• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attract New Faces to your smash scene/community - Flyers/Posters

LLDL

Smash Hero
I was thinking about how our community primarily revolves around old faces and was thinking of ways to attract newcomers. Now, I know that new faces appear at tourneys and sign up to smashboards every once in a while, but for the most part turnouts are the same faces at each event.

Potential new members of the community usually find their way to tournaments by searching the internet, they are directed to smashboards, and they go to their first event. However, Smash is a much bigger game outside the competitive community than inside. I believe there are hundreds of kids/adults,in your area, that have no idea about smashboards or that tournaments are listed online or any of that stuff, but smash (Melee or Brawl) is their favorite game and they play and practice a lot with friends and on Wi-Fi.

True, they probably don't know any advanced techniques, but they are probably beast at the game in their own, right and just need to come to a tournament to spark their activity in the community. It's all about potential. For example, Mango is our best Melee player. He got that way by becoming part of the community, but he as a person had the potential all along. His potential combined with being a part of this community and his experience all factor into him being the best. However, I believe that there are human beings out there that have limitless potential, higher than any current smasher in our community. That doesn't translate to skill, but there are potential people that are just smarter, have better reaction time, more creative and could just surpass mango and the other pro smashers if given the opportunity.

That's why I was thinking a simple flyer here and there could bring many potential faces to the smash scene.

We can't just post flyers everywhere willy nilly as that's kind of illegal.
What you can do, is just ask the owner of your venue if you can post a flyer on the front window of the building a couple weeks in advance. We can leave them on the desks in the lobby on campus. I guarantee people will notice, and take interest. Whether or not they show up depends on how many people saw the advertisement, but I guarantee a "competitive" smash player who sees it will want to come upon seeing the words. Super Smash Bros TOURNAMENT, and that they see its a location close to them.

If we all started doing this, I think we could start seeing bigger turnouts soon. What do you think?

Here are example posters that I made in Microsoft Publisher. You can download them edit it them with your own tournament information. The format is simple, it has the game's logo big in the front: this is what will attract potential player to the poster. Then there is location, entry fees, prize information, date, and rules. This is the ideal format if you wanted to attract a smasher if at all. A new smasher who wants to come for fun may be intimidated by seeing all of the rules. That's why I would just put the basic ruleset on the flyer, and the other rules can be explained to them when they arrive.

Of course you can make your own, but if you're lazy and/or like this format better you can use mine, just a suggestion.

Download .DOC
Download .PUB

Download .DOC
Download .PUB

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I wish we still had the rep system...

Good post. Flyers and posters are definitely a good way to get new faces at your tournaments.
However, you need to be aware for what you can do to keep them coming in.
At first you'd get some new faces, but what is to say they'll return? If they just get stomped out.. nothing.

tl;dr -
Put up flyers and posters
Run pools at all events and don't give unknown players the hardest pools

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of this topic title with your username in it.

Attract New Faces to your smash scene/community with Violence.

Nice Idea. From my luck, casual gamers/Smashers are so afraid of losing, they never go to any tournaments at my college. But when I advertise a Smashfest, I get results. One time, I put up 5 fliers in my dorm and got 5 random people to join in for a Smashfest. People at my college are so afraid of losing, and entering a tournament to them probably means being labeled as the worst player. I think this might apply to other colleges as well. Don't rush new players in.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I just convert Brawl players to Melee.

Then they're like lolBrawl.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I am glad you made this topic dude. I'm going to make a few flyers, and these suggestions are great. : D

Banks

Smash Hero
I once saw a group of people playing melee in my dorms common room, and I asked if I could play. Once I got down there with my controller I said I would give any of them $50 if they could beat me once, but they had to let me turn off items and crap like that.

So, my main goal of just playing back to back while they tooks turn on their own console was acheived (lol), but more importantly they thought it was insane how good i was/bad they got destroyed, and all the crap I was doing. I played the same people a few times throughout that year, and other frat bros/college dudes walked by clearly interested and some even asked to play. Those guys definitely tried to get better to come back and not get *****. One guy even would stay after everyone left reallllly trying to understand why he couldn't win. And best of all, the guy who owned the wii they were using decided to run a tournament, without me suggesting it.

So the point of this post is that I've found that playing with people you know are into games in the first place, the way competibros play, will more often than not make them want to learn how to be good or at least get better. Offering money usually guarantees they will play for a while lmao

although you are far more likely to find people who play brawl rather than melee nowadays =(

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
Many thank yous friend, I just might have to head over to Kinkos when I get home and print some of these bad boys and scatter them around town.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I once saw a group of people playing melee in my dorms common room, and I asked if I could play. Once I got down there with my controller I said I would give any of them $50 if they could beat me once, but they had to let me turn off items and crap like that.

So, my main goal of just playing back to back while they tooks turn on their own console was acheived (lol), but more importantly they thought it was insane how good i was/bad they got destroyed, and all the crap I was doing. I played the same people a few times throughout that year, and other frat bros/college dudes walked by clearly interested and some even asked to play. Those guys definitely tried to get better to come back and not get *****. One guy even would stay after everyone left reallllly trying to understand why he couldn't win. And best of all, the guy who owned the wii they were using decided to run a tournament, without me suggesting it.

So the point of this post is that I've found that playing with people you know are into games in the first place, the way competibros play, will more often than not make them want to learn how to be good or at least get better. Offering money usually guarantees they will play for a while lmao

although you are far more likely to find people who play brawl rather than melee nowadays =(
Remember though that Brawl is advertised more than Melee. Can you blame some people who play brawl and don't know about melee?

Sure go ahead and blame the ones that do know of it and will NEVER touch it. lol jk

LLDL

Smash Hero
I just put whatever was on the top of my head for the examples. You can edit them freely with Microsoft Word or Microsoft Publisher, or you can upload to docs.google.com and change to your liking. I probably just forgot FoD.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I double checked the rules with my rules... lol had to re-print stuff.

Well 7 or 8 doesn't matter, but I guess 8 is recommended. But it says seven on yours. : ]

Didn't see anything there about life stealing or team attack being on. :p

I think that's about it, besides FoD and PS missing from the stages. :p

Yeah it's kool, thats the only things people might need to add on.

I should upload it to google docs. : 3

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Amazing find!! I'm gonna use this setup for my upcoming tourney flyers. I'll post a pic here of what it looks like when I'm done creating it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Actually we should flood college campuses with this ****.

Ur bound to get a few faces. and its relatively low cost.

Good **** man

Renth

Smash Hero

Isn't brawl the sequel to melee that's supposed to be coming out in early 2011? Man.. I cannot wait for that game. Melee was so good I can only imagine how great this ones going to be!

rapidtransit247

Smash Cadet
This is exactly what I was looking for. I put up a couple flyers in my dorm and have found several undercover smashers who have come out of hiding to attend tournaments. I think this is exactly what the community needs: more awareness. Get out there. Spread the word. Get at the kids.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
I think posters could also work to get to people who don't know Smash. Not by promoting a tournament or anything too scary, but promote the smashboards. With an eyecatcher image of the community cheering or from a match (maybe with even a ref to an epic video)...
If you get more new people looking at the boards...
That's what triggered my interest in Melee.

And UsurperKingZant (big name) is right about promoting smashfests this way. Way more fun for new people instead of getting ***** in a tournament.

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
I think posters could also work to get to people who don't know Smash. Not by promoting a tournament or anything too scary, but promote the smashboards. With an eyecatcher image of the community cheering or from a match (maybe with even a ref to an epic video)...
If you get more new people looking at the boards...
That's what triggered my interest in Melee.

And UsurperKingZant (big name) is right about promoting smashfests this way. Way more fun for new people instead of getting ***** in a tournament.
Unless your me and look forward to getting 4 stocked.

Linkslapsyomama

Smash Apprentice
I'm,gonna try using flyers cause I've hosted 2 already and i got lots of peoples from power ranks showing up without flyers so i guess what im doing is working

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
So I made some CoT5 posters based off of this and put em around campus and it already got a new signup literally an hour after i put em out

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Thanks for the flyers and ideas, man. Been trying to raise awareness and get more players interested in my town.

donny!

Smash Cadet
I just found out how to use smashboards to find tournaments, and i just missed a tournament, which was literally less than 30mins from my house!!!!! :mad:

Hopefully it will run again, any advice for my first tournament? dont worry, i wavedash/waveland JC all my grabs, L cancel everything, but i have noo idea what to expect, are the smashers usually welcoming, or do they just compete like crazy then take your money?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Nah they're welcoming. You will be surprised by how good they are though. Just try your best, and use tournaments as means to keep getting better.

xx7king7xx

Smash Rookie
Played my first tournament and I got ***** lol sucks but I've only playing melee not even atleast a year competevetely.and it sucks I wish I had more experience I know I can get better if I had more experience :/

:phone:

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
OMG I suck pretty bad considering I'm new to the competetive scene but I'm deffinately gonna be hosting one soon :)

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Tried putting flyers around my campus to advertise melee and even got a few people to come out of the woodwork that were kinda alright at smash. Only problem was that the campus tore down all my posters and sent an email to the one I listed on the poster saying that I wasn't allowed to put those up and if I did again, they'd charge me with a misdemeanor LOL

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
^ Wtf that seems like a really strange reaction, I see posters for video game tournaments at the University of Washington all the time.

Top Bottom