• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack! Imperial Floral Assault Group! Sakura Shinguji for Smash Ultimate! (The Curtain Closes This Time, But the Taisho Era Continues...)

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Just asking; what's the Classic Mode meant to represent? You can always put it in this thread right here if you want.
Yeah the Classic mode is what I struggled with the most the intent is; the characters on the bottom are on your side and on top are the opponents. It was meant to represent both the Demons and the friendship factor present in the series.

amageish

Smash Master
Hello!

I'm new to the Sakura Wars franchise with the soft reboot, but I've been really enjoying it, it has great music, and I'd be more then happy to see Sakura in Smash (even if I'm not too familiar with the famous Sakura personally, beyond new Sakura's near-constant fangirling).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie...when I first saw this thread, I thought it meant a Sakura Samurai character.
Eh, I wouldn't be opposed to him, if I'm being totally honest. Funny thing, I usually call him Sakuramaru.

...Yeeeaaah, I've got quite the tolerance for characters, no matter how obscure/unpopular, ESPECIALLY if they're from Nintendo...

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I made my own little Challenger Pack for Sakura:
Stage: Grand Imperial Theater

Music:
  1. Declaration! Imperial Floral Assault Troupe - Sakura Wars (Original)
  2. Declaration! Imperial Floral Assault Troupe - Sakura Wars (New Remix)
  3. The Heartwarming Life of the TeiGeki - Sakura Wars (New Remix)
  4. Move Out! Imperial Floral Assault Troupe - Sakura Wars (New Remix)
  5. Enemy Battle Medley - Sakura Wars (New Remix)
  6. Decisive Battle! Imperial Floral Assault Troupe - Sakura Wars 2 (Original)
  7. Final Battle - Sakura Wars 2 (Original)
  8. Imperial Capital - Sakura Wars 2 (New Remix)
  9. Under the Imperial Flag - Sakura Wars 3 (New Remix)
  10. Chattes Noires - Sakura Wars 3 (Original)
  11. Clash - Sakura Wars 3 (Original)
  12. Paris Floral Assault Troupe, Debut! - Sakura Wars 3 (New Remix)
  13. The Musical Dance of Battle - Sakura Wars 3 (Original)
  14. Earth Warriors - Sakura Wars 5 (Original)
  15. Go Go NYCR! - Sakura Wars 5 (New Remix)
  16. Declaration! Imperial Floral Assault Troupe - Shinsou (New Sakura Wars)
  17. Shanghai Kagekidan - New Sakura Wars
  18. London Kagekidan - New Sakura Wars
  19. Berlin Kadekigan - New Sakura Wars
Spirits:
  1. Sakura Shinguji (Fighter Spirit)
  2. Ichiro Ogami (:ultrobin:, :starman::starman::starman::starman:)
  3. Sumire Kanzaki (:ultlucina:, :starman::starman:) -> Sumire Kanzaki (New Sakura Wars) (:starman::starman::starman:)
  4. Maria Tachibana (:ultzss:, :starman::starman:)
  5. Iris Chateaubriand (:ultwendy:, :starman:)
  6. Kohran Li (:ultrob:, :starman::starman:)
  7. Kanna Kirishima (:ultryu:, :starman::starman::starman:)
  8. Orihime Soletta (:ultrosalina:, :starman::starman:)
  9. Reni Milchstraße (:ultswordfighter:, :starman:)
  10. Four Death Lords (:ultchrom::ultzelda::ultness::ultganondorf:, :starman::starman::starman:)
  11. Erica Fontaine (:ultpeach:, :starman::starman::starman:)
  12. Gemini Sunrise (:ultdaisy:, :starman::starman::starman:)
  13. Shinjiro Taiga (:ultmarth:, :starman::starman:)
  14. Sakura Amamiya (Sakura, :starman::starman:)
  15. Seijuro Kamiyama (:ultchrom:, :starman::starman::starman:)
Yeah the Classic mode is what I struggled with the most the intent is; the characters on the bottom are on your side and on top are the opponents. It was meant to represent both the Demons and the friendship factor present in the series.
Well, you can always post it in this thread if you wanna go into more depth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sakura Amamiya is such a wholesome and likeable character that at this point I pray she is at least an alt in Smash similar to the DQ8 Hero if she can't be a main fighter.

I ended up liking the character a lot by seeing her grow and overcome a lot of her problems by working hard.

amageish

Smash Master
Sakura Amamiya is such a wholesome and likeable character that at this point I pray she is at least an alt in Smash similar to the DQ8 Hero if she can't be a main fighter.

I ended up liking the character a lot by seeing her grow and overcome a lot of her problems by working hard.
Do the Sakuras have especially similar abilities? I know the new game has a different combat system, but I don't know how similar her actual moves are to her namesake.

I do love Sakura's arc in the game. Her story is really well-written and has some philosophically/morally interesting moments. I do kind of wish the other girls got her level of character development...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Do the Sakuras have especially similar abilities? I know the new game has a different combat system, but I don't know how similar her actual moves are to her namesake.
I don't know how to answer that question without sounding like a smart aleck, so here's NintenZ NintenZ 's thoughts:
So I was thinking about it, and I’m not sure if the Sakuras could be alts of each other. While their appearances and mannerisms are similar they have a couple key differences involving how some attacks are used (Shinguji for example has Cherry Blossom Smite for example while Amamiya has Cherry Blossom Blizzard both as their special attacks) so I’m wondering if they would be Echo Fighters of each other instead included in the same fighter pack. Either way I can’t see one getting in without the other because one is extremely iconic and has a legacy, and the other they’re gonna want to include to promote the new game and they’re also sort of pushing her as a new mascot of sorts for the series (She's been in tons of collabs recently and was the only other SW character in the SEGA UFO contest besides Shinguji herself).

amageish

Smash Master
I don't know how to answer that question without sounding like a smart aleck, so here's NintenZ NintenZ 's thoughts:
Ahhhh, okay. So, it'd be a Chrom/Roy situation where they share mostly the same moves but with a couple key differences? With the echo theory for ARMS having not panned out, I'm skeptical about it happening at all, but it's a neat idea!

Personally, I'm surprised to hear confidence that Amamiya would be included, honestly. Given how Shinguji's in-universe legacy still has an impact on the new game, I figured they could just go with her and have a trailer where a young Amamiya briefly appears celebrating that her idol has gotten into Smash. I generally don't like trailers that include characters not getting in Smash Bros, but at least that'd be wholesome fangirling and not people actively trying/failing to get the invite...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think they'd skirt over the issue by saving Shinguji for Smash 6. This game has basically established that echoes are base game-only, and with Amamiya being kind of a big deal, they'd likely want to do a little more with her than just be an alt.

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly, I think they'd skirt over the issue by saving Shinguji for Smash 6. This game has basically established that echoes are base game-only, and with Amamiya being kind of a big deal, they'd likely want to do a little more with her than just be an alt.
It's possible, though I doubt they'd consciously "save" anything for Smash 6 at this point, given Sakurai's comment about not wanting to think about how one follows up Ultimate. If they want Sakura Wars content, then I think they'll put something in Smash. If they don't, then they don't. I doubt competing protagonists would stop them if they really wanted to do it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's possible, though I doubt they'd consciously "save" anything for Smash 6 at this point, given Sakurai's comment about not wanting to think about how one follows up Ultimate. If they want Sakura Wars content, then I think they'll put something in Smash. If they don't, then they don't. I doubt competing protagonists would stop them if they really wanted to do it.
In any case, Sega might have some deal prepared once Smash 6 becomes a thing. I'm not saying Sakurai himself would think of it. :p

Right now they most likely didn't even think of the idea way before the fans did.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Personally, with how SEGA has been promoting Amamiya, the fact she’s very relevant, and the amount of similarities she has to Shinguji, but Shinguji being important and iconic in her own right, I cannot see one getting in without the other.

At the same time I don’t know about alts because there’s a couple notable differences between the two in terms of slight personality differences (Amamiya is less confident in herself and experienced than Shinguji is kinda like how Lucina is less experienced and more flimsy in her sword fighting than Marth is) and they also have different Final Smashes (As mentioned before Shinguji uses Cherry Blossom Smite while Amamiya uses Cherry Blossom Blizzard) so if you ask me I think they’d be Echo Fighters. I don’t know if it would be in her Fighter Pack or included separately because I’m uncertain if including Amamiya as a bonus would boost the price or not, but I definitely see it happening cause I don’t see one without the other with one being a recent character that new fans will recognize while the other one will be a legacy character long-time fans and possibly even outsiders (mostly referring to Japan specifically) will recognize.

So yeah that’s my thoughts, I think both Sakuras will get in with each other.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Personally, with how SEGA has been promoting Amamiya, the fact she’s very relevant, and the amount of similarities she has to Shinguji, but Shinguji being important and iconic in her own right, I cannot see one getting in without the other.

At the same time I don’t know about alts because there’s a couple notable differences between the two in terms of slight personality differences (Amamiya is less confident in herself and experience than Shinguji is kinda like how Lucina is less experienced and more flimsy in her sword fighting than Marth is) and they also have different Final Smashes (As mentioned before Shinguji uses Cherry Blossom Smite while Amamiya uses Cherry Blossom Blizzard) so if you ask me I think they’d be Echo Fighters. I don’t know if it would be in her Fighter Pack or included separately because I’m uncertain if including Amamiya as a bonus would boost the price or not, but I definitely see it happening cause I don’t see one without the other with one being a recent character that new fans will recognize while the other one will be a legacy character long-time fans and possibly even outsiders (mostly referring to Japan specifically) will recognize.

So yeah that’s my thoughts, I think both Sakuras will get in with each other.
Again, I'm unfamiliar with pre-Amamiya Sakura Wars, so pardon my igorence.

I see that point, but I also doubt we'd get echo fighters at this point, even if it's the best way of representing the characters... Byleth and Byleth do have more unique character animations then a lot of model swap characters, so they could maybe have Sakura and Sakura hold their swords differently while doing the same actual strikes?

Here's a weird question: Could you imagine an original-ish Final Smash that both could share? Some sort of cross-generational team attack featuring everyone (probably called "Flower Divsion, Move Out," given that phrase's prevalence)?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Again, I'm unfamiliar with pre-Amamiya Sakura Wars, so pardon my igorence.

I see that point, but I also doubt we'd get echo fighters at this point, even if it's the best way of representing the characters... Byleth and Byleth do have more unique character animations then a lot of model swap characters, so they could maybe have Sakura and Sakura hold their swords differently while doing the same actual strikes?

Here's a weird question: Could you imagine an original-ish Final Smash that both could share? Some sort of cross-generational team attack featuring everyone (probably called "Flower Divsion, Move Out," given that phrase's prevalence)?
I mean yeah I guess they could streamline them like with Byleth and give them different sets of animations but at the same time they’re different enough from each other where I think different slots are justified, after all, Sakurai said if there’s one gameplay difference then the characters have to be separated, I don’t recall any of Byleth’s attacks having drastically different animations between alts like Lucina or Daisy do.

As for the Final Smash, it’s an interesting idea you bring up, and I definitely think Shinguji at least will get some assistance from Erica and Gemini, but at the same time Cherry Blossom Smite is her most iconic move and is something I really can’t see them not including, just like how Cloud had to have Omnislash or Joker had to have All-Out Attack it’s a move that’s basically synonymous with her so it would be strange seeing them not include it just to accommodate for alts, but hey you never really know for sure. ;)

At the same time you do bring up really good points but I don’t know, I think it would be strange of them to introduce the concept of Echo Fighters, and then not do anything with it after release, especially since they’re allegedly very easy to produce ya know? That and with the remaining placeholder slots that could easily be filled by them, it all kind of falls into place for me personally, but hey, that’s just my line of thinking.

amageish

Smash Master
I mean yeah I guess they could streamline them like with Byleth and give them different sets of animations but at the same time they’re different enough from each other where I think different slots are justified, after all, Sakurai said if there’s one gameplay difference then the characters have to be separated, I don’t recall any of Byleth’s attacks having drastically different animations between alts like Lucina or Daisy do.

As for the Final Smash, it’s an interesting idea you bring up, and I definitely think Shinguji at least will get some assistance from Erica and Gemini, but at the same time Cherry Blossom Smite is her most iconic move and is something I really can’t see them not including, just like how Cloud had to have Omnislash or Joker had to have All-Out Attack it’s a move that’s basically synonymous with her so it would be strange seeing them not include it just to accommodate for alts, but hey you never really know for sure. ;)

At the same time you do bring up really good points but I don’t know, I think it would be strange of them to introduce the concept of Echo Fighters, and then not do anything with it after release, especially since they’re allegedly very easy to produce ya know? That and with the remaining placeholder slots that could easily be filled by them, it all kind of falls into place for me personally, but hey, that’s just my line of thinking.
Good point! Byleth/Byleth do have more unique animations then most alts (like, I'm fairly certain more then Olimar and long-suffering Alph in spite of them being properly different characters), but they do also have the advantage of regularly materializing new weapons to use. So, that makes their different default sword stances not matter for ~75% of their attacks, which obviously wouldn't be the case with the Sakuras.

That's true as well, but we do have things like Min Min's "ARMS Rush" and Hero's "Gigaslah" where they do the iconic move but also call on friends? It seems like cameo-ridden Final Smashes are especially popular in DLC. Could it be something completely insane where she does the move and calls in cross-dimensional friends? I can't easily find an animation of the attack by googling... As for Sakura's atttack, well, she's a fangirl; maybe she just wants to LARP as Shinguji for a bit? It'd be a stretch, but not too much weirder then PK Starstorm being done by Ness/Lucas...

This is valid. I do agree that Echo Fighters are a weirdly half-baked concept as we have them now, but I've become skeptical to the idea of further DLC given Sakurai's routine comments about just having 5 characters left and a general feeling of "If they were doing this, then it'd be easy to have announced it by now"...

D

Deleted member

If they ever make Sonic All Stars Racing 3, I would love to see Sakura Amamiya playable with a track based on the Tokyo from the PS4 game.

Would be cool with the steampunk theme and all.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
If they ever make Sonic All Stars Racing 3, I would love to see Sakura Amamiya playable with a track based on the Tokyo from the PS4 game.

Ever since they added Vyse to Transformed I've been hoping for a Sakura Wars character to appear. Maybe next time if they get to it!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know I completely forgot to bring this up before but...
Take note of a familiar store at the top right of this image.
38C02F81-93B6-4F3E-8E0C-94D51F12EA7C.jpeg

I’m just saying, if SEGA is lending out some more of their characters for crossovers, you probably know where I’m going with this, call it the SNK effect if you will.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 279034
I’m just saying, if SEGA is lending out some more of their characters for crossovers, you probably know where I’m going with this, call it the SNK effect if you will.
Yeah, I feel we will be seeing SEGA doing a lot of collabs this year with other gaming studios as a way to push their anniversary celebration.

Which is why I feel SEGA has plans with Nintendo regarding that, be It Smash or some kind of other work.

Personally hoping It ends up being Sakura Wars and Alex Kidd content in Smash (ideally both with fighters but more realistically the former being with a fighter and the latter as a Mii costume), but It could always turn out to be something else.

I feel positive on Sakura overall.

amageish

Smash Master

I really hope they go back to that franchise sometime... They seemed kind of hesitant to include some of their more "anime" IPs last game and it'd be nice to see them in the game... Also add ATLUS content plz

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 279034

Even if Sakura doesn't make it in, I'd be thrilled if Kazuma Kiryu got in Smash, especially since the series creator doesn't seem to believe that Sakurai would be interested in including him. It helps that the series was briefly on the Wii U, so that's pretty much enough for entry.

Of course, getting in Tekken first would be the slightly less bigger deal.

I really hope they go back to that franchise sometime... They seemed kind of hesitant to include some of their more "anime" IPs last game and it'd be nice to see them in the game... Also add ATLUS content plz
That is all on Sumo Digital. They have been pretty quiet on the Sega front recently, and they'll certainly be busy with Sackboy.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Even if Sakura doesn't make it in, I'd be thrilled if Kazuma Kiryu got in Smash, especially since the series creator doesn't seem to believe that Sakurai would be interested in including him. It helps that the series was briefly on the Wii U, so that's pretty much enough for entry.

Of course, getting in Tekken first would be the slightly less bigger deal.
I feel Kiryu is better suited for a game like Tekken actually, I don’t really see him popping up in Smash Bros anytime soon, he’s just not as natural of a fit for a game like Smash due to his more methodical playstyle and with his series being more grounded in realism which contrasts with Smash’s art style, but he could be a Mii Costume as those are more exaggerated and the Brawler fits him well.

Yakuza is definitely a notable series in it’s own right but I can’t see it being chosen over Sakura Wars or Puyo Puyo. (Although I’m skeptical on the latter due to the lack of recent games but who knows?)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel Kiryu is better suited for a game like Tekken actually, I don’t really see him popping up in Smash Bros anytime soon, he’s just not as natural of a fit for a game like Smash due to his more methodical playstyle and with his series being more grounded in realism which contrasts with Smash’s art style, but he could be a Mii Costume as those are more exaggerated and the Brawler fits him well.
I'd argue that Kiryu fits in Smash better than someone like Snake, since Yakuza is inherently more of a goofy series than Metal gear.

View attachment 279034
Dude, if Kiryu ends up in Tekken 7 that'll be the thing that gets me to buy the game, I'm no Tekken player but I'll main my boy in anything.

I picture Sakura's final smash to be her in Kobu, riding alongside Gemini, Erica and the other Sakura and doing an attack together, like the Megaman legends and Gigaslash fi al smashes.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I was thinking actually.

I’ve been uncertain for awhile but when do you think Sakura would be announced? I’m personally thinking before the end of the year we’ll have at least two more fighters announced but I do want to hear your thoughts!

amageish

Smash Master
That is all on Sumo Digital. They have been pretty quiet on the Sega front recently, and they'll certainly be busy with Sackboy.
I forgot they were the dev team for that... Well, we'll see what they do after Sackboy, I suppose.

So I was thinking actually.

I’ve been uncertain for awhile but when do you think Sakura would be announced? I’m personally thinking before the end of the year we’ll have at least two more fighters announced but I do want to hear your thoughts!
Hard question! A Direct well-timed for maximum viewership in Japan?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hard question! A Direct well-timed for maximum viewership in Japan?
So probably in the morning or afternoon for us if they were to go for that.

Considering Hero was in the morning it would probably be the former.

Perkilator

Smash Legend

This is basically my feelings as well. To put it simply:

D

Deleted member

Sakura could be announced alongside a reveal of a Switch port of Sakura Wars PS4 too.

Similar to how Cloud got announced alongside the many FF and DQ 3DS ports back in Smash 4.

amageish

Smash Master
Sakura could be announced alongside a reveal of a Switch port of Sakura Wars PS4 too.

Similar to how Cloud got announced alongside the many FF and DQ 3DS ports back in Smash 4.
I'm generally skeptical about a character getting into Smash meaning a Switch port (I mean, at this point, more third-parties in Smash have had their reveals not followed by ports then those who have), but Sakura Wars both definitely could work on Switch and the possibility has been floated by the games' director. So, yeah, I could see this being a game bucking the trend.

Have any of the Sakura Wars games been released via Sega Ages in Japan? That could be a good chance for those ports too...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm generally skeptical about a character getting into Smash meaning a Switch port (I mean, at this point, more third-parties in Smash have had their reveals not followed by ports then those who have), but Sakura Wars both definitely could work on Switch and the possibility has been floated by the games' director. So, yeah, I could see this being a game bucking the trend.

Have any of the Sakura Wars games been released via Sega Ages in Japan? That could be a good chance for those ports too...
Not yet, a straight port of the Saturn version probably won’t work because Saturn games are notoriously hard to work with, but they could use the PS2 ports’ source code as a basis for porting.

amageish

Smash Master
Not yet, a straight port of the Saturn version probably won’t work because Saturn games are notoriously hard to work with, but they could use the PS2 ports’ source code as a basis for porting.
That's unfortunate. It'd be nice to get them on modern hardware and maybe even localize the originals? Probably asking for too much though...

I'm aware there are PC versions and fanslations, but on Switch would be nice and accessible.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That's unfortunate. It'd be nice to get them on modern hardware and maybe even localize the originals? Probably asking for too much though...

I'm aware there are PC versions and fanslations, but on Switch would be nice and accessible.
A lot of people have said this and I agree, the Switch is the perfect platform for the series due to the pick-up-and-play nature of it which helps that the Switch is a portable platform, I find that the series would be right at home here honestly.

I do wonder if SEGA could work with the fans for the translations? After all the reason why the series came back to begin with was because of it’s dedicated following so it would be rather fitting if I don’t say so myself haha.

amageish

Smash Master
I do wonder if SEGA could work with the fans for the translations? After all the reason why the series came back to begin with was because of it’s dedicated following so it would be rather fitting if I don’t say so myself haha.
That'd be super cool if it happened! I know XSeed and a few nicher video game publishers have paid to use fan translations before, but it'd be interesting precedent to see Sega do such a thing.

Also, I am officially addicted to Hanafuda. Whoops. Between this and Tycoon, I'm starting to think I have a problem with card game side-modes in video games...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That'd be super cool if it happened! I know XSeed and a few nicher video game publishers have paid to use fan translations before, but it'd be interesting precedent to see Sega do such a thing.

Also, I am officially addicted to Hanafuda. Whoops. Between this and Tycoon, I'm starting to think I have a problem with card game side-modes in video games...
I’m gonna say this I think one of the biggest reasons I want Sakura Wars on Switch is so I can play Koi-Koi on the go lol.

I also told SEGA this in the feedback survey released awhile back but I hope they add multiplayer for it for a potential Switch version.

amageish

Smash Master
Top Bottom