• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack! Imperial Floral Assault Group! Sakura Shinguji for Smash Ultimate! (The Curtain Closes This Time, But the Taisho Era Continues...)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

Sakura in her kimono, her most recognizable appearance.

(For some odd reason, this image cannot be embedded): http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...est/scale-to-width-down/600?cb=20160913190446

Sakura in her Imperial Floral Assault Troop Uniform

Who is Sakura Shinguji?

Sakura Shinguji is the daughter of the Shinguji family, in whose blood runs the Haja force, allowing her to dispel all evil. She's a master of the Hokushin Itto Ryu sword technique allowing her to use her katana with ease. She has an intense dedication to her training and can even slice single water droplets with ease. She fights evil with her deceased father's "Reiken-Arataka" demon-defeating blade.
She's the newest member of the Imperial Floral Assault Division, a military group dedicated to protecting the Imperial Capital from all manor of demons, while also being undercover in the Imperial Theater, where they perform many stage plays.
She's somewhat naive and clumsy as well as gentle, polite, and kind. Nevertheless, her dedication allows her to be one of the most powerful sword-wielders you'll ever see.

Appearances:
Sakura Taisen (Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PC, PS2, IOS)
Sakura Taisen 2 (Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PSP, PC)
Sakura Taisen 3 (Dreamcast, PC, PS2)
Sakura Taisen 4 (Dreamcast, PC)
Sakura Taisen 5 (PS2, Wii)
Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Taisen Columns (Sega Saturn)
Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2 (Dreamcast)
Sakura Taisen GB (Game Boy Color)
Sakura Taisen GB 2 (Game Boy Color)
Project X Zone (3DS)
Project X Zone 2

Why should Sakura be in Smash Bros.?
Sakura Wars is an incredibly unique franchise being a combat/dating sim title, a type of game never before seen in Smash. Furthermore, Sakura Wars is one of the most popular gaming series in Japan, even beating out fellow SEGA character and mascot Sonic the Hedgehog in sales. She has potential for a unique gimmick, and she's a very cool character.

Moveset:

An example of some of Sakura's abilities.

As a master of the Hokushin Itto Ryu, Sakura's moves mostly rely on her sword to dish out the pain. Sakura is known to cut a droplet of water in half with her blade, and her moveset reflects this by rewarding properly timed strikes. When after a dodge, Sakura will do more damage (up to 3% more depending on the move) and knockback for a total of 5 seconds, though if she is hit she will lose the bonus damage/knockback. Sakura, being a stage performer, also receives this buff if the crowd is chanting her name.

Jab: A standard series of slashes from her katana. 3 hit maximum.
Dash attack: Sakura brings out her katana directly in front of her, similarly to Ike's dash attack. However, this does minimal knockback and set up for a combo.

Forward Tilt: Sakura stabs forward with her katana. Does extra damage on the tip.
Down Tilt: Sakura performs a sweeping kick below her opponent's legs.
Up Tilt: Sakura will swipe her katana above her, similar to Cloud's up tilt.

Forward Smash: Using her signature Hyakka Ryoran, Sakura steps forward unsheathing her blade alight with flame as she finishes with her signature pose.
Upward Smash: Using the mystic powers of the demon defeating blade, she swipes upward twice in rapid succession.
Downward Smash: Sakura pulls out a mop and cleans the ground around her. Someone has to clean after a performance!

Standard Special: Ouka Hoshin - Her signature move from Project X Zone 2. Sakura swings her blade unleashing a large projectile along the ground similar to Cloud's Blade Beam.
Forward Special: Hyakka Ryoran - Sakura dashes forward a short distance, surrounded in flame.
Up Special: Kuchu Sanrengiri/Rising Sakura - Sakura slices forward as she jumps upward and forward a small distance. Poor recovery.
Down Special: Ogami's Bombs - Sakura borrows a move from her boyfriend Ichiro Ogami and throws a small bomb forward. Not much damage or knockback. (Origin: Project X Zone)

Grab: Sakura extends her hand to grab the foe.
Pummel: Sakura knees the opponent.

Final Smash: Koubu Strike - Sakura calls in her Koubu (her steam-powered mech) to unleash some chaos for a short period of time.

Home Stage: Grand Imperial Theater

The stage where the Imperial Floral Assault Troop performs when not battling foes. A flat stage with little going on aside from the audience watching the "performance". The blast lines are concealed behind the curtains of the stage.

Music:

Costumes:
Sakura has 8 costumes; four in her well-known kimono and 4 in her Floral Combat Unit Uniform.

First: Normal colors for her kimono.
Second: Yellow & Brown colors based off of Iris and Jean Paul for her kimono.
Third: Orange and Brown colors based off of Gemini Sunrise for her kimono.
Fourth: Dark Blue colors based off of Maria for her kimono.
Fifth: Normal colors for her combat clothes.
Sixth: Purple colors based off Sumire for her combat clothes.
Seventh: Red colors based off Kanna for her combat clothes.
Eighth: White, Blue, and Gold colors based off Ichiro Ogami for her combat clothes.

Series Symbol: One of the Flowers on Sakura's kimono.

Trophies:
Sakura Shinguji
Sakura Shinguji (Alt.)
Koubu Strike
Ichiro Ogami
Iris Châteaubriand & Jean Paul
Sumire Kanzaki
Maria Tachibana
Kohran Li
Kanna Kirishima
Orihime Soletta
Lieutenant General Ikki Yoneda
Ayame Fujieda
Koubu
Kouma
Erica Fontaine
Gemini Sunrise

Supporters:
Nerd Saga Nate
Yomi's Biggest Fan
~ Valkyrie ~
Tyrant Tenebris
smashkirby
SEGAGameBoy
SquashiniKun
Dyllybirdy
Idon
Captain Shwampy
Inoj
Dannio
KatKit
Artix
TheGuv
NintenZ
Blankiturayman
P.Kat
TheIrepan8
JDCabrera
Clumsyzephyr
Marakatu
amageish
Hadokeyblade
Jotadé
Perkilator

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just stopping by to say that I still support.

At least for now, we know that the interest in a new SW revival is there with that last Sega poll (Beating out even Jet Set Radio and Shenmue, which already has III). It's a matter of when it would happen.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Here I am. Reporting for duty in the Imperial Floral Assault Group. :3

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's good to have a more official thread on the forums.
Sure is.

Though being if we have more Sakura Wars fans around here would be a matter of waiting.

Who knows, you could be in luck.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thanks for the tags. Didn't really wind up coming here for good long while - new interests in other things non-gaming has kept me bussay. :100:

I do wonder if there's anyway we can see Sakura Wars pop up in any form to Nintendo Switch, especially with the biggest interest to it in Japan at SEGA's last polls. For good while it seems that everything's possible, thanks to me knowing that Puyo Puyo, Bomberman and Blazblue on a Nintendo-console at once isn't well... a pipe dream anymore.

On that end, maybe I could go entertain myself a bit and make my own ideas for how Sakura could work in Smash if laid in the ways she plays from her own games (since I've played handful of 'em).

But yeah, let's roll out! I'm putting in my support.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Thanks for the tags. Didn't really wind up coming here for good long while - new interests in other things non-gaming has kept me bussay. :100:

I do wonder if there's anyway we can see Sakura Wars pop up in any form to Nintendo Switch, especially with the biggest interest to it in Japan at SEGA's last polls. For good while it seems that everything's possible, thanks to me knowing that Puyo Puyo, Bomberman and Blazblue on a Nintendo-console at once isn't well... a pipe dream anymore.

On that end, maybe I could go entertain myself a bit and make my own ideas for how Sakura could work in Smash if laid in the ways she plays from her own games (since I've played handful of 'em).

But yeah, let's roll out! I'm putting in my support.

I'd be all for you coming up with an alternate style.

Also... Sakura Wars HD Collection for Switch... with English version using the VAs from the anime... *crosses fingers wistfully*

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Thread still alive? If so, I'd like to be a supporter as well. I'm not familiar with Sakura's home series, but you did a pretty impressive job in displaying her merits.

Nicely done in the thread by the way. Keeping it concise and straight to the point to where it should matter on the newcomer audience, and supplementing info on the right categories to how a series would be represented best.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Thread still alive? If so, I'd like to be a supporter as well. I'm not familiar with Sakura's home series, but you did a pretty impressive job in displaying her merits.

Nicely done in the thread by the way. Keeping it concise and straight to the point to where it should matter on the newcomer audience, and supplementing info on the right categories to how a series would be represented best.
I'll gladly add you to the support list, and many thanks on the compliments. I'd highly recommend checking out Sakura Taisen.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Not that it'll do any good, but hey, can we bring the Kagekidan out for one last venture?

Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27
~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~
DarkAuraful DarkAuraful

The Flower Division's finest may not make it into Smash, but hey, maybe if that rumored All-Stars Racing 3 comes out...
I have some bad news, that rumored Sonic racing game is implied to be Sonic characters only this time around. Here's a link.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/0...-kart-racer-to-only-feature-sonic-characters/

But other than that, I am ready to push for Sakura again. Even if the future of her series is up in the air.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have some bad news, that rumored Sonic racing game is implied to be Sonic characters only this time around. Here's a link.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/0...-kart-racer-to-only-feature-sonic-characters/

But other than that, I am ready to push for Sakura again. Even if the future of her series is up in the air.
Kinda wanted to chime in as well for this, but the big cook made it first.

Anyway, I think this really upsets me already due the death of Marvel VS Capcom due Infinite's infamous flop reputation, while we already lost Project x Zone (due director stepping out of Monolith Soft) and Playstation Battle Royale.

Mostly it's because it not only puts too much pressure on Smash Bros as the "ultimate crossover game" in majority's eyes, it has also robbed a way to celebrate more closer bonds of beloved cult classics and fanfavorite franchises within various single companies in much similarly great vein as Smash Bros-series did.

(And gosh, this is before I remember how great Konami's Parodius-series was).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
While this bodes well for the Sakura Wars franchise being alive, it's probably too late to give a big boost to Sakura support.

Still glad we are getting a new game thanks to the loud Japanese fandom.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
bumping, and supporting. I wonder what her trailer would be like?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
bumping, and supporting. I wonder what her trailer would be like?
My dream trailer for her had her revealed alongside fellow demon-battling samurai Takamaru.

The stage is set in a dark plane of existence. Mirroring the beginning of Robin and Lucina's trailer, Takamaru is launched backwards but slides safely and says in Japanese: "Demon, you will not live past this day," as he rushes towards his target, revealed to be Ganondorf.

TAKAMARU CUTS IN!

(Begin showing gameplay of Takamaru while a remix of Douchuumen, the main theme of Mysterious Murasame Castle, plays.)

We cut back to the battle, revealing this was all a flashback. Takamaru is lying on the ground with the Demon King about to kill him, as he says "I can't give up yet..."

But then, a spotlight appears.

"The Floral Assault Division is here!"

(Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan begins to play.)

SAKURA ENDS THE WAR!

(Gameplay showcasing Sakura's moves, including fighting fellow SEGA mascots Sonic and Bayonetta, as well as her Final Smash involving her Kobu.)

After the SSB Ultimate Logo showcases, we cut to a sort of "after credits" scene of Takamaru taunting (with folded arms and a stoic yet displeased expression) next to her, also taunting (blowing a kiss, referencing the dating simulator aspect of the series) with an assist trophy - none other than Segata Sanshiro - referencing a classic Sega Saturn commercial.)

Also, welcome to the Kagekidan! Added to support list.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
My dream trailer for her had her revealed alongside fellow demon-battling samurai Takamaru.

The stage is set in a dark plane of existence. Mirroring the beginning of Robin and Lucina's trailer, Takamaru is launched backwards but slides safely and says in Japanese: "Demon, you will not live past this day," as he rushes towards his target, revealed to be Ganondorf.

TAKAMARU CUTS IN!

(Begin showing gameplay of Takamaru while a remix of Douchuumen, the main theme of Mysterious Murasame Castle, plays.)

We cut back to the battle, revealing this was all a flashback. Takamaru is lying on the ground with the Demon King about to kill him, as he says "I can't give up yet..."

But then, a spotlight appears.

"The Floral Assault Division is here!"

(Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan begins to play.)

SAKURA ENDS THE WAR!

(Gameplay showcasing Sakura's moves, including fighting fellow SEGA mascots Sonic and Bayonetta, as well as her Final Smash involving her Kobu.)

After the SSB Ultimate Logo showcases, we cut to a sort of "after credits" scene of Takamaru taunting (with folded arms and a stoic yet displeased expression) next to her, also taunting (blowing a kiss, referencing the dating simulator aspect of the series) with an assist trophy - none other than Segata Sanshiro - referencing a classic Sega Saturn commercial.)

Also, welcome to the Kagekidan! Added to support list.
That's a nice trailer concept! I'd Imagine her being revealed alongside Paper Mario.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Bumping this lil' base of the Neo Flower Troupe. I think this might interest you all.

Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming

DarkAuraful DarkAuraful

smashkirby smashkirby

S SEGAGameBoy

SquashiniKun SquashiniKun

Has anyone heard of Iwakura Productions? This fan translation group has been actually working on the English translation of Sakura Taisen's PC Port since 2014 now. I've been kind of observing whether they'd made progress, but kind of forgot over time. That was until recently when I found out that this project's still going full speed according to the blog post in August.

Apparently the script's been pretty close to completion, while the editing is going to accelerate. But here's the kicker: this is also the closest of their on-going projects being at completion by their end too.

It might not be too long anymore before we can live the grand beginning of the series's glory.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Bumping this lil' base of the Neo Flower Troupe. I think this might interest you all.

DarkAuraful DarkAuraful

smashkirby smashkirby

S SEGAGameBoy

Has anyone heard of Iwakura Productions? This fan translation group has been actually working on the English translation of Sakura Taisen's PC Port since 2014 years now. I've been kind of observing whether they'd made progress, but kind of forgot over time. That was until recently when I found out that this project's still going full speed according to the blog post in August.

Apparently the script's been pretty close to completion, while the editing is going to accelerate. But here's the kicker: this is also the closest of their on-going projects being at completion by their end too.

It might not be too long anymore before we can live the grand beginning of the series's glory.

Oh nice, this is good news. Glad that fan transition for the first game is going well.

At least this will lead to more people knowing of Sakura before SW6 comes out.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace

DarkAuraful DarkAuraful

smashkirby smashkirby

S SEGAGameBoy

Has anyone heard of Iwakura Productions? This fan translation group has been actually working on the English translation of Sakura Taisen's PC Port since 2014 years now. I've been kind of observing whether they'd made progress, but kind of forgot over time. That was until recently when I found out that this project's still going full speed according to the blog post in August.

Naisu, i'm pretty excited to play this game in english for the first time.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

DarkAuraful DarkAuraful

smashkirby smashkirby

S SEGAGameBoy

I've been following them for awhile but hadn't checked in recently! I can't believe they're getting close to finishing, I've been waiting so long!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am obligated to support any and all characters that use any sort of iaido.
Count me in.

Though, granted, I know **** all about this game series.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I am obligated to support any and all characters that use any sort of iaido.
Count me in.

Though, granted, I know **** all about this game series.
Welcome to the Assault Troupe, Idon!

If you're interested in finding out more about the series, Project x Zone 1 & 2 are a great point, as they give you some lore without too many spoilers. If you want to dive right in, the fifth game of the series (the only one to be localized) is available on the PS2 and Wii (Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love) though I'll admit, tracking down a copy might be a bit difficult. There's also a fairly competent telling of the first game's story through an anime adaptation from the early 2000s which has been released on DVD as well, as well as an OVA set after So Long, My Love which, unlike the main anime, is not dubbed (and took me a long time to find online) - though I'd recommend playing the game first!

There's also a fan translation of the first game in the works (though it's progressing quite slowly) - but you can follow the progress here.

Top Bottom