• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Backthrow still strongest? (spoiler: yes it is)

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Before everyone says “no, it’s Incineroar” or spams the yeetsmash video (which, as a heads up for rookies, is a worthless video since the CPUs don’t DI, and it was from ledge which isn’t particularly useful in terms of practicality), here me out:

I had an Incineroar player tell me Ness’s back throw is still stronger overall because Incineroar’s backthrow can be DIed to live at percents Ness would kill. I’m not inclined to believe him, but my pride in my main makes me secretly hope it’s true XD

I won’t be able to test this for a while so I figured I’d ask here.

EDIT: In a surprise maneuver, I'm actually in a position to lab it out! It seems the Incineroar player was right, thus far, though not necessarily for the reason he gave. If you throw Mario from the starting position in the training room on FD, Mario dies at 112 with Ness and 122 with Incineroar. From center stage, Ness kills at 124ish and Incineroar kills at 153ish. Going across the entire stage, Ness kills at 148 while Incineroar doesn't even kill at 250 (I mean, forward throw kills waaay before that, but that's besides the point). Granted, this is all still without any DI, but I somehow doubt even the best DI in the world will negate the 24+% margin from center stage.

I am therefore concluding that Ness's back throw is indeed still the strongest in the game because, while it may not kill quite as early at ledge, it will kill at much lower percents from more realistic stage placements without needing to rely on landing a successful counter.

Now every time someone tries to tell you Incineroar/Doc/Shulk has a stronger backthrow, you can push up your glasses and tell them why they're wrong :p

EDIT (again): Found someone to test the DI theory with. It's true! Ness's backthrow kills 10% earlier than Incineroars from even the ledge with optimal DI. Ness mains rejoice, we can continue to claim the back throw throne!

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Can you give more specific DI angles so we can confirm your methods?
Science is done one replication study at a time.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Can you give more specific DI angles so we can confirm your methods?
Science is done one replication study at a time.
Assuming you throw them from the right ledge, I tried a 3 angles for each throw. Directly left, left and slightly up, and left and slightly down. It’s been a few weeks since then, so I don’t fully recall what DI was optimal on each throw, but Ness’s optimal DI was left and slightly up and Incineroars was just full left iirc. These angles only ever influenced it by 1%, but even that can still be significant in a match.

Also worth noting is that in a later test, I found that Shulk and Dr. Mario both killed earlier than Incineroar as well (at least, they do on ledge. I didn’t bother to do more testing with them at other points on stage)

Edit: I would post footage, but don’t have a way to capture any :/

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Even if Ness’s back throw isn’t necessarily the strongest in the game anymore it’s still probably the most feared which means something. At high percentages people will do anything to get out of a Ness grab and you can punish them for that. Plus no animation is more satisfying than the opponent rolling off your back in slow motion while sealing the last stock

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Even if Ness’s back throw isn’t necessarily the strongest in the game anymore it’s still probably the most feared which means something. At high percentages people will do anything to get out of a Ness grab and you can punish them for that. Plus no animation is more satisfying than the opponent rolling off your back in slow motion while sealing the last stock
I love the way Ness leaps in the air while pointing his fingers out, and how he looks super pissed off during the zoom in kills. It’s very satifying.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
I would post footage, but don’t have a way to capture any :/
Thankfully, Smash has it built-in now. Use the replay feature to render the replay as video. Then take it off the SD card and drop it into Youtube.
It will be 720p, but that is more than adequate for our purposes.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Thankfully, Smash has it built-in now. Use the replay feature to render the replay as video. Then take it off the SD card and drop it into Youtube.
It will be 720p, but that is more than adequate for our purposes.
I do know of that feature, but I don’t have an SD card nor a good reason to get one.

If anyone with an SD card wants to prove this once and for all, that would be cool. All you need is 10 minutes and 2 sideways joycon to test it out.

Top Bottom