• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attract New Faces to your smash scene/community - Flyers/Posters

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
I actually find that most of the people at York University are only interested in Smash64. Although the anime club holds brawl tourneys with 4 man timed matches and seven stock finals...with items.

Nito LR

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nito_LR
i feel this is a great way to reach people. i already know alot of people in my area that play smash but wanna bring new faces and get more of my people to take smash more seriously. i know in future i plan on running my own tournament

Hot Toffee

Smash Rookie
Hi! Just joined Smashboards, but I organize Brawl tournaments at my university and have had lots of success with posters and flyers. I would be willing to post them here if anyone is interested?

It was mentioned earlier that new people are often either too scared to play in tournament or end up getting destroyed. After my first event, I split the tournament into a beginner bracket and an advanced bracket. This requires more work, but any tournament would with more participants. We also got positive results and feedback. More beginners enjoyed themselves, came back next time, and left motivated to improve after playing people of similar skill.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I go to a relatively small campus, and I am a Melee player. I came up with a format for a tournament that had an okay turnout (I didn't organize or advertise, I just came up with the format). There was much positive feedback. Basically, the two people chose a game out of Melee, Brawl and 64. If they both chose the same game it would just be a Bo3 for that game, but if they chose different ones (say I chose Melee and they chose 64) they would choose the stage for Melee and we would play that one and I would choose the stage for 64 and we would play that one (order really doesn't matter much), and if it was 1-1 then the remaining game would be played on the unchosen game (in this case Brawl). If you have the setups this is a fun way to just play Smash cuz you enjoy it and get away from the elitist attitude that Brawl and Melee players seem to have about their respective games while 64 is forgotten (I still love 64 guys).

Regardless of competition level, even if I just wreck on my main game Melee, if I am not that good at Brawl or 64 I would just lose anyway (unless both competitors chose Melee). This would obviously work best if there was a competitor for each game in the tournament, but I don't have that luxery. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

TIA.18

Smash Rookie
As well as attracting players, how does one successfully fully create enough hype that ppl just want to come watch?

Xaseera

Smash Rookie
Great idea honestly! I took some of this info and plan on applying it to my tournaments to bring new players into our community as well.

HonestThtr

Smash Rookie
Great post. I've always been what I considered a 'casual' smash player because I've always lived in small towns that didn't have much of a community for tournaments or the like. I moved to Chicago two years ago, and I have some friends who started a theatre company and they are doing a fundraiser at Geek Bar in Wicker Park. I suggested they try a Melee tournament at it, and they decided to do it! So I told them I'd get on the smashboards and try to peak interest for them. You can find some info for it at

https://www.facebook.com/events/487056281441716/

I'll try to find better information for it over the next couple of days. Price of entry is a little steep, but you get a lot of other stuff with it.

Top Bottom