• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Aug 2, 2015] Let's Go Kyle - SSBM & SSB4 Regional ft. Weon-X, idea, SAUS,... (Sudbury, Ontario)

Chirka

Smash Journeyman

Sudbury's Smash scene is humbled to announce it's partnership with Even Matchup Gaming in presenting to you "Let's Go Kyle". A Super Smash Bros. Melee and Wii U tournament on Sunday August 2nd, held at the Radisson Hotel.

PLEASE, NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK

***** Events & Fees *****

Venue Fee - $15 (Must be paid to enter)
Melee Singles - $10 entry
Melee Doubles - $20 entry (per team)
Wii U Singles - $10 entry
Wii U Doubles - $20 entry (per team)

Melee Singles: Round Robin Pools (all Bo3), top 16/32 make it into a Double Elimination Bracket (All Bo3 until Top 5)
Wii U Singles: Round Robin Pools (all Best of 3), top 16 make it into a Double Elimination Bracket (All Bo3 until Top 3)
Melee & Wii U Doubles: Double Elimination Bracket

***** Schedule *****

9:00am - Venue opens. Registration begins and will be done at the doors.
10:00am - Registration for Singles events closes
11:00am - Smash 4 Pools + Melee Pools Wave 1
12:30pm - Melee Pools Wave 2 + Registration for Doubles events closes
1:30pm - Smash 4 Doubles Bracket
2:00pm - Melee Doubles Bracket
3:30pm - Smash 4 Singles Bracket
5:00pm - Melee Singles Bracket

Stream Schedule & Link http://www.twitch.tv/nickelcitygaming2

11:00am - Melee Pools
2:00pm - Melee Doubles to end
3:30pm or After Melee Doubles - Smash 4 Singles Bracket
6:00pm or After Smash 4 Singles - Melee Singles until end

***** Tournament Rules *****

Melee - http://smashboards.com/rulesets/melee/
Smash Wii U Singles - http://smashnexus.com/player-guide/singles-tournament/
Smash Wii U Doubles - http://smashnexus.com/player-guide/doubles-tournament/
NOTE- **Swap stage Town&City with Dreamland for starters/counter-picks, NO Kongo or Miiverse**

-Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counter pick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

-Singles Top 5 will be paid out (Top 8 if there's 70+ entrants). Doubles Top 4 will be paid out

1st - 50%
2nd - 25%
3rd -15%
4th - 5%
5th - 2.5% x2

1st - %50
2nd - %25
3rd - %15
4th - %10

***** Transportation & Housing *****

Busing to town: Northland or Greyhound offer transportation - www.ontarionorthland.ca or https://www.greyhound.ca
Once in town, any inbound bus will bring you to the downtown terminal. Venue is next to the Bus Depot.

If anyone happens to be flying in for this event travel info can be found here - http://www.flysudbury.ca/flysudbury/

The venue is a Hotel and rooms are available. Prices vary by day so book in advance. Booking information : Call 1 705 675 1123 or visit http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Rev...ury-Sudbury_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html

Parking on Sunday is free. Either receive a parking pass from the hotel lobby to park out front, or the parking garage above the hotel is free as well without a pass.

***** Other Important Information *****

- Please respect each other, the venue, and set-ups. This event should be enjoyable for everyone
- There's an ATM at the venue's main entrance.
- Bring your own controller!!! (NO WIRELESS CONTROLLERS)
- Again note, NO outside food or drinks. Water and pop will be available at the venue and there will be plenty of time to leave and eat. There's a restaurant inside the venue (Open 6:30am - 2:00pm. & 5:00pm - 10:00pm)
- Facebook Event Page - https://www.facebook.com/events/1608315602784616/
- Be sure to like EMG at www.facebook.com/evenmatchupgaming and also subscribe to www.youtube.com/evenmatchupgaming

Last edited:

DaPurpleDrank

Smash Rookie
No wireless controllers applies to ones you need to use an adapter to connect to the system, correct? my normal setup is a controller attached through a wiimote

Chirka

Smash Journeyman
No wireless controllers applies to ones you need to use an adapter to connect to the system, correct? my normal setup is a controller attached through a wiimote
The only reason wireless controllers are frowned upon is because at a larger scale event like this, someone forgetting to remove batteries/ disconnect their controller can possibly conflict with other matches later on on. You would be at risk of disqualification if something like this occurred and its just easier to not worry about this being an issue. You can borrow someone's GC controller if needed too.

DaPurpleDrank

Smash Rookie
Alrighty. I knew that was a rule, but it definitely sounds like bringimg a wireless controller IS a hassle for everyone. Thanks for the heads up. First tourney, just wanna iron out the details

Jimster

Smash Cadet
Alrighty. I knew that was a rule, but it definitely sounds like bringimg a wireless controller IS a hassle for everyone. Thanks for the heads up. First tourney, just wanna iron out the details
The only reason wireless controllers are frowned upon is because at a larger scale event like this, someone forgetting to remove batteries/ disconnect their controller can possibly conflict with other matches later on on. You would be at risk of disqualification if something like this occurred and its just easier to not worry about this being an issue. You can borrow someone's GC controller if needed too.
Wait we cannot use 3ds as a controller either? I always use 3ds as a controller in tourneys... I just can't get used to how gamecube controller feels and the distance between X/Y to B button. As a Zelda player I'm much more used to how circle pad can easily aim at all angles while when using GC controllers I'll often somehow slide to one of the 8 angles and sometimes commit SD at most important times.... Please allow the use of wireless controllers. Even if any interference to a game will cause disqualification, I'll accept it.

Jimster

Smash Cadet
When the facebook event page first came out, I carefully checked the rules to see if there was anything about wireless/3DS controllers, and found no information. When I confirmed with Kyle, Kyle's original response was "I think it is, check with one of the summit TOs though". Because the rules noted that the tournament will follow Summit rules. I tried to confirm with one of the summit TOs but received no feedback. So I carefully read through the summit rules page, googled additional Summit rules and FAQs and "wireless controller is not allowed" was not even a thing. Then I was assured and started preparing for this event... And now I see this new rule saying wireless controllers are banned.... How can I just accept this?

Jimster

Smash Cadet
Here is a quote from the singles rules page:
http://smashnexus.com/player-guide/singles-tournament/

"
  • Controllers: Alternate or custom controllers/adapters are allowed. WiiPad, due to how expensive the pad is, is banned. Any illegal modifications to controllers (Turbo, Macro, etc) are banned, and are liable to get you DISQUALIFIED.
    • Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in and the remote interferes with another match they are subject to be DISQUALIFIED.
    • Any malfunctions or errors associated with your controller are your responsibility, so make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of a controller problem.
"

The original rules does not ban wireless controllers, so doesn't most major sm4sh events. Players who don't use gamecube controllers are still players, just like everyone else. Banning wireless controllers is clearly affecting these player's reaction time, normal play style and gameplay, putting them into disadvantage.

If the concern is the possibility of interfering a next game, it should not be much of an issue.

First of all, in any medium or large scale tournament, players rarely play on the same setup consecutively, 3ds users will more than likely close up the 3ds to save battery as there is no point keeping it on at all after a game and the 3ds will probably connect to a different setup soon.

Second of all, it is not hard for a player to take off batteries from a Wiimote!!!!! Literally takes less than 10 seconds and only 2 seconds for 3ds users to tap "Disconnct", what is the big deal?

Third of all, how many players are using wireless controllers anyways? For all the sm4sh tourneys I have been to in Sudbury, I have been the only player who uses a wireless controller. Let's say a third of the other players are all using wireless controllers, is it that difficult to make sure less than 7 players know what they need to do after every match?

Finally, even if something really happens and a game is being interfered. This player is then disqualified. Time to do some meth math here:

Let's say EVERYONE WHO USES WIRELESS CONTROLLERS FORGETS TO DISCONNECT, that gives a totally of 7 games, 7 sad boys leaving the tourney and from now on they will know what to do. And that interrupts 7 games, the these 7 games must be played again. Let's assume that every single game is interrupted at exactly 6 minutes, which is the time limit of the games, this takes 7 times 6, 42 extra minutes for the tournament!

Wait a minute, there is more: the 7 disqualified player cannot play anymore matches. If all of these 7 players are in loser's bracket, and will lose the next game, that saves us exactly 7 matchs, 7 times 6, 42 minutes! What if they are not supposed to lose the next match? Oh I guess that we save a bit more time for every single match that they are supposed to play then.

So overall, I don't see how we have a such a big problem with wireless controllers that we must stop any play who uses wireless controller from PLAYING AS THEY NORMALLY DO.

Top Bottom