• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack Canceling w/ Puff!

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Attack canceling holds a lot of potential for puff, and I would even advocate that to get anywhere competitively with her, this tech MUST be mastered, even though Jigglypuff's potential with attack canceling is not as powerful as other characters. My experimentation is still in its infancy, but I wanted to get the discussion going regardless.

Not only is it difficult to consistently perform, but there are also some caveats to attack canceling. The most relevant is that you can only short hop to use an aerial out of an attack cancel. This doesn't benefit puff due to her short range, particularly when applying pressure on platforms, and also using dair. Not much of the info I collected so far can be applied to those aspects of Jigglypuff's neutral or combo game. Of course, this also can't be used in the air.

It's most exigent application is with bair. Bair was an extremely useful tool for puff for practically each iteration of smash. In Smash 4, it provided excellent spacing, a powerful autocancel, a kill option, and also a pressure option, if used correctly. Going into Ultimate, I was probably just as disappointed as the rest of you when bair was effectively nerfed by the turnaround mechanic, where if you bair once, Jigglypuff will turn around and fair next time you throw out an aerial. This limits Jigglypuff's mobility, and deprives her of one of her greatest tools. However, with attack canceling, and more specifically a tilt cancel or what My Smash Corner called an "Instant Reverse", you can throw out several bairs at a time without a turnaround when on the stage, and with decent speed. I haven't found many relevant combos quite yet, but the option alone will significantly improve Jigglypuff's options in neutral since she gains a valuable spacing tool and pressure tool. This is by far the greatest thing attack canceling offers for puff.

For many characters, attack canceling can give them options to tech chase on platforms, as My Smash Corner demonstrated. That won't be relevant with puff because of the fact that our short hop is, well, short. Too short. There is a possibility to use an attack cancel up air to punish teching on platforms, but because of the short hop, it will be difficult to follow through with a combo or a string. If possible, it's still best to try and punish without using this tech, as other options, such as a normal bair, nair, dair, or rest, seem more attractive.

The last valuable aspect I see with attack canceling is our spacing. An attack cancel will cancel any forward momentum, so spacing fairs and even nairs become more safe in neutral, and are able to be tossed out more frequently, though be careful on creating any habits or relying on approaching because of this. This tech helps, but Puff's neutral is relatively the same, and it's dangerous to be the one approaching with Puff.

If y'all find anything, feel free to share. This is early experimentation, and there could be more potential with this tech for puff.

Top Bottom