• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Tbh the Mother Demon felt like a more natural enemy design in 64 rather than something held back by limitations like the original Icon. I see no reason why she couldn't just be in one of Eternal's campaign DLC's, especially when we already got the Unmaker.

And I'd rather have Betruger back for a next Doom, leading up to Maledict as the final boss like what we got with Olivia Pierce > Spider Mastermind.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Tbh the Mother Demon felt like a more natural enemy design in 64 rather than something held back by limitations like the original Icon. I see no reason why she couldn't just be in one of Eternal's campaign DLC's, especially when we already got the Unmaker.

And I'd rather have Betruger back for a next Doom, leading up to Maledict as the final boss like what we got with Olivia Pierce > Spider Mastermind.
Now that I think about it, the campaign DLC feels like the perfect opportunity to introduce some of the demons that weren't in the base Eternal campaign.

We got the Prowler from '16's multiplayer, why not have the Harvester in there as well? And on top of that, let's add some of the Doom 3 demons in addition to the Maledict, too!

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Man, the Unmaykr is so disappointing in Eternal. You spend so much of the game collecting these keys for this special gun locked in your hub. Only to find it uses the same ammo as the BFG (ammo that only exist in limited fixed locations in later levels), and it's just up worse then the BFG at room clearing and straight up damage.

Should have a least gave the thing it's own ammo, cause there is no reason to use that precious BFG ammo for anything else then your Big !@#$ing Gun.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I know this is a selfish wish given what the world is experiencing...

But I wish we lived in a world where Doom Slayer made it into the game instead of the worst-nightmare-character-whom-I-still-do-not-forgive Byleth.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

But I wish we lived in a world where Doom Slayer made it into the game instead of the worst-nightmare-character-whom-I-still-do-not-forgive Byleth.
Oh, come on. It could be worse: we could've gotten Corrin before Doom Slayer.

Wait...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just hope we can have the Slayer meet Cloud in Midgar someday...
If you know what I mean.

I retweeted that the moment I saw it.
As long as Doom lasts, he'll get his chance someday. I say there's nothing to worry about just yet.

Oh, come on. It could be worse: we could've gotten Corrin before Doom Slayer.

Wait...
To me, this "who gets in before whom" tribalism doesn't matter. What matters is that a character can get in Smash so that they can be immortalized and don't end up becoming a footnote in gaming history.

There's nothing more damning than a character not getting in, simply because fan demand wasn't focused enough when it mattered (official polls and ballot).

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Well, it does make sense for a character like Doom Slayer to be placed at the start of a DLC pass rather than the end, since he would be a pretty big pick.

D

Deleted member

There is no point to character bashing. I get it that you're disappointed, but... they're in the game now.

As long as Doom lasts, he'll get his chance someday. I say there's nothing to worry about just yet.
You have a point there. We do have 5 more chances to see the Doom Slayer. Admittedly I am not the most confidant in his chances, especially after a comment from one of the devs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There is no point to character bashing. I get it that you're disappointed, but... they're in the game now.

You have a point there. We do have 5 more chances to see the Doom Slayer. Admittedly I am not the most confidant in his chances, especially after a comment from one of the devs.
Well, I do mean more in the sense of years from now. Even if he doesn't get in this game, Eternal (and whatever else after that) will definitely keep him relevant enough that it can be referenced in Smash. At least his fan movement will surely have grown by that point.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Since the idea of bringing back old bosses for the DLC was discussed. What about new enemies?

Cause I kinda want to fight those Maykr Angels. Their design is way cooler then the Drones, and seeing their face is all over your fortress makes them feel like they should have done more in the game. Seems a waste to just have one say "welcome home" on Sentinel Prime and then we never see them again.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
So you're aware, image-only posts are considered spam.
Good thing I quoted the other post that I was responding to with the image, thus meaning that my post does not solely consist of an image and, therefore, falls outside the purviews of spam.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I'm also curious what those statues of four armed monsters with wings and horns in the Fortress of Doom are.

Their not only in the fortress but also Sentinel Prime and the soul factory in hell.

They don't look like Wraiths or Maykrs, and I don't think the Sentinels would put a bunch of demon statues around themselves. So what are these things?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'm also curious what those statues of four armed monsters with wings and horns in the Fortress of Doom are.

Their not only in the fortress but also Sentinel Prime and the soul factory in hell.

They don't look like Wraiths or Maykrs, and I don't think the Sentinels would put a bunch of demon statues around themselves. So what are these things?
Maybe it's not an entirely new race, but the Wretch mentioned from the Slayer Testaments in '16? We still have had no interaction with him. Yes, he's (implied) to be a demon, but he's (supposedly) a demon that flat-out helped the Slayer, making the Praetor suit that we see to this day. Lorewise, that's quite the big deal, and it's not exactly out of the question, as probably even the Sentinels would know about it. The demons the Wretch betrayed obviously do.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's not an entirely new race, but the Wretch mentioned from the Slayer Testaments in '16? We still have had no interaction with him. Yes, he's (implied) to be a demon, but he's (supposedly) a demon that flat-out helped the Slayer, making the Praetor suit that we see to this day. Lorewise, that's quite the big deal, and it's not exactly out of the question, as probably even the Sentinels would know about it. The demons the Wretch betrayed obviously do.
That's a really good theory. It would makes sense for the Sentinels to honor a demon that was a traitor to its kind, and helped make their hero even more invincible.

Though the statues I saw in the hell factory were in front of a statue of...
Olivia Pierce
...so if that is the Wretch, hell would have already hated him before making 'that' one. I guess the Wretch could have helped make the factory before his betrayal, and they just never bothered to tear them down before deciding to also make one of 'that' other person.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Everyone...

I think we've found the perfect Victory Themes for the Doom Slayer:
First one. Not even a contest. The combination of Mick Gordon's gorgeous style for Eternal with it being a remix of Intermission From Doom (it's strongest point) it is an absolute no-brainer.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of music...

Here's a preview of what's in store:

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
IMO, I am not a fan of this moveset. A bit too Eternal focused for my liking.

I think if we are gonna get insta kill grabs, it's gotta be at like 200% to make it balanced. There's no way it'll be fair to have characters grabbed at 100 and just die from a grab. Not a combo OFF a grab. Just a grab.
I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Not only is the Doom Eternal focus a little too strong with some moves having no reason to be in the spot they're in, the button duration mechanic stolen from Ryu and Ken is a little silly and adds a layer of difficulty in controlling Doom Slayer that just isn't needed. Just have it be either a physical attack or a gunshot like Mega Man.
Having a OHKO Glory Kill gimmick is also a little ridiculous as well, especially if the threshold for them is gonna be so low. I almost strips the purpose of Doom's guns being the most important part. Ammo mechanic is fine though, I like it being all one shared reserve. I would personally increase it to 200 in reference to the max default bullets in original Doom, and have guns chew through more ammo (especially with more powerful guns like Gauss Cannon and Super Shotgun).

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
The Doom X Animal Crossing meme keeps on giving.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Thinking about it a little more I think an ideal Doom level in Smash could be Super Gore Nest/ Hell on Earth. A destroyed city would be a new location for Smash, you can have all the hellish aspects like lava and demons, and you can have a lot of potential for interactivity like destructible environments and boost pads. And good music potential too!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Thinking about it a little more I think an ideal Doom level in Smash could be Super Gore Nest/ Hell on Earth. A destroyed city would be a new location for Smash, you can have all the hellish aspects like lava and demons, and you can have a lot of potential for interactivity like destructible environments and boost pads. And good music potential too!
You know, for a while, I was thinking about having the Tower of Babel as the stage as a good balance between Hell and Mars since, you know, that was built on Deimos, which was teleported to Hell, but you know what? The Super Gore Nest sounds like a much better idea for a stage.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Not only is the Doom Eternal focus a little too strong with some moves having no reason to be in the spot they're in, the button duration mechanic stolen from Ryu and Ken is a little silly and adds a layer of difficulty in controlling Doom Slayer that just isn't needed. Just have it be either a physical attack or a gunshot like Mega Man.
Having a OHKO Glory Kill gimmick is also a little ridiculous as well, especially if the threshold for them is gonna be so low. I almost strips the purpose of Doom's guns being the most important part. Ammo mechanic is fine though, I like it being all one shared reserve. I would personally increase it to 200 in reference to the max default bullets in original Doom, and have guns chew through more ammo (especially with more powerful guns like Gauss Cannon and Super Shotgun).

I'm more of a fan of this moveset concept by FeliciaFan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opGnN1P6biw

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

Man, at this point I just want him in the game so he can do tag-team matches with Isabelle lmao
As dumb as it sounds, it'd be nice to have these two characters playable in the same game after all the crossover art.

Doom has SO much good stage potential. Almost any level from Doom Eternal would make a great stage. I think the base from Mars Core would be awesome having the BFG 10K firing in the background.

And don't even get me started on the music.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
With the trials of mana spirit event, we should be prepared to the possibility of Doom Eternal one when the game releases on Switch.

Personally hope we get The Slayer as playable even if his chances are low.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
With the trials of mana spirit event, we should be prepared to the possibility of Doom Eternal one when the game releases on Switch.

That would be the nail in the coffin for his chances. I'm hoping the release will come and go with no spirit event in sight.

I also get nervous every time they start showing new Mii costumes too because if they add that Cacodemon mii as a random inclusion alongside some other character, there's no way we're getting the Slayer.

D

Deleted member

If Doom Slayer is added, his trailer should have him and Isabelle together at some point and I want him beside Isabelle in the mural.

The moments up to the release of both games was incredibly wholesome.

That would break my soul... or my spirit, I should say.

That would be the nail in the coffin for his chances. I'm hoping the release will come and go with no spirit event in sight.

I also get nervous every time they start showing new Mii costumes too because if they add that Cacodemon mii as a random inclusion alongside some other character, there's no way we're getting the Slayer.
Speaking of the Cacodemon, what is the general consensus for that leak? It has been months since that leak and the video is still up.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The consensus is that it's fake. It's been far too long to be believable anymore, if it was in the first place. We may never know how exactly it was made or who actually made the Caco Mii thing, but something like that wouldn't just get leaked, not show up in a number of later reveals/directs, while other Mii stuff for the game has come and gone, all the while still having the video of it up and never taken down like usual legit leaked stuff.

I guess it depends on when Eternal finishes getting ported and released for Switch as to when a potential spirit event could happen, which is safe to say would still be before SSBU DLC season 2 ends... Just give cool spirit battles for like the Pain Elemental, Marauder, and Archvile if nothing else.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
The consensus is that it's fake. It's been far too long to be believable anymore, if it was in the first place. We may never know how exactly it was made or who actually made the Caco Mii thing, but something like that wouldn't just get leaked, not show up in a number of later reveals/directs, while other Mii stuff for the game has come and gone, all the while still having the video of it up and never taken down like usual legit leaked stuff.

I guess it depends on when Eternal finishes getting ported and released for Switch as to when a potential spirit event could happen, which is safe to say would still be before SSBU DLC season 2 ends... Just give cool spirit battles for like the Pain Elemental, Marauder, and Archvile if nothing else.
I'm still not convinced the Mii Hat is fake. There's a lot going against it, but nobody has come out yet and proven anything. It was really well-made and I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it was real.
It'd just be really disappointing if it was released without the Slayer and that was the only Doom content we got.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Moving on from that topic for a moment, this is amazing.

Doom and Halo collaboration when?
You're in luck!
This here is a server for a Halo-centric mod on the Doom Engine, bringing it's own unique weapon/pickup/monster replacements, a campaign following an original storyline and even a set of multiplayer maps from all across Halo's history:

Some key images for the project:
ujQUSBu.png
Screenshot_Doom_20200125_025416.png
Screenshot_Doom_20200404_045825-1.png
Screenshot_Doom_20200216_034417.png
Screenshot_Doom_20200422_233040.png

Attachments

Top Bottom