• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack! Imperial Floral Assault Group! Sakura Shinguji for Smash Ultimate! (The Curtain Closes This Time, But the Taisho Era Continues...)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Oogami's kobu (for short sec) and Sakura's Kobu were in the trailer
Might be someone using their kobus or its them

they would be in their 30s by this point.
Also, apparently a certain someone seems to be the new manager of the New Combat Revue:

At least what the Twitter feed seems to mention. But if so - things are gonna be very interesting with this new manager around.

HELL YES at a Western release. I'm a little miffed it's not coming to Switch but i expect each and every one of you to buy this game in support! ^^
We can hope it gets a release date for that sometime later, I think the game shouldn't be that hard to draw in new audience.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Also, apparently a certain someone seems to be the new manager of the New Combat Revue:

At least what the Twitter feed seems to mention. But if so - things are gonna be very interesting with this new manager around.
Sumire is my fav so this would be wonderful

Also art of Nu Sakura:

New info from Famitsu:

System
  • The story progresses by moving to specific areas and speaking to specific characters to trigger events. Locations and characters that trigger special conversations and events are indicated by icons.
  • Players can use a steam-powered portable terminal called a Smatron, an evolution of the Mobile Kinematron, to do things like contact other characters and display the map.
Developer Interview Tidbits
  • Sakura Wars winning first place in the Sega Fan Fes 2016 fan poll was the starting point of Project Sakura Wars.
  • Since it has been more than 10 years since the previous game, the sense of Project Sakura Wars being a reboot is stronger than that of it being a sequel. Additionally, the staff has significantly changed and the platform is PlayStation 4. With all of that lumped together, it could be summarized in the word “New,” thus the title. (The Japanese title of Project Sakura Wars is New Sakura Wars.)
  • Speaking of the main heroines of Sakura Wars, they wear kimono and wield swords. That was the combination that first came to the mind of character designer Tite Kubo. He is not only the character designer, but also the designer of each character’s sword. He has also proposed other ideas.
  • Masashi Kudou, who works on the anime version of Bleach, is responsible for the visual settings when making 3D models. Tite Kubo vouched for him, saying, “If anyone can do it, it’s Masashi Kudou.”
  • Tite Kubo works fast. When I came back to the office after our meeting, he already drew up a rough draft. His speed is incredible.
  • While 10 years have passed since the previous title, the “steam civilization” and “Taisho era romance” settings have not changed. The biggest change from the past is that the Combat Revues, which once existed behind the scenes, are now widely known.
  • The story is a Sakura Wars-esque fantasy.
  • Script writer Takaaki Suzuki, who is known for Girls and Panzer, has offered historical accuracy suggestions.
  • We still have many secret weapons (within the staff).
  • The Great Combat Revue World War is like a global sports festival. In Project Sakura Wars, it is the third one to be held. It is where the Combat Revues from all over the world gather in the Imperial capital and compete in tournament format. However, the tournament that should have been peaceful takes a serious turn…
  • A “Trust Level” exists between you and the members of the Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division. The fluctuation in Trust Level affects your battle parameters, as well as the enables the use of cooperative skills. There are also individual endings with each member. The basic framework, such as “Next” notices, has not changed.
  • The graphics are full 3D. The entire map was made anew, starting from the Imperial Theater. You can even walk around freely inside buildings.
  • Movement, events, and conversations that occur during adventure parts all happen on the same 3D map.
  • LIPS and Click Mode, the latter of which is also known as “Touch Mode,” return and incorporate elements unique to 3D graphics while also changing form. By linking the analog LIPS with camera control, you can do things like get a good look at something from top to bottom. Click Mode also has new mechanics. We’re doing our best to the point that CERO’s inspection does not have any effects.
  • Protagonist Seijuurou Kamiyama is a flexible character who can become the lover or the comedian depending on the player’s choices. He is an amusing guy. Expect some “scenes” happen in front of the shower room, similar to past titles.
  • Sakura is a little clumsy. Hatsuhou is a different type compared to Kanna. There is a meaning behind Azami’s clothes. Claris has a sharp tongue and sometimes scolds others with phrases like, ‘Please go to hell!’ She is recommended to those want to be scolded by her voice actor Saori Hayami.
  • Each country’s Combat Reveue and the Imperial Theater staff also appear. The casting will surprise everyone.
  • Anime movies produced by Sanzigen that total about 40-plus minutes are being prepared. All other scenes are 3D.
  • Project Sakura Wars is an adjacent work to the previous entries in the series.
  • Mech design is again being handled by Mika Akitaka.
  • There are 70 to 80 songs. We’re aiming for the most songs in the series. We’re preparing a number of songs from those where everyone sings to solos. Whether the Combat Revues of each country have songs is a secret.
  • Development is 40 to 50 percent complete. Basic parts such as character and background modeling, scenario, and music are complete. Voice recording is also nearing the final stages, and after that is the stage where we put it all together as a game.
  • The plan is to keep our winter release (in Japan). We want to share more news as quickly as possible.
Old characters are returning and The DS Sakura Wars game is canon
Some kubo concept art:

Last edited:

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Sakura looks cool. I would like to support.

KatKit

Smash Lord
This seems like a reasonable support group with dedicated fans. I'm surprised that it isn't as well known (or at least openly requested) as some of the other requests I've seen on the internet. Perhaps it's a regional thing? In any case, I'm going to do some research...

Okay, so we're getting a new game in the West by next year; more exposure is good. This series seems interesting as heck. I'm a little embarrassed that this slipped by my radar, but better late than never. I wholeheartedly support. I have some catching up to do.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Cliche though it is, main theme is my favorite.

In terms of non lyrical stuff i could listen to the music that plays at night for the Revue forever (DC ver specifically)

Sucks the psp port ruined the sound quality and made all the images compressed but its currently the only viable way to emulate the games since the dc and saturn ones freeze at random.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I hope this was intentional

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
https://heroesrequests.sega.com/s3/SEGA-Heroes-character-requests

Sega released a survey for whatever character you want from their mobile crossover game Sega Heroes

Sakura Wars has an entry so show your support. Actually a surprisingly ton of Sega IPs going from obscure to well known are on this, Even obscure Atlus characters. they did their research.

Voted for Drachma from Skies of Arcadia, Cain from Binary Domain, and Sakura although i wouldve voted for Sumire but only the MC of each SW game are listed. Also requested Rynex from Thunder Force since its not on the list.

Fan Translation seems to be complete

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
https://heroesrequests.sega.com/s3/SEGA-Heroes-character-requests

Sega released a survey for whatever character you want from their mobile crossover game Sega Heroes

Sakura Wars has an entry so show your support. Actually a surprisingly ton of Sega IPs going from obscure to well known are on this, Even obscure Atlus characters. they did their research.

Voted for Drachma from Skies of Arcadia, Cain from Binary Domain, and Sakura although i wouldve voted for Sumire but only the MC of each SW game are listed. Also requested Rynex from Thunder Force since its not on the list.
Well, that was interesting. I voted for Velvet (Odin Sphere), Mathilda (Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy), and Sakura Shinguji (had to show my support!). If I could choose a 4th one, it'd be a character from Valkyria Chronicles 3. Needless to say, your list was pretty obscure, haha. Though I mean that in a good way.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Well, that was interesting. I voted for Velvet (Odin Sphere), Mathilda (Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy), and Sakura Shinguji (had to show my support!). If I could choose a 4th one, it'd be a character from Valkyria Chronicles 3. Needless to say, your list was pretty obscure, haha. Though I mean that in a good way.
I couldve gone with Vectorman, Arle, Majima or etc but feel like those characters probably have enough fans to support them

Drachma was my favorite SoA character since i like old man sailor types. He's also straight up Captain Ahab from Moby Di ck with a giant robotic arm which is a plus.

Cain is the best Binary Domain team member and Sumire is best Flower Division girl.
If there was more room would of liked to add Walz from VC4 but he wasnt even listed to begin with so maybe Selvaria i guess

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

KatKit

Smash Lord
I couldve gone with Vectorman, Arle, Majima or etc but feel like those characters probably have enough fans to support them

Drachma was my favorite SoA character since i like old man sailor types. He's also straight up Captain Ahab from Moby Di ck with a giant robotic arm which is a plus.

Cain is the best Binary Domain team member and Sumire is best Flower Division girl.
If there was more room would of liked to add Walz from VC4 but he wasnt even listed to begin with so maybe Selvaria i guess
Yeah, there's a lot of good choices to choose from. I tried to be pragmatic with some of my picks, too. I wanted to pick Eileen from Virtua Fighter, e.g. but I know fans of the series are going to pick Akira, if anything.

I probably would've voted for Fina, but Drachma's cool.

Cain is only the best if everybody's trust levels are high.

Semi off-topic, but I recommend checking out Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, if you already haven't. I've been shamelessly promoting it in like... every RPG thread on here. :lol:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
https://www.dualshockers.com/project-sakura-wars-toshihiro-nagoshi-comments-translation-screenshots/

New interview with Nagoshi

-Scenarist Jiro Ishii, the game’s team and Nagoshi decided on what to show in the trailer. The development team also wanted to release the trailer sooner, before the end of 2018, but Nagoshi ended up deciding against it. This explains why back in November he stated we’d see the game soon, but we didn’t until March.

-Toshihiro Nagoshi also spoke about what stirred the Sakura Taisen fan community: the fact that Sumire’s name appears in the trailer. While he didn’t confirm yet if we’ll actually see her in the game, Nagoshi admitted that he doesn’t know much about Sakura Taisen lore. So he didn’t realize having “Imperial Theatre General Director: Kanzaki Sumire” show up in the trailer would turn into such a huge deal. , They weren’t supposed to reveal that now, and he’s the only one to blame. Project Sakura Wars‘ first story pitch stated that the old Combat Revues of Tokyo, Paris and New York, disappeared ten years ago after a cataclysm. Because of that, a lot of fans saw that Sumire hint as “oh, at least Sumire is still there” and believed Sega put her name in the trailer on purpose, but they didn’t.

-Nagoshi also stated that we’ve only seen like 20% of the interesting bits of Project Sakura Wars. Sega will reveal much more progressively, so we should look forward to it. He strongly wishes for the game to be a huge success, and he’s doing everything he can for it to happen.

-Lastly, Toshihiro Nagoshi stated that Project Sakura Wars has a much higher “real-time’ feeling that past games, but didn’t elaborate. Personally speaking, I think he means how the game now has 3D fully explorable areas and all dialogues being in 3D. He could also mean that the battle system will have real-time elements, as in my opinion, it’ll be very similar to Valkyria Chronicles 4‘s battle system.

and from famitsu
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201905/03174243.html

-Development staff over 100 people. biggest in the series

-Using Hedgehog engine (Sonic games)

-Event scene made using know-how from Yakuza games

-Combat system is easier than previous games to accommodate new players

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
You know, I had a thought. The new Sakura from the upcoming game has a pretty similar outfit and weapon to Ms. Shinguji. She could be an alternate costume (and you wouldn't even have to change the name for her).

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
-Development staff over 100 people. biggest in the series

-Using Hedgehog engine (Sonic games)

-Event scene made using know-how from Yakuza games

-Combat system is easier than previous games to accommodate new players
Clearer translations:

>Game is called Shin Sakura Wars because it’s acting like a soft reboot. Would have been weird to call it Sakura Wars 6 after the series had been silent for 10 years.
>Over 300 attempts were made at making the logo.
>Scenario writing has been completed.
>Game is fully in 3D; working on seamless transitions between cutscenes and dialogue choices.
>Over 100 people on the development team, largest staff ever working on a Sakura Wars game.
>70 to 80 songs in the game, also the largest in the series.
>Game is 40 to 50 percent done.
>Taking note of Yakuza for how they’re cutscenes are produced.
>Running on the Hedgehog Engine.

You know, I had a thought. The new Sakura from the upcoming game has a pretty similar outfit and weapon to Ms. Shinguji. She could be an alternate costume (and you wouldn't even have to change the name for her).
nuSakura will probably have a personality different enough were an echo would make more sense

osby

Smash Obsessed
Please don't double post. Edit your messages instead.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
New info on June 26th

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
New info on June 26th
Sweet, I've been so hyped for this!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Christmas cake Sumire

Here's some more new gameplay footage in this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA45O3DRra0&list=PLLfhkR8m8wYt6zUOvACwg24oIjFQfwT_o

seems that you can find bromides from previous games
She's still charismatic as ever, minus the pompousness from her original appearances. I hope we'll see other characters due this.

Ugh, I wish they would've made Team Sonic Racing into a third title in the series with Sakura in it.
Something to note is that apparently Sakura was actually explored as an addition to Transformed due the requests she received, but Sumo Digital had to turn her down eventually due not "fitting to their tone of the game" and the type of vehicle covered by another more international cult classic (Skies of Arcadia).

Would have been interesting, but perhaps due her major JPN-only status, maybe she'd been difficult to work with back then.

But yeah, quite unfortunate how Sega All Stars-IP isn't probably going to receive games for a long time. :(

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Something to note is that apparently Sakura was actually explored as an addition to Transformed due the requests she received, but Sumo Digital had to turn her down eventually due not "fitting to their tone of the game" and the type of vehicle covered by another more international cult classic (Skies of Arcadia).

Would have been interesting, but perhaps due her major JPN-only status, maybe she'd been difficult to work with back then.

But yeah, quite unfortunate how Sega All Stars-IP isn't probably going to receive games for a long time. :(
I remember wayback in the old sega forums Steve Lycett stating something like this.

Apparently Vyse was also an extremely lucky get because there was a likely plan for a hd remaster for SoA that never came to fruition due to sega going through difficult economic issues and JSR & NiGHTs remasters not selling enough at that time. Otherwise sega seemed very clear on not allowing japanese characters in the game which meant important IPs series like Puyo Puyo or Phanatsy Star being ignored for weird nonsensical choices like Bonanza Bros or Billy Hatcher

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I remember wayback in the old sega forums Steve Lycett stating something like this.

Apparently Vyse was also an extremely lucky get because there was a likely plan for a hd remaster for SoA that never came to fruition due to sega going through difficult economic issues and JSR & NiGHTs remasters not selling enough at that time. Otherwise sega seemed very clear on not allowing japanese characters in the game which meant important IPs series like Puyo Puyo or Phanatsy Star being ignored for weird nonsensical choices like Bonanza Bros or Billy Hatcher
Ouch, that hurts.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
There was another thing where the creator of Sakura Wars refused to let the series be represented in Super Robot Wars cause he felt it wouldnt "fit"

That was many years ago so who knows if he changed his mind since. One of his other creations, Mashin Hero Wataru made it in a recent SRW.

Last edited:

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's not true anymore since Sakura Wars is in Super Robot Wars X-Omega. Yeah, sure, it's not a mainline SRW game but hey, at least they made it in.

Oh, and I support Sakura in Smash by the way.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I have never played a Sakura Wars game, but after playing Project x Zone, i'd absolutely love a Sakura Wars rep!

add me to the support list :)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Well, that's not true anymore since Sakura Wars is in Super Robot Wars X-Omega. Yeah, sure, it's not a mainline SRW game but hey, at least they made it in.

thats the mobile game with Power Rangers and Godzilla right

insane they didnt get the rights to use them for a mainline game

Artix

Smash Journeyman
thats the mobile game with Power Rangers and Godzilla right
Yep, that one. Also, there are some insane inclusions in that game aside from Power Rangers (or Super Sentai) and Godzilla. It also has Crayon Shin-chan, Idolmaster (Xenoglossia, Mujin Gattai Kisaragi and Cinderella Girls), Hacka Doll, Little Witch Academia, Sega Hard Girls and even Mega Man.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

I have never played a Sakura Wars game, but after playing Project x Zone, i'd absolutely love a Sakura Wars rep!

add me to the support list :)
Done and done for both of you - welcome to the Assault Group!

Yep, that one. Also, there are some insane inclusions in that game aside from Power Rangers (or Super Sentai) and Godzilla. It also has Crayon Shin-chan, Idolmaster (Xenoglossia, Mujin Gattai Kisaragi and Cinderella Girls), Hacka Doll, Little Witch Academia, Sega Hard Girls and even Mega Man.
Wow, that's a really weird roster of characters O_o

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Otherwise sega seemed very clear on not allowing japanese characters in the game which meant important IPs series like Puyo Puyo or Phanatsy Star being ignored for weird nonsensical choices like Bonanza Bros or Billy Hatcher
I guess what I could argue on this is that Puyo Puyo was actually featured way back in Sega Superstar Tennis as one of the minigame modes, for all what it's worth:

Makes me confused why no Fever-characters or even Arle though, s your point still kind of stands.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Video game /m/ properties getting in mainline SRW still seems to be a barrier (outside the couple of weird excursions by Virtual-On), but at least some never-evers have managed to get in, in the meantime (Harlock, Cowboy Bebop, Rayearth and Wataru). It may only be a question of time at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom