• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Auto canceled" Fair?!?

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
(Before I begin I've been using pikachu and project m for about a week, so if I'm wrong in anything plz don't be a **** about it)

People are saying that pikachu's fair is "auto canceled" and you can follow up with grab/up smash and it will be a true combo.

But for some reason my fairs don't auto cancel at all. It has a huge noticeable lag, but when I l cancel it has very little lag, and I'm able to true combo but only 25% of the time

Usually I hit the floor before my fair even finishes (short hop,fair,fast fall) just letting you know my inputs to see if I'm doing something wrong

Also I'm new to this site and wanted to know if this is the appropriate place to post this.

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
This is a good place, though you'd probably get more immediate answers if you post into the general or social thread of that character board since most people usually follow that instead of the character board itself. That being said, welcome to Smashboards! We Pika mains are rather few in number right now so we're glad you can join us!

I had been meaning to figure this out in debug mode for a while now, so let me get back to you after testing it out. In the mean time, keep in mind that auto-cancel is different than L-cancel. While L-cancel halves the landing lag, auto-cancels are IASA frames (interruptible as soon as) that will keep playing the animation but you can act out of it. One famous example is Ganon's neutral air (the Arty vortex or something?) If you want to try this yourself, hold down shield during the Fair. If it autocancels, it will bring up the shield immediately, instead of blinking white for a brief instance indicating the L-cancel.

EDIT: Okay I'm back. An autocancel makes the shield pop up on frame 5 of the landing animation, while an L-canceled Fair raises shield on frame 10. The L-cancel style landing takes place after frame 9 of Fair, one frame before the active hitboxes come out.

Long story short, Fair only autocancels before the move actually damages the opponent. The Fair -> grab or U-smash is because of the L-cancel if you actually do damage with the Fair. It's still a true combo though, it's just not the autocancel that's doing it.

Last edited:

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Thnx, i didn't know what auto cancel was and assumed it just automaticity l cancels for u. But auto canceling doesn't seem that useful in my perspective unless you mess up your timing, and need to shield. Either that or I still don't know what auto canceling is. I can't find any YouTube video showing what auto canceling is.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Pika's L-cancels are usually fast enough that autocancels aren't as big of a need. Characters with longer aerial endlag (again referring to the Ganon example) appreciate this more.

Fair autocancel could be useful for mindgame stuff, you just have to be aware of when it happens so you know when you don't hit the opponent and can take advantage of the extra frames you get

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Bair and Nair can be auto canceled as well. Nair seems to have either a 1 or 2 frame window for doing it. It has to be inputted the frame before Pika leaves the ground. You cant fast fall out of an auto canceled Nair, meaning its almost always slower than a SHFFL Nair.

Auto canceled Fair can possibly be good for shield pressure. Since an L-canceled Fair normally has 10 frames of lag but it only has 4 when it is autocanceled, it saves 6 you frames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom