• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Backpacker Slash wants to Battle!

$lash

Smash Apprentice

Bagpacker Slash wants to battle

Hello, i´m Slash, Bremen's best Smasher, Marthmain, and i´m going on a Backpack-Trip from Germany around the Baltic Sea (include the Gulf of Bothnia).

City's i may visit:

Germany:
Bremerhaven - Reached
Cuxhaven - Reached
Flensburg - Reached

Denmark:
Kolding - Reached
Snoghøj -Reached
Middelfart - Reached
Odense - Reached
Svendborg - Reached
Rudkøbing - Reached
Harpelunde - Reached
København -Reached
Helsingør - Reached

Sweden:
Helsingborg - Reached
Halmstad -Reached
Falkenberg - Reached
Varberg - Reached
Kungsbacka - Reached
Gothenburg - Reached
Uddevalla - Reached
Munkedal - Reached
Håby - Reached
Tanumshede - Reached
Strömstad - Reached

Norway:
Halden - Reached
Rakkestad- Reached
Askim- Reached
Ski - Reached
Oslo - Reached
Gjøvik - Reached
Lillehammer- Reached
Brøttum - Reached
Moelv - Reached
Brumunddal - Reached
Hamar - Reached
Brenneriroa - Reached
Elverum - Reached
Nybergsund - Reached
Trysil - Reached
Drevdalen - Reached​

Sweden:
Gördalen - Reached
Fulufjället National Park - Skipped :/
Mörkret
Särna

Idre - Reached
Foskros - Reached
Slagavallen - Reached
Lofsdalen - Reached
Linsell - Reached
Sveg - Reached
Ytterhogdal - Reached
Ånge - Reached
Stöde - Reached
Matfros - Reached
Sundsvall
älandsbro
Mörtsal
Torrum
Gallsätter
Ullånger
Örnsköldsvik
Husum
Nordmaling
Sörmjöle
Umeå

Finland
Vaasa
Kurikka
Parkano
Tampere
Hämeenlinna
Hyvinkää
Helsinki
Lahti
Kouvola
Lappeenranta

Russia:
Vyborg
Tolokonnikovo
Pervomayskoye
St Petersburg
Begunitsy

Estonia:
Narva
Tamsalu
Paide
Pärnu

Latvia:
Riga
Jelgava
Eleja

Lithuania
Joniškis
Šiauliai
Kelmė
Katauskiai
Lenkeliai
Padubysys
Kaunas
Marijampolė

Poland:
Suwalki
Ostroleka
Warsaw
Częstochowa
Katowice

Czechia:
Ostrava
Studénka
Jeseník nad Odrou
Jankovice
Napajedla
Břeclav

Austria:
Vienna
Linz

Germany:
Passau
Regensburg
Nuremberg
Suhl
Eisenach
Göttingen
Einbeck
Alfeld
Gronau
Hannover

Since i´m going on foot with a small amount of money, my travel speed will be really slow. This will be a NO-Phone trip, so the only way i can be contacted is via this thread (i try to check and update anytime i reach a City). My Route is by no means exact or fixed, and i cannot say i´ll cross all those City's. I might even adapt my route depending on Smashers. If your City or town is in between or nearby i can stop by.

My visits would be rather spontaneous, since i won´t be able to tell when i will be where. so leave your address and a general time window and/or day of the week where i would be welcomed. Via PM or in this thread. Housing for a day or two, a shower and washing machine, or a good meal would be greatly appreciated :D

Start of my travel will be today!

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday i reached Bremerhaven. The Weser route was pretty.
I move faster then expected, only 1 little bladder on my foot and my knees hurt slightly (pain goes away after a night of sleep).
I dont know about any smasher here, so tomorrow i move on to Cuxhaven :)

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday i reached Cuxhaven. Water all the way, swiming in the ocean, showers for free, sweet.
My knee pain is gone for good, seems they got used to the weight. 1 bladder more tho.
Bad News, the ferry from here is out of order, and the first station I can cross the elbe is glücksstadt (witch is around half way down to Hamburg)
I try to find someone privat with a ship who can cross me over the Elbe. If that doesn't work, i have to go a lot more.

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I am on a ship to Flensburg! I Met a wonderful Couple. Such Speed much epic. We arrive tomorrow

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Next mile-stone is reached, i am in Kolding now!
Sadly no use of my controller yet :/
Denmark is pretty hilly and the pant system is not really profitable. But i´m getting arround and the people are mostly willing to help.
I enjoy my trip more and more :ness:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I would offer to help if I lived in those areas, but unfortunately I don't. Keep living the dream!

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Reached Middelfart yesterday. First time i did not sleep that well, cause the shelters where full of people, ships and trains through the night.
Denmark is an amazing place, free internet in the libarys, free Nature Shelter places (some times even with WC´s) and the landscapes are beautiful.
Moving on towards Odense today :D

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I´m in Rudkøbing now. gonna spend the night here and then taking the ferry tomorrow. I spended 3 days in Odense, working and made some money (to afford the ferrys). Im still on the Track :D
God is watching over me, everthing (exept the smash-thing) is working out so perfectly.
Guys, make some advertising for me, i´m still carry that GCC for nothing!

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I am in København now. I cheated and broke the no car rule again, because the nice guy responsable for the Shelter in Killerupvej 23, Kastrup (amazing Shelter!) was driving to København anyway, so i took the hike :awesome: . that 1h cardrive would be another week of walking.
Today im going towards Helsingør.
My Trip through Denmark is almost over, and i loved every single day so far!
Walking Denmark is an amazing experience!

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Im in Ängelhom now.
Pant here is even less rewarding then in Denmark :/
For 1kg rice i need to collect bottles/tins
4 in Germany
8 in Denmark
20(!) in Sweden

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I´m in Båstad right now, gonna probably make it to Halmstad by tomorrow night.
I hope i get some sunshine, my shoes and socks need to dry. Rain all day, since i reached sweden.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I´m in Halmstad now.
Finally some sweet sweet sunshine, everything dried up :D
Little summery about sweden:
So far, the landscape is as pretty as expected or even prettier, Librarys are still free and i can wild camp almost everywhere (but i tend to lookout for hidipaces anyway).
But the people do not meet my expectation.
No one was mean or anything, but:
No "welcome to sweden", less then half of the peeps greet back (i tend to greed everyone i meet on the road) and they look at me more like i´m a ciminal then an alien or try to not look at all (or when they think i dont see them xD). first time here where bikers not stoped for me, when i want to ask questions.
I told my story only 3 times so far. Seems the Swedes are even deeper connected to the Matrix then the Germans, and they seem to care mostly for themself. And speaking english is not as common here as i thought. All in all, pretty disappointed :/
Of cause, there where some nice swedes aswell, but not that much.
But i´m still in good mood, and it might be unfair to compare, comming from a place where people are as amazing as the Danske.
And the Mushrooms are HUGE!

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Wow, walked over 500km in about 2 month :D
now via kattegattleden to Gothenburg!

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I´m in Halmstad now.
"Seems the Swedes are even deeper connected to the Matrix then the Germans, and they seem to care mostly for themself. And speaking english is not as common here as i thought."
And the Mushrooms are HUGE!
I always had this assumption that both were friendly too. Surprising to hear. Maybe they think you're homeless or a vagabond. Technically that's true now. I follow a guy on Instagram called TheWorldWalk. He doesn't seem to have too many issues with people. Hopefully you find some friendly folks out there though.

Are you documenting your journey anywhere else but this thread? I would love to learn more about your journey!

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Reached Varberg! The Coastline in Falkenberg was too pretty to leave and check the Libery :p
Switched my main energy source from rice to noodles and oats, cause its cheaper. Food is most expensive here so far and people telling me it will be even more so, when i reach Norway. But i still live a luxury life, smoking, drinking coffee with milk and sugar, and find some sweets and meat every now and then.
at MalanoMan: I´m gonna write a Book about my journey. German title: "Oh, wie schön das Leben ist"/ english Title "Life is beautiful"Just this threat and my handnotes for now. As stated, nobody was really unfrendly and i have met some supportive swedes aswell, like free meals in restaurants, some money, and the greet-back-count is starting to get positive :D
Oh, and yesterday the first swede came up and asked me about my journey! long live curiosity.

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I´m in Kungsbacka now.
Here was a heavy storm going on that forced me to stay in Bua for 3 days. There i met my greatest swedish supporter yet and the first awakened Swede!
I had my second bath and washing machine since i started my trip.
Those 3 days beeing caved in a house i had some time to think about my trip. i Wrote down some stats:
Nights spended: 10 in a shelter, 9 in a house (3 of them were abandoned places), rest in my Tent
7 Campfires made, wich melted my trangia camping cooker (still working tho)
28 Supporters met: 6 in DE, 11 in DM, 11 in SE / Love you guys!
Got drunk ~10 times, got Stoned~13 times

Yesterday was the first frost going on, so i have to look for the sheeps now :colorful:

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I´m in Gothenburg! Kattegattleden is done.
I know now, that my equipment weights over 35 kg´s! :O
And i Know now, that psychadelic shrooms dont have any effeckt on me :/
On to Oslo now!

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
i´m in Munkedal right now, passed Uddevalla via car from Stenungsund. First no swede at all stopping for me, and now 3 cars since stenungsund, asking if i want to have a hike. And i took them all :D

Maniana

Smash Rookie
Hey my lovely Brother. I sitting here with Mother and wish your a very good Birthday.^^ I hope your Travel is good and make your fun. We love you

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Thank you my dears! Yes, i still enjoy my time very much! Had a good birthday, got a full home made warm meal, 9 eggs, some bread, some very good scotch to drink and even a warning vest (very useful) as my birthday present. TAK Magnus, Maria and Erik!. I slept over by a nice couple somewhere after Munkedal and got a shower and a washingmachine, lots of grapes and very interesting conversations, TAK Peter & Laila! And i got to weight me and my Equipment exactly this time. I weight 69(!)kg now (with clothes), wich means i probably gained weight! Still no fat tho :D And my Backpacks weight was 31kg´s (without the 2,5 kg water).
I am in Strömstad now and gonna continue to Halden today. My 4th Country is Close now! Gonna climb up over 1km to get to Oslo :O Mountains, here i come!

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Happy belated birthday Slash! Good to hear you had an excellent meal and very good scotch. I will tell my friends of your travels and we will have a toast in your name tonight!

Very funny how you count the # of times you got stoned and drunk. :^) How many nights did you spend in your tent exactly and how were you able to find places to set up your tent?

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Sweden was walked!
Reached Halden yesterday. Gonna have to say, it`s the prettiest City i have seen so far!
Finding a place to setup my tent: when my feets get tired, or when the sun sets i just look for the nextbest green patch of grass or forest and sleep there :p (in sweden/norway), even behind a Supermarket, if i have to (happend 3 times). Yesterday the park here in Halden was too busy to sleep, since my tent is too small to fit me and my backpacks in there (weights just 1.25kgs!), so i ask someone for a better place and he directed my onto Berg (little mountain with stonehench like structure on top, with a good view over the city and on the castle). Have to draw the view from berg today.
That was my 77th day in my Tent! Slept 2 days outside just in my sleepingbag, abandoned places increased to 7, 1 night in the gardenhouse of Peter & Laila

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Reached Rakkestad Yesterday.
I saw elks! (and probably eating it since the day before yesterday, tasting deerlike, but stronger)
Slept in front of a nice guys house, had some cigarres, 2 beer and a good talk till late at night. And he informed me about the Tourist huts here, so im gonna look out for those.
AAAAND... living in Norway actually CHEAPER, if you take PANT to FOOD ratio into account and buy just the most basic Food.
Example: I cashed in Pant twice, from Svinesund to Halden and from there to Degernes and got 288 Krones. Pant is worth almost twice as much.
3min makkaroni increased from 11 SEK to 14 NOK/kg , RØDSPRIT from 40 SEK to 50 NOK/l, and Oats is pretty expensive, but Muesli 15 NOK/kg is cheaper somehow.
Norway is so ****ing beautiful i tell you, especially in autumn, but it makes spotting shrooms harder.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I´m in Askim now. The day of the week is mattering again, no open Supermarkets on Sunday :O (unlike Denmark/Sweden)
Sleeping in the Forest is so much nicer when its cold and the Bloodsuckers are gone (Moskitos/ticks).
Along the Kattegattleden (westcoast of Sweden) those damn moskitos where there all the time, even in the middle of the day in hot sunshine.

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I get more food for the pant i collect.
I am in Vinterbro atm, working. Perhaps, maybe, i already found my place for the Winter.
My Body is not used to sit in front of a PC all day anymore :facepalm:

Last edited:

$lash

Smash Apprentice
Welp, i can stay till end of the month, then i am on the move again.
Gonna have to find a new place for the Winter. Its probably for the better anyway. I am working as a WWOFer (World Wide Organic Farming) atm, was expecting to chop wood and farming, but instead of learning to grow food, i learned Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Wordpress in a week.
Working for Raphael is more effective then any crash course haha

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
"crash curse" (course) THAT SOUNDS LIKE A BLESSING MY DUDE!

$lash

Smash Apprentice
The point is, i actually want to learn to grow food and use my body to work. i can already feel my freshly gained muscles shrinking.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Thats awesome to hear. Ill have to look into working for WWOF if Im traveling and need money.

$lash

Smash Apprentice
WWOF is not the right adress, when you look for money, just housing and food.
Even tho the other wwofers here told me, its pretty common that you get a little pocket money (1000nok) per month in norway. Not here tho :p

$lash

Smash Apprentice
I stay here in vinterbro till 12th december, then im gonna go to Nannestad, to a community shared agriculture, where i probably stay till spring, before i continiue walking towards finland.

There i will finally work in the fields instead of the PC :D

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Long winter in Nannestad! Hopefully its not too cold.......but I know its gunna be cold, so bundle up, friend!

Top Bottom