• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Aura Warriors, Discover & Master [READ BEFORE MAKING A THREAD]

First Question: Is this Q & A thread decent?

• Yes.

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • No.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Definitely!

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I guess.

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
:4lucario:Welcome to SSB4 Lucario's Q & A thread:4lucario:

Before you make a thread, come here to read the FAQs & see if your desired question is listed. If it is not, you should still post your question(s) here within the thread to prevent threads created for just asking a few curiosities.

FAQs include:

Q: What is Aura, and what does it do?
A: Aura is Lucario's signature mechanic making him much stronger the more damage he takes. The higher his % health reaches, the more formidable his Aura attacks becomes. During game-play, Aura is visually the blue fire in the shape of pillars in Lucario's attacks

Q: Will the Aura stack with the Rage effect?
A: Yes, maximum Rage is only about 15% bonus knockback, but the extra 15% onto Aura is icing on the cake. Rage starts around 35% & caps at 150%.

Q: Will Lucario weaken if he's in the lead like how it was in Brawl?
A: No, In Sm4sh Lucario's damage does not decrease if he has the lead, regardless whether it's 10% or a full stock.

Q: What moves scale with Aura in his attacks?
A: Every move, z-dropped items & items thrown.

Q: Is Short Hop > F-air > N-air / D-air still a thing?
A: Yes, but F-air has more ending lag, deals more base knockback, & has a higher knockback angle so you have to input both aerials within that Short or Full Hop at lower percentages.

Q: Can we still cross-up with FP like in Brawl?
A: Yes, we can still abuse characters sitting in their shield. Once they adapt to it though, it becomes a mix-up.

Q: Does D-air still stall our aerial momentum?
A: Not as much anymore. The stall-then-fall is still there, but it's a slight amount.

Q: Well then what uses does Dair have now?
A: I'm not aware of D-air having the pseudo-SHFFL property from Brawl, but Dair does Platform Cancel.

Q: Where can I find valuable information about Lucario?
A: Here's MythTrainerInfinity's Smash 4 Lucario Aura Damage Chart, Jaxas's Technical Data Thread.

Q: When does Lucario's Aura Cap?
A: Lucario's Aura Cap is 190%, though not every move scales equally. Refer to MTI's Ver 1.2 Aura Damage Chart.

Q: If Kirby copies Lucario's Aura Sphere ability, does he get the Aura effect too?
A: No, Kirby's Aura Sphere maximum base damage is the equivalent to Lucario's Aura Sphere at 75% damage

Q: Are Lucario's Custom Specials any good?
A: This answer is preference-based really. Players can find practical uses for the Customs that others may not.

Q: What are B-Reversing & WaveBouncing, how do they work, and how do you perform them?
A: Click here

Q: What is Reverse Double Team, and what does it do?
A: Reverse Double Team aka RDT is as it sounds, reversing Double Team. Normally Double Team aka DT will vanish & reappear in front of his original location, whereas a RDT will vanish & reappear behind his original location & will result with a longer slide & a larger attack toward the direction you were initially facing. To do a RDT, hold the analog stick in the opposite direction Lucario is facing after the opponent hits your Double Team's counter activation.

Q: What do terms like AS, DT, BAS, & ASC mean?
A: Terms like AS & DT are Lucario abbreviations frequently used in the Lucario boards. Here's a list:
AS - Aura Sphere.
ASC - Aura Sphere Charge. The ticking orb hit-box behind Lucario.
BAS - Baby Aura Sphere. Mashing B to fire an uncharged Aura Sphere.
FP - Force Palm.
FPF - Force Palm Flame. The Aura emitted projectile of the move that can be absorbed & reflected.
FPG - Force Palm Grab. Lucario's command grab when up close to a character.
ES - Extreme Speed
DT - Double Team
RDT - Reverse Double Team

Other terms to know:
RAR - Reverse Aerial Rush.
FCAS - Fully Charged Aura Sphere

Jab - 1st hit of Jab combo
Jab-2 - 2nd hit of Jab combo
Jab-3 - 3rd hit of Jab combo
DA Dash Attack
F-tilt - Forward tilt
U-tilt - Up tilt
D-tilt - Down tilt
F-smash - Forward smash
U-smash - Up smash
Hyphen smash - Inputting a U-smash during an initial dash.
D-smash - Down smash
F-air - Forward air
B-air - Back air
U-air - Up air
D-air - Down air
Pummel
F-throw - Forward throw
B-throw - Back throw
U-throw - Up throw
D-throw - Down throw

So with that said, ask away Aura Warriors.
:4lucario:

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The damage and distance of the Aura part of Force Palm increases the more Aura Lucario has (closer hits do more damage). At max Aura, it covers quite a bit of distance, I want to say roughly a 1/4th of FD? I could be wrong because I don't have the game in front of me right now, derp. Note that the animation does not match the hitbox. There is an "inner part" of the flame that is the tip of the hitbox. Regardless, the more Aura you have, the better tool it becomes for spacing, punishing spotdodges, edgeguarding, etc.

The grab hitbox never increases distance, only damage and knockback.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Tested the Aura part and it is approximately 1/3 of FD at full aura. At 0% it is a little shorter than Brawl's Force Palm.

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Could we test if Aura behaves differently in teams? Because I aura defiantly gets stronger when you have the least amount of stocks. I also feel as if it gets weaker(it could be some type of brawl bias going on it my head though.)

Has anyone figured out any uses for dilt. I find that it is an already option if you dair shield then follow up with a dtilt, but force palm is usually the superior option. Other than that I have only found utility with it when people make poor landing decisions when they are right next to you. It will come out faster than AS and more reliable than jab. I guess you can also use it to hit people out of their lay down animation( the thing where you lie down after tumble)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
After messing around with dtilt, it's...not a good move. It has uses I guess, but it can be punished by some characters even when perfectly spaced. You can probably trick people with it (like near an edge), but I dunno at this point. I guess it'll require more playing around.

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I messed around with it a bit more. Its pretty good vs characters shields if they have slow/poor oos options.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It has very situational uses at the very minimum.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I've been playing a little bit of Lucario lately;

Can he get a garantueed combo off of any of his throws?

Does DA or Dtilt lead to anything garantueed at low %'s?

I don't find him that effective when it comes to gimping.
What do you feel are his best gimp-tools?

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I've been playing a little bit of Lucario lately;

Can he get a garantueed combo off of any of his throws?

Does DA or Dtilt lead to anything garantueed at low %'s?

I don't find him that effective when it comes to gimping.
What do you feel are his best gimp-tools?
Bthrow > DA at early-ish%
Uthrow > SH+Uair at low %. At mid-percent Uthrow > FH+Uair can do the trick as well
Dthrow > SH+Fair at early % I thought works but I can be wrong on this. Dthrow > FH+Fair could work at mid-percent too.

Nothing really is guaranteed for Fthrow unless they tumble on-stage & you FAS if they don't tech, depending how they vector.

As for the DA / Dtilt follow-ups to anything guaranteed, I can't test that atm but implying you hit them with DA at early %, you may have the opportunity to Utilt from behind. Dtilt would have to read a Airdodge landing & you FAS.
That's about all I've got.:urg:

EDIT: For gimping, AS is a great gimping tool, whether it's BAS or FCAS, they'll do work when aimed well sniping them off-stage. RAR+Bair, Nair because it's ending lag airborne decreased, & Dair when characters recover low. Fair no longer gimps really, the KB on it increased thus their trajectory is diagonally in front of us

Last edited:

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Q: Does F1FP still work?
A: Personally haven't tested this myself, but apparently not. You can FP grab someone right as you're landed though.
Hasn't this been proven to work? At least I use it like I did in Brawl and it seems to work exactly the same (inputting it just before landing).

You might want to add something about dair being a legit platform canceling move to the FAQ, that's something I'd like to know when looking basic information about Lucario.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Could we test if Aura behaves differently in teams? Because I aura defiantly gets stronger when you have the least amount of stocks. I also feel as if it gets weaker(it could be some type of brawl bias going on it my head though.)

Has anyone figured out any uses for dilt. I find that it is an already option if you dair shield then follow up with a dtilt, but force palm is usually the superior option. Other than that I have only found utility with it when people make poor landing decisions when they are right next to you. It will come out faster than AS and more reliable than jab. I guess you can also use it to hit people out of their lay down animation( the thing where you lie down after tumble)
After messing around with dtilt, it's...not a good move. It has uses I guess, but it can be punished by some characters even when perfectly spaced. You can probably trick people with it (like near an edge), but I dunno at this point. I guess it'll require more playing around.
I sometimes use DTilt in strings or to punish landings. The way that it Lucario attacks with DTilt makes him slightly harder to hit, since he doesn't lean his whole body into the attack like many of his moves.
Hasn't this been proven to work? At least I use it like I did in Brawl and it seems to work exactly the same (inputting it just before landing).

You might want to add something about dair being a legit platform canceling move to the FAQ, that's something I'd like to know when looking basic information about Lucario.
I dislike calling it frame 1, because it is a little deceptively named. However, I have been able to do it too. Amazing mixup on those who love to sit in their shields.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

I wouldn't consider that a 'basic' piece of information, but it's done.:shades:
I dislike calling it frame 1, because it is a little deceptively named. However, I have been able to do it too. Amazing mixup on those who love to sit in their shields.
My mistake. So the question instead says this:

Q: Can we still cross-up with FP like in Brawl?
A: Yes, we can still abuse characters sitting in their shield. Once they adapt to it though, it becomes a mix-up.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I tried using dtilt on Yoshi's yesterday near the sloped edge, and it was hitting opponents that were behind me.

I swear this game does not handle slopes very well at all...

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
DTilt has some very weird hitboxes. I think the hitbox goes from the Aura burst to Lucario's butt.

Sakurai sure likes putting random hitboxes on Lucario's butt for some reason...

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Im liking that Lucario doesn't lose power if he's in the lead. I always found the Aura concept interesting in Brawl.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
General Questions:
How long can Lucario cling for?

Will DT's slide facing toward the blast zone still cling to a wall?
Will RDT's slide facing toward the stage still cling to a wall?

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Lucario can wall cling for 3 seconds.

It is hard to test double team stuff by yourself. :(

Also some intresting thing I found:

When lucario crashes in to a wall at anything above a complete horizontal angle he will get upward momentum. In many cases enough to grab the edge. This means if you don't have invincibility a well timed up-B crash could be the difference between life and death. I imagine this will be more useful in the wiiu version when we have more control of Up-B

Also Dair>dtilt is a true combo if you use dair close enough to the ground and right next to most characters. It seems pretty situational I kept accidental doing it when people would let go of their shields, but after some formal testing it seems to work on most of the cast.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Not sure if these are the right questions for this thread, but it's worth a shot:

I've been working on learning how to do retreating pivot tilts. While I'm getting the hang of the mechanics and with angling Lucario's f-tilt, I have no clue when to use it in a fight. I've also heard you can pivot his forward smash somehow? What do I change to do that?

I've also had some trouble landing pivot grabs with him. He always slides too far when I try to do it, to where I can't grab someone who's right behind me and it gets really frustrating when I realize I can't do that as a punish at times where it'd really help. I figure I'm messing up on the input, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
You have to basically Pivot and FSmash. Just gotta be quick 'bout it.

I also figured out that you can pivot grab Sonic out of his Homing. Which is something that we really needed in that MU.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if these are the right questions for this thread, but it's worth a shot:
I've also had some trouble landing pivot grabs with him. He always slides too far when I try to do it, to where I can't grab someone who's right behind me and it gets really frustrating when I realize I can't do that as a punish at times where it'd really help. I figure I'm messing up on the input, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I'd suggest that you try out roll cancelled pivot grab which makes Lucario not slide at all while still giving a boosted range on his grab. It's especially useful when you only want to catch someone charging towards you without having the need to space it just perfect with the sliding. I'd still use the normal pivot grab when I feel like I'm not at risk of being attacked as the sliding will allow you to input it a bit earlier than a roll canceled one.

Basically, just push R right before pivot grabbing and Lucario should stop completely while doing it. You know you did it right when a spark can be seen at Lucario's feet.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
At what percentage does Lucarios Aura Spheres and Sspecial become bigger? And I guess stronger too. But it seems that he gets stronger at intervals.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
At what percentage does Lucarios Aura Spheres and Sspecial become bigger? And I guess stronger too. But it seems that he gets stronger at intervals.
What MTI said, & yeah AS naturally grows larger as his current % rises at higher levels, no matter if you throw Baby Aura Spheres, or Fullcharged Aura Spheres. Though I can't say exactly at what % intervals it's noticeably bigger. I guess once it hits 70% your FCAS is ready to go?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
When you hear a different initial charge up sound is when you will get to the stupidly big sizes. You'll know it when you hear it.

Last edited:

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
Q: do you know of any guaranteed combo's with Lucario?

A: As far as I know, the back throw to dash attack at low percents for both you and your opponent works, the U-throw to U-air ad mid-percent and D-throw to U-air at low percents also work. If you manage to cancel the jab after Jab 1 you can do a grabbed side special at any percent, which can be a kill move at higher percents.

Would anyone know of any others?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Q: do you know of any guaranteed combo's with Lucario?

A: As far as I know, the back throw to dash attack at low percents for both you and your opponent works, the U-throw to U-air ad mid-percent and D-throw to U-air at low percents also work. If you manage to cancel the jab after Jab 1 you can do a grabbed side special at any percent, which can be a kill move at higher percents.

Would anyone know of any others?
A: D-tilt > jab / grab / FP / D-tilt

A: DA > U-tilt at early to mid low %

For now, that's all I've messed with & know.

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
All right, so I have 2 questions:

1) I remember reading about the Frame-1 FP Grab back in Brawl, and I've heard that it makes a return. How is it performed, and is it confirmed to sill be frame 1?
2) Sometimes when I UpB into the stage I go into a very small slide with relatively low lag, and other times I bounce up a bit and have a ton of lag. How do I change which one I get, is it just the angle at which I hit the stage?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
All right, so I have 2 questions:

1) I remember reading about the Frame-1 FP Grab back in Brawl, and I've heard that it makes a return. How is it performed, and is it confirmed to sill be frame 1?
2) Sometimes when I UpB into the stage I go into a very small slide with relatively low lag, and other times I bounce up a bit and have a ton of lag. How do I change which one I get, is it just the angle at which I hit the stage?
1) The name is deceiving. You start Force Palm in the air and then grab when you land. You would land on the first frame you could grab, that's why people called it that.
2) I believe it has to do with the angle right before you interact with the ground. The more obtuse the angle the less likely you'll bounce.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Because I don't have the game, questions:
  1. If you're clinging to an Omega stage with long-vertical walls & you de-cling off after 3 seconds, does holding toward the wall while falling allow Lucario to re-cling another time?

2. And as far as distance / area you can & can't cling to on walls / lips, is the YI stage from Brawl averagely the same?

3. Does a U-tilt hit characters standing on BF's platform when under them?

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Because I don't have the game, questions:
  1. If you're clinging to an Omega stage with long-vertical walls & you de-cling off after 3 seconds, does holding toward the wall while falling allow Lucario to re-cling another time?

2. And as far as distance / area you can & can't cling to on walls / lips, is the YI stage from Brawl averagely the same?

3. Does a U-tilt hit characters standing on BF's platform when under them?
1. Yes, but there's about a second delay before he clings again.
2. You seem to be able to cling to more in YI compared to Brawl. Like right below the ledge. So you can do the delay grabbing the ledge mindgame that I've been talking about in YI!Smash 4.
3. Yes.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thanks to the max MTI, more questions for anyone:
  1. Any questions I feel should be added to the FAQ in the OP? Anything can be suggested if not on the list.

2. For personal desire, wanting to know, how amazing does a RDT feel off-stage when edge-guard breaking a projectile & recovering? Is the distance of the slide + air speed amazing?:awesome:

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Thanks to the max MTI, more questions for anyone:
  1. Any questions I feel should be added to the FAQ in the OP? Anything can be suggested if not on the list.

2. For personal desire, wanting to know, how amazing does a RDT feel off-stage when edge-guard breaking a projectile & recovering? Is the distance of the slide + air speed amazing?:awesome:
1. Uhhhh. I wish we knew the frame data. I don't have a good means to do it unlike others.
2. I dislike doing DT offstage because of how far you fall. Gravity is not too kind to an activated Double Team offstage lol. Its neat though.

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
1. Uhhhh. I wish we knew the frame data. I don't have a good means to do it unlike others.
2. I dislike doing DT offstage because of how far you fall. Gravity is not too kind to an activated Double Team offstage lol. Its neat though.
I know a guy with a capture card, that's how we stream our local weeklies. Is that enough to get the frame data, and if so how should I go about doing so?

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Does a U-tilt hit characters standing on BF's platform when under them?
I wouldn't go as far as giving a universal yes since it's incredibly precise, dependable on the opposing character's animation cycle and probably even impossible on some characters. What character did you try this against that made you say yes? I'm honestly curious if I've missed someone it works reliably on.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I wouldn't go as far as giving a universal yes since it's incredibly precise, dependable on the opposing character's animation cycle and probably even impossible on some characters. What character did you try this against that made you say yes? I'm honestly curious if I've missed someone it works reliably on.
Huh, my bad. It doesn't seem to work on Mario or Weegee. Who else did you test it on?

@ Jaxas Jaxas This game is a 60 frame per second game, so... You'd have to see exactly when something hits and when we can act out of something (interruptible soon as; IASA) slowed down to 1 frame per sec.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
Huh, my bad. It doesn't seem to work on Mario or Weegee. Who else did you test it on?

@ Jaxas Jaxas This game is a 60 frame per second game, so... You'd have to see exactly when something hits and when we can act out of something (interruptible soon as; IASA) slowed down to 1 frame per sec.
Yeah, that's what I had been expecting; but it looks like I was beaten to the punch!

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I've yet encountered a character that is consistently hit with the utilt. I have no idea which characters it might work more consistently on but I doubt it'll reach any levels of usefulness with anyone, sadly.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Question what is RAR-Bair, BAS, and FCAS, and how do you perform them?
RAR aka Reverse Aerial Rush is a jumping technique that makes you face backwards while running & jumping, maintaining the running momentum.
To do RAR + B-air, you must be running & press the circle pad backwards, & press the jump button as soon as your character is turning around. If you want to RAR in the same direction you were initially running, then hold towards the right & press A to input the B-air. RAR's main purpose is to attack with your Back aerial in front of you, so RAR B-air is very effective.

BAS aka Baby Aura Sphere is just you mashing the B button to shoot a Aura Sphere as soon as you can,.

FCAS aka Fully Charged Aura Sphere is as it sounds, letting your Aura Sphere charge until it reaches the maximum size.

Also welcome to Smashboards:shades:

Last edited:
Top Bottom