• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTN TOs: Try promoting your tournaments on reddit!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
In late June I started to promote reddit as a way to promote the Smash community among the general gaming community that browses the internet. The SSB subreddit, r/smashbros, has been growing steadily and just reached its 400th subscriber today. Most of the subscribers seem to be people familiar with the competitive scene who aren't directly involved, and this is exactly what I was hoping for - an opportunity get these players involved in our scene.

Promoting stuff on reddit should be really easy (simply post a link to your smashboards thread following the guidelines under the rules section), but you have to be wise about how you go about doing it if you aren't familiar with the site. Regardless of votes, a submission will fall off of the front page after about a day unless there's not enough newly posted content to bump it. This is currently the case with r/smashbros (stuff stays on the front page for about 2 weeks), but I'd still advise against posting a link to a tournament more than a month in advance unless it's something with registration deadlines. You can't bump old material and you also can't repost something that was already submitted. You can, however, make a text post with the link to your tournament, as a way of reminding subscribers about your tournament as it draws closer.

Another thing that TOs should consider doing is submitting a link to your tournament's livestream and/or video thread. Doing that should help draw in players unfamiliar with the competitive scene. International TOs should get involved too. reddit has a large international userbase and I'm sure a large handful of the r/smashbros subscribers aren't from North America.

There's a lot of potential for community expansion here, especially because the more active the smash subreddit gets, the more it will grow. Let's do this.

Top Bottom