 and that was some sorcery like ****.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Different carriers.
I was afraid of that. Well at this point there's little more you can do from your location. If you take your switch to another location preferably a friend's house that's NOT experiencing issues and try a quickplay and it improves then you know it's the area network connection from your house. If it doesn't improve then it's a setting in your own Switch.

LordOfMegadesk

Smash Rookie
I was afraid of that. Well at this point there's little more you can do from your location. If you take your switch to another location preferably a friend's house that's NOT experiencing issues and try a quickplay and it improves then you know it's the area network connection from your house. If it doesn't improve then it's a setting in your own Switch.

Well, I just successfully got the online input to decrease to playable levels. I did it by putting the Switch into hand-held mode....

...which honestly makes me angry.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I've yet to understand why that works but you're now the third poster to reveal this as a fix. I agree it's a crappy solution, mainly I prefer playing on my big TV lol. Hmmm are you using joycons or gc adapter or what?

LordOfMegadesk

Smash Rookie
I've yet to understand why that works but you're now the third poster to reveal this as a fix. I agree it's a crappy solution, mainly I prefer playing on my big TV lol. Hmmm are you using joycons or gc adapter or what?
Joycons in hand-held mode, which is why I'm peeved. I can't really be competitive unless I'm using a GC controller.

Have ya'll had a chance to check this post out?

https://np.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/a4cblp/crosspost_psa_you_can_improve_your_internet/

I did this before going online and I've literally had a laggy match in 1 out of every 100 or so games online. This does include FFAs. It may help you guys out.
Messing with MTU actually made my speeds worse.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You were fine until you mention MTU. DO NOT set your MTU to 1500. Setting your MTU to 1500 may work out for some people, but it may cause higher fragmentation and even worse lag to you and others. Instead follow this link here to find your "optimal" MTU. When you do, set ALL your devices that connects to your router (and even the router itself via WAN) that uses MTU to the optimal value.
So yeah good advice just be sure to use the optimal MTU rather than a blanket 1500.

Joycons in hand-held mode, which is why I'm peeved. I can't really be competitive unless I'm using a GC controller.
Just when I think I have it figured out lol. If you'd said you used joycons while it's docked I would have said oh, must be wireless latency. Meh. Well then I guess we need more data. It's gotta be something that can be traceable.

Last edited:

LordOfMegadesk

Smash Rookie
So yeah good advice just be sure to use the optimal MTU rather than a blanket 1500.

Just when I think I have it figured out lol. If you'd said you used joycons while it's docked I would have said oh, must be wireless latency. Meh. Well then I guess we need more data. It's gotta be something that can be traceable.
Could it be related to taxation of the hardware? The Switch working less hard in hand-held mode because 720p instead of 1080p?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Could it be related to taxation of the hardware? The Switch working less hard in hand-held mode because 720p instead of 1080p?
Yes actually according to some reddits the lesser resolution frees up the hardware...I hate to think this is the only solution tho.

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
Oof I hate being forced to use Joy-cons. Personally I got a Pro Controller for handheld (and for SFV actually), but there is an adapter you can use for handheld mode, and controllers that have a GC layout but digital triggers, a second Z button and they’re effectively Pro Controllers that feel like GC

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to have an online match similar to local multiplayer, this game is really snappy on local like unbelievably responsive, it makes you play completely different when you have that responsiveness, is it possible to get that feel online with a really good connection?

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I heard things go out of whack if your router can't handle a device going to 1500, but if yours can, do it.

I had decently noticeable connection issues playing online on Smash, so I decided to tackle it head on. I ordered an Ethernet adapter that's said to work with the Switch that's coming in tomorrow, and I changed my MTU setting from 1400 to 1500. Connection issues decreased rather significantly since, with less stuttering, hiccups, and no connection errors on my end anymore. Yes, there's a small delay to online games we gotta deal with, but this change might smooth out the rest of the experience so matches run a bit smoother. Try it out.

And no, I don't think this is a placebo.

Wobblerbox

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to have an online match similar to local multiplayer, this game is really snappy on local like unbelievably responsive, it makes you play completely different when you have that responsiveness, is it possible to get that feel online with a really good connection?
No, i play online with my neighbor and it still feels like ****.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
It would not be placebo if you are directly telling the Switch to pull large amounts of data from the router :p

I've played some matches with the MTU on 1400 then to 1500, while I don't see any huge changes. The input delay felt noticeably better.

Last edited:

Level45

Smash Rookie
No, i play online with my neighbor and it still feels like ****.
are you both playing on wifi, if you don't have Ethernet you honestly shouldn't complain about online lag because its hard to know if its you having bad wifi or if you're internet is bad or if it is a netcode problem

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to get a refund on the subscription service? I just can't play this game with input lag. It's not Smash bros

Last edited:
Top Bottom