• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack! Imperial Floral Assault Group! Sakura Shinguji for Smash Ultimate! (The Curtain Closes This Time, But the Taisho Era Continues...)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

New Geki is No. 1 on the JP iTunes store
Also game is being marketed a ton

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Made a Twitter thread on why I think Sakura has a chance.

I strongly think she's a dark horse candidate for FP5 and has a ton going for her, check it out!
There was a problem fetching the tweet

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Made a Twitter thread on why I think Sakura has a chance.

I strongly think she's a dark horse candidate for FP5 and has a ton going for her, check it out!
There was a problem fetching the tweet
You know, I've had a similar thought about Sakura myself. I really feel that f she isn't FP5, she'll be added somewhere down the line. Actually, I think the SEGA characters likely as DLC are Arle Nadja, Sakura Shinguji, and Kiryu (and maybe Ryo Hazuki).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know, I've had a similar thought about Sakura myself. I really feel that f she isn't FP5, she'll be added somewhere down the line. Actually, I think the SEGA characters likely as DLC are Arle Nadja, Sakura Shinguji, and Kiryu (and maybe Ryo Hazuki).
Actually there’s a few reasons I think she could be as soon as next, I’ll go over them:
-Some of you may be aware of the Milk-BOATSU leak that described a female fighter with a curved weapon plad in a Japanese kimono but specified as not Reimu from Tohou Project that would be released as Fighter Pack 5, the description fits Sakura remarkably well and is really the only character it could fit since the only other one, Nakoruru, has been confirmed to be a Mii Outfit
-Probably the most damning piece of evidence is that Shin Sakura Wars releases the very NIGHT of the Game Awards in Japan, considering last year Smash’s release directly tied into the Game Awards and the show is simulcast across the world, it would absolutely make sense for there to be a tie-in for it especially since it’s releasing in the West the following year and could probably use the extra marketing boost
-Multiple insiders have implied the character for FP5 is allegedly one that will be VERY surprising and one that not many people are speculating, Sakura definitely fits both of those which is why she’d make sense for that quota
-Somewhat miscellaneous note but Sakura would explain the missing Lloyd costume, both have copyrights tracing back to manga artist Kosuke Fujishima, who handles character designs for both franchises, as a result it would make sense if the costume was held off to release with Sakura as thematically it fits

Anyways that’s all I have, take it as you will. (Also if she is next I REALLY hope her trailer starts off with Segata Sanshiro telling you to play SEGA Saturn lmao)

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
(Also if she is next I REALLY hope her trailer starts off with Segata Sanshirontelling you to play SEGA Saturn lmao)
I imagine either a play or a musical (involving the other smash girls, of course) ending with everyone applauding, while one of the edgy boys (Dark Pit, Wolf) complains about it with Segata siting next to him in (manly) tears over how awesome it was.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Actually there’s a few reasons I think she could be as soon as next, I’ll go over them:
-Some of you may be aware of the Milk-BOATSU leak that described a female fighter with a curved weapon plad in a Japanese kimono but specified as not Reimu from Tohou Project that would be released as Fighter Pack 5, the description fits Sakura remarkably well and is really the only character it could fit since the only other one, Nakoruru, has been confirmed to be a Mii Outfit
-Probably the most damning piece of evidence is that Shin Sakura Wars releases the very NIGHT of the Game Awards in Japan, considering last year Smash’s release directly tied into the Game Awards and the show is simulcast across the world, it would absolutely make sense for there to be a tie-in for it especially since it’s releasing in the West the following year and could probably use the extra marketing boost
-According to multiple insiders, the character for FP5 is allegedly one that will be VERY surprising and one that not many people are speculating, Sakura definitely fits both of those which is why she’d make sense for that quota
-Somewhat miscellaneous note but Sakura would explain the missing Lloyd costume, both have copyrights tracing back to manga artist Kosuke Fujishima, who handles character designs for both franchises, as a result it would make sense if the costume was held off to release with Sakura as thematically it fits

Anyways that’s all I have, take it as you will. (Also if she is next I REALLY hope her trailer starts off with Segata Sanshirontelling you to play SEGA Saturn lmao)
didnt that data for "Jane" have a ponytail

huh...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
-According to multiple insiders, the character for FP5 is allegedly one that will be VERY surprising and one that not many people are speculating, Sakura definitely fits both of those which is why she’d make sense for that quota

Anyways that’s all I have, take it as you will. (Also if she is next I REALLY hope her trailer starts off with Segata Sanshiro telling you to play SEGA Saturn lmao)
Oh, my goodness. I can't even begin to tell you how much you've got me all hyped right now. While I would like to see Arle sooner rather than later, Sakura is another SEGA character I've been low-key hoping for. That said, the first point you've made alone (regarding the Milk-BOATSU leak I've been hearing so much about on the Shantae thread) is enough to excite me right now, considering how Reimu and Nakoruru both don't seem all too likely for FP5 (For the record, I don't anything against these two, and would like to see them in Smash one day).

As for the second point, it makes me wonder... do you think Sakura SHINGUJI and Sakura AMAMIYA will both be added to Smash Ultimate, pulling sort of a Captain Olimar/Alph on us?

The third point DOES fit right up Sakura's alley...

For the misc. point, thanks for the tidbit. I've seen Tales' artwork, and I always wondered if Sakura Wars and that series shared the same artist. I've always loved their art, actually.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
As for the second point, it makes me wonder... do you think Sakura SHINGUJI and Sakura AMAMIYA will both be added to Smash Ultimate, pulling sort of a Captain Olimar/Alph on us?

The third point DOES fit right up Sakura's alley...

For the misc. point, thanks for the tidbit. I've seen Tales' artwork, and I always wondered if Sakura Wars and that series shared the same artist. I've always loved their art, actually.
New game was confirmed in march last year

So if they caught wind, a Amamiya alt is likely

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
didnt that data for "Jane" have a ponytail

huh...
You know that is true, she does use a curved weapon in the form of a katana kinda like an elongated version of Joker’s knife so it does make you wonder...

You know I was actually thinking about this earlier, yeah I could see it honestly, from what’s been seen of Sakura Amamiya she seems very similar to Sakura Shinguji in both design and abilities so I could see them being an Olimar/Alph style character.

I do wonder however if they’d share the same announcer call though since Roy and Roy Koopa’s are both different from each other.
Yeah it’s such a distinct style and I really do love it, he really does bring out a lot of flair to the characters that he designs.

You know though on a side-note I was wondering, do any of you think the Sakura Wars content in Smash would be dubbed or do you think it’ll stay in Japanese? After all Sakura does have an English VA in the form of Wendee Lee.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
You know that is true, she does use a curved weapon in the form of a katana kinda like an elongated version of Joker’s knife so it does make you wonder...

You know I was actually thinking about this earlier, yeah I could see it honestly, from what’s been seen of Sakura Amamiya she seems very similar to Sakura Shinguji in both design and abilities so I could see them being an Olimar/Alph style character.

I do wonder however if they’d share the same announcer call though since Roy and Roy Koopa’s are both different from each other.

Yeah it’s such a distinct style and I really do love it, he really does bring out a lot of flair to the characters that he designs.

You know though on a side-note I was wondering, do any of you think the Sakura Wars content in Smash would be dubbed or do you think it’ll stay in Japanese? After all Sakura does have an English VA in the form of Wendee Lee.
Stay Japanese
Part of Sakura Wars appeal is its VA's who also play those characters in irl theater plays
Sakura without Chisa Yokoyama would be bizarre

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I also think she might be FP5 I also thought of what her spirit board could be.

Ichiro
Character: :ultmarth:(White alt), Sakura Minion
Stage Imperial Theater
Reinforcements will appear
Enemies get occasionally stronger.

Sumire
Character: :ultdaisy:(Purple alt)
Stage: Imperial Theater
Enemy starts with Reaper's Scythe.
Enemy keeps it's distance.

Maria
Character: :ultsheik:(Black Alt)
Items: Freezie, Ray Gun
Enemy starts with Staff
Floor is covered with Ice

Iris
Character: :ultlucas:(Orange and Blue striped alt)
Stage: Imperial Theater.
Enemy has a preference with using Throws.
Pokemon will occasionally appear(Bewear)

Kohran
Character: :ultinkling:(Purple alt)
Items: Bombs
Enemy starts with Super Scope

Kanna
Character: :ultbrawler:(Fighter Uniform, Ninja Headband)
Enemy's punches are strong for a short period of time

Orihime
Character: :ultcorrinf:(Black Alt)
Enemy has a preference towards Special Moves(Mainly Neutral B)
Enemy starts with Steel Diver

Reni
Character: :ultcorrin:(Default)
Enemy has preference towards Side Smashes.

Erika
Character: :ultzelda:(Brown Alt), Minion: :ultmarth:(White Alt)
Stage: Luminose City
Enemy starts with Ray Gun and Super Leaf
Enemies will occasionally get stronger

Gemini
Character::ultgunner:(Lip Wig, Wild West Outfit) x2
Stage: Gerudo Valley
Enemy starts with Beam Sword
Enemy gets stronger overtime.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, yeah... So far nothing's really come out of that yet, has it?

Yeah, that's gong to be a tricky thing to work around...

I know, right?

I wouldn't mind either, personally. But it's weird, I thought her games (whether they were localized or not) only used the Japanese voices...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I wouldn't mind either, personally. But it's weird, I thought her games (whether they were localized or not) only used the Japanese voices...
Not So Long My Love, that’s the only one to be localized in English.

The anime however has been localized in English by ADV Films and Funimation respectively.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I also think she might be FP5 I also thought of what her spirit board could be.

Ichiro
Character: :ultmarth:(White alt), Sakura Minion
Stage Imperial Theater
Enemies get occasionally stronger.

Sumire
Character: :ultdaisy:(Purple alt)
Enemy starts with Reaper's Scythe.
Enemy keeps it's distance.

Maria
Character: :ultsheik:(Black Alt)
Items: Freezie, Ray Gun
Enemy starts with Staff
Floor is covered with Ice

Iris
Character: :ultlucas:(Orange and Blue striped alt)
Stage: Imperial Theater.
Enemy has a preference with using Throws.
Pokemon will occasionally appear(Bewear)

Kohran
Character: :ultinkling:(Purple alt)
Items: Bombs
Enemy starts with Super Scope

Kanna
Character: :ultbrawler:(Fighter Uniform, Ninja Headband)
Enemy's punches are strong for a short period of time

Orihime
Character: :ultcorrinf:(Black Alt)
Enemy has a preference towards Special Moves(Mainly Neutral B)
Enemy starts with Steel Diver

Reni
Character: :ultcorrin:(Default)
Enemy has preference towards Side Smashes.

Erika
Character: :ultzelda:(Brown Alt), Minion: :ultmarth:(White Alt)
Stage: Luminose City
Enemy starts with Ray Gun and Super Leaf
Enemies will occasionally get stronger

Gemini
Character::ultgunner:(Lip Wig, Wild West Outfit) x2
Stage: Gerudo Valley
Enemy starts with Beam Sword
Enemy gets stronger overtime.
I think that, judging by how the DLC spirit battles has been handled so far, the sole Legend spirit would either be the whole team together or the final boss or a bigger entity from the game. Or dad Shinguji :estatic:

I'd also include a Koubu (or all of them together) as a spirit, since it's a key part of the series and I'm sure Sakurai and his team would want to implement it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So important news has dropped:
Shinguji will return in Shin Sakura Wars.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
1575868336746.jpg

4 more days until release(in japan)
Game is out!

DLC outfits (including some of familiar characters:
Project-Sakura-Wars-DLC-DualShockers-1.jpg
Project-Sakura-Wars-DLC-DualShockers-2.jpg
Project-Sakura-Wars-DLC-DualShockers-4.jpg
Project-Sakura-Wars-DLC-DualShockers-6.jpg
Project-Sakura-Wars-DLC-DualShockers-8.jpg

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm legitimately shocked TGA did nothing involving Project Sakura Wars.

You'd think since SEGA is pushing the game so hard, wants it to succeed in the West, and it released in Japan literally last night that they'd have done something but I guess not.

It was kind of why I actually thought she'd be announced there, she could still be announced as FP5 considering there's other things pointing towards her but I found this very jarring.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Huge spoilers on characters from previous games

All of the previous Revues are stuck in Gento, the Kouma Emperor is still to big of a threat to casually set them free. The current teams had big enough of a problem when just dealing with one of Kouma Emperor's underlings.

Sumire seemingly believes they are still fighting there in Gento. But it's been 10 years, and it's looks like a hellscape from the little that was seen when it was partial released before the new teams closed the seal again.

Yasha is only a kouma seemingly made from strands of Sakura's hair. She gets killed by Amamiya after she and Kamiya saw Yasha's disfigured face that was under the mask.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
English patch is out!

Btw Mednafen is an emulator that kinda needs a bit of guidance if you want to use so make sure you look up guides on installing it, configuring controls, and playing games with mutiple disc

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Haven't been here for quite a while, but as :ultgreninja:'d by Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy :

The history's being finally made! We're now able to experience the legendary, beloved title that started it all!

English patch is out!

Btw Mednafen is an emulator that kinda needs a bit of guidance if you want to use so make sure you look up guides on installing it, configuring controls, and playing games with mutiple disc

Or you can also take a much more accessible approach via using Retroarch's integrated Mednafen Saturn-core.

At least I'm going to do so, even if the leading member in the patch development team chastised me for it.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Posting some songs from new game, unlisted them in case SEGA gets pissed

All new Kagekidan theme's:

New Version of Miracle Bells:

Credits music:

Will do the character theme's later

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey!

Been a fan of Sakura Wars for a long time.
... not... the games, because I haven't played them. But I love Sakura's design, and I watched a couple of episodes from the series.

However I've always wanted to play the games, but I'm never sure where to start (the first one would be ideal), or which games are accessible in this gen.
And the new one, how far along is it as far as story goes?
I see on the opening post that all the main ones are on PC, but they're not on Steam sadly.

Anyways, as a die-hard SEGA fan, and fan of great character designs, I approve of Sakura. I think she could bring an interesting moveset involving her mech.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Hey!

... not... the games, because I haven't played them. But I love Sakura's design, and I watched a couple of episodes from the series.

However I've always wanted to play the games, but I'm never sure where to start (the first one would be ideal), or which games are accessible in this gen.
I see on the opening post that all the main ones are on PC, but they're not on Steam sadly.

Anyways, as a die-hard SEGA fan, and fan of great character designs, I approve of Sakura. I think she could bring an interesting moveset involving her mech.
You can play Sakura Wars V very easily on a PS2 emulator. Its the only one localized.

The first game translation were complete today if you look above. You will need some guidance on how to work Saturn emulators like Mednafen or Retroarch.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hey!

As one fella who's known you for a long while, looks like you're still full of surprises! (I happen to be Kirbster98/IndyGoNagaretton in DA.)

Much like Captain Shwampy said, you're in for luck regarding the first game, which had just released the long-awaited english fan translation - later you can then try out either PS2 or Wii-versions of Sakura Wars V: So Long My Love.

It's indeed quite fortunate how we're finally getting the first game translated just before the localization of Project Sakura Wars, especially with having most media spun off from it that ended up being the more localized, well-known iterations of the franchise outside of Japan (like the OVAs, anime and manga). I feel that's going to help build up a considerable amount of new following in next months.

Anyway, I have made tweet which'll help you set up Retroarch for playing the game, and also linking to a helpful video going through the patching process. Retroarch's much easier to use and work with than Mednafen in it's standalone emulator format, so I highly suggest using that for ease of getting in to the 1st game's full experience.

I hope you'll have fun!

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Btw OVA's and Movie are canon and usually take place between and after the events of the games they correspond to
Sakura Wars -> OVA1 -> Sakura Wars 2 -> OVA2 -> Sakura Wars 3 -> OVA3 -> Movie -> Sakura Wars 4 -> OVA4 -> Sakura Wars Story: Mysterious Paris -> Sakura Wars V Episode 0 -> Sakura Wars V -> OVA5 -> Sakura Wars DS -> Sumire OVA -> New Sakura Wars

I assume the new anime OVA might continue that tradition

TV anime is a separate universe and non canon

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
TV anime is a separate universe and non canon
You can say that again~ :100:

I'm still appreciating the diverting of Ayame's fate in TV, where she gets to stay alive and even get few bullets of defiance on Aoi Satan/Shinnosuke Yamazaki.

Now the show itself was... jarring, to say the least. Dunno why they had to go all their way to turn something very light-hearted and cheesy-ish 90s' anime-incensed games to something trying to be like Neon Genesis Evangelion in means of "tragedies" and seriousness.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You can play Sakura Wars V very easily on a PS2 emulator. Its the only one localized.

The first game translation were complete today if you look above. You will need some guidance on how to work Saturn emulators like Mednafen or Retroarch.
Thanks. I think that SW5 might be the easiest one to get.

As one fella who's known you for a long while, looks like you're still full of surprises! (I happen to be Kirbster98/IndyGoNagaretton in DA.)

Much like Captain Shwampy said, you're in for luck regarding the first game, which had just released the long-awaited english fan translation - later you can then try out either PS2 or Wii-versions of Sakura Wars V: So Long My Love.

It's indeed quite fortunate how we're finally getting the first game translated just before the localization of Project Sakura Wars, especially with having most media spun off from it that ended up being the more localized, well-known iterations of the franchise outside of Japan (like the OVAs, anime and manga). I feel that's going to help build up a considerable amount of new following in next months.

Anyway, I have made tweet which'll help you set up Retroarch for playing the game, and also linking to a helpful video going through the patching process. Retroarch's much easier to use and work with than Mednafen in it's standalone emulator format, so I highly suggest using that for ease of getting in to the 1st game's full experience.

I hope you'll have fun!

Thank you too! Oh, yeah, I do recall that UN!
Can’t say I’m too active on DA lately. Since I started sucking at drawing, I’ve been distant.

But I miss drawing fan art.

But yeah, always wanted to give this series a chance. But SEGA never made it easy. I still have magazines with articles of imports where SW showed up back in the Saturn era.

Why won’t they just round them all up, translate them, and release a collection? :(
(Jk, it’s SEGA).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Why won’t they just round them all up, translate them, and release a collection? :(
(Jk, it’s SEGA).
I believe it's kind of complicated matter, especially if exploring the very Japanese-oriented motive of the games - though cancelling Sakura Taisen World Project was quite a big blow on the series to make a true jump outside of Japan. But at least Sakura Wars V: So Long My Love, managed to endure the ordeal, and prior then a lot became acquainted through more animated media of the series.

However, with Project Sakura Wars coming soon localized, I feel there indeed might be winds of change coming - or at least, it's more easier than ever for fans to rally for the collection today. In all respects, this series has come long way after being in a rather long state of limbo between cameos and mobile games, and I'm glad SEGA's picking it up again. :4pacman:

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh the English version is out today?

Guess I know what I’m downloading later tonight...

(Debating on if I should date Sakura, Sumiere, or Maria tbh)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Character theme's incoming
Chisa still got it

Sakura Amamiya's Theme
Hatsuho's Theme
Azami's Theme
Anastasia's Theme (my fav)
Clarissa's Theme

Division Theme's:
Wind Division (Sumire still the best)
Moon Division

Some early concept art of Sakura, Ogami, and Koubus were found

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
According to Famitsu New Sakura Wars has sold 140k physical copies in its first week and thats only physical. Digital sales tend to be 37% of game sells in Japan.

Im gonna say around 190k- 200k which means the game has already surpassed Sakura Wars V lifetime sales. Thats pretty good for a ps4 only game.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Would Shinguji and Amamiya be compatible as alts of each other, Echo Fighters, or are they so significantly distinct enough that putting them in would require them to be individually unique characters?

If that were the case, they'd probably be referred to by surname first so you can tell who's who. Assuming, of course, Amamiya lives up to the legacy of Shinguji.

I feel like waiting for the 2020 western release is a good idea, since Saturn emulation goes way over my head. But if Persona is any indication, this would be one great series to get into. (As in, I did this with Persona in September and now I'm hooked on it. I imagine that Sakura Wars is liable to do the same.)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Would Shinguji and Amamiya be compatible as alts of each other, Echo Fighters, or are they so significantly distinct enough that putting them in would require them to be individually unique characters?

If that were the case, they'd probably be referred to by surname first so you can tell who's who. Assuming, of course, Amamiya lives up to the legacy of Shinguji.

I feel like waiting for the 2020 western release is a good idea, since Saturn emulation goes way over my head. But if Persona is any indication, this would be one great series to get into. (As in, I did this with Persona in September and now I'm hooked on it. I imagine that Sakura Wars is liable to do the same.)
Once you finish the 4th game you will cry and think about how great every girl in these games are.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

They have similar designs, mannerisms, and abilities, so I feel they'd work better as alternate costumes of each other than Echo Fighters.

I personally think Yasha would be a better Echo Fighter for Sakura since they have different personalities.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

It's funny, I had this EXACT same question shortly (I think about a week?) before the VGAs this year in regards to Sakura in Smash.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So did any of you actually play the translations for first game?

Surprise to see no discussion

Top Bottom