• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack! Imperial Floral Assault Group! Sakura Shinguji for Smash Ultimate! (The Curtain Closes This Time, But the Taisho Era Continues...)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I guess what I could argue on this is that Puyo Puyo was actually featured way back in Sega Superstar Tennis as one of the minigame modes, for all what it's worth:

Makes me confused why no Fever-characters or even Arle though, s your point still kind of stands.
Like 5 years ago they reskinned puyo puyo quest with generic food characters

THANK GOD Puyo Puyo Tetris changed their minds

Video game /m/ properties getting in mainline SRW still seems to be a barrier (outside the couple of weird excursions by Virtual-On), but at least some never-evers have managed to get in, in the meantime (Harlock, Cowboy Bebop, Rayearth and Wataru). It may only be a question of time at this point.
They finally added a Brave series (Might Gaine) other than GaoGaiGar too

Last edited:

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Video game /m/ properties getting in mainline SRW still seems to be a barrier (outside the couple of weird excursions by Virtual-On), but at least some never-evers have managed to get in, in the meantime (Harlock, Cowboy Bebop, Rayearth and Wataru). It may only be a question of time at this point.
Yeah, I agree. I am still surprised by the inclusion of Cowboy Bepop in SRW. For Captain Harlock, I was a bit surprised, but it was something I expected since they have Yamato in V and Nadia in X.

The funny thing about Rayearth is that it's actually the most heavily requested series in SRW for 20 years. The only reason it didn't appear until now was because CLAMP refused to let them in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I agree. I am still surprised by the inclusion of Cowboy Bepop in SRW. For Captain Harlock, I was a bit surprised, but it was something I expected since they have Yamato in V and Nadia in X.

The funny thing about Rayearth is that it's actually the most heavily requested series in SRW for 20 years. The only reason it didn't appear until now was because CLAMP refused to let them in.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if I remembered that right. Good that they finally got lenient and changed their minds.

As for Sakura Wars, there's the fan rule of "killing is badong!", even though there's the workaround of enemy human pilots ejecting upon defeat.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's the problem Sakura Wars had. And the majority of the Gundam series (except maybe A Wakening of the Trailblazer) are all about killing people, so either they exclude them (which is highly unlikely) or make them post-series and not feature any enemy human pilots (SRW MX is a great example of this as even though the UC Gundam series are still there, no enemies from that series appeared at all). Like I said, the only Gundam series that isn't about killing people is the Gundam 00 movie and maybe G Gundam.

Also, are there any series that might fit in with Sakura Wars? For me, Code Geass always comes to mind. And VOTOMS because the Kohbu kinda resembles the Scopedog, isn't it?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's the problem Sakura Wars had. And the majority of the Gundam series (except maybe A Wakening of the Trailblazer) are all about killing people, so either they exclude them (which is highly unlikely) or make them post-series and not feature any enemy human pilots (SRW MX is a great example of this as even though the UC Gundam series are still there, no enemies from that series appeared at all). Like I said, the only Gundam series that isn't about killing people is the Gundam 00 movie and maybe G Gundam.

Also, are there any series that might fit in with Sakura Wars? For me, Code Geass always comes to mind. And VOTOMS because the Kohbu kinda resembles the Scopedog, isn't it?
Well, besides the copyright hell of Giant Robo, there is the obscure OVA Kishin Corps.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

In terms of settings that are similar to the taisho period, Nadia is close.

Giant Robo works well too since Sakura Wars focus on many characters from different countries working under a special government fighting against Kouma's and Beastmen is kinda similar in the Giant Robo universe where the international police has characters from different countries fighting against Big Fire. Tetsujin 28 works well too since one of major parts of its setting is post WW2 japan being influenced by western culture which is similar to SW. Although as mentioned before Yokoyama works all have insane copyright issues now.

Wataru could work since its the same creator.

Gunbuster would work with the whole female focused characters

Gundam 0079, Turn A Gundam, and Sakura Wars all share the parallels to imperial japan ideals fighting against post war Japan ideals

Maybe King Gainer and Giant Gorg I guess? I can see them fitting well with SW

Last edited:

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to stop by to show my support but also get a discussion going on how many times the creators tried to get the franchise localized but couldn't.

It's so weird as Sega of Japan clearly had plans to localize it to the west, and yet almost every time something would stop them. First their was the man who was partially responsible for Sega's hardware downfall, Bernie Stolar, and his odd decision to basically ignore the systems more "Japanese" titles. I think this image is a pretty decent representation of the events that took place under his authority:
Then when they remade the first two for the PSP they specifically did it so that the franchise could get localized finally and were even localizing the anime and movie. Then Sony came along and didn't let them release it in the west, for no good reason. Thankfully we at least got the anime and later on, thanks to NISA, got 5. (There's many more attempts and stories about the push for these game to get localized but you get the point.) So after all this you could probably see how I'm still shocked how we're getting Shin Sakura and having it actually be localized in house. I also remember in a deleted tweet Scott Stritchart (Main guy that localizes Yakuza) made when the localization announcement came out saying that there was going to be more "surpises" that would be localized, so maybe we're in the good timeline where the HD collection comes out and gets an English release. I'm not getting my hopes up as I think we're lucky enough to be getting the new game, but that's not gonna stop me from showing my demand for the product.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Next stream is tomorrow 8 PM Japan time . Will be showing koubu gameplay I think.

also enjoy this cute fan art
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Koubu Gameplay is now a ARPG

>Each country’s combat revue’s characters features a different character designer, and the Shanghai combat revue is designed by Horiguchi Yukiko. Producer Katano Tooru suggested that London’s combat revue will be revealed next.

>Sega Games chief product officer Nagoshi Toshihiro joined producer Katano Tooru in discussing the changes in the battle system, and they said that when looking at what they wanted the game to be, they decided that they wanted the battle system to reflect what Sakura Wars 3’s opening movie showed combat to be like.

• Regular attacks are performed with the square and triangle buttons, and can be combined into different combos.
  • The player can also dash to traverse long distances quickly, jump, and use steps to dodge attacks.
  • Special attacks, which are powerful cinematic attacks unique to each character can be performed when a special gauge is filled by defeating enemies or collecting specific items. Fulfilling special conditions also allows Kamiyama to perform special combination attacks with other team members.
  • Perfect dodges are performed by using a step at the exact time of an enemy attack, and allow the player to perform a powerful counter.
  • The bond gauge represents Kamiyama’s bond with other team members, and higher bonds result in them becoming stronger. The initial level of the bond gauge is determined by Kamiyama’s actions during the adventure parts, and the gauge can also be raised by performing certain actions in combat.

>The Wu Shen Long’s mechs, the spirit fighters Wang Long (”King Dragon” in Chinese) and their pilot uniforms were also revealed.

https://www.frontlinejp.net/2019/07...on-released-july-2019-release-date-announced/

Shangai Kakigeden Team revealed:

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

>Each country’s combat revue’s characters features a different character designer, and the Shanghai combat revue is designed by Horiguchi Yukiko. Producer Katano Tooru suggested that London’s combat revue will be revealed next.

>Sega Games chief product officer Nagoshi Toshihiro joined producer Katano Tooru in discussing the changes in the battle system, and they said that when looking at what they wanted the game to be, they decided that they wanted the battle system to reflect what Sakura Wars 3’s opening movie showed combat to be like.

• Regular attacks are performed with the square and triangle buttons, and can be combined into different combos.
  • The player can also dash to traverse long distances quickly, jump, and use steps to dodge attacks.
  • Special attacks, which are powerful cinematic attacks unique to each character can be performed when a special gauge is filled by defeating enemies or collecting specific items. Fulfilling special conditions also allows Kamiyama to perform special combination attacks with other team members.
  • Perfect dodges are performed by using a step at the exact time of an enemy attack, and allow the player to perform a powerful counter.
  • The bond gauge represents Kamiyama’s bond with other team members, and higher bonds result in them becoming stronger. The initial level of the bond gauge is determined by Kamiyama’s actions during the adventure parts, and the gauge can also be raised by performing certain actions in combat.

>The Wu Shen Long’s mechs, the spirit fighters Wang Long (”King Dragon” in Chinese) and their pilot uniforms were also revealed.

https://www.frontlinejp.net/2019/07...on-released-july-2019-release-date-announced/

So wait, we're getting multiple countries' Kagekidan? That's awesome.

Artix

Smash Journeyman

I like the design. The green one, in particular, is my favorite because of the tail.

Also, the guy's name is Yang Xiaolong? Oh god, let's hope he doesn't say any terrible puns....or have a shotgun gauntlet.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Sakura Amamiya's theme from the stream:

Also,

Found a obscure piano Sega only music album
Has Sakura Wars 3 credits music The Future [Voyage] on it and other famous songs like Dreams Dreams from NiGHTS , Space Harrier theme, I Just Smile from Burning Ranger, etc

Also enjoy some fanart

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
From Project X Zone 2, Sakura was the coolest character I didn't know before playing it and would love to see her in Smash (plus I can't get "Geki! Teikoku Kageki-Dan" out of my head, no matter which version I listen lol). Sign me in!

I know nothing about Sakura Wars beyond what's shown in PXZ2 so I have to ask: Who is the main character in the game? Smash always picks the main character and, while I don't dislike any of them, none of them are as cool as Sakura Shinguji.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Potentially good news coming, a reputable leaker just got something.

For gamescom?
Thats cool.
Didn't think we'd see the game until next year for localization

also next stream is on Wednesday
New revue group to be revealed

From Project X Zone 2, Sakura was the coolest character I didn't know before playing it and would love to see her in Smash (plus I can't get "Geki! Teikoku Kageki-Dan" out of my head, no matter which version I listen lol). Sign me in!

I know nothing about Sakura Wars beyond what's shown in PXZ2 so I have to ask: Who is the main character in the game? Smash always picks the main character and, while I don't dislike any of them, none of them are as cool as Sakura Shinguji.
Ogami is the MC for SW1-4
Shinjiro is MC for SW5
Sakura is the MC in the anime
the girls are focus point in the OVAs

Sakura, Erica, and Gemini are the marketed girls in their respective games

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Ichiro may be the protagonist stand in but Sakura is on the box art and the series is named after her. I feel like this would be a Robin situation where Sakura would get in before Ogami, and Ogami would be part of her Final Smash.

The series is about the girls, not the stand in protags.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My stance is, Sak has yet to break the "protag-first" pattern for any third party. DQ in particular is a huge deal since most people expected the secondary characters or even Slime to get in first (given that Heroes seldom get touched for crossovers, not even Fortune Street).

For gamescom?
Thats cool.
Didn't think we'd see the game until next year for localization

also next stream is on Wednesday
New revue group to be revealed
Yeah, odds are that Gamescom will do the official reveal around that time.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Sakura Wars is about the girls

The core thing is that it represents these women who come from different crazy backgrounds as normal everyday people

You have Sumire, comes from wealthy life style and shows a smug attitude due to that, however she can also be a sweet person who likes dogs, has dreams of becoming a famous actress, has fear of spiders, and a appreciation for tea making.

Erica is a clumsy idiot but on the other hand shes a nun that has faith in her god, cares for children, tries to hand friensdhip to even a dangerous criminal like Lobelia.

Sakura is seen a "Yamato Nadeshiko" however she has faults. She's scared of lightning due to a traumatic moment in her childhood, she easily gets jealous, she makes mistakes during plays. You wont find her in grand places, she usually just swiping the floors of theatre or being a big sister to iris.

The characters have layers and its you the player/Ogami thats witnessing their everyday lives

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Games boxart

New characters:
The London Combat Revue, the Knights of the Round Table were revealed:

Arthur is the captain of the Knights of the Round Table. 18 years old, he is from a noble family of knights that inherited the sword Excalibur. His name, Arthur, is actually a title passed down through his family. Though usually fair, chivalrous and gentlemanly, which makes him popular with ladies, he becomes aggressive and arrogant in battle.

Lancelot is a member of the Knights. 17 years old, she is brave and aggressive, leading the charge in battle. She uses two swords and black clothes, leading to her being called the Black Knight. She is cheerful and does not spend much time mulling over things, typically choosing to act before thinking.

New Mascot character designed by Ken Sugimori (Yes the Pokemon artist):

Flik

Smash Journeyman
With the answers I got (many thanks, people!) I was thinking about saying that the game is like Pokemon where the girls are like the Pokemon (the main draw) and the main character is like the trainer (the character you control who's not the main draw). Then that mascot appeared :joyful:

This new game is looking good but will likely be hella expensive for me (plus I don't exactly own a PS4), hopefully I'll be able to get it sometime next year.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
A little disappointed there but I guess it makes since considering the battle system is so similar to that of Valkiria chronicles. Guess they should stand out

D

Deleted member

I've been interested in trying that franchise out for a long time already, guess between Project Sakura Wars game and Persona Royal it's time to get a PS4.

On another note, what would be the best way to try the franchise out? Or rather, is there even a way? From what little I know, the only game that ever got translated was the Wii one. Would that be the only way or do any fan translations exist for the older ones?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I've been interested in trying that franchise out for a long time already, guess between Project Sakura Wars game and Persona Royal it's time to get a PS4.

On another note, what would be the best way to try the franchise out? Or rather, is there even a way? From what little I know, the only game that ever got translated was the Wii one. Would that be the only way or do any fan translations exist for the older ones?
Well the anime and the movie have an english dub.

The movie acts as a prequel to the Wii game so that's covered and I don't know if the anime is canon or not.

I think the furst game got a fan translation but I could be wrong on that.

And there's Project X Zone which might as well be canon since it takes place in between games 5 and 6.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Play 1 and 2 on PPSSPP
Play 3 and 4 on demul

1 and 2 have dreamcast ports but it weirdly freezes on demul so idk about those vesions
3 and 4 run perfectly
each game has a complete translation guide on gamefaq although their mostly specific to Sakura's route so if you want to romance the other girls you're going to have to guess what their saying during their specific romance scenes
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/dreamcast/258930-sakura-taisen/faqs

Not entirely sure how good Mednafen runs the saturn versions

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't even know there was an Anime, might indeed be worth checking out.

Well, thanks guys, sounds like game-wise, there aren't any options to play the Sega based games without a guide by my side. I checked and the fantranslation of the first game is still a WIP. Knowing that I think I might just go for the Saturn version, eBay currently has both limited editions on sale, so I might go for one of them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Action-based is good for me, at any rate it should blow over better than Project S.T.E.A.M.'s attempt at it. It reminds me a bit of Bulk Slash in that sense.

Also, anyone else amused by the fact that Tite Kubo is handling character design duties this time?

Well the anime and the movie have an english dub.

The movie acts as a prequel to the Wii game so that's covered and I don't know if the anime is canon or not.

I think the furst game got a fan translation but I could be wrong on that.

And there's Project X Zone which might as well be canon since it takes place in between games 5 and 6.
The OVAs are faithful to the games. The TV show, however, not that much, so I would recommend not touching that one.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I didn't even know there was an Anime, might indeed be worth checking out.

Well, thanks guys, sounds like game-wise, there aren't any options to play the Sega based games without a guide by my side. I checked and the fantranslation of the first game is still a WIP. Knowing that I think I might just go for the Saturn version, eBay currently has both limited editions on sale, so I might go for one of them.
The OVAs and Movie is canon
The anime is not canon

Id suggest playing through games first before watching the OVA since they take place before and after certain parts of the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I decided to cave in and bought the first game for the Saturn, now all that's left is waiting for it to arrive. And because I'm dumb and love cute things, I also got the Sakura Taisen GBC edition (sans game though, just the handheld). Guess that means I've started my foray into the franchise proper now.

D

Deleted member

There's a gameboy color game?
In fact, there are two even:
Sakura Taisen GB
Sakura Taisen GB2

The first game had multiple different special editions:
As for the second game, this one also came with a special edition (seems to be tradition at this point), though unlike the first game it only had one and was far more ordinary. That one simply came with a "Sakura Wars" branded Gameboy pouch.

That should sum up the GB games and their editions, more or less.

Top Bottom