• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B-Reversing Thunder

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I have spent a few hour in training mode testing the applications of reversing many B moves (Notably the different reflectors). Among these, Pikachu's reversed (Wavebounce?) Thunder seems to be among the most useful, allowing you to thunder edgeguard from the safety of the stage. (You tend to die horribly by doing offstage thunders).

The thing is... Compared to other B moves, this one appears much trickier to execute. Reversing Skull bash or Jolt is almost impossible to mess up but when using thunder, more often than not, Pikachu turns around midair while keeping normal momentum while he thunders (And dying). I believe doing it as fast as possible nets that result... Or maybe it's some input thing? What am I doing wrong?

What's the mechanical explanation for B-reversing momentum and how can I execute it consistently with Pikachu? (hardest I think). I used to believe you just had to press the opposite direction within frame of pressing B...

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Best way I've found is to not slide the stick from down to back, but rather to tap down, return to neutral, then tap back.
I don't think returning to neutral is a required input, but it delays pressing back enough that I have the right timing.
Don't really know how it works, though.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm decent at this kind of stuff, do u want a video of my hands

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Best way I've found is to not slide the stick from down to back, but rather to tap down, return to neutral, then tap back.
I don't think returning to neutral is a required input, but it delays pressing back enough that I have the right timing.
I fund this kinda worked for me a bit... But it's also unreliable since the arbitrary wait makes your window shorter!

And a video would be lovely if it explains all the inputs and stuff perfectly in super slowmo!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I slide the stick from down to back. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

210stuna

Smash Lord
It's not as bad as trying to be cool with Falcon by doing a reverse Falcon Punch near the edge by executing the reverse off stage so you can then turn around and punch them, because if you don't reverse then you Falcon Punch to your death afterwards </3

messiah

Smash Rookie
The best way I found to do it was to just circle the thumb stick. Thunder can be used with the thumbstick down diagonal left/right. So if you want to wavebounce from right to left, start with the thumbstick all the way to the right and start circling down and to the left. When you get to diagonal right, press B, and finish your thumbstick's circle to the left side. If you circle fast enough (which isn't hard at all) you'll have your wavebounce down.

This works for me 90% of the time.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I've found the secret, you press down-b, then the opposite direction within 3 frames. Is 15/15 tries consistent enough of an attempt for me to try and make?

monkokaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
monkokaio
3DS FC
4468-1090-0122
I have a much easier time b reversing thunder from the right than I do from the left. It's to the point now where I think it may just be a controller issue. My z button stopped working a while ago, I've had this controller for over a decade :(

SpiderMad

Smash Master
How do you turn on youtube HTML? o.o I want to see the vids on here, not click links : O
? The youtube HTML was the link that makes youtube videos have the speed select option
Here's an embed video on it, to do Pika's thunder you just down-b then slide the control stick the other direction ur facing quickly

GeZ

Smash Lord
Whenever people ask about any of the momentum affecting b move tech for P:M I link that video. Seriously one of the most handy things. My only problem is wavebounceing neutral b's like bacon. ****'s hard.

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Despite being a heavy B-reverse user I had endless trouble with this particular one, constantly getting the thing where Pikachu turns around during the thunder but doesn't reverse his momentum. In the end I found that it helps to do it slower than a normal B-reverse. After pressing Down + B, slowly and purposefully quarter-circle the stick from down to left/right. Don't snap it round super quick. It seems to be when you do it too quickly that you get the turn around but no momentum reverse.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I'm pretty fast at doing that but can land sometimes so tips?

Top Bottom