• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B-reversed Nair / Nayrus cancelling

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
EDIT: Deconfirmed ;_____; Karma mentions below, this is sometimes known as an invisible Nayrus, which I mistook for a Nair. Sometimes the game doesn't know how to display stuff when a lot is going on, and so all that happened was the game didn't load the blue crystal graphic. A more common case that may be more familiar to everyone is invisible shields in debug, which is also exemplified in the second gif in the spoiler. More than likely to be the same thing.

(gfycat 1) -- no hitboxes
(gfycat 2) -- hitboxes (and glitched debug camera lock :/ oh well)

I had intended to input a B-reversed Nayrus. That's what the hitboxes appear to be (not sure), and that's what sound effect came out. Uploading a second gif with debug hitboxes turned on, but those are known to have inaccuracies and that seems to be the case here. I don't think any Nair sound effect was audible. This was performed in Dolphin with the SD Netplay build; mechanics should all be 1:1 with vanilla 3.6, but I figured it was still worth noting.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Will look into this further, but the first thing I see is the "Manual detonation" animation IMMEDIATELY before the nair. Could it somehow be possible that you did a b-reverse (or wavebounce or whatever) Din's Recall, then cancelled it with nair??

Karmaic Avidity

Smash Cadet
So, what you ended up doing exists in both Brawl and Melee. I call it invisible Nayru's, because that's literally what happens with it. Something before your Nayru's makes the particle (the blue diamond and the shards) invisible, but the rest of it (the sparkles on her hands, which both of us mistook for nair at first) stays there. There aren't any sparkles in Melee when it happens, so it's literally invisible hitboxes.

If you look at your hitboxes gif, you can see that once you shield Link's usmash, the hitboxes become wonky. I believe that that shield is the trigger for this. I have no idea why, but it's the only explanation I have. Once you shield, there is no more bubble, and when you bair, there is only one visible hitbox, and when you Nayru's, those hitboxes are also distorted. I'm sure this occurs because PM's debug code doesn't know how to display this stuff. Also happens with Sheik's chain jacket, and Olimar's bauble.

You may not have found a tech, but you did encounter something pretty neat and rare. Looks cool as ****, but this for sure does not have any uses, or a way to reliably reproduce it without debug mode and frame-by-frame advance.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
If you look at your hitboxes gif, you can see that once you shield Link's usmash, the hitboxes become wonky. I believe that that shield is the trigger for this. I have no idea why, but it's the only explanation I have. Once you shield, there is no more bubble, and when you bair, there is only one visible hitbox, and when you Nayru's, those hitboxes are also distorted. I'm sure this occurs because PM's debug code doesn't know how to display this stuff. Also happens with Sheik's chain jacket, and Olimar's bauble.
I don't think I was in debug mode in the first gif, but you can see that I enabled the SCD at some point, so debug might be screwing around with things.

iirc debug mode inconsistently shows that invisible shield when something is power shielded, but I've never seen it with debug mode not activated. It could be contributing, but I'm willing to bet that the invisible shield (glitchy debug) is a separate issue if you've seen this in Melee and Brawl too. Are there other vids of invisible nayrus in Melee/Brawl/PM?

EDIT: Whatever it is, it happens consistently in the replay. (unlike invisible shields which are shown inconsistently in most cases). Should note that I had up/down on my D-pad set to attack, and left/right set to shield. This is both for mashouts, and because I have a weird mis-input habit - sometimes rub my thumb against the D-pad and get taunts when moving control stick to a side. Hasn't happened in a while for me so I doubt it, but sharing in case I did and it contributed somehow lol.

EDIT2: jk about consistently happening in replay

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
I believe the game is too busy loading another article's graphic on the same frame to bother. Must've either exploded or started the Dins shimmer on the same frame as the Nayru needed to load?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I like the movement Echo, keep it up.
;_____; this failure hurt me deep dude, I was so hyped. Imagine being able to cancel B-reversed nayrus into aerials. The stuff of dreams.

EDIT: WhiteCrow WhiteCrow oh. By "movement" I thought you meant my premature hype and initiative if this had been real lol. Thanks fam

Last edited:
Top Bottom