• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I wanted to stay silent on that topic for awhile and be sure that what info was put out was accurate instead of just riding the controversy waves, but from what I last learned recently, it seems that Mick didn't meet the deadlines for getting his OST out despite being given multiple extensions and thus was fired. There might be more to it though, but still.

Was hoping things would’ve gotten better with this case when I first heard of it, but suck as it may, the original composer for Halo got done way dirtier, and well that series is still around. Even if they get another good composer for Doom in the future though which I don’t doubt they could, it won’t be the same as what we’ve gotten accustomed to... Though it's definitely being overblown by those saying Doom is over now because of this, IMO. I hope Mick and Bethesda/id can maybe mend something in the future, but not gonna hold my breath.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well they could always get Andrew Hulshult for the next game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played some of Doom Eternal today, and I made it to the ARC Complex. I knew that the Slayer Gates were meant to be challenging, but the latest one threw all sorts of enemies at me that I haven't seen yet in the story, like Barons of Hell (who look more intimidating this time around) and Cyberdemons (well, Tyrants, but come on, they're totally Cyberdemons)

For whatever reason, the part of the game that I'm having the most trouble so far are the secret encounters, where I have to beat specific enemies (often really tough ones, or new ones) within a strict time limit. I had trouble with a secret encounter in the Super Gore Nest, and now I've found one where I have to beat a Pain Elemental, a Cacodemon, and a Arachnotron (and possible other lesser enemies) within 15-20 seconds (not sure of the exact time). At least grenades or sticky bombs work well against the Cacodemon, but I'll have to look up how to deal with the others.

While I haven't encountered any Marauders yet, I've seen footage of them in action, and I know that there's a secret encounter that requires you to beat one, so I'm not looking forward to that.

EDIT: beat my first Marauder. Barely, since I had the rune that saves me from death equipped, and I managed to kill it with rockets and a Glory Kill while everything was slowed down from that.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I played some of Doom Eternal today, and I made it to the ARC Complex. I knew that the Slayer Gates were meant to be challenging, but the latest one threw all sorts of enemies at me that I haven't seen yet in the story, like Barons of Hell (who look more intimidating this time around) and Cyberdemons (well, Tyrants, but come on, they're totally Cyberdemons)

For whatever reason, the part of the game that I'm having the most trouble so far are the secret encounters, where I have to beat specific enemies (often really tough ones, or new ones) within a strict time limit. I had trouble with a secret encounter in the Super Gore Nest, and now I've found one where I have to beat a Pain Elemental, a Cacodemon, and a Arachnotron (and possible other lesser enemies) within 15-20 seconds (not sure of the exact time). At least grenades or sticky bombs work well against the Cacodemon, but I'll have to look up how to deal with the others.

While I haven't encountered any Marauders yet, I've seen footage of them in action, and I know that there's a secret encounter that requires you to beat one, so I'm not looking forward to that.

EDIT: beat my first Marauder. Barely, since I had the rune that saves me from death equipped, and I managed to kill it with rockets and a Glory Kill while everything was slowed down from that.
Flying Demons such as Revenants, Cacos and Pain Elementals take bonus damage from the Ballista. Pair it with the Arbalest mod to one-shot a Caco or two-shot a PE (or at least send it staggering).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Flying Demons such as Revenants, Cacos and Pain Elementals take bonus damage from the Ballista. Pair it with the Arbalest mod to one-shot a Caco or two-shot a PE (or at least send it staggering).
Thanks! Today, I made it to Urdak, and I got a rare achievement (beating a level with only the Famine mode cheat on - Sentinel Prime seemed ideal for that). I've gotten all of the collectibles so far, though I'm saving up my mastery tokens for when I beat the game. (that way, I can focus on any of the mastery challenges that I find easy, and use the tokens on anything that seems way too specific or time-consuming)

The BFG and the Unmakyr made most of the secret encounters really easy. Also, I missed one challenge (killing a Doom Hunter from the left side - it's the demon's left, not your left, and the game is REALLY picky about what counts for that challenge), so I went back to the level and played through it with infinite lives and infinite ammo. Being able to spam the BFG or Unmakyr was a TON of fun.

I don't think I'll aim for 100% completion, though - that would require playing a bunch of the multiplayer mode. Thank goodness that the Steam achievements don't require you to beat the game on Ultra Nightmare, though the in-game milestones do.

EDIT: I beat the game! The final boss dragged on a bit longer than it needed to, and I used Sentinel Armour in the final phase rather than forcing myself to play without it and cause an unnecessary amount of frustration.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
For the sake of generating discussion, these vids provide a good perspective on the Smash community and the whole DLC hype cycle, especially in the context of considering the Doom Slayer as a Smash inclusion:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'll give the videos a watch, but the first video isn't giving me a great first impression, since it's nearly an hour long and (if the thumbnail and first two minutes are any indication) it seems like it's going to be saying that Ultimate is actually a terrible Smash game because of a few nitpicks.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I'll give the videos a watch, but the first video isn't giving me a great first impression, since it's nearly an hour long and (if the thumbnail and first two minutes are any indication) it seems like it's going to be saying that Ultimate is actually a terrible Smash game because of a few nitpicks.
It talks moreso about the community and how the game, for what it's worth, doesn't entirely live up to its "Ultimate" subtitle.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ultimate for the most part lives up to its name regardless, apart from like the online (#FixUltimateOnline and whatnot), but that's more a matter issue of Nintendo's wi-fi as a whole needing to evolve some. But for the game's overall content and subject matter, it was Sakurai's ultimate tribute to Iwata.

While I can't comment on the first video since it's not one I'm really willing to indulge by watching because of the length and stuff, I can say the 2nd one there by SMT which I saw earlier before it was posted here is pretty spot-on as an analysis of Smash speculation. Love how he went over nearly every fan rule that was later shot down, etc. Was anything said in that video off for that matter?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ultimate for the most part lives up to its name regardless, apart from like the online (#FixUltimateOnline and whatnot), but that's more a matter issue of Nintendo's wi-fi as a whole needing to evolve some. But for the game's overall content and subject matter, it was Sakurai's ultimate tribute to Iwata.
That and the fact that Bamco's other current fighters (Tekken 7, Soul Calibur VI) aren't exactly hot on the wi-fi department either, apparently.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I've been thinking:

What if iD Software held a skin design contest? You know, like the weapon design contests Monster Hunter has?

It would be something to see, having a bunch of people design different skins for the playable characters in Battlemode. Contestants could design practically anything from a Lumberjack Marauder to a Biker Gang Doom Slayer to a Sumo Mancubus! A contest like that wouldn't be too out there.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking:

What if iD Software held a skin design contest? You know, like the weapon design contests Monster Hunter has?

It would be something to see, having a bunch of people design different skins for the playable characters in Battlemode. Contestants could design practically anything from a Lumberjack Marauder to a Biker Gang Doom Slayer to a Sumo Mancubus! A contest like that wouldn't be too out there.
I'm positive that something like this will inevitably pop up down the line, since Id have already shown that they're open to incorporating fan content and community memes into the game (as the Doot Revenant Skin, the painting of the Slayer + Daisy in the Fortress of Doom's living quarters, and the following tweet would imply):

I actually wouldn't mind if they gave some sort of functionality between the Slayer's Club and Steam Workshop, where users upload their weapon/character skin concepts (including whether they constitute a set and potential item grade) and leave the public to decide with popular vote.

While it would have the potential of being flooded with meme skins, more than likely we'll probably see more original/classic-inspired skins such as the following:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Doom fans always had a history of fanmade designs and redesigns, specially on Deviantart and when there wasn't a mainline game in years, so it'd be interesting seeing experimental designs and not just stuff like "Doomguy as Santa".
Nothing against those joke costumes but experimental/almost reboot-ish designs and even "lore expanding" ones are cool too.
Like the ones from Deimos-Remus.
Doom always had a history of experimentation, going through different iterations and fans "expanding" or portraying Doom in a lot of ways.
You also have enemy sprites in a lot of mods and resources, whether it's simple edits, more interesting edits or designs that you know use a specific monster as a base but still look too advanced and unique in some ways.

In other news, Sandy Petersen has a series on Youtube where he gives his thoughts on Doom Eternal.
I've also seen Doom related jokes with a story about a priest with a holy water squirt gun, so just a reminder that the holy water gun in Doom RPG 2 and the mod MetaDoom exist and deserve more attention.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Got into Doom this year with the 2016 reboot and I'd classify Eternal among one of the finest gaming experiences I've ever had, so yeah, I'd be down with seeing the Slayer make it into the game, out of all the guests they could get to represent the FPS genre or even western devs in general, I'd say he's among the best they could get.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Remember that Battle Schmoes animation from earlier? There's a GMod version.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I've been replaying Eternal this week and I'm quite surprised how much less trouble I'm having with it. I know improvement on revisits is normal, but it has only been a few months and I'm handling marauders and doom hunters so much better than on my first run while racking a lot more lives compared to me just wasting them at very stupid fights although that still happens.
Also decided to preorder the year one pass, I wasn't sure whether to wait or not but I've got some extra money last week so I just bit it, kinda hoping the Gauss Cannon comes back as that thing was ludicrous in the previous game.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Where the hell is the Eternal Switch port?

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I've been replaying Eternal this week and I'm quite surprised how much less trouble I'm having with it. I know improvement on revisits is normal, but it has only been a few months and I'm handling marauders and doom hunters so much better than on my first run while racking a lot more lives compared to me just wasting them at very stupid fights although that still happens.
Also decided to preorder the year one pass, I wasn't sure whether to wait or not but I've got some extra money last week so I just bit it, kinda hoping the Gauss Cannon comes back as that thing was ludicrous in the previous game.
IMO, fully-mastered Destroyer Blade is much more ludicrously OP, since you can quickly spam Stage-1 blades that are twice as powerful as a standard shot, and consume half the ammo while penetrating enemies.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
For a second I thought I was in the Dante thread when I read demonbuster lol. Not surprised he did so well given Dooms popularity, influence and recently renewed ties with Nintendo, but cool to see none the less. The more I see Doom support for Smash, the more I feel if we are to get a west rep...well, I'd still say Crash is likelier regardless of this poll, but 2nd place aint too shabby considering how uncharted those waters are for the roster of this game.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't really point to anything sadly - the poll's base is too low to determine anything, and the audience is likely to be overly focused on western/recency bias given crash/smash bubble.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Geno thread seems somewhat confident in the supposed Cacodemon costume showing up in today’s presentation. I think the leak is fake but damn would I be sad if that’s the case.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
so vault boy costume, not sure if it speaks in favour of the slayer but Nintendo certainly negotiated with Bethesda for Smash it seems.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
so vault boy costume, not sure if it speaks in favour of the slayer but Nintendo certainly negotiated with Bethesda for Smash it seems.
It’s cool but I don’t think it’s a good sign. If there was. Bethesda character, why not release Vault Boy with it?

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Gonna repost the thing I said in the Geno thread.

Now, notice how we got a Fallout costume, but the Cacodemon hat didn't show up. It's almost as if Doom isn't Bethesda's *****, and Doomguy is still possible regardless of whatever bull**** Marty Stratton said.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
My condolences to the Spirits Deconfirm and Heihachi audiences out there.

But Vault Boy

Hot damn, Vault Boy

This could go one of two ways:
  1. Vault Boy is the sole result of Beth's negotiations for getting franchises under their belt into Smash. Perhaps something greater was planned, but it possibly fell through in a similar manner to Jill Valentine
  2. Vault Boy is rolling out the metaphorical red carpet for the Doom Slayer to become the next fighter in Smash.
My mind says 1, but my heart says 2. This is absolute torture, what do I do?!

Untouch

Smash Master
I highly doubt this is related to what pete hines was talking about, that talk happened 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom