• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Aura Warriors, Discover & Master [READ BEFORE MAKING A THREAD]

First Question: Is this Q & A thread decent?

• Yes.

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • No.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Definitely!

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I guess.

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
At low percents it's a true combo. And depending on characters' fall speed and Lucario's Aura, it can still true combo past 100%. For example, Falcon is at 130% and Lucario is at 0%. Up throw, up air can either true combo or be a reliable 50/50.

Basically, up throw has so many factors to consider when it gets to the point of when it can or can't true combo, 50/50, or just not work.

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
Sour spot sh F-air to dj b-air out of ASC is a true combo and a kill confirm that can kill relatively early when by the ledge though. Remember this?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Jump-cancelled upsmash out of Aura Sphere Charge. Otherwise nah
Also, DAir. Iirc jumpsquat is around 5 frames plus 4 frame startup of DAir. 9 frames total. If I remember correctly Aura Sphere charge does 11 frames of hitstun when both Mario and Lucario are at 0% same stock, which could mean it combos at 0% depending on position and DI.

When Lucario is at 47 and Mario is at 48 same stock there are at least 15 frames of hitstun with a fresh Aura Sphere charge. I got it to combo to USmash in training mode, so with freshness and rage it would potentially combo even earlier. Needless to say if you do not want to stale USmash for a kill setup later you may want to go for a DAir if in position.

Just be weary of those type of people who SDI up and Counter, some 3 frame moves, etc. vs. Aura Sphere Charge at low/mid percents.

If we really want to improve our game at this point I think we need to commit to practicing near or perfect frame inputs for our ASC combos.

J-Aura

Smash Rookie
Has anyone know another true combo... the first hit of dair that leaves the opponent atunned and catch them with comand grab fp.
Its a true garunteed combo killer

Basketweiner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3711-8232-3032
So I'm trying to auto-snap ledge out of grounded ES, and from what I've found if you hold down at certain distances after committing to a horizontal direction, but it seems kind of hard to do consistently. Anyone have a way to do it consistently from a wide range of distances to the ledge?

Empire~

s a d b o y s
What do you guys think of the lucario vs Mewtwo mu?
Not great. M2's dtilt outranges just about all of our grounded moves. Even if you predict it and try to punish, dtilt's very short endlag makes hitting punishing it difficult (14 frames, Sheik's ftilt has 17 for comparison). M2's nair is good at edgeguarding our recovery. M2 kills very easily due to a couple of kill setups and 2 kill throws.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Not great. M2's dtilt outranges just about all of our grounded moves. Even if you predict it and try to punish, dtilt's very short endlag makes hitting punishing it difficult (14 frames, Sheik's ftilt has 17 for comparison). M2's nair is good at edgeguarding our recovery. M2 kills very easily due to a couple of kill setups and 2 kill throws.
So would you say its a slight disadvantage for you guys? I personally think its pretty even

DoubleC

Smash Rookie
NNID
Trompper
So I'm trying to auto-snap ledge out of grounded ES, and from what I've found if you hold down at certain distances after committing to a horizontal direction, but it seems kind of hard to do consistently. Anyone have a way to do it consistently from a wide range of distances to the ledge?
Well I found out that if you roll the L-stick down and back like a ledge trump it works most of the time....
You can try jumping above the ledge and ES down. You'll always snap the ledge unless the hit box comes out

Megamang

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I've been considering picking up a pocket Lucario for the Shiek MU. I've got Megaman and Greninja for most MU coverage, but Shiek is an annoying hole in those two's (and most characters...) coverage.

I know it wasn't even prepatch, but now that Shiek can struggle to kill.. it seems like it'd be playing to my strengths, even if its like 55-45 for Shiek. I can avoid kill setups and read my opponent going to kill, but sometimes struggle to break in in the neutral until I start making those reads... so a comeback mechanic like Aura would play into that natural strength. Also, I'd think he would have some utility in doubles for me as well.

Anyways, can someone tell me the name of some top 5 Lucario's, or even point me towards some good Vs Shiek sets? I want to see how the MU plays out before I start trying to learn it personally. Also, if anyone has more resources like that youtube link above with that cool ASC - Fair - Bair kill confirm, i'd love it. I know Aura + rage shakes up a lot of 'guaranteedness' for Luc, but ideas are often enough to have floating around to get some execution down, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Hey guys, I've been considering picking up a pocket Lucario for the Shiek MU. I've got Megaman and Greninja for most MU coverage, but Shiek is an annoying hole in those two's (and most characters...) coverage.

I know it wasn't even prepatch, but now that Shiek can struggle to kill.. it seems like it'd be playing to my strengths, even if its like 55-45 for Shiek. I can avoid kill setups and read my opponent going to kill, but sometimes struggle to break in in the neutral until I start making those reads... so a comeback mechanic like Aura would play into that natural strength. Also, I'd think he would have some utility in doubles for me as well.

Anyways, can someone tell me the name of some top 5 Lucario's, or even point me towards some good Vs Shiek sets? I want to see how the MU plays out before I start trying to learn it personally. Also, if anyone has more resources like that youtube link above with that cool ASC - Fair - Bair kill confirm, i'd love it. I know Aura + rage shakes up a lot of 'guaranteedness' for Luc, but ideas are often enough to have floating around to get some execution down, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.
For Luc vs Sheik match, I'd recommend Monatusbe vs Rain from Umebura 20 or the leaked Kami vs Zero match. While it was pre-patch Sheik, it's still a handy way to look at how the MU works. For other Lucario players, ONI_Day has been putting a lot of work in regionals as of late in things such as Final round and Tampa never sleeps along with the Smash conferences in Florda. Kami is another definite recommendation, though he hasn't been to many large tourneys do to IRL stuff. Still his sets in LTC are a great way to learn how Lucario is played optimally. Serge is also another notable having won TIER 3 in Mexico and Gomamugitya who is another Japanese Lucarion. Loota's also knows how to use Luc's kit well, but has a tendency to do silly things when in on tilt. There are others, though those are the ones that I know of the top of my head.

Watching "My smash comer"'s vid on B-revering is a must since alot of Lucario's gameplay revolves around Aura Sphere and it's charging hitbox (the thing responsible for many of Luc's kill setups). Having mastery of it will not only give a stronger zoning and baiting game, but also a way to sneak in kill much easier than fishing for Force palm or B-air. Also there's bit of low key stuff like using his great foxtrot (due to his fast intial dash and high traction) to dance around someone range as opposed to straight approaching, using nair as the go spacing tool, grab combos off uthrow ,other ASC confirms such as ASC-->dair, etc. Aura+ Rage can defiantly be hilarious at times, but keep in mind that losing stocks will set you back a fair bit. Anubis and his kill set ups can alleviate this, but you will still have to weather your opponent's momentum since it will be some time before you can take the stock back. All in all, knowing Luc's strengths and picking battles wisely will get you far.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Does Lucario have a kill confirm out of his throws? In the last set I played with Day, in Game 2, he finished the stock with DThrow into Uair. I remember airdodging the Uair, but is it avoidable or is it a true confirm if I hadn't airdodged? How do you escape the setup?

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Does Lucario have a kill confirm out of his throws? In the last set I played with Day, in Game 2, he finished the stock with DThrow into Uair. I remember airdodging the Uair, but is it avoidable or is it a true confirm if I hadn't airdodged? How do you escape the setup?
Uthrow Uair can be a true kill confirm but the window for that is pretty small and depends on aura so it ends up becoming a 50/50 most of the time, escaping it is difficult since Uthrow sends you at an 88 degree angle and Uair is a 90 degree angle which makes reading DI pretty easy the best thing you can do is DI left or right. I'm not sure why Day used Dthrow since Uthrow sets up for better combos pretty much 100% of the time and puts you right above lucario, which is the last place you want to be, but to answer your other question no Dthrow-> Uair isn't a true combo.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Uthrow Uair can be a true kill confirm but the window for that is pretty small and depends on aura so it ends up becoming a 50/50 most of the time, escaping it is difficult since Uthrow sends you at an 88 degree angle and Uair is a 90 degree angle which makes reading DI pretty easy the best thing you can do is DI left or right. I'm not sure why Day used Dthrow since Uthrow sets up for better combos pretty much 100% of the time and puts you right above lucario, which is the last place you want to be, but to answer your other question no Dthrow-> Uair isn't a true combo.
It might have been a UThrow. I really don't remember since the match wasn't streamed. But it was a grab into Uair and I was pretty sure it was going to confirm. Does UThrow Uair true confirm if Lucario is past 100%?

Last edited:

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
It might have been a UThrow. I really don't remember since the match wasn't streamed. But it was a grab into Uair and I was pretty sure it was going to confirm. Does UThrow Uair true confirm if Lucario is past 100%?
Yes it can and with ike's weight and above average fast fall speed it's easier to get Uthrow Uair to be a true combo, but during the time it's a true combo it shouldn't be taking taking any stocks unless you're on the top platform of dreamland or on a platform in general in town & city.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Yes it can and with ike's weight and above average fast fall speed it's easier to get Uthrow Uair to be a true combo, but during the time it's a true combo it shouldn't be taking taking any stocks unless you're on the top platform of dreamland or on a platform in general in town & city.
He nabbed me on the base platform of Duck Hunt.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
He nabbed me on the base platform of Duck Hunt.
That will do it too lol, be careful when playing around lucario's grab its frame 6 oos, his dash grab is frame 8, and his pivot grab range is kinda dumb, he also has moves that'll lead into a grab.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
That will do it too lol, be careful when playing around lucario's grab its frame 6 oos, his dash grab is frame 8, and his pivot grab range is kinda dumb, he also has moves that'll lead into a grab.
So does Lucario do better on flat stages?

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
So does Lucario do better on flat stages?
He does fine on all of the legal stages since all of his combos are pretty consistent, flat stages means there's less ways to avoid aura sphere and ASC (aura sphere charge) combos and stages with platforms gives him opportunities to extend combos and pressure you on the platforms, but if I were to choose which stage he'd be the worst on it would be lylat.

Last edited:

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
He does fine on all of the legal stages since all of his combos are pretty consistent, flat stages means there's less ways to avoid aura sphere and ASC (aura sphere charge) combos and stages with platforms gives him opportunities to extend combos and pressure you on the platforms, but if I were to choose which stage he'd be the worst on it would be lylat.
Lylat is by far Lucario's worst stage due to the stage tilting. A slight tilt while recovering can be death for us, yet on stage is manageable for us. The stage tilting can mean we get pineapple'd or if you land on stage, you might get the worst landing lag from ES. There's almost never a good reason for us to go to Lylat by choice.

The Dismisser

Smash Rookie
Anyone else have trouble with mix-ups? That's kinda my main weakness and I've never really found a way around it, especially as Lucario. I've been advised to switch mains, but I would prefer to avoid switching for like the 50,000th time this year lol. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Anyone else have trouble with mix-ups? That's kinda my main weakness and I've never really found a way around it, especially as Lucario. I've been advised to switch mains, but I would prefer to avoid switching for like the 50,000th time this year lol. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!
If someone shield grabs a lot use a NAir to get behind them. NAir has two hits, which may catch someone's head or allow you to get behind them if you time it right.

I also love using stuff like UTilt then pivot roll cancel grab. Condition, study, and punish.

CreatureComforts

Smash Rookie
So I saw a video somewhere around here a while ago that explained how to do the extremespeed slide on Dreamland, but I can't seem to find it again. If anyone knows the video I'm talking about, or can otherwise explain to me how that works, it'd be appreciated.

Empire~

s a d b o y s
You just need to hold straight down as you hit the stage to get the smooth landing on dreamland

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Twisted Jokerr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4442-1237-4201
Fox is known to be Lucarios Worst character to fight against. So I wanted to know if there were anything I could exploit to help turn the tides in this Matchup.

P.S. I'm sticking with Lucario, not switching characters.

The Dismisser

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the wall of text, but I do play against a Fox main every weekend so I know this matchup better than my own main :p
So... Yeah. I think this is an important one so I'll give you everything I know on it.
Rather than exploiting strengths and weaknesses, this MU is all about being aware of what Fox is looking for.

Fox has a some things for you to look out for, especially as Lucario:

1.) Fox's Utilt. That thing is scary. Be careful at low %, because you can get walked into it quickly. You generally want to try DIing on the side Fox is facing and try to jump out if you think you'll be safe.

2.) Fair spike. Fox mains might do this thing where they fast fall their forward air offstage, pulling you down into a footstool. Be really patient offstage (especially since your recovery is pretty good) and you should be fine. Fox normally has trouble edge guarding and especially if you're not Cloud or aren't between him and the stage. If you are, get ready to tech some Bairs :p

(Edit: if you get thrown when not offstage, DI away from Fox if they like using Fair. If not he might get a free combo. Be prepared to tech or avoid a dash attack too. If you're offstage, moving away from the stage is your best bet)

3.) Uair. Fox's Uair will be used a lot in combos and will probably not be punishable, especially when autocanceled. Fox is always looking for this, Bair, or Usmash at high %, so get ready to DI left or right if you're hit by Uair or Usmash at high %. Also watch out; Utilt can true combo at certain times but usually 50-50s into this.

4.) Usmash. Fox has KO setups out of Dair, Nair, perhaps fast fall Fair, and jab 1-2. At high %, be ready to tech and mix up the roll. If you don't tech, you WILL get Usmashed and probably lose an early stock, watch out.

5.) On KOs and stages: Fox has trouble KOing, especially when you deny him his setups. Lucario is heavy, allowing for Fox to keep his KO setups longer, but has aura, so that helps. Also, Fox loves Battlefield, Town and City, and stages with low ceilings OR platforms. Go somewhere where you should survive the longest, especially off the top, and let aura do its thing. As for platforms, Lucario's heavy weight opens up even more options to Fox's already amazing combo game, so getting caught under a bunch of Uairs where Fox is shielded by platforms is not a very pleasant situation.

6.) On neutral: Unfortunately, this is the biggest part of the matchup imo, and it's one of the worst parts for Lucario.
That being said, I'll admit that it was a really disgusting matchup for me, especially because of neutral. Fox is really fast, has really low lag, has superior priority, blaster for free damage/approaches and reflectors for aura sphere. Punishing Fox, especially when you're on the ground, is really difficult. However, if he's above you, Uair can help... but be careful. If he lands a hit, it could mean a combo or a stock. You're never really safe from Fox, even when he's landing.

Edit: There's people like me out there who enjoy a flashy Aura Sphere snipe, but I don't enjoy getting a max aura AS reflected back at me. Odds are Fox mains are aware of this and will have out reflectors in the late game. Also watch for Fsmash; it's safer than one might expect even if it doesn't move past your shield.
Fox's dash attack also can set up into an Uair at certain points but I'm pretty sure it's not a true combo.

Hope I didn't forget anything :p

All in all, I never enjoyed this matchup, so I can tell you from experience it may get frustrating. Hope this helps, and my apologies to all of the people who have to scroll through these 5 miles of text :p

Last edited:

Micklebarrow

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this is the place to ask (thread is pretty slow by the looks of it?) but I've been having trouble with getting both nair hits out of an up throw. Seems super inconsistent to me and I'm probably missing a trick.

My guess is that I need the first hit to send them backwards so probably need to jump forwards a bit before pressing nair / follow DI. Anyone know?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Not sure if this is the place to ask (thread is pretty slow by the looks of it?) but I've been having trouble with getting both nair hits out of an up throw. Seems super inconsistent to me and I'm probably missing a trick.

My guess is that I need the first hit to send them backwards so probably need to jump forwards a bit before pressing nair / follow DI. Anyone know?
In order for both hits of NAir to hit the opponent has to be above and touching you after NAir hit 1. It is not always essential for both hits to hit. With low percent UThrow you want to get some quick combos and get your opponent in worse position compared to you, so you can get more follow ups. NAir hitting twice is a bonus, but sometimes you may want to FF to the ground after a NAir and follow up.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
What about Cloud, Mewtwo, and Diddy? Lucario only kinda plays matchups anyway, but these along with Fox have given me the most trouble.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
What about Cloud, Mewtwo, and Diddy? Lucario only kinda plays matchups anyway, but these along with Fox have given me the most trouble.
Its probably evenish against Cloud. Its a matter of keeping him offstage and exploiting his recovery.

Diddy I'm not too sure about. Didn't Zero say that he though Lucario beat Diddy maybe? If we stay aware of stuff like DIing out of Diddy's USmash (or even Double Team after a DTilt when you expect a USmash) I think it might be evenish and we can hassle his Up B. He can juggle us for days though.

Top Bottom