• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Beautiful.

And yeah, the Fortress of Doom hub world has quite grown on me.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think almost all of Doom Eternal's levels have such amazing level settings that it'd be a disservice not to include more than one.

Question is, what environments would we be likely to see if the Doom stage had a shifting stage, besides the Fortress of Doom?

I'll present a list of all possible environments viable for inclusion.

• Hell on Earth
  • Exultia
  • Cultist Base
  • Doom Hunter Base
  • Super Gore Nest
  • ARC Complex
  • Mars Core
    • Phobos Orbital Defense Base + BFG 10000
    • Mars Orbital Debris
    • Lost City of Hebeth
  • Sentinel Prime
    • Colosseum
  • Taras Nabad
  • Nekravol
    • Part I
    • Part II
  • Urdak
  • Final Sin
Interesting to note is that the levels are divided up into named sections based on the different fast travel points (with one or two of them even being shout-outs to classic Doom levels), so it'd probably be worth investigating those and pinpointing areas of interest.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If we're going with a stage from Eternal, I'd say make the Ripatorium a stage!

We could see demons infighting in the background, and maybe even fighting the Slayer if he's not a selected fighter! Having two fights, one Smash Bros and one Doom, simultaneously would make a stage like that an absolute treat!

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Honestly, I think almost all of Doom Eternal's levels have such amazing level settings that it'd be a disservice not to include more than one.

Question is, what environments would we be likely to see if the Doom stage had a shifting stage, besides the Fortress of Doom?

I'll present a list of all possible environments viable for inclusion.

• Hell on Earth
  • Exultia
  • Cultist Base
  • Doom Hunter Base
  • Super Gore Nest
  • ARC Complex
  • Mars Core
    • Phobos Orbital Defense Base + BFG 10000
    • Mars Orbital Debris
    • Lost City of Hebeth
  • Sentinel Prime
    • Colosseum
  • Taras Nabad
  • Nekravol
    • Part I
    • Part II
  • Urdak
  • Final Sin
Interesting to note is that the levels are divided up into named sections based on the different fast travel points (with one or two of them even being shout-outs to classic Doom levels), so it'd probably be worth investigating those and pinpointing areas of interest.
A 'final sin' stage with the Icon of Sin as a stage hazard/boss (a la metal face) is also a cool idea

D

Deleted member

A 'final sin' stage with the Icon of Sin as a stage hazard/boss (a la metal face) is also a cool idea
That would be pretty cool. And further damaging it makes the armor fall off or get destroyed, exposing it's weakpoints.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
If Doom Slayer gets in, I'd rather he be a grappler with some shooty attacks than a zoner like a lot of people are saying he should be.

If I'm playing as Doomguy, I want to RIP AND TEAR.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If Doom Slayer gets in, I'd rather he be a grappler with some shooty attacks than a zoner like a lot of people are saying he should be.

If I'm playing as Doomguy, I want to RIP AND TEAR.
In my mind's eye, I imagine the Slayer sort of blurring the line between rushdown and zoner. If you take a look at my moveset's Neutral B, I combined Banjo & Kazooie's Breegull Blaster run-and-gunning, Inkling's Splattershot aiming, and his classic gun lineup, so he can charge towards you while throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Totally crackpot theory I have:

There are those that speculate Hero was supposed to be the first character in the fighter pass, but he was moved back to July to coincide with the (delayed) Switch port of DQ11, moving Joker to the front of the fighter's pass.

In a similar vein, the Doom Slayer was supposed to release in November, but is being pushed back until Doom Eternal's (also delayed) Switch port. This meant Terry had to be moved up -- which is why he was so underprepared at the time of his reveal -- and Byleth was moved to the last slot of the first fighter pass (this resolves the contradiction that Rex & Pyra were supposedly too recent to be added, even though Byleth's game released much later).

Totally crackpot theory that even I don't believe, but hey, a doomguy can hope.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In fairness, I was convinced that Hero was originally going to be revealed on the February 2019 Direct, only for a Link's Awakening remake to be unveiled instead. It wouldn't be strange if some plans changed.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Byleth was moved to the last slot of the first fighter pass (this resolves the contradiction that Rex & Pyra were supposedly too recent to be added, even though Byleth's game released much later).
To be fair, Three Houses did have a longer development time than Xenoblade 2 (FE's 2015-2019 as opposed to XC2's 2014-2017), but I'm not sure...

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's lame that the Switch version for Eternal isn't out yet. Really wanted to play it

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It's lame that the Switch version for Eternal isn't out yet. Really wanted to play it
I feel you, my man. But if there is a Nintendo Direct this week like rumors are suggesting, then hopefully we won't have to wait that long, if Marty's words are anything to go by. I don't wanna get hopes up, though, but I really want the next Direct to announce a Switch Eternal release date!

MattX20

Smash Hero
I feel you, my man. But if there is a Nintendo Direct this week like rumors are suggesting, then hopefully we won't have to wait that long, if Marty's words are anything to go by. I don't wanna get hopes up, though, but I really want the next Direct to announce a Switch Eternal release date!
I really hope so

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Panic Button's handling it, so I think the "delayed games are eventually good" saying certainly applies to them. Just be patient.

Marty said something recently?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Panic Button's handling it, so I think the "delayed games are eventually good" saying certainly applies to them. Just be patient.

Not recently, but when he talked about the Switch version back in January. I know, that was 2 months ago, but considering how highly he's talked about the Switch port, and how Panic Button is apparently doing a banger job, not to mention how easy it all seems to make the necessary tweaks needed to run on the console, it seems like the Switch version shouldn't be too far off...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

I was worried the port was gonna be cancelled because the Switch couldn't handle it -- but after seeing how much better Doom Eternal runs on my XBone than 2016 did, I'm not worried about that anymore.

D

Deleted member

It has been a while! Although I am still feeling skeptical after what was said from the Doom developers months ago, I still support the Doom Slayer and he's still my most wanted character.

I got Doom Eternal at launch on PS4 and I'm having a blast playing it! I do find 2016 to feel more satisfying to play, I do like how the game makes you consider all of your options and forces you to make on-the-spot decisions. There are times where I had to consider going for glory and get health back or use the Chainsaw to have more ammo when I am low on it. I do feel like the level design also complements Doom's playstyle in that when you are exploring or fighting, you have to keep in mind what situation you're in and you're constantly tested on your situational awareness.

I still have high hopes for the Slayer. I might post a moveset idea that I have for him later.

The Icon Of Smash

Smash Rookie
Hey Doombros! It's been awhile since my last post here, and like many of you guys here, I've been having an absolute blast with DOOM Eternal. Not only is it easily my favorite game of the year so far (although I doubt anything else will top it for me personally), but it might just be my new favorite game of all time!

Anyway, now that I beat the game a few days ago, played a bit of Battlemode, and now going for all the secret collectables, I'll try and be more active on this thread, as the mystery of Fighter Pass Volume 2's 6 challenger packs still remain a mystery. I still have a lot of hope that Doom Slayer
who we now know for a fact is the original Doomguy from DOOM 1, 2, and 64
will be part of these illusive 6, and I will be making another post soon, in a similar vein to my last big one, with better structure than the previous one as well. Hope you guys look forward to that, and I hope you guys are also having lot's of fun with DOOM Eternal, or even the recent port of DOOM 64.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Totally crackpot theory I have:

There are those that speculate Hero was supposed to be the first character in the fighter pass, but he was moved back to July to coincide with the (delayed) Switch port of DQ11, moving Joker to the front of the fighter's pass.

In a similar vein, the Doom Slayer was supposed to release in November, but is being pushed back until Doom Eternal's (also delayed) Switch port. This meant Terry had to be moved up -- which is why he was so underprepared at the time of his reveal -- and Byleth was moved to the last slot of the first fighter pass (this resolves the contradiction that Rex & Pyra were supposedly too recent to be added, even though Byleth's game released much later).

Totally crackpot theory that even I don't believe, but hey, a doomguy can hope.
IMO, I never really believe in characters being pushed forward or back in release order. I can believe reveal dates changing, but not character order.

I think Doom Slayer if he's the next character was gonna be revealed when he does no matter if the game came out in November, March or June.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news for you lot:

So even if the slayer doesn't get in somehow, his series' future will keep him around.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Hey Doombros! It's been awhile since my last post here, and like many of you guys here, I've been having an absolute blast with DOOM Eternal. Not only is it easily my favorite game of the year so far (although I doubt anything else will top it for me personally), but it might just be my new favorite game of all time!

Anyway, now that I beat the game a few days ago, played a bit of Battlemode, and now going for all the secret collectables, I'll try and be more active on this thread, as the mystery of Fighter Pass Volume 2's 6 challenger packs still remain a mystery. I still have a lot of hope that Doom Slayer
who we now know for a fact is the original Doomguy from DOOM 1, 2, and 64
will be part of these illusive 6, and I will be making another post soon, in a similar vein to my last big one, with better structure than the previous one as well. Hope you guys look forward to that, and I hope you guys are also having lot's of fun with DOOM Eternal, or even the recent port of DOOM 64.
I burned through Eternal over the weekend. It's quite good, and in my opinion a nice evolution from 2016. However I can see why some people would be disappointed in the direction they took because it's not really a traditional shooter, and the story interruptions probably border on nonsensical if you don't know (or read) any of the lore.

I don't think anybody could be surprised by the identity of the Slayer but I'm glad it's the route they took. I'm ambivalent about giving him dialogue but it adds a weird levity to the tone of the flashbacks. Officially giving him the name "Doomguy" is perfect as Smash now would have an excuse to use it if he ever got in with a classic skin.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
My only gripe with Eternal is seems like the Marauder during later repeated encounters felt too disruptive in the midst of some of the enemy waves, as you have to stop and wait for him to try and attack you and counter mid-range. He overstayed his welcome, but can say the Doom Hunter feels more like a proper Doom enemy to fight against in comparison. He never ruined the usual flow of battle for me at least.

The story was fine though. Excellent how they pretty much connected all the games together now as far as the lore.

Kahn Makyr spirit battle for Meta Ridley?
Fun as the Icon of Sin was, she I would kinda argue had the most challenging and engaging boss fight. Icon was more simple once you had a full grasp on what to do, though him as the final battle I wouldn't have any other way.

D

Deleted member

I haven't beaten Eternal yet, but I do like the story in the game. At first I didn't like how I was interrupted during gameplay when all I want to do is fight some demons, but I appreciate all of the lore and attention made to expand the universe and Doom mythos.
I am not surprised that Doomguy is the Doom Slayer. I've always expected that to be the case, but I appreciate the confirmation nonetheless.

I also find it ironic how people worship or fear the demons, but some also treat Doom Slayer as some sort of god. With his power he might as well be, but I can't help but feel the irony; I feel like Doom Slayer wouldn't want to be treated as such. I also love how not only do the demons fear him, but the humans too. Two UAC people were like, "Pfft. I am not afraid of the Slayer. If he shows up, I won't fear him." and then he shows up and they were speechless.

My only gripe with Eternal is seems like the Marauder during later repeated encounters felt too disruptive in the midst of some of the enemy waves, as you have to stop and wait for him to try and attack you and counter mid-range. He overstayed his welcome, but can say the Doom Hunter feels more like a proper Doom enemy to fight against in comparison. He never ruined the usual flow of battle for me at least.
I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way.
The Marauder feels like the antithesis of Doom. You can't be too patient in a battle or you will get punished for it; you have to keep up your momentum either offensively or defensively. The Marauder requires you to be patient and becomes a chore to fight against groups of enemies. I remember finding a Secret Encounter with a Marauder and I didn't bother completing it because of the Marauder. The worst part of the Marauder is the freaking dog. I hate this dog with a passion; it slows you down and deals a lot of damage. It's like I have to fight and prioritize the Marauder, but that focus is taken away because of the dog. Quite possibly the worst part of Doom Eternal so far; the Marauder was fine as a boss fight, but is a pain to deal with as a standard enemy.

Doom Hunters, on the other hand, I don't mind at all. At first fighting them was difficult, but after gaining enough experience and more at your disposal, they felt more natural to fight against as enemies.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Arms...

Arms?

ARMS!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
My only gripe with Eternal is seems like the Marauder during later repeated encounters felt too disruptive in the midst of some of the enemy waves, as you have to stop and wait for him to try and attack you and counter mid-range.
I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way.
The Marauder feels like the antithesis of Doom. You can't be too patient in a battle or you will get punished for it; you have to keep up your momentum either offensively or defensively. The Marauder requires you to be patient and becomes a chore to fight against groups of enemies. I remember finding a Secret Encounter with a Marauder and I didn't bother completing it because of the Marauder. The worst part of the Marauder is the freaking dog. I hate this dog with a passion; it slows you down and deals a lot of damage. It's like I have to fight and prioritize the Marauder, but that focus is taken away because of the dog. Quite possibly the worst part of Doom Eternal so far.
I disagree regarding the Marauder. I think he makes for a pretty hectic miniboss battle that keeps players in check during the late-game once they feel they've supposedly mastered the game. And even then, once you've learned the dance with him wherein you rapidly switch between SSG and Ballista when he gets stunned, or use the Remote Detonator for the Rocket Launcher when kiting away from him, and he falls a lot quicker than one would expect.

I'm reminded of how the ability for the Slayer to remove a demon's traditional combat options is emulated well through the Marauder's defensive shield being able to block everything the Slayer fires at him (and henceforth removing some of the Slayer's combat options).

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, Doom Eternal has been out for awhile and seems like it is actually great. Glad to hear. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the Switch version as a few I have seen here. Oh well, I can get myself busy with other games.

Also, seems like ARMS it's being represented as #6 after this whole time of waiting because of Co-Vid19. Things are happening. I have a bit of hope for our Hellish Boy but not that much. Eternal is still a thing, fortunately so it's not all too bad.

:bowser:.

D

Deleted member

So umm...
I can't be the only one who thought the Khan Maykr boss fight was difficult, right? I'm playing on the normal difficulty and I got beat badly. I resorted to using Sentinel Armor... which admittedly led to a hollow victory.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
So umm...
I can't be the only one who thought the Khan Maykr boss fight was difficult, right? I'm playing on the normal difficulty and I got beat badly. I resorted to using Sentinel Armor... which admittedly led to a hollow victory.
yup, it was

Aight I got a lore theory.

The Slayer Testaments and Codex entries refer to "ages" in the history of hell (specifically the 1st and 4th ages, as well as the "Dark lord of the 4th age", meaning that the "ages" in hell are likely referring to the reign of a specific Dark Lord over Hell. The codex entries in Doom 2016 also refer to Barons of Hell being somehow directly tied to the Dark Lord himself.

My theory goes that the reason Hell Knights and Barons of Hell look different in 2016/Eternal than they did in the original games is that the different Dark Lords elevated different species to the positions of 'Knight' or 'Baron'. The ones with the original look are from the 1st age (we know the classic games are in the 1st age because that is when hell first encounters the Slayer), and the ones with the new look are from the 4th age (referred to in the Baron's 2016 codex entry. The slight design change of the Barons between 2016 and Eternal can be explained through the Barons growing in power as their master does, also in said codex entry).

This is also supported by the 'Gladiator' looking just like one of the original Hell Knights, despite Hell Knights in Eternal having the new design; the Gladiator may be one of the last surviving member of his species.

Interestingly, this would also have the ramification that Doom 3 takes place in the 4th age -- close in the timeline to the new games -- if it is canon to the Doom timeline at all.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So umm...
I died about 4 times on that fight mostly because
I was missing headshots on the makyr drones since I needed them to get more rockets. My strategy was 3-4 lock on rocket shots on Khan, then ssg meathook into blood punch. Rinse and repeat. So I wouldnt say it was necessarily difficult, I was just making a basic mistake. Id say all in all the Gladiator was the hardest boss in this game. I was playing ultra violence on xbox one for reference, though, so my settings could be different to yours that affected your gameplay.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So someone gifted me DOOM Eternal, so I was obligated to play it.
It's a good game, but WOW I am terrible at first-person shooters. The mouse controls are fine, but there's so many buttons on the keyboard that I lose track between glory killing, chainsaw, frag grenades, basic movement...
I was contemplating switching to a controller, was wondering if you think that's a terrible idea and I should stick with mouse+keyboard.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Nah, a controller would be better.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, guys, did you see this thing going on about a scrapped burst-fire pistol that's only accessible through console commands in Doom Eternal's files? There's even gameplay of it:

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So someone gifted me DOOM Eternal, so I was obligated to play it.
It's a good game, but WOW I am terrible at first-person shooters. The mouse controls are fine, but there's so many buttons on the keyboard that I lose track between glory killing, chainsaw, frag grenades, basic movement...
I was contemplating switching to a controller, was wondering if you think that's a terrible idea and I should stick with mouse+keyboard.
Typically Key Board and Mouse gives you better aim than controllers, so you might find yourself having a harder time with a controller. Controllers do have aim assist though.
The biggest issue with a controller in Doom is that is difficult to quickly change weapons. On a keyboard, you can press 1 for the shotgun, 2 for the chain gun etc, but on a controller you get a weapon wheel. The weapon wheel is a great concept and I’m glad it’s there, because it’s not in the old Doom games and those are pain sometimes because of it. So it’s harder to change weapons on console.

Just keep playing, and maybe lower the difficulty if you’re playing on a harder one. Once you get the super shotgun and other weapons, the game will be more manageable.

D

Deleted member

Hey, guys, did you see this thing going on about a scrapped burst-fire pistol that's only accessible through console commands in Doom Eternal's files? There's even gameplay of it:

I was wondering where the pistol was. It feels odd that it's not there, but I can see why. When I got more weapons in 2016, I stopped using the pistol. It was good for weakening the common fodder, but a simple punch to stagger them to glory is just as effective.
That said however, I am not a fan of how punching the lower demons in Eternal doesn't do anything to them. It makes me feel like I am wasting ammo on a weak demon that I rather use on more tough enemies. If they don't plan to patch it so that common fodder is weak to the punch, then I think the pistol would have a new purpose. If it had infinite ammo and one shot was enough to stagger them, it would save you some ammo for other enemies while you can get the glory on them for health.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Guess I was the minority who enjoyed the fully upgraded pistol in Doom 2016. The charge shots allowed me to one shot all the common enemies, and even two shot kill some of the heavy demons, conserving ammo, but with the way the system works in Eternal, there wouldn't of been much use for it, so can see why they discarded it outside of that cameo. The current weapon wheel is better.

Oh, was able to get all the achievements on Doom 64 in less than an hour or so thanks to the in-game password cheats. Crazy. Haven't used both weapons enough yet in Eternal to compare, but in 64, the Unmaker really puts the BFG to shame. Can say it's grown on me now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom