• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At this point, Smash has to be the most beatiful thing that ever happened to video games.

ze9

Smash Ace
It simply HAS to be, right? I mean...

I remember when :ultmegaman: was announced for Smash 4.
I didn't really have any past with the character, but I remember that seeing his fans being so happy was really heart-warming to me. I still remember one of the commentators of that E3 Invitational, screaming "SUPER FIGHTING ROBOOOOOOOT" at the top of his lungs when Mega Man got the Smash Ball.
The hype was justified. Mega Man's series really looked dead as a dodo at the time, Capcom wasn't giving it any consideration, Inafune had left, and the most the fans could hope for was a Kickstarter-founded spiritual sequel (Mighty no. 9).
Then, here comes Smash. Mega Man gets resurrected, with animations matching his NES games 1:1, with his most iconic music tracks, with cameos from other beloved bosses and characters. Mega Man gets back in the spotlight and gets acclaimed like he always should have been. His fans are happy, and other people get to try and appreciate his series (like me, for example, after his inclusion in Smash I played through all his NES catalogue).

Then, last year, practically the same thing happened to Castlevania.

This year, it was my turn. Or rather, Banjo-Kazooie's turn, one of the series that I've always held dearest, and that had been unjustly forgotten from its developers and its publishers (not from the fans though, as evidenced by the world cup final-like reactions and by the fact that we broke the internet).
Banjo and Kazooie are back home, with all the other Nintendo characters. They are just like they've always been, though of course they got revisited and modernized with perfect taste and attention to detail. They have all of their moves, and with them, there's Gruntilda, Bottles, Mumbo, the Spiral Mountain, Kirkhope's amazing music tracks...
Banjo's inclusion seemed so impossible, too, since the series is owned by Microsoft, which is theoretically one of Nintendo's direct competitors. And yet, here they are. Not only that, but Nintendo, Sakurai, Rare, Kirkhope, Phil Spencer, the Mayles brothers, and the fans are all congratulating each other and patting each other's backs all over Twitter and other social media. That's just as heartwarming as Banjo's inclusion itself.

Before it actually happened, it really looked impossible, though, just like many other things that have happened to Smash.
There was no way Namco wouldn't impose Pac-man's design from Ghostly Adventures.
No way Square would let Nintendo use the orchestral arrangements for Dragon Quest, the West always gets the MIDIs.
No way Snake could come back after Smash 4, let alone having Simon Belmont join the fight, too.
No way Nintendo would put in K. Rool, he's dead and forgotten - and Ridley? He's too big, Sakurai doesn't want him in.
Cloud? Sonic? Pipe dreams.
Yet, in the end, the worries always vanish and the dreams become reality (though Final Fantasy's music and artworks are apparently too much even for Sakurai)

Against all odds, Sakurai managed to create the biggest and most ambitious crossover in gaming (and maybe more), including properties and characters from the most disparate time periods and companies.
Not only that; every single character is treated with tons of love and with the utmost respect and care for the original material. :ultolimar: can't fight if he doesn't pluck his pikmin, :ultkirby: can copy everyone's abilities, :ultlink: has all his most iconic weapons, :ultcloud: has all his Limit Breaks,:ultlittlemac:has his K.O. meter from the arcade games, :ultridley:and :ultkrool:'s movesets pull from all of their boss fights, :ultvillager:'s skillset is just the things you normally do in Animal Crossing, :ultrob:'s moves mirror the movements he could do in his little plastic toy original appearance, :ulticeclimbers: fight paired, :ultyoshi: does just the things he could do in Yoshi's Island, :ultpiranha: is actually very faithful to his canon appearances, :ultryu: gets his original combos and button inputs... Everyone comes with some kind of gimmick, of course. It's not only the character that gets adapted to the game, it's also the game that adapts itself around the character. Like, little things like giving Kirby all the Monado Arts, or having both the younger and older :ultike: are really going the extra mile. Or even certain details on the clones, like seeing :ultdarksamus:'s arm cannon break open and then recompose when she uses her most powerful attacks, are really something else. This goes for basically everyone. If you think about just how many characters are now in the game, that's just crazy. Their quantity and their quality are both top notch.

Smash has really become a videogame museum, an art gallery. The game that immortalizes other games by putting next to each other their respective characters, locations, items and music tracks: what made them so beloved in the first place. And every single of them becomes even more special because of this synergy.
It gives credence to series that have been recently successful (like Splatoon or Persona), and it revitilizes old series that touched the hearts of gamers but have been since swept by the wayside (like Banjo-Kazooie or F-Zero).
Each time, it feels like a miracle, and each time, both the fans and the creators are surprised and extremely pleased.
Then of course, thanks to Smash everyone gets the opportunity to try the original series of every character, turning all of us in well-mannered and cultured gamers. It made me a Mother fan, for example.
Plus, at this point, Smash contains a great number of gaming's most iconic and beloved series from disparate companies and time periods. If you think about all the people that somehow got involved with this game, it's just crazy. I mean, among the others we have characters designed by freaking Akira Toriyama.

And above all this, Smash somehow manages to be both a balanced and fun fighting game and a great party game. Sakurai is a madman. A madman that can accomplish his goals.

Don't be sad if your character of choice still isn't playable. I was overall very disappointed by the way Smash 4 turned out, but this time I've got all my mains back, and then I've got the Belmonts, I've got K. Rool. I've got Ridley.
And I've got Banjo and Kazooie. I've been waiting for those two to join the fight ever since I saw those four '?' in Smash 64's selection screen! And I'm sure that sooner or later, Dixie will join the fight too.
I'm so pleased right now, and I'm sure many other fans are just as pleased as me, if not thanks to Banjo in particular, surely thanks to someone else. And that's fine. Smash is everybody's party. And from here, there's no way to go but up.

Greetings,
A satisfied fan.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
For me, it could be, if online was fixed and if all singleplayer modes were more than quick event matches. I see basically all singleplayer content in this game as the same thing. Each spirit battle in World of Light is basically some random spirit battle of the Spirit Board, just inserted in a map, and even Classic Mode if you look at each individual battle, each one of these battles is basically.. well.. some quick battle with some configuration that make it basically be the same as a Spirit Battle (without spirits, but this is irrelevant). I think the game lacks some good singleplayer content, all the singleplayer content are quick battles with random properties, the only difference is that in one mode they are spaced in a map, in the other mode you select them in a menu with cards and in the other mode you play them in sequences of 6 or 7 battles, but they all the same, you have always the same feeling. If you are not a fan of these kind of quick event battles, you basically have 3 main big modes to not enjoy in the game, cause they all work the same way. They can add as many character they want, I will enjoy all of them, but I'm already fulfilled with the characters, and I'm not satisfied with the online and singleplayer content, and I play game modes in games, not really characters, and add more characters will not make me have more fun if the game modes are not so great or work in a good way (online).

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
There are still some companies that have had no inclusion in Smash -- for example, there has never been a playable Disney character, nor has there ever been a playable DreamWorks character. And there's never been a playable Digimon character. So there's still room for expansion (in terms of adding new fighters in a hypothetical Smash 6). But overall, what has been done in Ultimate is still amazing -- bringing together more than 80 different playable characters from different universes.

As L lucasla said, the main problem with Ultimate is it's online mode, which has frustrated players for a number of reasons (such as constantly-changing rules -- "preferred rules" ignoring a player's criteria). Some have said that Ultimate's online mode is broken, while others have called it trash. But other then that, Ultimate has surpassed its predecessors. As you said, the Smash series is probably the best thing that has ever happened to video games.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
There are still some companies that have had no inclusion in Smash -- for example, there has never been a playable Disney character, nor has there ever been a playable DreamWorks character. And there's never been a playable Digimon character. So there's still room for expansion (in terms of adding new fighters in a hypothetical Smash 6). But overall, what has been done in Ultimate is still amazing -- bringing together more than 80 different playable characters from different universes.

As L lucasla said, the main problem with Ultimate is it's online mode, which has frustrated players for a number of reasons (such as constantly-changing rules -- "preferred rules" ignoring a player's criteria). Some have said that Ultimate's online mode is broken, while others have called it trash. But other then that, Ultimate has surpassed its predecessors. As you said, the Smash series is probably the best thing that has ever happened to video games.
There will never be a Disney or DreamWorks character. Digimon is a video game, so had a possibility but suggesting Disney or DreamWorks is kinda stupid. The onto
Argument I can see is for Sora since he’s owned partly by Disney, but it would go through both Square and Disney.

Lenidem

Smash Lord

I remember when :ultmegaman: was announced for Smash 4.
I didn't really have any past with the character, but I remember that seeing his fans being so happy was really heart-warming to me. I still remember one of the commentators of that E3 Invitational, screaming "SUPER FIGHTING ROBOOOOOOOT" at the top of his lungs when Mega Man got the Smash Ball.
The hype was justified. Mega Man's series really looked dead as a dodo at the time, Capcom wasn't giving it any consideration, Inafune had left, and the most the fans could hope for was a Kickstarter-founded spiritual sequel (Mighty no. 9).
Then, here comes Smash. Mega Man gets resurrected, with animations matching his NES games 1:1, with his most iconic music tracks, with cameos from other beloved bosses and characters. Mega Man gets back in the spotlight and gets acclaimed like he always should have been. His fans are happy, and other people get to try and appreciate his series (like me, for example, after his inclusion in Smash I played through all his NES catalogue).

Then, last year, practically the same thing happened to Castlevania.

This year, it was my turn. Or rather, Banjo-Kazooie's turn, one of the series that I've always held dearest, and that had been unjustly forgotten from its developers and its publishers (not from the fans though, as evidenced by the world cup final-like reactions and by the fact that we broke the internet).
Banjo and Kazooie are back home, with all the other Nintendo characters. They are just like they've always been, though of course they got revisited and modernized with perfect taste and attention to detail. They have all of their moves, and with them, there's Gruntilda, Bottles, Mumbo, the Spiral Mountain, Kirkhope's amazing music tracks...
Banjo's inclusion seemed so impossible, too, since the series is owned by Microsoft, which is theoretically one of Nintendo's direct competitors. And yet, here they are. Not only that, but Nintendo, Sakurai, Rare, Kirkhope, Phil Spencer, the Mayles brothers, and the fans are all congratulating each other and patting each other's backs all over Twitter and other social media. That's just as heartwarming as Banjo's inclusion itself.

Before it actually happened, it really looked impossible, though, just like many other things that have happened to Smash.
There was no way Namco wouldn't impose Pac-man's design from Ghostly Adventures.
No way Square would let Nintendo use the orchestral arrangements for Dragon Quest, the West always gets the MIDIs.
No way Snake could come back after Smash 4, let alone having Simon Belmont join the fight, too.
No way Nintendo would put in K. Rool, he's dead and forgotten - and Ridley? He's too big, Sakurai doesn't want him in.
Cloud? Sonic? Pipe dreams.
Yet, in the end, the worries always vanish and the dreams become reality (though Final Fantasy's music and artworks are apparently too much even for Sakurai)

Against all odds, Sakurai managed to create the biggest and most ambitious crossover in gaming (and maybe more), including properties and characters from the most disparate time periods and companies.
Not only that; every single character is treated with tons of love and with the utmost respect and care for the original material. :ultolimar: can't fight if he doesn't pluck his pikmin, :ultkirby: can copy everyone's abilities, :ultlink: has all his most iconic weapons, :ultcloud: has all his Limit Breaks,:ultlittlemac:has his K.O. meter from the arcade games, :ultridley:and :ultkrool:'s movesets pull from all of their boss fights, :ultvillager:'s skillset is just the things you normally do in Animal Crossing, :ultrob:'s moves mirror the movements he could do in his little plastic toy original appearance, :ulticeclimbers: fight paired, :ultyoshi: does just the things he could do in Yoshi's Island, :ultpiranha: is actually very faithful to his canon appearances, :ultryu: gets his original combos and button inputs... Everyone comes with some kind of gimmick, of course. It's not only the character that gets adapted to the game, it's also the game that adapts itself around the character. Like, little things like giving Kirby all the Monado Arts, or having both the younger and older :ultike: are really going the extra mile. Or even certain details on the clones, like seeing :ultdarksamus:'s arm cannon break open and then recompose when she uses her most powerful attacks, are really something else. This goes for basically everyone. If you think about just how many characters are now in the game, that's just crazy. Their quantity and their quality are both top notch.

Smash has really become a videogame museum, an art gallery. The game that immortalizes other games by putting next to each other their respective characters, locations, items and music tracks: what made them so beloved in the first place. And every single of them becomes even more special because of this synergy.
It gives credence to series that have been recently successful (like Splatoon or Persona), and it revitilizes old series that touched the hearts of gamers but have been since swept by the wayside (like Banjo-Kazooie or F-Zero).
Each time, it feels like a miracle, and each time, both the fans and the creators are surprised and extremely pleased.
Then of course, thanks to Smash everyone gets the opportunity to try the original series of every character, turning all of us in well-mannered and cultured gamers. It made me a Mother fan, for example.
Plus, at this point, Smash contains a great number of gaming's most iconic and beloved series from disparate companies and time periods. If you think about all the people that somehow got involved with this game, it's just crazy. I mean, among the others we have characters designed by freaking Akira Toriyama.

And above all this, Smash somehow manages to be both a balanced and fun fighting game and a great party game. Sakurai is a madman. A madman that can accomplish his goals.

Don't be sad if your character of choice still isn't playable. I was overall very disappointed by the way Smash 4 turned out, but this time I've got all my mains back, and then I've got the Belmonts, I've got K. Rool. I've got Ridley.
And I've got Banjo and Kazooie. I've been waiting for those two to join the fight ever since I saw those four '?' in Smash 64's selection screen! And I'm sure that sooner or later, Dixie will join the fight too.
I'm so pleased right now, and I'm sure many other fans are just as pleased as me, if not thanks to Banjo in particular, surely thanks to someone else. And that's fine. Smash is everybody's party. And from here, there's no way to go but up.

Greetings,
A satisfied fan.
The amount of joy in your post is contagious. :)

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
There will never be a Disney or DreamWorks character. Digimon is a video game, so had a possibility but suggesting Disney or DreamWorks is kinda stupid. The onto
Argument I can see is for Sora since he’s owned partly by Disney, but it would go through both Square and Disney.
It's not "stupid", just unlikely (probably for copyright reasons). People 20 years ago may have thought the idea of Cloud joining Smash was stupid, but here we are in 2019 with Cloud as a playable fighter.

Though, so far it appears that every playable fighter in the Smash series originated in some kind of video game. That may be one of Sakurai's criteria in choosing who should be a playable fighter.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
It's not "stupid", just unlikely (probably for copyright reasons). People 20 years ago may have thought the idea of Cloud joining Smash was stupid, but here we are in 2019 with Cloud as a playable fighter.

Though, so far it appears that every playable fighter in the Smash series originated in some kind of video game. That may be one of Sakurai's criteria in choosing who should be a playable fighter.
It is his thought though, he mentions in many articles how he won’t put in character who aren’t video game characters. Your Cloud evidence is terrible since he is a major part of gaming history. I’m sorry if I’m harsh I’m just saying, do research before saying things like DreamWorks characters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

There's room for expansion in Ultimate but not in the forms you mentioned. Dreamworks, Dismey, Digimon, etc. will never have a playable rep because they're not video game characters (unless you count Sora).

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Smash is definitely the best crossover game in videogame history... but I wouldn't say it's the best game ever. At least, not until they fix online.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
It is his thought though, he mentions in many articles how he won’t put in character who aren’t video game characters. Your Cloud evidence is terrible since he is a major part of gaming history. I’m sorry if I’m harsh I’m just saying, do research before saying things like DreamWorks characters.
What I was saying about Cloud is that, in the time of Smash 64 and Melee (circa 1999-2001), there were no 3rd-party characters in Smash, so if someone made a request that Cloud (or Pac-Man, Sonic, etc.) be in the game at that time, it might have been ridiculed.

Smash is definitely the best crossover game in videogame history... but I wouldn't say it's the best game ever. At least, not until they fix online.
I agree; the only thing keeping Ultimate from being the best game of all time is its online modes, which many people think is terrible / trash. One could argue that the Smash series overall is the best video game series.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion

Sakurai has mentioned multiple times, even fairly recently, that smash is a celebration of video game characters. Not movie or tv. Out of all the “rules” he’s made over the years and broke, this seems to be the one he’s determined not to.

Digimon is kinda pushing things since they aren’t even a video game character technically(bout to show my age here...), they were originally a digital pet similar to the tamagotchi in the 90s. They only started to become game characters after the popularity of those pets. But regardless their origins aren’t truly from gaming.

In short, it’s a lot more ridiculous to think a character like mickey or someone from pixar could get in, than even the most unlikely of game characters. Heck a completely uncensored/unfiltered version of Duke Nukem with a stage set in a strip club level is more likely than Mickey Mouse.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I second ze9 ze9 in considering Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a virtual museum of gaming history; represented by the main characters of games that are representatives of various franchises. In addition to the fighters, the Assist Trophies, and Spirits also serve to represent even more games within the entirety of gaming. Last Tuesday with Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion, this iteration of Smash right now feels like the definitive roster; The Gaming Compendium (and there are still 2 more fighters to be announced). I've got a feeling that those last two spots will end up completing the roster for reals.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Its the best crossover in any media, only because we never got that Friends/Seinfeld crossover

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
What I was saying about Cloud is that, in the time of Smash 64 and Melee (circa 1999-2001), there were no 3rd-party characters in Smash, so if someone made a request that Cloud (or Pac-Man, Sonic, etc.) be in the game at that time, it might have been ridiculed.
Cloud is still a video game character. NOT a animation character. Regardless of what time we are in, as long as Sakurai is in charge of the game he won’t be putting in DreamWorks characters. This isn’t a fake fan rule, this is literally what he mentions on several occasions. Again, I don’t mean to shoot down your wants but it won’t happen.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Smash has transcended from solely celebrating Nintendo's history to now celebrating gaming’s history. It’s officially become The Game and really demonstrates how well a product could be when different groups come together. Aside from other stuff like online and stuff, the whole series is one of the best if not the best.

And Smash has also solidified itself as being “the game for your character to get into”. Fans writing and tweeting requests to Sakurai is one thing but actually companies and developers doing that? It sounds crazy but it’s happening. That’s the power of modern Smash.

Ive been playing Smash since day one and it just boggles my mind that see the likes of Villager, Cloud, Banjo, all the third parties for that matter, Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, and Ganondorf fighting all together. That’s particular list, minus Villager and Cloud, were my Smash 64 wanted list. And James Bond.

And that is either a plus or a negative depending on who you ask... I think it’s a plus.

Hoping my boy, Paperboy, can deliver his newspapers in time to find his invitation to Smash! Some day maybe, we will hear that wonderful news.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
In Smash's case, its not just about the roster. I mean, it does its job as far as unbeatable appeal, but what else? I think its potential for single player Modes puts it just near, honestly.

Top Bottom