• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Aura Warriors, Discover & Master [READ BEFORE MAKING A THREAD]

First Question: Is this Q & A thread decent?

• Yes.

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • No.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Definitely!

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I guess.

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So I know how to wavebounce with AS and ASC. The thing I don't know, is how is this useful in a match? When should I wavebounce in a match?
You can also wavebounce Force Palm, which is great for spacing or when you're upon landing & your opponent expects you to land on one side when suddenly you land behind him & are either close enough to grab him, or you hit with the flame. But back to AS / ASC --

When you go for SH > F-air against an opponent who sits in shield, you can drift past him & as you're behind him, wavebouncing at this instance will ASC right on top of his shield. Basically you can wavebounce the ASC to trap someone in it. Wavebouncing an Aura Sphere you fire I guess would just make your spacing safer due to Aura Sphere having plenty of endlag on it.

Last edited:

blue akirayami

Smash Rookie
Lucarios aerial attacks. Since they are not as dominating would it be at a disadvantage for lucario to be in the air. ( I.e. Marios up throw them u air strings.) Could lucario effectively aerial fight

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
What would y'all say is the most effective way to pull off tilts? I have a tendency to bounce around the controller pretty fast, so when I'm trying to go for a tilt when I'm running for example, I let go of the left stick and then tap A but more often than not I end up doing a dash attack. And when I'm trying to up tilt I more often than not accidentally tap jump. I tried turning this feature off, but I've found tap jumping helps me pull of some moves more effectively. And of course, I also smash attack a lot of the time when I'm trying to do a tilt attack.

Until 1.0.6 was released, I would hold both the left and right stick to do tilt attacks, but they've removed that feature :/

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
What would y'all say is the most effective way to pull off tilts? I have a tendency to bounce around the controller pretty fast, so when I'm trying to go for a tilt when I'm running for example, I let go of the left stick and then tap A but more often than not I end up doing a dash attack. And when I'm trying to up tilt I more often than not accidentally tap jump. I tried turning this feature off, but I've found tap jumping helps me pull of some moves more effectively. And of course, I also smash attack a lot of the time when I'm trying to do a tilt attack.

Until 1.0.6 was released, I would hold both the left and right stick to do tilt attacks, but they've removed that feature :/
It's really just knowing how far to tilt the stick, just keep working at it until you're comfortable with it.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
To be honest, there's no clear cut way to land it. Most of landing b-air is reading the opponent and or just catching them unawares. Pressuring them will help in this regard.
Anyways, I was wondering since Aura sphere charge is multi hit, would be able to eat armor? Say I'm around 90% and Donkey Kong is running around spamming Kong cyclone. Would it be possible to eat through his armor with ASC when the windbox scoops Lucario up or will he just end up getting smacked?

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
To be honest, there's no clear cut way to land it. Most of landing b-air is reading the opponent and or just catching them unawares. Pressuring them will help in this regard.
Anyways, I was wondering since Aura sphere charge is multi hit, would be able to eat armor? Say I'm around 90% and Donkey Kong is running around spamming Kong cyclone. Would it be possible to eat through his armor with ASC when the windbox scoops Lucario up or will he just end up getting smacked?

That move doesnt have armor it has invincibility, you cant get knocked out of it but you will take any damage sustained during it. The only way to attack that move is at the beginning or end.

Venusaur Trainer

Smash Rookie
How do you guys deal with a good Zelda? I reckon the matchup is supposed to be in Lucario's favor, but... Din's fire and Naryu's love deal with both long range (AS, FP) and close range approaches (dash attack, grab, SH aerial), and her teleport is just a pain to deal with, while killing pretty consistently too.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
How do you guys deal with a good Zelda? I reckon the matchup is supposed to be in Lucario's favor, but... Din's fire and Naryu's love deal with both long range (AS, FP) and close range approaches (dash attack, grab, SH aerial), and her teleport is just a pain to deal with, while killing pretty consistently too.
Zelda does not have much of an approach game, so you can use that to your advantage. Bait out her neutral B and punish. If you just run at her with reckless abandon you will have a hard time.

Her teleport is easily shielded and then grabbed if you are on the ground. Just don't overcommit to anything obvious.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I usually try to bait her to make the first move, she's got a great defensive fortress if you let her do it. But if you go offensive, know what risks you can take and know what she can do.

Aka, careful of her Uair/UpB OoS.

You won't get outcamped by din's fire as long as you just shield.

If you get her in the air, don't jump after her right away, she will want to UpB back somewhere and you want to be ready to cover more of her options as much as you can.

Naryu's love is pretty godlike with her in this game, but a lot of it is knowing the timing of the start-up and ending, then punishing it.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Hello, I'm really interested in learning Dog Goku. I hear he is best played aggressively, and I want to pick up a character who thrives more aggressively. Greninja can be played aggressively, but not as well, you have to be more patient and baiting which is fine.

I know he has a high learning curve, so what should I do to start learning him:
-What techs should I know (I know theres a few)
-What match ups should I be aware of
-What are my reliable kills and combos
-Things to be mindful of

It would be helpful if I could know this, I have never tried actually learning another character as a main, just have played some other characters, so I don't really know much on how this will go

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Oh what's up Apostle? I've seen you on stream acouple times before.

Lucario can be played aggressively but only should up to about 50-60% imo, most of his normals are unsafe on shield so lucario really thrives on grab combos and aura sphere to rack up damage, and once he hits high aura you play super defensively trying to keep that stock and take advantage of aura.

Definitely be able to b-reverse consistently it helps you land and once you get good enough at it you can b-reverse int people or their shields to get combos out of the ASC (aura sphere charge). Out of ASC you can jump cancel into up-smash or dair and even some other aerials. You can reverse his counter to come from different sides or counter projectiles and use the invincability as an approach. Definitely practice with Extreme Speed and landing laglessly.

Lucario has mostly good or even match ups- id say ness and fox are pretty tough to handle, and any characters that can kill early, we have good match-ups against those who don't thats why i think we counter sheik to an extent.

Combo are really just up-throw to any aerial the most reliable is fair and you can usually string 2 fairs or fair > uair at low %s. Let's see dtilt > dash attack works well, and nair to dash grab is consistent as well. All combos depend on aura so it takes a bit to get used to. For kills ASC to JC upsmash is the best but he really kills with anything at high %s especially force palm.

Lucario is just one big mix-up because you change your playstyle depending on the aura you have. # 1 rule is don't die so always take advantage of AS and FP projectile hitbox at high %s to keep your opponents away. This is just a drop in the bucket of knowledge so look around these threads for a bit and watch kami or steam on youtube for inspiration.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Yeah I've played tons of friendlies with Kami online and this other really good lucario and they kinda inspired me to play him. Right now I kinda just have a raincheck on lucario for now. Cause I'm doing fine with solo Greninja and he's my favorite character so it feels weird picking up another one and I just haven't gotten the hang of lucario yet but, thanks for the useful info

Marse14456

Smash Rookie
okay so i posted this on another thread and i think it mightve been the wrong one but this seems to be the correct one this time x
D

"Hey im new here! not sure if this would be the right place to ask, but i was watching this youtube vid with a very good lucario in it, and he seemed to cancel his aura sphere charge with no lag, and he was able to act out of it immediately anybody know anything about this? Heres the link to the vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKVV4iqidD0 you can see him use this tech somewhere around 12:30."

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
okay so i posted this on another thread and i think it mightve been the wrong one but this seems to be the correct one this time x
D

"Hey im new here! not sure if this would be the right place to ask, but i was watching this youtube vid with a very good lucario in it, and he seemed to cancel his aura sphere charge with no lag, and he was able to act out of it immediately anybody know anything about this? Heres the link to the vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKVV4iqidD0 you can see him use this tech somewhere around 12:30."
Shield cancelled jump. We know about it and it is fairly basic, but I do like your enthusiasm.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I've been looking at Lucario's Double Team and have been wondering if anybody has found some great edgeguarding applications for it. Since you can control the direction Lucario kicks from, you might be able to hit them hard enough to knock them into the blast zone, or towards the stage for a stage spike. Has anybody had luck doing that?

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
I've been looking at Lucario's Double Team and have been wondering if anybody has found some great edgeguarding applications for it. Since you can control the direction Lucario kicks from, you might be able to hit them hard enough to knock them into the blast zone, or towards the stage for a stage spike. Has anybody had luck doing that?
That's not safe, even thinking about it isn't safe.

The main problem is, if you're the one who needs to recover, doing a DT will mostly kill you. The main problem is that, while you've triggered the DT and preparing to counter, you're still falling. And after a long while you'll be able to react again, maybe too late to reach the edge.

If you're the edge defender, triggering a GROUNDED DT will never get past the edge from where you appear (keep this in mind, since you can counter projectiles from the edge and boost yourself a really long distance). Maaaaaaybe trying a Reverse DT to appear and slide into your foe can hit him, but most of the cases it will be too late to reach him and you'll need to recover now.

It can really net some high style points... but most of the cases is not worth trying it...

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Did anybody ask yet how to land Up-B correctly?

I just don't get which angles cause Lucario to get the most and least lag.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Did anybody ask yet how to land Up-B correctly?

I just don't get which angles cause Lucario to get the most and least lag.
Between 0 and 45 degrees (stage POV) will get you a fast landing provided the hitbox hasn't come out yet. Hitting the stage is still less laggy than falling to it assuming you aren't in tumble. Bouncing off the stage is quite dangerous as well with the default Up-B since your momentum continues.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Does Lucario have any serious weaknesses? When fighting him, I notice he has a ton of cancels and very little endlag on many of his attacks. Kami likes to set me up with me being on the ledge, then charging Aura Sphere and hitting Bair into a kill combo.

Also, is there a list of moves that have the most end-lag and his true aerial auto-cancels?

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Does Lucario have any serious weaknesses? When fighting him, I notice he has a ton of cancels and very little endlag on many of his attacks. Kami likes to set me up with me being on the ledge, then charging Aura Sphere and hitting Bair into a kill combo.

Also, is there a list of moves that have the most end-lag and his true aerial auto-cancels?
For frame data and autocancels check the recent frame data thread.

Lucario's a bit slow (6 frame jab @.@) and is punishable on most whiffs (unless if he has a lot of Aura). His damage output is low at low percents, but his combos mitigates that somewhat.

Ganondorf's Jab does 10%, which is how much a 0% Lucario does with two full jab combos. @ Croi Croi says he's "not even a character until 60%" (I see you lurking, Croi).

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
I remember reading somewhere that Aura has a multiplier that gives him 0.#x Aura, and that he gets 1x Aura at 70%. So he's actively nerfed by the game until he hits 70%.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I remember reading somewhere that Aura has a multiplier that gives him 0.#x Aura, and that he gets 1x Aura at 70%. So he's actively nerfed by the game until he hits 70%.
Lucario confirmed bad character, time to quit.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I don't play Lucario, I was just coming here to check something, but why does the Matchup thread not feature ROB?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Because we are slackers. Now go away or something, too lazy to finish sen

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So I'm finally starting to get the hang of Lucario, which is great, since my local Smashfest runs a tiny stage list that indirectly screws over Robin and having someone who isn't shafted by it is a huge help.

I'm wondering what grabs to use when. Uthrow is clearly the best of them because of how well it strings into aerial followups, but I hear his dthrow also has use. When, though? And do his forward and back throws have any use for positioning, or should I just try to land a Force Palm grab for that?

Croi

Smash Lord
dthrow never has uses, you've been lied to.

At mid-low percents and depending on your aura, bthrow can combo into dash attack, but otherwise both throws are only for getting your opponent offstage.

Slythe

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ixtalis
3DS FC
3222-6332-1769
I've been transitioning from the gamepad / 3DS (offscreen play!) back to the gamecube controller and I realize in Brawl and now SSB4 that I've never thought to use the C-stick for anything.

I figure my options for using the C-stick are smashes or tilts, but what do most people prefer when playing Lucario? Tilts might be easier to execute when pivoting with a C-stick but can I reasonably expect that using the C-stick for smash attacks will let me get them out faster?

I know it's a personal decision on what to use, but I'm interested in hearing what people do on their own setups.

Empire~

s a d b o y s
I figure my options for using the C-stick are smashes or tilts, but what do most people prefer when playing Lucario?
I use it for smashes as it makes mircospacing smashes easier imo. It probably comes down to personal preference though - I've always had it on smash so I'm just used to it. I've changed it to attack a couple of times but it never felt right.

Neiroa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neiroa
I figure my options for using the C-stick are smashes or tilts, but what do most people prefer when playing Lucario?
I use it for tilts, because it's hard for me to do tilts with the analog stick + A when i'm playing fast. Several times I was doing a smash attack instead, while it was not what I wanted. Since I no longer have this problem.

Slythe

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ixtalis
3DS FC
3222-6332-1769
Yes, I'm inclined to agree with @ Neiroa Neiroa ; in the rare instances where I attempt a rushdown using tilts on the c-stick seems like it'll keep my momentum going better. However, when I was experimenting in training mode I found something strange that perhaps someone can explain. If I map the C-Stick to special attacks then execute:

Right+Jump, Right+C-stick left

Lucario shifts left but still has momentum sending him right as he force palms to the right. It seems like this could be useful for spacing, but I'm sure it's possible to execute without mapping the c-stick to special. What technique is this called?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
@ Slythe Slythe There's B-reversing and Wavebouncing. Look up how to do to both, they are really useful for Lucario especially when combined with AS charge.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
I'm new to learning how Lucario works. What are the bread and butter combos I should be using in general? Also, how do you cancel the charging aura into a usmash? Does Lucario have any kill throws (similar to what Ness has)?.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
I'm new to learning how Lucario works. What are the bread and butter combos I should be using in general? Also, how do you cancel the charging aura into a usmash? Does Lucario have any kill throws (similar to what Ness has)?.
Basically his BnBs consist of Up throw into either fair strings or a nair. At low percents, you can go for nair-> dash grab (more effective on fast fallers)/ dash attack if they miss the tech or do Uthrow-> fair-> Up air for more damage. Aura sphere charge into Usmash involves canceling the charge right when someone is caught and then doing canceling a jump out of shield by doing Usmash. Currently the closest thing to a kill throw is B-throw when both characters at high percents and near the ledge.

Top Bottom