• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Gamers: Stop Calling Yourselves Hardcore

Kid5day

Smash Rookie
Yeah I don't see a big problem with being called hardcore, all hardcore gamers have a feeling that they can't understand about what hardcore gaming truly is. I love all hardcore gamers. If we had to have a new name :(... WE'D BE THE NINJA GAMERS!!!!

Everyone will agree to that.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I would prefer to be refered to as a dedicated or veteran gamer. I've been into games for as long as I can remember.

Evla

Smash Cadet
**** dis ****. I am HARDCORE Nukka!!! Link all day screw da rulez I have Money!!!!! Chea!

L__

Smash Master
Notice how the ones who are saying they're "hardcore" are not providing any factual evidence that they are "hardcore". It seriously bugs me that more and more people are declaring themselves false names to make themselves feel proud of themselves. Again, the term hardcore is relative.

notftomearth7 said:
Other than the fact that calling yourselves hardcore makes you look like a jerk...please, find a new word.
...seriously.

Guy 1: YEAH I'M HARDCORE. I OWN PEOPLE ONLINE.
Guy 2: ...you play Brawl...hardcore...?

*crowd of Melee players*

*holds back laughter*

Even though that isn't the case, people who are playing a game that was meant to be casual. Sakurai TOOK OUT ADVANCED TECHS PART BY PART JUST FOR THIS. So, don't declare yourselves hardcore in a game that isn't. :D Just my ideas people, gosh.

Vts

Smash Champion
i'm a hardcore eater jk, pfft if your hardcore game then you need to play almost every game and do really well at tournaments/beat the game lol.

its new thing that people like to say they are, I go to hardcore shows where u leave with a broken nose and ripped shirt. They are fun until your in the middle of pit with four 300+ pound people slamming u at once.I don't say I'm hardcore cus that sounds ******** if your describing someone it sounds good but when you say you are you kind of make urself look like a ******.

me and my friends make fun of hardcore kids and call them emo I think i'll have to start saying that on these boards now.

just my 2 cents. (now hardcore dancing!)

Darkslash

Smash Master
Does swinging you arms like a mad man in Twilight Princess count?

Ohh well, i'll just call my self a Vet Gamer then. But i swear i will swear under my breath if any one asks me why i don't have cooking mama on my DS

Wrath`

Smash Master
I have to be hardcore, i kill n00bs on mario kart wii.....................

I am a gamer thats it, I play games, i'll compete, but I'm just a an average gamer who likes "harcore" and "casual" games.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
For the Wii. we got a new

Mario
Zelda
Metroid
Smash Bros
Mario Kart

Plus new upcoming games like Madworld. Not to mention Animal Crossing and Wii Sports are coming too.

If you came to this site to actually talk about competitive smash, doesnt that consider you hardcore?

Erucolindo86

Smash Rookie
Even though that isn't the case, people who are playing a game that was meant to be casual. Sakurai TOOK OUT ADVANCED TECHS PART BY PART JUST FOR THIS. So, don't declare yourselves hardcore in a game that isn't. :D Just my ideas people, gosh.

I call a logical fallacy in your argument that due to Sakurai's removal of ATs that the game is no longer worth declaring "hardcore" . The fact remains that a developer's intent upon making the game is by no means an indication of how the community will receive it. Though Sakurai did not wish for a competetive metagame to develop, the quality and, more importantly, the depth of strategy that he deliberately did include give us more than enough to be competitive with. The ubiquity of discussion and the devout loyalty of the few dedicated fans are what make Smash hardcore. Also, keep in mind for Sakurai's sake that out of everyone who plays Smash, the hardcore Smash scene constitutes a vast minorty of the whole. So really, like most games today, Smash does remain overall a "casual" game.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I don't mind being called hardcore...... but the one thing I do mind, Nintendo not really appealing to hardcore gamers anymore.... making everything so that "casual" gamers can play something that's not "too hard" >_> But, really, all I can say for sure, is that I'm a gamer...

MaJiK

Smash Ace
u cant call yourself hardcore it means little just say what we're all think and i say anyway
ur not "hardcore at smash"
ur "nerdin Smash!!!"

Justerbuster07

Smash Apprentice
Srsly. I was once playing super smash brothers melee with a girl and my friend, and she looked at my hands as i was wave shining and shuffling all over my friend, and she gazed at my fingers and said in slow motion while pointing at my controler "Harrrdcooorreee gameerrrrrr O.O" in awe and im like, what, i can't be skilled at a game and just still be playing it for fun? I play Melee competitively simply for the fact that it entertains the crap out of me compared to the shallow ******** games Nintendo's been "innovating" us with. I think the people often labeled as "hardcore gamers" should be referred to as simply "good taste gamers" that know enough about games to pick out the superiorly entertaining ones.

Btw ops example of Metroid Prime to cooking mama was spot on, Metroid Prime, tied with Super Smash Bros Melee is my favorite game of all time. ^_^

detta

Banned via Administration
Welcome to the Hardcorner, where your superstitious host hopes to avoid the bad luck of column number 13 with a solemn vow to stop calling Hardcore “Hardcore.” Seriously, it just confuses Hardcore and both of Hardcore’s readers, or as Hardcore likes to call them, Mom and Dad. That is, I hereby swear to cut that crap out right now.

Keyword Research Georgia Health Insurance

Karas

Smash Cadet
I never Really Liked The Term "hardcore" For a Gamer, I find It just Doesn't Suit it , Whats wrong with just, "no-life" Or Just Gamer?
Hardcore isnt Anything to gaming. Half the Hardcore People I know dont even touch games.
just my opinion.

Zylar

Smash Ace
People (stupidly) call me a hardcore gamer, just because I play more hours of videogames than normal people.
I never liked that term because of that, but here hardcore has such a specific meaning, it's great. :)
I'm definately not a hardcore gamer, just a gamer, any less I'd be normal.

detta, your post is dificult to understand and takes away from the topic because of it's negative conotations.
(BTW, HAPPY FIRST PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) )

(>^^)> <(^^<)

Prancing Mad

Smash Rookie
Here here. Hardcore sounds nasty, unless you're into that sort of thing. Veteran is a much more appropriate term. Unless we start calling the casual player "softcore", I don't think we should use hardcore

e__

Smash Ace
Hardcore should be reserved JUST for the hardcore punk scene, AKA Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, Sick of it All, Irate, etc.

copperdog4

Smash Rookie
I prefer being called a Veteran gamer. Hardcore does seem out of place.
i think vetran gamer is what id rather be called aswell i mean really what is "hardcore" these days anyways people use this term so lightly like is u are at a skate park (i dont skate just usin this as an example) and u do some really hard trick (i dont know names of really hard tricks) and some guy who cant do any tricks at all comes up to you and says "your hardcore man" well all he did is a thing many people that are dedicated to skating can do. but u dont see them being called hardcore skaters just dedicated.. so why cant we get the same :confused:

jacob123

Smash Rookie
I enjoy playing Endless Ocean. Not as much as reading a good novel or attending a nice opera. But more than any game that has been published in the last few years. I realize that this tells me more about the quality of those other games than it does of that of Endless Ocean

Wholesale women’s tops online slot machines

falcoslayer

Smash Apprentice
I thought that was a great post, and I've thought this too, I never could defend my position, though...until now.

CloudGer

Smash Rookie
In my opinion hardcore means not to play games, but to live them.
Hardcore gamer as a term to describe the opposite of casual is just wrong. If you play games everyday and you have a big collection, that makes you neither a hardcore gamer nor a causual gamer. You can still use them just to relax or have some fun, just to enjoy those great virtual realities and possibilities. But I think hardcore goes further, like playing any MMO every day for like 10 hours and totally neglect your real life...
Also always keep in mind, that there is always someone being more hardcore...

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
casual or mainstream works for others

how about something related to tournament like tourney goers?

Top Bottom