• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
There is definitely the chance that Doom is only getting Mii Costumes but I think that will probably not happen. Mostly because aside from indie characters, every mii costume is owned by a company that has representation in another way (please correct me if I'm wrong). Bethesda/ID/Zenimax has nothing so far. Also, if characters had to come with Mii Costumes from the same company, why did we just get Cuphead? Until this gets overruled, I think this has some validity.
Ubisoft is not an indie company. It's bigger than IDsoft. (Around same as Bethesda) yet it got only Spirit/Mii costumes as representation.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Ubisoft is not an indie company. It's bigger than IDsoft. (Around same as Bethesda) yet it got only Spirit/Mii costumes as representation.
Ubisoft already had spirits in the base game, so it probably made sense to Nintendo and/or Sakurai, to give them some costumes too. ID and Bethesda have NOTHING so far, so I don't know why Nintendo would go and talk to this big company just to get some costumes. These are two different situations we're talking about here imo.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Ubisoft already had representation in Smash, and so did Microsoft. It's definitely NOT impossible, but these are two different situations here.
Yes. But not as a fighter... yet... There is no telling IDsoft can end up having the first representation as either spirit or Mii costume.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Yes. But not as a fighter... yet... There is no telling IDsoft can end up having the first representation as either spirit or Mii costume.
I edited my original post, clarifying what I was trying to say. I agree though, there really is no telling what can happen.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
A bit late and not necessary to mention this but the conversation here reminded me of an earlier post
Have you guys seen this? someone posted it in Papagenos' server last night, and I'm not sure what to think.
I don't know how discord works exactly (if that is discord) because I don't use it but Hugo Martin probably wouldn't use "ID" Software over "id".

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Reposting my thoughts from the Geno Thread:

I think Byleth might have been a blessing in disguise

Granted I'm also in the boat that thinking that ending on Byleth was an absolutely tone-deaf move, but it did give us one piece of vital information regarding Smash development

Sakurai said he filmed the presentation for Byleth in November, and what happened in November? CacoMallow

Not only was Byleth basically done in November, but so were Mii Costumes, so was CUPHEAD

What we can gather from this is that Mii costumes are done WAY far in advance! Even if Geno and Slayer are still a long ways off from release it stands to reason that their Mii Costumes could have been done that far ahead, we now have precedent of this. Ergo, it's now no longer unreasonable to assume that CacoMallow could have happened on a dev build of the game, as we've previously debated

I wouldn't give up just yet, it's not over until the Mii Gunner sings

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Reposting my thoughts from the Geno Thread:

I think Byleth might have been a blessing in disguise

Granted I'm also in the boat that thinking that ending on Byleth was an absolutely tone-deaf move, but it did give us one piece of vital information regarding Smash development

Sakurai said he filmed the presentation for Byleth in November, and what happened in November? CacoMallow

Not only was Byleth basically done in November, but so were Mii Costumes, so was CUPHEAD

What we can gather from this is that Mii costumes are done WAY far in advance! Even if Geno and Slayer are still a long ways off from release it stands to reason that their Mii Costumes could have been done that far ahead, we now have precedent of this. Ergo, it's now no longer unreasonable to assume that CacoMallow could have happened on a dev build of the game, as we've previously debated

I wouldn't give up just yet, it's not over until the Mii Gunner sings
Even if Cacomallow is 149% fake, I still think Doom Slayer and, to an even greater extent, Geno are very likely characters for DLC.
But I lean in favor of Cacomallow simply because of the old leak that predicted Rocket Grunt and Goemon.
It also predicted a Mallow costume.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237

This was also proven back in September with the Sans costume; Banjo's presentation was said to have been filmed a few days after the Hero presentation was (in July); so there was a pretty similar gap between recording and air date to Byleth's presentation.

It's pretty easy to assume that they have a decent stockpile of Mii Costumes prepared for future patches at any given time; seeing as they're some of the simplest content the Smash team has to make. I don't think this really proves much for CacoMallow's validity; but it certainly isn't impossible for DLC content to be accessible months ahead of time in dev builds (seeing as Piranha Plant was accessible in QA tester builds in September at the latest, based on an often overlooked leak that proved to be legit).

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I know this is probably just exaggeration for the sake of humour, but while I don't play much of the Fire Emblem characters (I'm terrible at countering, and Robin's resource management gimmick isn't for me), Corrin, Robin, and (based on the gameplay showcase) Byleth play quite differently from Marth.
Robin is a distinct character who I only label "Magic Marth" for comedic purposes. Corrin (or "Dragon Marth") is closer to a typical FE protagonist, in gameplay terms, but still has plenty of unique or exaggerated elements to keep them different. Byleth ("Bone Marth") has Robin's ranged move and a bit of exaggeration but, to me, still only manages to feel about as unique as Ike ("Heavy Marth").

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I guess a positive of Byleth is if they contradict anything any leaker said and the fact there's still more fighters coming.
I care less about FE to even be mad at it, but they could have at least gone for a Nintendo series that has yet to be represented with a fighter.
Like, any other fighter in the pass and what they represent are good choices.
But FE already feels over represented and simply being first party makes it stick out like a sore thumb.
In fact, i thought it was stated the fighters would be from series new to Smash.
Anyway, here's some tweet that i found funny, mainly because of the model.
https://twitter.com/Alpha_Blaster/status/1217101887033552897
I think the model is from DrPySpy.

Anyway, i haven't mentioned my comments about the trailer here.
It looks good and i like some bits of the art direction, the levels, the gameplay clips and the Doom 3 intro song remix.
I do wonder how much lore in Doom is "too much" for a series with a history of ignoring its own canon.
Because i think there's some cool ideas in it, but i expect some stuff i disagree with as well.
I hope the final boss is in fact the Icon of Sin, like there's no reason for it to not happen.
I also wonder if the Marauder will actually be a "Vergil" for the Doomguy, because all i know about his potential moveset is an axe and a super shotgun.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It looks good and i like some bits of the art direction, the levels, the gameplay clips and the Doom 3 intro song remix.
I do wonder how much lore in Doom is "too much" for a series with a history of ignoring its own canon.
Because i think there's some cool ideas in it, but i expect some stuff i disagree with as well.
I hope the final boss is in fact the Icon of Sin, like there's no reason for it to not happen.
I also wonder if the Marauder will actually be a "Vergil" for the Doomguy, because all i know about his potential moveset is an axe and a super shotgun.
As far as the Marauder goes, I had developed a theory about him a couple days ago (Geez, I am obsessed with this guy, am I?). You know how there's two scenes with the Doom Slayer interacting with some Night Sentinels with spears? And how one scene's spear blades silvery-white while the other was red? The Marauder calling the Doom Slayer a "usurper" and a "false idol" had got me really thinking: what if the Marauder made a breakaway faction of Night Sentinels? I guess the only thing that would really shoot this theory down is that the Crucible sword Doom Slayer gets is red like the Marauder's axe and the spears from when Night Sentinels were surrounding him, but it's still an interesting theory no less.

Last edited:

dolke

Smash Cadet
I guess a positive of Byleth is if they contradict anything any leaker said and the fact there's still more fighters coming.
I care less about FE to even be mad at it, but they could have at least gone for a Nintendo series that has yet to be represented with a fighter.
But FE already feels over represented and simply being first party makes it stick out like a sore thumb.
In fact, i thought it was stated the fighters would be from series new to Smash.

If you look at this pic, you can see the icon to the right underneath the khan makyr. This makes me think he'll be a boss in some capacity, but no way he'll be the final boss of the game.
makyr.jpg

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

I'll always reiterate that the whole new series thing was a miss quote from Reggie, what he actually said was just the DLC would be new characters in general because every veteran was already in the base game.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, looking at Byleth’s moveset, his Up-B is kinda exactly like how I’d imagine Doom Slayer’s Meat Hook, if that were his Up-B. Differences would be that the ascent would be much slower and it would have more than one option when you catch an opponent, kind of like Corrin’s Dragon Lunge (In this case, B to release early, A to blast with Super Shotgun). Anyone kinda see that?

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I ever requested or asked but seeing as Doomguy is still my most wanted, I would like to be put on the supporters' list, please.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Cuphead is not Microsoft.
Considering the fact that it initially released exclusively on Microsoft Windows and Xbox One in 2017 (with Microsoft being the ones to approach them and inquire about a Switch port, no less), I think that constitutes it enough as a Microsoft game.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Considering the fact that it initially released exclusively on Microsoft Windows and Xbox One in 2017 (with Microsoft being the ones to approach them and inquire about a Switch port, no less), I think that constitutes it enough as a Microsoft game.
Does Microsoft own the IP and/or show up as the publisher? I believe the answer is "no", therefore it isn't a Microsoft game. You can verify that from countless sources-

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/cuphead-switch/

Screenshot_20200121-085027.png

Screenshot_20200121-084650.png
Compare that to Ori and the Blind Forest which actually lists Microsoft Studios as the publisher and copyright holder on Nintendo's website-

https://www.nintendo.com/games/deta...finitive-edition-switch/?cid=P1004-01:ch=pmpd

Screenshot_20200121-084909.png

Screenshot_20200121-084822.png

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys.

Just wanted to pop in and show my support for DOOM Guy. Although I don't have a lot of experience playing DOOM, I think he'd be a great choice and the perfect candidate to represent the FPS genre. I don't even like FPS's but DOOM has a great resume and I think there's enough there to justify his inclusion.

That, and I'm a Geno supporter and I want the Cacomallow leak to be real. lol

GolisoPower

Smash Master
New Doom Eternal gameplay is popping up, and lemme just say...

I fecking need a Switch release date soon! Everything about it is beautiful! It’s on my mind to the point where I want to start the demon massacre right now!

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
New Doom Eternal gameplay is popping up, and lemme just say...

I fecking need a Switch release date soon! Everything about it is beautiful! It’s on my mind to the point where I want to start the demon massacre right now!
It looks fantastic but I am slightly worried the Switch version might not live up to expectations. Similar quality to the Doom 2016 port is all I really need but this game looks so much larger and chaotic.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Does Microsoft own the IP and/or show up as the publisher? I believe the answer is "no", therefore it isn't a Microsoft game. You can verify that from countless sources-

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/cuphead-switch/

Compare that to Ori and the Blind Forest which actually lists Microsoft Studios as the publisher and copyright holder on Nintendo's website-

https://www.nintendo.com/games/deta...finitive-edition-switch/?cid=P1004-01:ch=pmpd

And yet the fact that it was Microsoft who inquired MDHR about giving the game a Switch port (conveniently around the time that MS have become all buddy-buddy with Nintendo) yet the game has been confirmed to not be receiving a PlayStation release isn't batting any eyes?
Just because MDHR self published the game doesn't mean that Microsoft don't have a minor stake in either the game or development studio.
And besides, what harm is there in listing Cuphead as a Microsoft property regardless? At least it gives the Slayer a bit more wiggle room when it comes to inclusion chances.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Cuphead is not Microsoft.
My mistake, I always thought it was Microsoft. However, as another person pointed out in this thread, Microsoft had a hand with the game's development and was vital in giving the game a Switch port. So I guess that's where my confusion came from.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
The new Doom Eternal footage looks great, the game looks a lot more involved than the last one. Doom 2016 already looks very bare by comparison though I expect a "meta" will develop while playing this game too. FPS platforming is always questionable but it doesn't look too bad here. I can see why they had to delay the Switch version even further, the hardware will no doubt struggle with it especially the seemingly increased enemy count.

I didn't expect the early level previews to be so spoiler heavy.
At one point a radio broadcast literally refers to you as "Doom Guy" making it officially an in-universe name along with Doom Slayer and Doom Marine.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, not touching the spoilers, tempting as it may be.

Okay, this render looks good.

Also, this which I saw earlier made me think... Imagine playing any Doom on your Switch while somewhere on Mars!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So update on the Switch release of Doom Eternal:

“Marty Stratton” said:
It’s coming out a bit later than it is on the current platforms and PC, and that’s really just because we want to finish the game on these platforms and then give it to Panic Button - our partner on it - the time they really need to pull those refinements into the Switch. It’s not going to be a huge delay, but we haven’t announced the launch time frame yet, but they are fantastic partners. They are the masters of that platform.
So that’s kind of reassuring, but how long do you think Panic Button took porting Doom ‘16 to the Switch? Because hopefully that means it’ll be like a month or so for the Switch version to release. Maybe just before E3 or something?

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
So after seeing a post from the general newcomer board, do you guys think if Doom Slayer does become a smash character of it would raise Doom popularity in the East like how Fire Emblem did in the west?

So update on the Switch release of Doom Eternal:

So that’s kind of reassuring, but how long do you think Panic Button took porting Doom ‘16 to the Switch? Because hopefully that means it’ll be like a month or so for the Switch version to release. Maybe just before E3 or something?
nice to hear that it won’t be too long to wait, but I already got it on pc even though I wanted it on Switch first. Don’t want to be spoiled eating for the Switch version, I’ll get that later.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Source Gaming put out a video about Doom content that we could potentially see if Doomguy made it into Smash Ultimate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oq7hjG1Zm8

I feel like the stage idea is a bit complicated (it seems like they would probably stick with something straightforward, like the UAC base from Doom 2016, or E1M1 from the original, since most third party stages tend to be locations from the very start of the game), and Rathalos is an odd choice for Doomguy's final boss in Classic mode (I figured it would be Ganon or Dracula), but otherwise, I liked the video. The list of spirits is quite thorough.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Source Gaming put out a video about Doom content that we could potentially see if Doomguy made it into Smash Ultimate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oq7hjG1Zm8

I feel like the stage idea is a bit complicated (it seems like they would probably stick with something straightforward, like the UAC base from Doom 2016, or E1M1 from the original, since most third party stages tend to be locations from the very start of the game), and Rathalos is an odd choice for Doomguy's final boss in Classic mode (I figured it would be Ganon or Dracula), but otherwise, I liked the video. The list of spirits is quite thorough.
That video felt kinda lazy.
It only covered the specials (seriously, the chainsaw as just a down special.)
The stage idea was confusing (just stick to the Doom 2016 UAC base.)
Aside from "At Doom's Gate," "Kitchen Ace (and Taking Names)," "BFG Division," and "Rip & Tear," their music choices don't seem to fit Smash.
I didn't get why they didn't use Ganon to represent the Cyberdemon in Classic Run.
And WHY THE #@#% DID THEY NOT INCLUDE THE SPIDER MASTERMIND IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM!?!?

dolke

Smash Cadet
That video felt kinda lazy.
It only covered the specials (seriously, the chainsaw as just a down special.)
The stage idea was confusing (just stick to the Doom 2016 UAC base.)
Aside from "At Doom's Gate," "Kitchen Ace (and Taking Names)," "BFG Division," and "Rip & Tear," their music choices don't seem to fit Smash.
I didn't get why they didn't use Ganon to represent the Cyberdemon in Classic Run.
And WHY THE #@#% DID THEY NOT INCLUDE THE SPIDER MASTERMIND IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM!?!?
you think running from evil or into sandy's city shouldn't be in smash? smh

KillerCage

Smash Master
you think running from evil or into sandy's city shouldn't be in smash? smh
I knew I was forgetting someting and turns out it was "Running from Evil."
After relistening to "Into Sandy's City," I think it can work in Smash as well.
The rest... not so much.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Interview with the director of the new Doom game and the subject of Smash is touched upon.

I know the site looks click baity (well it is) but the gaming pages are from a well respected journalist who has been around gaming for a long time in the UK.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/doom-eternal-preview-interview-chess-arcade-shooter-12095644/

Specific smash quote:

GC: What about the rumours of Doom Slayer being in Smash Bros.? [This was a couple of days before the Byleth announcement – GC] Do you think it could ever happen? MS: I don’t know. We’ve asked them. GC: You asked them? MS: Yeah. GC: Well, that’s how Solid Snake got in it. Would they discount it just because of the gore and violence though? MS: I dunno. You would honestly have to ask them. We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’ But we’re open-minded if they wanna ask. But we hear it all the time [from fans]. Who would say no? [laughs] GC: But you did ask them? MS: We’ve had… I don’t even know who talked to who, but we’ve bantered with them. We have a great relationship with them through bringing Doom 2016 to Switch and that kind of stuff. So we have great people over there but it’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool?’ But it’s never gone anywhere serious, so we’ll see.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/doom...ew-chess-arcade-shooter-12095644/?ito=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
Doesn’t sound too good for him. If they still haven’t been approached then he isn’t gonna be in the second pass.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Specific smash quote:

Doesn’t sound too good but could be a PR response
That's... Bad...

Like Doomsday Scenario kind of bad, lmao. If the DLC's are already decided and this interview just came in, it would mean Doomguy didn't make the cut at all. Sure, it can also be a move to deter others from discussing Doomguy, then give us a big surprise... But I don't know what to think on now...

We'll probably have to wait...

Top Bottom