• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B&B! Zero Suit General Discussion

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
You guys realize that giving ZSS a normal grab wasn't to make her OOS game better, it was to make other characters' ability to tank all her stuff in shield worse, right?

Also Dive Kick got buffed. The ability to jump cancel out of an active hitbox was a design problem that was adjusted in the same vein as a lot of other 3.5 changes. We only removed the ability to be sloppy with it and get big dividends, but the core usage is still there.

Foo

Smash Lord
ZSS doesn't have any particular catch-all oos option, but if you're using your shield properly, you can cover most angles if you pick the right tool. There's uair, nair, bair, dair, usmash, wd, roll, spot dodge, Plasma wire, empty sh... The list goes on. None of them are great, but they all have uses.

Fwiw, Link players never complain about having a terrible shield game. To this day, I cannot fathom why ZSS players continue to do so.
Wait, since when does link have terrible out of shield options? He has a great up-b oos that hits all around him and can kill easily, and a sex kick out of shield. His grab isn't the best, but it's probably the best oos tether grab next to maybe lucas.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Also Dive Kick got buffed. The ability to jump cancel out of an active hitbox was a design problem that was adjusted in the same vein as a lot of other 3.5 changes. We only removed the ability to be sloppy with it and get big dividends, but the core usage is still there.
Since when is a fix that tones a move down a buff? Maybe to the dev team a move that now works as intended could be seen as "buffed" lol, but to players of the character dive kick was in no way, shape, or form, buffed.

Foo

Smash Lord
Since when is a fix that tones a move down a buff? Maybe to the dev team a move that now works as intended could be seen as "buffed" lol, but to players of the character dive kick was in no way, shape, or form, buffed.
It was given a sweetspot with higher kbg I think.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You guys realize that giving ZSS a normal grab wasn't to make her OOS game better, it was to make other characters' ability to tank all her stuff in shield worse, right?
I've already had this discussion with you multiple times, and you can watch it play out in the DJ Nintendo vs. Frozen match; This change does nothing to help with that, because now the range, where grab is a threat, is so far out of the range, where everything else she has is a threat, that just leaving the range, where everything else is good, and which is natural to ZSS, shouts to the heavens, "I want to try to grab you!" Go watch that match, and observe that Frozen almost never gets a grab in neutral, because DJ usually avoids it, and sometimes even hard counters it. I haven't counted, but I'd not be surprised to see more successful oos grab attempts than grab attempts in neutral. The most successes are just conversions of solid hitconfirms.

Wait, since when does link have terrible out of shield options? He has a great up-b oos that hits all around him and can kill easily, and a sex kick out of shield. His grab isn't the best, but it's probably the best oos tether grab next to maybe lucas.
Spin Attack loses hard to full jumps, is easy to stuff because it has no invincibility, and can be blocked such that the entire rest of the hitbox is nullified. The sex kick is nice, but still pretty easy to bait and punish. Link is, overall, very similar to ZSS, in that he has nothing that's exceptionally strong (compare to Melee Shine oos, or Screw Attack, or Whirling Fortress), but he can cover just about anything with his toolkit--he just has to get a good read and reaction to what his opponent chooses to do.

Foo

Smash Lord
Spin Attack loses hard to full jumps, is easy to stuff because it has no invincibility, and can be blocked such that the entire rest of the hitbox is nullified. The sex kick is nice, but still pretty easy to bait and punish. Link is, overall, very similar to ZSS, in that he has nothing that's exceptionally strong (compare to Melee Shine oos, or Screw Attack, or Whirling Fortress), but he can cover just about anything with his toolkit--he just has to get a good read and reaction to what his opponent chooses to do.
I'm not saying Link's OOS are as god tier as bowser, samus or melee fox, just that they are above average. I'd say Link has much better oos options than ZSS. Maybe falcon would have been a better example. He reall does have pretty bad oos, but noone complains about it

Last edited:

Player-3

Smash Hero
links oos options r very bad

if his jump squat wasnt like 25 frames his nair would matter

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
links oos options r very bad

if his jump squat wasnt like 25 frames his nair would matter
Is 5 frame jumpsquat really that bad? I mean, every frame counts but it's one frame longer than ZSS. If everyone agrees, I guess I'll just take your word for it since I've never really played link. *shrugs*

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
While it makes her responses to a shielding opponent easier, I'm not sure it makes her on-shield gameplan better.

ZSS always had options to deal with opponents sitting in shield. Dair and dsmash have had their risk (rightly) adjusted to better suit their rewards, but you're still talking about a character with a wealth of mixups on shield. Her shield pressure involved a variety of options with varying coverage, risk, and reward. That's a really healthy and engaging design, and her old high risk/high reward grab (particularly pivot grab) was a significant part of that even when used sparingly. The new grab makes her responses to shield more braindead without making them more rewarding (arguably less rewarding, but that's a problem with both the grab and the throws), and the opponent still has the same basic responses. All it did was dumb things down, which runs counter to the PMDT's stated goal of adding "rich, technical gameplay".

If I really wanted to buff that part of her gameplay, I'd probably just make a tilt (likely ftilt) safer on shield and adjust bkb/kbg as needed to avoid it being super dumb in other areas. Gives her a fast, low risk/low reward option that builds on what she had rather than pulling the rug out from under everything. Dunno that I'd say she really needs it though... And it wouldn't help that much, but her tilts are pretty bad on block and it does leave a certain hole in her timing. It just happens to not matter too much because of how the rest of her kit lays out and how the opponent wants to respond to those things.

As far as just shielding anything she threw out in neutral... yeah, I guess? It's about the same as saying Falcon sucks versus shields really, insofar as neither one ****s on an opponent's shield the way spacies, Lucas, etc can. She covers certain things better or worse but that's about it. The new grab didn't really change that, it just changed her coverage slightly and the opponent's options are reweighted in a more typical fashion to follow suit. To be honest the old grab was arguably better for this in the context of her kit as a whole.

This is totally random but I have to ask since i have no visibility of the ZSS boards--

How is Numerics perceived in this here parts?
Needs more divekicks. :p

Last edited:

Player-3

Smash Hero
While it makes her responses to a shielding opponent easier, I'm not sure it makes her on-shield gameplan better.

ZSS always had options to deal with opponents sitting in shield. Dair and dsmash have had their risk (rightly) adjusted to better suit their rewards, but you're still talking about a character with a wealth of mixups on shield. Her shield pressure involved a variety of options with varying coverage, risk, and reward. That's a really healthy and engaging design, and her old high risk/high reward grab (particularly pivot grab) was a significant part of that even when used sparingly. The new grab makes her responses to shield more braindead without making them more rewarding (arguably less rewarding, but that's a problem with both the grab and the throws), and the opponent still has the same basic responses. All it did was dumb things down, which runs counter to the PMDT's stated goal of adding "rich, technical gameplay".

If I really wanted to buff that part of her gameplay, I'd probably just make a tilt (likely ftilt) safer on shield and adjust bkb/kbg as needed to avoid it being super dumb in other areas. Gives her a fast, low risk/low reward option that builds on what she had rather than pulling the rug out from under everything. Dunno that I'd say she really needs it though... And it wouldn't help that much, but her tilts are pretty bad on block and it does leave a certain hole in her timing. It just happens to not matter too much because of how the rest of her kit lays out and how the opponent wants to respond to those things.

As far as just shielding anything she threw out in neutral... yeah, I guess? It's about the same as saying Falcon sucks versus shields really, insofar as neither one ****s on an opponent's shield the way spacies, Lucas, etc can. She covers certain things better or worse but that's about it. The new grab didn't really change that, it just changed her coverage slightly and the opponent's options are reweighted in a more typical fashion to follow suit. To be honest the old grab was arguably better for this in the context of her kit as a whole.

Needs more divekicks.
This is how i feel exactly but worded more eloquently than i could ever manage

Including divekicks

Last edited:

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
*snip* ... The new grab makes her responses to shield more braindead without making them more rewarding (arguably less rewarding, but that's a problem with both the grab and the throws), and the opponent still has the same basic responses. All it did was dumb things down, which runs counter to the PMDT's stated goal of adding "rich, technical gameplay".
It made it more normative, which maybe feels like dumbing it down because it's more familiar. However, necessitating a lot of really hard work for not a lot of payoff doesn't make for rich gameplay IMO. I won't disagree with you that we might have gone overboard on the throw tweaks, but leaving them exactly how they were in 3.02 simply wasn't an option.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
It made it more normative, which maybe feels like dumbing it down because it's more familiar.
That's your takeaway from my post? No, that's not it at all. You're not giving me nearly enough credit if you really think I'm arguing by feels here, and I don't see why you're assuming I'm any more or less familiar with one type of grab or the other. I do have a preference for her old style, but there are objective arguments to be made and I intend to focus on them.

ZSS's decision tree on shield utilized a variety of moves. Grab, bair, paralyzer, dsmash, jab, and fair represent the core of that option set, but not its entirety.

-Grab is the option that means they can't just sit in shield. It's not meant for frequent use, just frequent enough use to make them wary of staying in shield. This is all it really needed to do - forcing them to respond in a desirable manner still yields an advantage.
-Bair is relatively safe with scaling reward based on enemy damage. Bair vs pivot grab is a solid mixup.
-Paralyzer at a slight distance forced options, but not in a way that left the opponent without ways to deal with it or with any potential followups. This generally leads to a retreat or another 50/50.
-Dsmash's reward is obvious and it's pretty safe at range even after the nerf.
-Jab/jab combo is perhaps more unsafe than it really needs to be, but its ability to shut down many OoS threats is worth noting. Another option where the threat of its use is its primary significance.
-SHFFL fair is moderately safe (some startup time if you want safety on landing, but you can space hits on shield beyond the reach of most grabs) and can cross up on shields.

This is also leaving out any timing mixups and of course, the option of simply waiting out your opponent. They're not well served by sitting in shield after all.

The changes to her grab completely changes its risks and option coverage, along with manipulating the functionality of certain mixups. The changes to her throws alter its rewards. The reduction in risk and other changes largely obviate the need for some of these options and other, more niche options are essentially eliminated from use altogether. Her decision tree is less complex, ie dumbed down. The opponent's decision tree is fundamentally unchanged and only slightly reweighted at most, because they still want to escape and the grab doesn't really change how they'll try to go about it.

And again, I will point out that 1) this was never any more of a weakness for ZSS than for a character such as Falcon and 2) your changes completely fail to address this "issue" in a meaningful way.

However, necessitating a lot of really hard work for not a lot of payoff doesn't make for rich gameplay IMO.
I... What? ZSS's shield game is complex, but certainly not hard work. The execution is really simple, especially given that your opponent doesn't want to stay in shield against ZSS. You choose the level of risk you're willing to accept and execute an appropriate option. Your opponent can choose to either attempt to counter your option (usually shifts advantage to one character, sometimes sets up a second 50/50) or simply attempt to escape the trap (usually null reward or slight advantage ZSS). Your reward or punishment is dependent on the risks you take. That's good design and arguably one of the fairest examples of shield pressure in the game.

Regardless, if you genuinely believe that then what you should have done is increased her rewards and maybe plugged the gap in her timings instead of reducing complexity.

I won't disagree with you that we might have gone overboard on the throw tweaks, but leaving them exactly how they were in 3.02 simply wasn't an option.
So revert both the grab and her throws, then adjust her throws again if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
"I won't disagree with you that we might have gone overboard on the throw tweaks, but leaving them exactly how they were in 3.02 simply wasn't an option."
And just to reiterate, why is that, exactly? Based off other Dev Teams members I've talked to, you guys changed (*cough*DESTROYED*cough*) her throw game because she could chain grab.

Question.........what's wrong with that, exactly? Everybody and their momma can chain grab in this game! And those few who can't chain grab have either kill throws or ACTUAL (cause ZSS's down throw is NOT one lol, it sucks soooo bad) tech chase throws.

Characters in Smash usually have 2 out of the 3 types of throws: Chain/Combo, Tech Chase, and Kill Throws.

ZSS has none of these. I thought the whole point of giving her a normal grab was to, well.......improve her grab/throw game? There was literally no reason of changing her grab if you guys were going to change the throws so badly to where we can't get anything off of them. There's literally NO POINT in grabbing with ZSS in 3.5. You grab somebody, you throw them, that's it. That is terrible design.

If this non-existent throw game is what we get for having a normal grab, then by all means please give her tether grab back. I rather have High Risk/Good Reward than Low Risk/No-Reward-Whatsoever-LOL-Did-You-Just-Seriously -Use-Grab-With ZSS?!

Last edited:

Player-3

Smash Hero
Hey man ur obviously wrong, on some characters within a 20-30% window we can SOMETIMES get an aerial out of uthrow!!! You dont know what ur talking about obviously

Agi

Smash Lord
Well, these boards are certainly a lot more divided than I'd have thought going in... er, anyway, Wario main here, looking to pick up ZSS to cover a few bad matchups, particularly Marth. I've yet to really explore her in-depth (actually thought her grabgame was GOOD before coming in here - my training partner's DI leaves something to be desired, I think) but overall, do you guys feel she's worth picking up as a secondary in this build of the game?

Foo

Smash Lord
That depends on what you are going for. Are you picking her up sheerly to cover bad mathups and win more, or are you thinking about it because you enjoy playing her and she just happens to cover some bad matchups (like why I picked up roy as secondary in 3.02)?

Also, what are these problem matchups you are having on wario? I know her matchup spread fairly well, but I'm almost clueless towards wario's. I think ZSS is very viable to main or secondary, but she's only around mid to upper mid tier atm, but there may be better choices for you.

EDIT: For some reason, I missed when you said marth. I'd say ZSS is not the choice to beat out marth, for sure. It's not a bad matchup, but I think it's in marth's favor this patch. Her best tool against marth doesn't exist anymore, so...

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Not sure I'd condone using ZSS to cover the Marth matchup right now. It was slight advantage ZSS in 3.02; I don't think that's true in 3.5. While it's likely better than the Wario matchup, you could do better than ZSS if you're purely interested in optimizing your particular matchup spread via a secondary.

Last edited:

Agi

Smash Lord
@ Foo Foo Well, I wanted to play ZSS in 3.02, but something about her just felt off. Probably the tether grab in retrospect. She "felt" weird in 3.02, and with the changes in 3.5 she "feels" more "playable" to me. Terrible, terrible reasoning I know, lol. More to the point, I do enjoy playing her (with the exception of the huge amount of frustration the down special's endlag when you can't jump cancel it) and she provides some more character diversity to our scene, which is honestly something I've been trying to push. If she doesn't have an advantage anymore though... well, there's always a bunch of other characters. Thanks for the input.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I'm officially a ZSS main as of today! :)

Am confused on how to combo spacies though... It seems like at low %'s they're impossible to even get off the ground. I was thinking play it like a Falcon and rely on lots of tech chases off grabs and Dsmashes. What else can I work on?

Foo

Smash Lord
It's best to simply pick a different character against spacies due to the matchup, but if you are ZSS against one, the only "combo tools" you have is uptilt and sorta upsmash. Other than that, you just have tech chases and high % kill combos (like nair to fair)

Foo

Smash Lord
ZSS-spacies are unwinnable? I could see Falco but Fox and Wolf look somewhat doable.
It's actually the other way around in my experience. Falco is really easy to gimp, but it's much harder to gimp fox and wolf at low %s, and it's very difficult to rack damage as ZSS has fairly low damage and depends on combos to rack up damage.

None of them are unwinnable, but they are pretty bad. You can still fight them with ZSS, but it's smarter to pick up a secondary because you won't beat a player of equal or nearly equal skill in that matchup. In fact, I three sticked someone's mewtwo in winner's bracket, then lost to him in loser's after someone told him fox is good against ZSS. He doesn't even play fox >.> I should have still beaten him, but...

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
In 3.02, Spacies vs. ZSS was like 90-10, with Wolf maybe being 80-20. Now it's more like 70-30, which is still bad, but much better than it was before.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Falco is near impossible now imo. His shine comes out faster than we can grab, so the new grab doesn't help our OoS options in the MU. At mid% i usually do utiltchains into uair chains into fair or something (if I'm able to get in at all that is), but I'm at a complete loss as to how to what the best options are when Falco is at low %.

In my experience, from hardest to easiest in terms of difficulty: Falco>Wolf>Fox. At least we can approach Fox and Wolf... >.< In 3.02 I never really considered picking up a secondary for spacies... but now I'm thinking of using Diddy against them. Who knows if its the best option but I play Diddy in Brawl and Smash 4 so I know the character very well already, and he seems like he has the tools to deal with them.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
I'm just glad I also main Roy, so I'm not forced to do the spacie MU with ZSS. It's definitely one of the most awkard-feeling and slanted MU's in the game.

Grabbing OoS is still unsafe, yeah, but at least you can attempt grabs in the neutral game in the first place. It was waaaay to risk to try one against a spacie in 3.02. It'd be your stock if you missed.

Foo

Smash Lord
Huh, it's funny how everyone thinks the spacy matchups are really bad, but everyone has a different opinion on which is worse. My rank is the exact opposite of Legit's, listing Fox>Wolf>Falco in terms of difficulty. The nuetral is about as hard for each, with falco's being slightly harder, but it is MUCH easier to gimp falco and slightly easier to gimp wolf. When I'm in this matchup, I just try to get them offstage no matter what.

Also, I don't really see the matchup as improved overall. She has an improved nuetral tool in her grab, but it is super low reward. As for nerfs, she lost a pretty strong neutral tool and took nerfs to her strongest gimp tools (nair/divekick) and the new tether hop makes her pretty easy to kill.

I agree slightly with oro. I think Wolf is about the same, Fox is a lot harder, and Falco is slightly harder. RIght now, I'd put them all around 80-20, with fox being nearer to 85-15 and falco being nearer to 75-25. Either way, I think we can all agree you want to have a secondary.

Foo

Smash Lord
Who do you guys think is best vs spacies of the FE boys? Unless there's a better alternative.
I think roy is slightly better than the others because he has the best time comboing them. He's also a little harder for fox to gimp and has a good CC tool.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I would still say Marth. Best dash dance, excellent grab game, he hasn't lost his Melee combos at all, amazing range, great gimping game. His trouble is his low fall speed and mediocre recovery, but those only hurt him so much in Melee.

I feel like Roy would be fairly effective against Fox, and he could at least CC a bit of the way through Wolf's Shine, but his sub-par defense would make him struggle vs. Falco, and his booty recovery hurts him pretty badly. Ike might be able to compete with Wolf's spacing, and could probably dance with Fox, but I think Falco would give him a pretty bad rough-housing, as well. Really, Marth is the only one I can see doing well against Falco.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Weakening/changing a move's knockback/damage/knockback angle could allow for new combos off of it.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Weakening/changing a move's knockback/damage/knockback angle could allow for new combos off of it.
Well yeah but that doesn't apply to the specific case of ZSS's divekick. There is too much lag to get any worthwhile combos off of it. Only thing I could think of is hitting with the last active frame of the kick at like 0% then following up with an uair.... that might not even work and even if it did, it's extremely impractical. Divekick is not and never was meant to be a combo tool, so the changes to it were definitely not buffs.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Edge canceled dive kick combos into fair, and that's how you use ZSS dive kick nowadays*, and I like that. Yeah, it was better overall last patch, but being able to jump out of a divekick was pretty ******** and I'm glad it's gone.

Also, I'm not sure what you are on about. I already said that they gave the sweetspot more knockback, not less.

*If you use it for something that isn't edguarding or being edgecanceled, you are generally using it wrong. However, there are some exceptions.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I haven't mained her long enough to be the judge of divekick but I can perform it consistently and approve that it has loads of followups if edgecancelled.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Sure, but it has nothing that 3.02 divekick didn't have. The only point of my post was that the move was nerfed (which is obvious). Edgecanceled divekick combos are few and far between though, as they require an opponent to be caught off guard at the edge of a platform (not counting stage ledges). Its increase in knockback makes it even harder to followup at mid%. You'd have to catch them standing on the platform, rather than catching them trying to jump up to you with an aerial. Performing an edgecanceled (can I call it EC, lol) divekick on an opponent on the ledge is almost always outclassed by dsmash, imo. It's main purpose is definitely edgeguarding.

Last edited:

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
How many times do I have to tell you that the knockback growth got increased? lol
What I posted was in regards to divekick's combo potential, in response to Jay. So what I meant was, it has nothing good that 3.02 divekick didn't have when speaking purely of comboing. The increase in knockback hurts it combo potential for obvious reasons. If anything, it's worse for comboing now than before.

Last edited:

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Something I've been noticing: It's extremely harder to jab reset people now.

In 3.02, I would get jab resets 70% of the time. Now it's like, 10% of the time. The jab keeps popping people up instead of resetting them.

Nvm, I know why now:

Last edited:
Top Bottom