• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 16, 2014] Toasted Ravs 5 (St. Louis, MO)

darkatma

Smash Hero

This will be St. Louis's 5th tournament in the series Toasted Ravs! A fun, casual tournament for locals and traveling smashers to gather.

Schedule:

10:00 AM – Doors Open, Registration Begins
11:00 AM - Registration for PM Singles/Melee Doubles closes
11:30 AM – PM pool play begins
12:30 – Melee Doubles begins
12:30 - Registration for Melee Singles/PM Doubles closes
1:30 - Begin Melee Pools (Doubles will still continue, but those who are finished will begin their pool matches)
2:30 - PM Single bracket starts
5:00 - Dinner Break (you can leave for dinner as soon as you're done with pools, but be back by 6 for bracket. You will know if you're in bracket before you leave for dinner)
6:00 - Melee Singles Bracket starts.
6:30 - Estimated PM Singles Finals
7:00 - PM Doubles Bracket starts.
9:00 - Estimated melee finals matches.
10:00 - Estimated PM Doubles finals matches.
11:00 – Clean up time
12:00 - Go home or to Uncle Bill's pancakes.

Fees:
Venue Fee = $5
Stream Fee = $2
Melee Doubles = $20/team ($10/person)
Melee Singles = $10
PM Doubles = $20/team ($10/person)
PM Singles = $10

Payouts:

<10 entrants (teams) {1st = 70% 2nd = 30%}
<35 entrants {1st = 60%; 2nd = 30%; 3rd = 10%}
35-59 entrants {1st = 50%; 2nd = 25%; 3rd = 15%; 4th = 10%}
60-100 entrants {1st =40%; 2nd = 25%; 3rd = 15%; 4rd = 10%; both 5ths = 5%}

A couple things to highlight:
  • Venue fee is waived for bringing a full setup.
  • TV's will be labeled by Game (PM or Melee), then by number. Most likely, your setup will be used for your preferred game.
  • We may set a streaming fee ($2 max). We need to have a person paid to sit there to manage the streaming set up. It will be much higher quality this time, so it will be worth your money. All GF's will be streamed.
Ruleset for Melee Singles & Doubles:
Double Elimination Style
  • All sets are best of 3 matches except Winner's/Loser's Finals, Semis, and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.
  • 4 stock, 8:00-minute timer
  • Items OFF
  • Friendly Fire ON for doubles
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • Wobbling is legal.
  • Stalling with Jigglypuff's infinite sleep or Peach's Wall Bomber are NOT banned.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action.
  • Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
  • Choosing a character: In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, do a double-blind pick using either a neutral 3rd party or a piece of paper.

Stage strike: from the neutral (non-counterpick) stages for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
  1. RPS for first stage ban.
  2. First player strikes one stage.
  3. Second player strikes the next two stages.
  4. First player strikes one stage/picks remaining stage.

Stagelist for Singles:
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium

Stagelist for Doubles:
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

After each match:
  1. Winner announces stage ban (no bans in BO5's)
  2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
  3. Winner chooses their character
  4. Loser chooses their character

General Gameplay Rules:
  • BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  • Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
  • Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.
  • DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up after their match is called before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
  • Absolutely no game hacks that affect the actual gameplay. You may use them for friendly setups, but please revert it to normal melee for tournament matches.

General Info and Venue Rules:
The office space you are looking for specifically is the "Tupperware" one. It's hard to miss, and very pink. Please don't walk into the Russian/Israeli Combat studio by mistake. It will be the worst mistake of your life.

Please park in the gravel lot on the south side (Northrup Ave side) of the building. DO NOT park in the Russian/Israeli Combat spots...

Please bring your own food if you plan on eating in the venue. Don't eat the food or ice cream in the fridge. But you may buy soda or the Keurig coffees that are available in the kitchen. 50 cents for soda, $1 per coffee. Honor system.

There are plenty of good restaurants around. If you're tired of the craziness, take a break and have a nice candlelit Italian dinner at Favazza's with your gamer bro or something. Lots of good food in the area. If you're not local to STL, check out "The Hill" online if you're interested.

Please respect this space and the commercial lot that it is on. Most of the other businesses that work within the lot don't come in on weekends, but avoid doing illegal activities in plain view or in closets, bathrooms, etc... The place is owned by a landlord who frequents the location, so let's avoid trouble so we can continue using this space.

We will be streaming this time, and the internet is newly installed, and much faster! Anyone else is also welcome to bring their recording setup in addition.

Please RSVP!! And bring set ups and CRT TV's! Venue fee is waived if you bring a full setup. And bring friends! Plenty of space here. Thanks.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Darkatma, can you add the Midwest tag to the thread? Also, to clarify, the OP says that semis are Bo5 - that means both WS and the one LS, right?

Also, here are the PM rules that we'll be using for this tournament:[collapse=PM Ruleset]PM Ruleset
Set Rules and Format
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* Double elimination. Best of 3 for all sets except Winner's Semis, Loser's Semis, Winners’ Finals, Losers’ Finals, and Grand Finals matches, which will be best of 5 format.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Starter stages: Battlefield, Dream Land 64, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smashville, and Yoshi's Story (Melee)
* Counter-pick Stages: Yoshi’s Island (Brawl), Lylat Cruise, Wario Ware, Green Hill Zone, and Skyworld
* Banned Stages: Top row of the stage select screen, Pokemon Stadium 1, and Skyloft
* First stage is decided by banning from the Starter Stages in P1-P2-P2-P1-P1-P2 order.
* Following stages decided by winner banning 2 stages and then loser choosing.
* Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.
* You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.

Other Rules
* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
* If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.
* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump).
* Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.[/collapse]Also, is there enough interest to run a PM Doubles event?

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
count me in be my 2nd tournament I've gone to

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
hey I do have a question on PM I'm sorry to ask I'm still new to the tournament scene but will any characters be banned here I know some characters are sometimes banned at the brawl tournaments

metroid1117

Smash Master
hey I do have a question on PM I'm sorry to ask I'm still new to the tournament scene but will any characters be banned here I know some characters are sometimes banned at the brawl tournaments
Only Giga Bowser is banned from PM tournaments, PM is generally considered to be more balanced than Brawl.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Only Giga Bowser is banned from PM tournaments, PM is generally considered to be more balanced than Brawl.
alright that's good to know I tend to use the more heavy hitting characters as my mains like bowser, ddd, and ganon so figured I'd still ask

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I'll probably be here, but I might have prior obligations that weekend. Will confirm later.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
well i mean, idk what the other Springfield guys are doing 100% yet (the Rolens bros. are driving together) and I'm not 100% on whether or not I'm driving down Friday or early Saturday

but afaik, if I'm driving it's just us

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
yeah I'm driving all the way from Wentzville myself

Tomacawk

Smash Master
well i mean, idk what the other Springfield guys are doing 100% yet (the Rolens bros. are driving together) and I'm not 100% on whether or not I'm driving down Friday or early Saturday

but afaik, if I'm driving it's just us
yo the serpentine belt on my car broke, and with my phone bill coming up, I have 2 unanticipated expenses that have run me clean atm. i may not be able to come at all now, as in afford the entry fee, let alone gas. i'll keep you updated but wanted you to know asap there's a good shot i won't come at all now

****in bummer but that's the way she goes

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I'm making sure my wii mote is charge this time so it does not die out at the beginning of the tournament XD

Xubble

Smash Ace
Maaaaan, I almost bought a CRT a week ago. And I thought, "Well, when would I ever use it?"

Go figure I find out about this tourney yesterday. I MIGHT show up. And if I do, I have my GCN/Melee and Wii/PM setups. Just not the CRT. :X

Also, is the riot fiasco going to have any effect on the tourney? Proximity to venue, etc.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Maaaaan, I almost bought a CRT a week ago. And I thought, "Well, when would I ever use it?"

Go figure I find out about this tourney yesterday. I MIGHT show up. And if I do, I have my GCN/Melee and Wii/PM setups. Just not the CRT. :X

Also, is the riot fiasco going to have any effect on the tourney? Proximity to venue, etc.
I think we will be safe who would go after a bunch of nerds playing smash bros lol

Xubble

Smash Ace
I mean if anyone's outside or doing other things in the area (food, etc.). Obviously being inside the venue will be fine.

Also, confirmed to go!

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I mean if anyone's outside or doing other things in the area (food, etc.). Obviously being inside the venue will be fine.

Also, confirmed to go!
sweet can't wait to see ya and I'm bring my own food so I should be alright bring my 3ds as well so if anyone wants to exchange friend codes I'll be able to ^_^

Xubble

Smash Ace
I'll bring mine along. Got Pokemon X and MK7 if anyone's interested in playing some of that.

Also, is the venue open before 10:00? I don't know if I should be arriving right at 10 or sooner for some friendlies.

I learned how to read now. See you all there! I'll be the guy in the Konami code shirt if you wanna say hey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom