• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Backpacker Slash wants to Battle!

Maniana

Smash Rookie
Hey my lovely brother, i hope you have a warm place for Chrismas and a good meal. Your Family think on you. when you have a place were you stay longer give the adress please.
love you and wish you a nice Chrismas

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Frohe weihnachten meine Lieben <3 Ich bin im Herzen mit euch.
I have my own little hut, and the wood oven is burning all day long, i am well fed and have a good book (Nele bought it for me, thanks honey!) All is fine.
I am still in Vinterbro, even tho i wanted to be somewhere else already. But raphael does not want to let me go :p In the next couple of days, it will turn out, if i still stay longer here, or get a new host. I send you a message then.
Merry christmas to you all.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Tomorrow im on my way to Nannestad. This time for sure. I wish you all a happy new Year.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you $lash! Sounds like you're doing well from your Christmas Eve update.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Sissils farm is a neat little place, working with the cows now and the phisical work is exactly what i needed. I enyoy my time here and i am back to my 75kg weight :D (bushra´s food is awesome!)
Mother would like this place and sissil alot i imagine. Next month the horse whisperer is wisiting norway and sissil invited me to see the demonstation with her together.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I am so glad, that i choose Norway for my winterquartier, everthing here looks like my Birthplace (Harz, germany), but as far, as my eyes can see. Only the black crows and ravens are missing. Everthing is so white, so calm (exept the airport :/). Using a sled to work :D
Funfact, in norway, people make no difference between fur (tanne) and spruce (fichte), they call both gran.
And Sissil got some really interesting books, like "Unto this Last", and atm reading "Mutual aid, a factor of evolution" and peer´s books "a stanger in the woods" and a book i recomment to everyone: "the shallows"
I work twice a day, 3h each and yet i still have more time reading now then when i had working for raphael.
I am starting to miss the uncairtain, the unknown each day.

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I stopped getting notifications about your posts here Slash! Glad to hear you are doing well!

Is it difficult working in the cold? I imagine it is unless its a very dry cold. Here on the East Coast of the US we generally have wetter, more humid winters.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
"Mudual Aid, a factor of evolution" Easely my new favorite book now!'

MalanoMan MalanoMan Well, even when its cold, like the day with -17drg, i still get hot from the work. Sure my Hair and my beard froze, but that was not a problem. So temperaturewise it was mostly easy going. I got sick once, because i was clothed too warm and was sweating while cold wind blew. I learned to just wear my t-shirt under the workingsuit to avoid swet.
I am truly a man from the North.

The Trees here are already free of snow, spring is comming. Gonna prepare my departure soon.

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
"Mudual Aid, a factor of evolution" Easely my new favorite book now!'

MalanoMan MalanoMan Well, even when its cold, like the day with -17drg, i still get hot from the work. Sure my Hair and my beard froze, but that was not a problem. So temperaturewise it was mostly easy going. I got sick once, because i was clothed too warm and was sweating while cold wind blew. I learned to just wear my t-shirt under the workingsuit to avoid swet.
I am truly a man from the North.

The Trees here are already free of snow, spring is comming. Gonna prepare my departure soon.
-17 Celsius right? -17 Fahrenheit is downright miserable. Good to hear that the temperature hasnt been too much of an issue for you!

Spring already huh? Sounds like climate change to me!

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I got some company! Nele, the WWOFer i met by my previous host, has now joined me here on sisils farm.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
So, the snow is about to melt away, sun is shining strong and temperatures approaching 10 grad C. Seems i´m on my way again very soon :D

Maniana

Smash Rookie
Hey mein Bruderherz, wie geht's dir? wie ist das Wetter bei dir? War vor kurzem im Allgäu auf einer Winter Tour und haben nachts im Zelt geschlafen, das war vielleicht eisig. Da musste ich an dich denken.
Hab dich Lieb! Meld dich mal wieder!

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Hey Slash, do you ever take any pictures on your travels? I would love to see some if you have any!

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Hey mein Bruderherz, wie geht's dir? wie ist das Wetter bei dir? War vor kurzem im Allgäu auf einer Winter Tour und haben nachts im Zelt geschlafen, das war vielleicht eisig. Da musste ich an dich denken.
Hab dich Lieb! Meld dich mal wieder!
Ich hoffe du hattest spass auf deiner Tour :D
Ich hab bisher noch keine einzige Nacht gefroren, der Schlafsack ist echt super (im winter jedenfalls).
Ich hab dich auch lieb, umarme alle ganz herzlich fuer mich!

I slept on top of a mountain in a forest nearby last weekend. Temperatures are easely manageble, but the snow there was still hip-high-deep.
I saw a Lot of elk tracks and even a wolftrack. Sadly just the tracks.
I´ll wait, till the snow is gone for easy travel and then i go probably west to the baltic and continiue the coast towards finland.

Hey Slash, do you ever take any pictures on your travels? I would love to see some if you have any!
No pic so far, but i did 2 drawings. And some guys i met took pics. maybe i get some of them some time.
1 i have recieved and can share:

Attachments

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
"Temps are easily manageable" and "snow was still hip-high-deep" should not be in the same sentence! LMAO I guess it must really be warming up and starting to melt all the snow.

Thanks for sharing that pic! I was hoping to see some of your sights you're seeing, but I can understand if you haven't taken many pictures. Luckily that guy was nice enough to send you that one!

Maniana

Smash Rookie
Sven hat mich gefragt, wo du denn steckst und das er dich an liebsten bei seinem 30 Geburtstag, dabei hätte. Vielleicht hast du ja die Möglichkeit ihn an seinem Geburtstag zu schreiben. Und du willst immer noch nicht zurück kommen?.
We are miss youuuuuuuuu. And were you happy on youre Trip?

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Ich werd´s versuchen.
Yes, i am still happy and want to continiue the trip just as planned. Perhaps i´ll be back at the end of this year.
Love you all!

$lash

Smash Apprentice
At the end of this week, I'll continue my travel, weather is nice enough to go in my summer clothes again. Next Saturday 13:00 o'clock, I celebrate the end of my winterpause with some Smash. Livestream: www.twitch.tv/smashnorge
Hype

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I am hitting the road today. My experience on sissils farm was awesome. I made some good friends and i will keep them in my heart.
Much love to everyone!

@ Maniana Maniana
Umarme rama gaaaaanz fest von mir und sage ihr, dass ich sie liebe. Meine besten wuensche aus ganzem herzen vortraeglich (werde wohl eine weile unterwegs sein, bevor ich wieder in einer bibliothek bin.)

Maniana

Smash Rookie
Huhu mein lieber Sie sagt vielen lieben Dank. Und weiterhin viel Spaß, pass auf dich auf! Your Family love you and miss you.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Reached Gjøvik today.
Feels good to be back on the walk :D
Maybe a little early, the weather is so unpredictable up here. Sunshine, then hail, then sun again, then a snowstorm. minus degrees in the night (manageble, not too cold), too hot in the sun at daytime. I was taking a sunbath right next to a snowpatch and when it got too warm, i was just rolling over into the snow :awesome:
But snow/hail is much better then rain, cause i dont need to use my rainsuit.

Last edited:

dxunion

Smash Rookie
Hey, Dude habe gerade ein Deck-Profil um einen fiesen Field Spell gesehen, noch krasser als Fire Prison(Cyberse Ding) und da musste ich an dich denken. It seems your trip is going well so far, i was glad to read that you got a nice place for a good part of the winter. With the wolf and elk tracks, missing the actual animal, i could probably feel your disapointment. If you somehow can get in range to draw a grazing elk would be awesome and i would love to see it.
Greetings from the Slave- World :ultpacman:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Hi Roman :D
Danke fuer die Gruesse.
I'm comfortable the further north i go, the likelier it will be to get closer to these wild animals. In the mountains surrounding Mjøsa i saw my first Raven!
He was flying upside-down while calling another raven. a mating ritual i believe.
In Sweden, right after i left stroemstad i saw an elk family passing the street about 1km before me ( 2 big ones, 1 small).
And 2 nights after i left Halden (norway) towards askim i heard a wolf howling in the night (could have been just a dog, but in askim ronny tenge confirmed there are wolfs in those forests). So there are there already, i just was not close yet.
Maybe i am just too noisy with my backpacks and also my pantbag klimpering around :(

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Reached Lillehammer!
the Mjøsa is sooo ****ing cold! Took a little swim today.
2 days of rain slowed me down alot and my sleeping bag got wet and parts of it were not filled anymore, so i had my first cold night inside my sleeping bag. Then my knife broke, while i was hammering on it with a stone to cut wood. fortunate the day after i found a new sleeping bag in the garbage just slightly under the temperature range of my old one. It was wet, but sleeping a night in it dried it up nicely. In that same place i also found a new knife, super duper sharp, much much better then the one i got from my old friend jorek, like 15 years ago. So all my knifes i had, that had sentimental valure are gone now :(
In fact, almost a year after i started this trip, the only thing i wear atm from the start are my shoes (wich need to be replaced aswell).
It is incredible what people throw away.
And now i have to decide, where to go next. I propably go to a farm very close to lillehammer, that tries to live as selfsustainable and natural as possible. A place i have to check out. Hopefully to gain useful knowlage for the future. And after that, mm
Going norway is so much nicer then sweden was, that i am uncertain. i could go all the way up to trondheim maybe. Walking the mountains.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Im back in Lillehammer. I checked the Stuksrudfarm.
Was a very nice place, seeing the field being plowed with a Horse, and the bike-powered washing machine.
I have decided my route to Umeå. Just that climb up to the Farm (almost on top of the mountain) showed me that it would be super hard to get to trondheim. I have to take it easy, my shoes will fall apart :D
And 1 mountain is awaiting me on the boarder crossing, Fulufjället!

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I´m in Brumunddal atm, moving rather slow. The weather was rainy and i did a dumpster dive into rema 1000 in Moelv and had too much food to carry, so i decided to spend 2 days of feasting :D

$lash

Smash Apprentice
So, Hamar is reached.
Time to leave the Mjøsa. This Lake has an impressive sice. I probably walked more on the shoreline then most people who live here (about 2/3rd of it).
I enjoyed this area. Here should be the oldest working steam boat in the world, cruising along it, but i never saw it. I will miss my water orientation :(

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I am in Løten atm.
Gonna go to Elverum tomorrow. Today i pay a visit to the Trashstation here today, looking for new Boots :)

And some Pictures of me and the eastside of the Mjøsa, after leaving Lillehammer. 1000 Takk to Kjersti. She showed me her Art Gallery and she is good! Also got some sweets, Wisky & Coffee, Ice cream and a fiew kroners. It was awesome to get to know her.
60739053_1236139666548587_1397418685504684032_n.jpg
61090437_592344491276435_5475444675122823168_n.jpg
61048888_353273401997309_2979126493466066944_n.jpg
61072749_2105350876244546_2576787250100568064_n.jpg
61099227_488025858605075_913076486255149056_n.jpg
1000 Takk to Kjersti. She showed me her Art Gallery and she is good! Also got some sweets, Wisky & Coffee, Ice cream and a fiew kroners. It was awesome to get to know her.

Attachments

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Elverum is reached. I spended like a week in Breneroria, 3 days looking for boots in the trash station got me like 400 kroners of pant, a Gameboy Advance + crash bandicoot tycoon & looney toons. I finished those games (battery was doing it!) and had read the witches of eastwick (the movie doesnt stick to the book at all). But no boots in size 47. Seems the people in Norway have pretty small shoesizes :(

And i completly forgot to mention, that i got to dedust my controller in Hamar! Played some good rounds of melee with 3 other smashers in Hamar (Bremen>Hamer) and even got to try smash Ultimate (better then S4, but Melee is best).

I would say, i found a title song for my "little" backpacktrip :D

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Finally in Trysil. I met some awesome guys in Elverum and was Robins guest for about 2 weeks. He gifted me a new phone so i can make some pictures now and also use wlan (like im doing now). And the road from elverum to trysil was almost free of civilisation and my proviant was almost entirely empty. Shrooms and rivers and 2 good People kept me alive tho.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I am in Idre right now.
I went into a Restaurant in Gördalen to exchange money (and get a meal :)). The owner lives in Idre, and i took the ride with him.
Was a hard decision to skip the fulufjället, but as i went from trysil to Gördalen i went in 1 valley to early, so i had a Mountain between me and Sweden.

So i went right up that mountain (no paths at all) just straight east the compass and after the hard climb up to the top was a balance test of a rockfield waiting for me and then came up the first dangerus situation i was in (after over 1 Year away from home!).

On top was a vulcanolike crater with a swamp in it.

I Really don't know where my stubbornness comes from.
Mama, i´m afraid to tell you that you actually raised an insane boy. I never questioned my sanity, till this day.

When i walked into that swamp (not knowing that it actually was one) i first got wet feets, then sunk till my ankle and then suddenly my legs were completly submerged. I struggled to get free and when i did i didn´t return, like a sane person would, but crawled on all 4, to not sink so deep (used that stategy in Nannestad to not sink into the snow), onwards, deeper and finally over the swamp while throwing my ca. 6kg frontbag 1-handed meter by meter and crawling in that ice cold water, arms and legs submerged, but most of my stuff actually kept dry(!). It was just about 100-200 meters, but it was extremly power-draining after i was already exhausted from the climb-up and the rockfield.

I left a bag with some flatbread in that swamp, a small sacrifice, but some pollution in that untouched landscape.
I camped when i reached the steep side down towards the valley. So my Hunger for mountains was pretty satisfied when i reached Gördalen.
Thats why i skipped the Fulufjället, even tho i missed the highest Waterfall swedens and one of the oldest trees in the world (old Tjikko).

Well, on my way to Lofsdalen now.

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
The pics i took

Attachments

Maniana

Smash Rookie
Hey mein Lieber,
ich bin froh das Joschy das nicht lesen kann und Mama erzähle ich mal lieber auch nichts von deinen Sumpf Abenteuer:crying:...….gut das du noch am Leben bist und pass ja auf dich auf.
Update der Familie: Ramona zieht zu ihren Freund nach Detmold, also wer weiß vielleicht werden wir ja bald Tante und Onkel. Mama hat ein neues Auto, was ich ihr gekauft habe :p
Joschy ist Joschy. :D
Ich bin ja mal gespannt was dir noch so passiert und ich hoffe du kommst gut über die Runden. Liebe Grüße^^ Hab dich Lieb

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Ich sitze gerade in dem lokal trapper in Lofsdalen und genieße eine gute Mahlzeit gesponsert vom boss. Onkel Janosch klingt toll :D

When the sunset goes fluently into the sunrise without darkness at night and Rendeers crossing your path everywhere, then you know you are in the north. Met an angel in Idre. She provided me strong thread and needles to stitch up my shoes and giftet me 260 kr worth of pant.

From Idre to Lofsdalen was Mountains everywhere, gonna have to love those streets :D
The Mountains here are supposed to be full of bears, but i only encauntered a bunch of Rendeers.

Still meeting good people all over the place. Svedens pant is already getting annoying again, tons of pant and a very low densety of supermarkets. I accumolated so much, barely able to carry it.

Going sveg now and i do hope that the steets are going to be level from now on.

Attachments

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Reached Sveg yesterday.
Streets where more or less level with a tendency downwards. Not bad. But the further away from the Mountains i go, the dirtier the rivers and lakes get. I dont feel comfortable anymore drinking out of those without waterfilter. That does not mean, i wont cool down in them tho :D
Its so freaking hot that i am very glad to find lakes all around to take swims. And the mosquitoes are so many and so damn persistent, that i always have difficoulty do decide what i wear. ether my summer outfit to cool, or my rain outfit to keep the mosquitoes away. i often switch between them, whenever i cant stand the heat or the mosquitoes anymore.
And this time (unlike last year) i actually get to eat all the precious food the forest has to offer. Blueberries en masse and i will try to eat as many of them, as i had blackberries last year (kilos upon kilos), and the forest strawberrys are so tasteful, like eating pure strawberry aroma. And the russulas mushrooms growing alot this time around (my new favorite shroom, has a nutty flavor and colors my makkaroners pink :D)

The entirety from Norway's border till here (Sveg) is so thinly populated, that i never needed to build up my tent, cause there was a roof available every night.
But its so hot since i left the mountains, even at night, that i slept mostly naked on top of my sleeping bag, till i decided to sleep as close to the water as possible, cause its notacably cooler, but the song of the mosquitoes is also the loudest and never ending. But its ok, im safe in my tent :awesome:

I also "created" my new favorite tobacco blend, i call it Prince johns silver level (a mix between john-silver, prince and level).

Attachments

Maniana

Smash Rookie
Hey, ich bin sehr froh das du genug zu essen hast.^^ Der Fisch sieht ja Wahnsinn aus den du fotografiert hast. Und Rauch nicht zu viel. Hab dich Lieb!

Top Bottom