• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad Habits With Mario?

playpat3

Smash Rookie
Was wondering what were your personal bad habits with mario are. I feel like Mario is an interesting character when it comes to getting in on your opponent that when I start to find a way that works for me, i use it to a point where I feel like im just aimlessly spamming. and after a match ill be thinking about how much of his moveset i dont use and should start practicing.

for one i depend on back air way too much and have to get used to getting in while facing my opponent for grab mixups. it gets to a point where im just wailing out back airs for no reason.

i dont get my opponent in the air enough such as with his down tilt in order to get combos with his up-airs. i feel like mario is a character that you should focus on knocking the opponent upwards to rack up damage and i gotta start doing that.

thats just two of my examples, curious what you would consider ur bad habits are with him also

GhostM

Phantom
Mario is not my main, as I play him solely for fun sometimes, but some of the bad habits I have is that I commit too much towards up air combos and leave myself wide open. I always have the habit of going for more uairs after I land the first one, which any opponent can easy read it and get an easy punish for me.

Other habits include using cape as a stall offstage at the wrong time, and utilizing the same moves instead of mixing it up.

playpat3

Smash Rookie
Mario is not my main, as I play him solely for fun sometimes, but some of the bad habits I have is that I commit too much towards up air combos and leave myself wide open. I always have the habit of going for more uairs after I land the first one, which any opponent can easy read it and get an easy punish for me.

Other habits include using cape as a stall offstage at the wrong time, and utilizing the same moves instead of mixing it up.
i cape stall too. a lot. and when i do it offstage sometimes the opponent i guess is TOO close and the cape contact noise will sound but i still get killed for it. if that makes sense

tinyforest

Smash Rookie
i tend to over commit to by double short hop back air, it gets read alot. im usually pretty good at not over extending my combos but alot of the time i wiil still try to up b after up air strings even when i shouldnt, leaving me very exposed

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Love me some Mario from time to time, i used to play him in a lot back in sm4sh.

However... That's the problem... sometimes i still think he has his godly up-tilts, and then i get pulled back into the harsh reality when none of them connects and i get punished hard for waving my arms in the air like an utter buffon.

J.C. VOX

Smash Rookie
Premium
NNID
J.C. VOX
Switch FC
SW-5792-0831-3802
I definitely have a bad habit of using FLUUD in the most inopportune situations. Can't seem to keep my patience in using it.

Nubby

Smash Cadet
Was wondering what were your personal bad habits with mario are. I feel like Mario is an interesting character when it comes to getting in on your opponent that when I start to find a way that works for me, i use it to a point where I feel like im just aimlessly spamming. and after a match ill be thinking about how much of his moveset i dont use and should start practicing.

for one i depend on back air way too much and have to get used to getting in while facing my opponent for grab mixups. it gets to a point where im just wailing out back airs for no reason.

i dont get my opponent in the air enough such as with his down tilt in order to get combos with his up-airs. i feel like mario is a character that you should focus on knocking the opponent upwards to rack up damage and i gotta start doing that.

thats just two of my examples, curious what you would consider ur bad habits are with him also
Bad habits I notice from Mario is mainly fishing for kill moves like upsmash when you're at 110%, buffer rar bair out of disadvantage or out of shield, fishing for upair, etc. My bad habits are mostly mental wise but my bad habits with Mario is mainly doing predictable timing bairs.

Annoying

Smash Rookie

I tend to spam up tilt a lot with Mario. It allows people who I am playing against punish me for doing so. I usually just look for combos instead of focusing on neutral with Mario.

Top Bottom