• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Auckland, NZ Melee Players?

Toomad

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there are any smashers in Auckland NZ who would be keen to play some games? I picked the game back up after watching The Smash Brothers. Currently me and my flatmate jam the game most days, my brothers play as well.

I play Doc, flatty plays Samus, brothers plays Falco/Luigi and Yoshi.

I found a facebook group and applied to join, but that was last year and I still haven't heard anything about it, even after messaging the admin directly, so I thought I'd look here.

Toomad

Smash Rookie
I haven't really heard anything from anyone. But if any kiwis (around Auckland area) find this thread via google, hit me up, I'm super keen to have more people to play against.

Edit: Also, sorry for bumping this in the Aussie forum. I feel like Kiwis are more likely to look here than in International. Wish we had enough presence to merit this being an "Australasia" forum :p

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
flights are ~$230 return from melbourne to christchurch during may, run a hueg tourney imo
nz holiday WEEEEE

UrAContra

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm located in Auckland as well and play Project M and Melee. I main Marth/Falco. Do you do netplay?

Last edited:

Toomad

Smash Rookie
Hey mate, just saw this, I'll send you a PM as well. Don't netplay yet as I don't have an adaptor for the GC controller (got one on order), but I do have Dolphin set up and ready to go. If you're keen for a game perhaps we can link up sometime? Are you in the central city?

Splice

Smash Hero
I don't know much about it but the connection through Dolphin seems pretty stable.
I'm unsure how big of an issue the distance from NZ to Vic would be but if you guys want to try it I am using Dolphin 4.0-648
If it works and the connection is decent, you'd have a lot more options for playing melee against people whenever you fancy.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
used to be a small community in christchurch, circa 2011, you will probably get a 70~100 ping between auckland melbourne/sydney so thats 5-9 frames of delay (prolly around 7) which is playable .

Splice

Smash Hero
used to be a small community in christchurch, circa 2011, you will probably get a 70~100 ping between auckland melbourne/sydney so thats 5-9 frames of delay (prolly around 7) which is playable .
And when it's not 'playable', there is always Peach :p

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
I've tried modding my wii for NTSC Brawl to play PM but it keeps stuffing up when i'm installing WiiMod. Now the lock slider on my SD Card has fallen off so I'm completely stuffed :(

I would feel ****ty to join the group just to ask for a copy of melee. lol. Out of curiousity how big is the Melbourne scene? The biggest group is Aus is in Queensland, right?

Bu$

HoC
I've tried modding my wii for NTSC Brawl to play PM but it keeps stuffing up when i'm installing WiiMod. Now the lock slider on my SD Card has fallen off so I'm completely stuffed :(

I would feel ****ty to join the group just to ask for a copy of melee. lol. Out of curiousity how big is the Melbourne scene? The biggest group is Aus is in Queensland, right?
The biggest scene in Aus is the Melbourne one. Our most recent tournament Mile Warehouse had 66 entrants i think.

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Ok. Btw, where would be the best place to download NTSC Brawl? Do I have to torrent it somewhere or is there a DDL option

Dekar289

Smash Hero
it's COOL not to discuss ROM sites on smashboards
oh that's for melee... w/e, you should be downloading that instead

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
lmao ^^^^^^

But yeah, no discussion of where to illegally download ROMs, ty ty

Out of curiousity how big is the Melbourne scene? The biggest group is Aus is in Queensland, right?
I would say it's probably Victoria > QLD since I think their scene is just a bit bigger.

Last edited:

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Wouldn't getting illegal ROMs be really common though? I'd imagine it would be hard to find copies of the game nowadays as it's 13 years old.

redtie

Smash Rookie
Hey wow I'm glad I googled smash melee players Christchurch. UC Gaming will be running a Melee tournament on May 22 on campus at Bentleys bar.

I'll make the official announcement in a few weeks
https://www.facebook.com/UCGamingGuild

Sorry for hi jacking the thread!

smoz

Smash Rookie
Another South Auckland Falcon, neat!

Me and a friend of mine are in Manurewa and would be pretty keen if you'd like to play sometime

Top Bottom