• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack! Imperial Floral Assault Group! Sakura Shinguji for Smash Ultimate! (The Curtain Closes This Time, But the Taisho Era Continues...)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
There's a gameboy color game?
Sega gave up on the handheld market and released a couple SW games on the Gameboy similar to how Microsoft released some of their IPs on the DS

Funny enough people seem to still think Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the first Sega game on a Nintendo Console

Well, yes.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/franchise/1705-sakura-wars

There's also a Columns spin-off, but that's besides the point.
Columns spin off has a great credits song with all the Teito revue girls + Kaede singing

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Erica's Voice Actor is the woman singing for the new theme for SMB:BB remake
Also Zenigata from Lupin the 3rd VA is singing as well

Thought that was neat

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And the Saturn version of Sakura Wars 1 that i ordered arrived... just in time for my TV to die, just my luck. Guess I'm gonna have to set up an emulator after all. Which would be a shame, because the Saturn is one of my favorite consoles. But man, it's still in very good condition for being so old, the map/poster has no creases or rips, the stickers are all there, the mouse pad still sealed, even the pamphlets that always come with games are still there. Too bad about the TV though

The GBC also looks much better in person. Normally I dislike clear cases for game consoles, but this is a pretty cute shade of pink and the cherry blossoms are also much more noticeable when compared to google pictures.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I've been watching the anime (halfway through it) and I noticed that there isn't much fighting outside of the Koubu. How much fighting the girls themselves do in the games?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I've been watching the anime (halfway through it) and I noticed that there isn't much fighting outside of the Koubu. How much fighting the girls themselves do in the games?
Sakura slices a enemy in half in the beginning
Lobelia shoots fire out of her palms
Erica has a cross gun she uses several times
Kanna and Ohgami fight the guards at sumire's house
Glycine pulls out a giant axe several times and even challenges ohgami to a fight
Gemini has a split personality where she gets aggressive and uses a samurai sword and gun to take down criminals (the joke is a shes weaboo cowgirl) she actually has a spin off game where she fight entirely on horseback

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hmmm i wonder who this mysterious masked woman that has the same VA of Sakura could possible be

Artix

Smash Journeyman

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Hmmm i wonder who this mysterious masked woman that has the same VA of Sakura could possible be
Wow.

I'd never thought I'd see a Char Clone in a Sakura Wars game. Seriously, that's the first thing I thought when I first saw this.

I feel like Yasha is Sakura who had basically go down a darker path or being brainwashed or something...

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Heh, I was wondering if she was going to show up in some way, there she is! :laugh:

Hope she becomes playable a some point, maybe in post game or new game+ (is there such thing in Sakura Wars?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Surprised no one mentioned this yet, bunch of news, the biggest one being that the new game is also getting an Anime adaptation. Seems like Sega is going all out for this release to bring the franchise back from the dead.
Link

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Another day and even more news: a stage play has been revealed, just like the old games had. In addition to that, the special edition of the game (at least in Japan so far) comes with a soundtrack consisting of music tracks from all over the series. And lastly, Sakura's character song has now been posted on the official Sega YT channel.
I said it before and I'll say it again, they're really going all out with this release. It feels like we're back in the 90s, where the series was at the height of its popularity.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
1568539304187.png

according to the manga, that Koubu wasn't specifically designed for Amamiya, it was sitting in the basement behind a blocked-off door, was presumably in storage for a decade, and is equipped with a single katana.

Pretty sure that it was piloted by or at least meant for old Sakura

Artix

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 238417

according to the manga, that Koubu wasn't specifically designed for Amamiya, it was sitting in the basement behind a blocked-off door, was presumably in storage for a decade, and is equipped with a single katana.

Pretty sure that it was piloted by or at least meant for old Sakura
Huh. So it was meant to be some sort of an upgraded Koubu for the Old Sakura...I guess that explains how it is very similar to the Old Sakura's Koubu, especially the color.

D

Deleted member

You guys remember when i was listing all the different GB special editions and brought up these character based ones?
6 different character packs based on what I assume are the main girls (Alice, Kanna, Kouran, Maria, Sakura and Sumire) but I can't find any information on those. For all I know, it might just have been the packaging? Google ain't helpful either here, but I'll see if I can some more infos later.
I did manage to find some more info on this actually. Each of the 6 editions comes with a pin based on the game's boxart and what seems to be a keychain of the girl whose box you bought.
(only one I could find in decent quality)

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i'm not too familiar with sakura wars, but since it seems relevant i may as well post the sakura leak that cropped up today

(thumbnail; click for image in all its blurry glory)

1569451338486.png

not too sure what to think of it: the skirt detailing is pretty poor (potentially due to being an in-development model akin to e3 2018 mario as per its associated /v/ post), but closely inspected, a lot of the finer details--particularly the modeling around the edges of her gloves--are above and beyond what i've come to expect from most render leaks, and none of the facial details are ripped from existing fighters (or if they are, have been transformed significantly beyond recognition).

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Reminds me of the days of the Agnes "leak". We'll have to wait and see how long the killswitch for this one is.
agnes leak was a pretty easy debunk because it snatched assets straight from other characters (marth's nose, palutena's eyes) without altering them at all

this one will need more thorough searching through existing 3D models of sakura, because as far as smash is concerned it's all original

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
i'm not too familiar with sakura wars, but since it seems relevant i may as well post the sakura leak that cropped up today

(thumbnail; click for image in all its blurry glory)

View attachment 239558

not too sure what to think of it: the skirt detailing is pretty poor (potentially due to being an in-development model akin to e3 2018 mario as per its associated /v/ post), but closely inspected, a lot of the finer details--particularly the modeling around the edges of her gloves--are above and beyond what i've come to expect from most render leaks, and none of the facial details are ripped from existing fighters (or if they are, have been transformed significantly beyond recognition).
Looks like the same model from the star ocean mobile crossover

I posted it a couple pages back before the new game was shown at sega FES

EDIT
Here:
https://twitter.com/SOA_SQEX/status/1084721925622947841?s=19

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Looks like the same model from the star ocean mobile crossover

I posted it a couple pages back before the new game was shown at sega FES
yup, you're right - taken directly from this

zferolie

Smash Hero
Fast debunk it seems.

Now, i know the series but i want to make sure... did that mangaka of Ah! My Goddess do the designs for this series? I absolutely love that series

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a related staff note, the former writer of the series, Satoru Akahori, also worked on Samurai Pizza Cats (yes).

You can give everything post-Soul Society arc of bleach crap, but his character designs were always good
Fixed that for you, since mileage may vary on everything after that arc.

The best to benefit from his designs are the girls, no doubt, so they picked well there.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I don't know anything about Sakura Wars, but it's quite clear that it's popular in Japan, and Sakura sounds like a great character too. I love Swordfighters especially those who're skilled in Iado. So count me in as a supporter for Sakura.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

New characters designed by by Itou Noizi, best known for her work on the Suzumiya Haruhi series.

Azami's Theme

and FMV cutscenes of theater plays confirmed

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Sakura wars was represented in SEGA's company intro in the sonic movie a few times. It's something small, but it's really cool to see SEGA pushing it internationally, - even when it's very trivial.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
New characters:

Amamiya Tekkan (Hayami Shou) is Amamiya Sakura’s father, who is a blacksmith. He raised Sakura on his own after his wife passed away. He does not speak much and is a stereotypical artisan, and is strict but also kind and reliable. He is familiar with protagonist Kamiyama as well, calling him “Sei-bon”.

Amamiya Hinata (Kouda Mariko) is Sakura’s mother, who passed away at the age of 27. Her forward-looking demeanour and unwillingness to ever give up was a great influence on Sakura, who inherits these qualities from her. Sakura’s sword Amamiya Kunisada was also passed on to her from her mother.

Mochizuki Yattansai (Satou Masaharu) is the leader of the Mochizuki ninja village, who raised Azami and taught her the 108 rules of the village. He has been having Azami keep a diary ever since she joined the Imperial Assault Revue and comes to Tokyo every week to check it.

Murasame Hakushuu (Sawashiro Miyuki) is a female swordsman who taught Sakura her skills. Nobody knows her age or where she comes from. She has great sword skills, is highly intelligent, and possesses a cool yet genial personality, but has a tendency to confuse those around her with her habit of coming up with and using bad puns.

She was designed by Persona artist Soejima Shigenori

hanafuda minigame and Battle Simulator in which you can replay missions again were revealed.

And a another Puyo Puyo crossover

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Demo is up on JP PSN. It's short but it's fun to explore the Imperial Theater, they went above and beyond with the detail of the place. Sumire's ringtone being a polyphonic version of GekiTei is a cute touch.

Top Bottom