• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Aug 22, 2015] EXPosure 22 (Oak Park, IL)

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
What would stop me from throwing my pools matches :p?
Less monetary incentive for the amateur bracket I would imagine, but it'll be interesting how to do it.

Even if the amateur bracket is only 5% of the prize pool of the pro bracket, it's still more money than I'd make going into the pro bracket (which would be 0).

Legitimate concerns imo, but there isn't a way to stop everything I suppose.

Obviously you can implement strict collusion/sandbag rules and all that, but at some points it's hard to tell the difference between someone having a bad game and someone doing it intentionally.

pseudomac

Smash Apprentice
Less monetary incentive for the amateur bracket I would imagine, but it'll be interesting how to do it.

Even if the amateur bracket is only 5% of the prize pool of the pro bracket, it's still more money than I'd make going into the pro bracket (which would be 0).

Legitimate concerns imo, but there isn't a way to stop everything I suppose.

Obviously you can implement strict collusion/sandbag rules and all that, but at some points it's hard to tell the difference between someone having a bad game and someone doing it intentionally.
Or maybe there could just be no pot?

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I personally like the idea of a pot. If the incentive is greater for someone to sandbag and win an amateur bracket and win a small % of the pot instead of actually getting better, then I guess that's their prerogative. If it is EXTREMELY obvious and something happens where like Kels loses to a toddler, a plastic bag, and my Chinese lunch in order to pay his bills by going to amateur bracket, then that's totally collusion and I would assume there would be consequences.

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see these changes! Sorry to be so antagonistic, but the point had to be made

As mentioned, there's still an incentive to sandbag into the Rising Stars bracket, so long as there is a Rising Stars payout. But hey, nothing's perfect! Or at least, most things aren't perfect. So long as the Rising Stars payout is small enough, most strong players would prefer to lose some money playing good people than to win some $tomping $crubs.

Also, "Rising Stars" sounds super tacky. I know that "Amateur" has negative connotations and the term "Rising Stars" is mostly a marketing thing. But seriously, "Rising Stars"? Say that aloud 10 times and try not to feel silly.

Last edited:

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Also, "Rising Stars" sounds super tacky. I know that "Amateur" has negative connotations and the term "Rising Stars" is mostly a marketing thing. But seriously, "Rising Stars"? Say that aloud 10 times and try not to feel silly.
Name change suggestions have been made... Rising Ponies (by JbrockPony), Rising Scrubs (by DeliciousOctorok), Rising Boners (by HarryTHELEGENDARYGODChin).

B.W.

Smash Champion
I was a rising star once.

I think it was in elementary school.

But really the name Rising Star is fine, though if people have problems being called amateurs then boo-****ing-hoo. Being an amateur isn't even a bad thing it should just be incentive to practice more.

snex

Smash Master
What would stop me from throwing my pools matches :p?
the fact that the rising stars bracket gets a lower pot. now, let's say you figure, "well i cant beat kels anyway, so i will throw my pools and win $x instead of $0" - BUT every other player with only a tiny chance of winning the pro bracket will be thinking the same thing, and suddenly you no longer have a guaranteed win. basically the pot split can be done such that the odds always you favor playing your best. people who choose to sandbag will lose money over time by doing so. the exact payouts can be worked out mathematically.

snex

Smash Master
i still live in bridgeport but thursday doesnt work for me. ill be at the wavedash wednesday tonight at EXP though

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
well no matter what these brackets and pools look like i should be there.i just want to play more, try to get better and just have some f***ing fun...its a shame that this conversation even dragged on this long...it wouldnt matter anyway since HarryTheChin would just dominate both brackets...also if u do decide to give it a name, that Rising Boners name is a pretty good one.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I just noticed Melee and Brawl on separate days.

Welp, I'll see if I can work out staying somewhere otherwise I'll have to pick a day.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I won't be able to make it in time for PM Singles/Pools on Saturday due to work (that's 2 EXPosures in a row I have missed) :'(

But I'll still be going out there both days to see how everyone does and get in some friendlies/money matches maybe lol.
WELP forgot to register, not going.
Perhaps next month? :3

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Dayum, I'm in a pool with a dude who wrecked me and my friend in our first Doubles bracket. Revenge time. My tag is Kumatora btw if anyone here recognizes me.
Haha, gotta get that JPal revenge.

If you need any help for the Link match-up just let me know :)

王女 クマトラ

Outta my way, dammit!
NNID
ChieSatonaka
Haha, gotta get that JPal revenge.

If you need any help for the Link match-up just let me know :)
Man, considering how good you are I viewed you as some scary dude, although practically no one is in the Smash community as it turns out. I'll definitely have to ask for some friendlies, because Link is pretty much my worst match up, as much as I've practiced it.

Top Bottom