• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

volbound1700

Smash Master
By the way, my dad bought Doom 2 when I was 10 years old back in the 1990s. (We also later got Doom 1 episode 1 as a mail-in promotion with it. I think it was shareware anyways). I remember that I figured out the cheat codes as a kid and would love to go invincible with IDDQD and use IDCLIP to run through the level and wakeup all of the monsters then once them duke it out with each other. The monster in-fighting was a great mechanic.

DoomJerk

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoomJerk
Switch FC
SW-7821-3739-0301
Heads up for console players: the new updates for Classic Doom and Doom II with add-on support and quality-of-life improvements are now live!

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Yes, I just downloaded Final Doom on the Switch, and will also download No Rest For The Living since I've never actually played that one. Good stuff all around!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's the patch notes; I'm not sure how much of a difference 60 FPS will make compared to the original games (I don't pay a ton of attention to the whole "frames per second" concept when playing games), but level select and the ability to quickly select weapons with the D-pad are welcome additions. However, for Doom 2, I'll just play the levels in order.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’m loving all these changes! Despite me it yet buying them. But I’m really excited to be able to play the whole Doom saga on Switch!

Sigil and Final Doom, No rest for the living, this is great!

Only thing that would make this perfect for me would be being able to play with the dpad. I feel these are the kind of games that put a lot of strain on the joysticks. And mine feels like it could snap at any second.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I checked the level select in Doom, and I found out that the game has a Wolfenstein level. While exploring the level and checking the map for hidden doors, I found a section that had a super shotgun, a power-up that gives 200% health and armour, and a BFG.

Needless to say, I was not expecting to be able to blow up Nazis with a BFG, but it's going to make the level a LOT more fun haha.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I checked the level select in Doom, and I found out that the game has a Wolfenstein level. While exploring the level and checking the map for hidden doors, I found a section that had a super shotgun, a power-up that gives 200% health and armour, and a BFG.

Needless to say, I was not expecting to be able to blow up Nazis with a BFG, but it's going to make the level a LOT more fun haha.
Yeah, that's Map31: WOLFENSTEIN, the secret level of Doom 2. It's a 1:1 recreation of Wolfenstein 3D's E1M1, resplendent its original secrets, SS Troopers and Pinky Demons (the latter in place of German Shepherds). That secret you found with the SSG, Backpacks and BFG is actually unique to the Doom 2 version of the level.

Keep an eye out for a secret exit just before you hit the exit button; it'll lead you to the super-secret level, Map32: GROSSE.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, that's Map31: WOLFENSTEIN, the secret level of Doom 2. It's a 1:1 recreation of Wolfenstein 3D's E1M1, resplendent its original secrets, SS Troopers and Pinky Demons (the latter in place of German Shepherds). That secret you found with the SSG, Backpacks and BFG is actually unique to the Doom 2 version of the level.

Keep an eye out for a secret exit just before you hit the exit button; it'll lead you to the super-secret level, Map32: GROSSE.
Shame that they didn't include more Wolfenstein 3D levels. It would have been great to blow up Mecha-Hitler with Doomguy.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Just started playing through Sigil. Thank the Seraphim that I figured out what those weird eye things were, or I would've been stuck. It's pretty fun. The maps are well-constructed, the difficulty is steady, and it feels like a series of levels that could have been in the original Doom. Overall, I like it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just started playing through Sigil. Thank the Seraphim that I figured out what those weird eye things were, or I would've been stuck. It's pretty fun. The maps are well-constructed, the difficulty is steady, and it feels like a series of levels that could have been in the original Doom. Overall, I like it.
Does it have the Buckethead soundtrack or the MIDI one?

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Another good read, a very nice.
...Although I do have some thoughts.
Firstly I think there's a typo at the spirit section with "Spirits would obviously be included with a Doom Fighter Pack and there isn’t any shortage of ghoulish fiends to include. I would" and it kinda just cuts off there.
Secondly, no Cacodemon or even Imp spirit battle, some of the more famous Doom enemies? I mean fair enough but it would make sense.
But the one I can never forgive, no E1M1/At Doom's Gate for the music section? Shakin' my head.
Also the hell pun made me laugh and I'm very disappointed in myself.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Another good read, a very nice.
...Although I do have some thoughts.
Firstly I think there's a typo at the spirit section with "Spirits would obviously be included with a Doom Fighter Pack and there isn’t any shortage of ghoulish fiends to include. I would" and it kinda just cuts off there.
Secondly, no Cacodemon or even Imp spirit battle, some of the more famous Doom enemies? I mean fair enough but it would make sense.
But the one I can never forgive, no E1M1/At Doom's Gate for the music section? Shakin' my head.
Also the hell pun made me laugh and I'm very disappointed in myself.
I’ll fix that part in the article. It must of been something I meant to finish but overlooked. As for E1M1, that’s kind an obvious track that would be included so I wanted to allow for some other choices. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to add it in though. As for Cacodemon and Imp, I set the limitations for only six spirit battles to save time and space. Considering that I highlighted both previously as a mii hat or content element, I decided to forgo them in exchange for other content I hadn’t included.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I think he's just trying to have some fun. In terms of Smash there really hasn't been anything to talk about, so I don't blame him for going down a rabbit hole like this.
This pretty much. We're on a dry spell as far as speculation goes, so might as well have some fun with crackpot theories like this that probably don't mean anything for the hell of it.
see, i said hell, so i'm on-topic with the thread

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I looked at that article about Doomguy's inclusion and i didn't really read that carefully (So sorry on that one) but one thing i would suggest is making sure the representation isn't 2016/Eternal Doom heavy.
Mostly because of the art direction, not only with the classic Doom armor but also the look of the stage.
Considering the reputation and influence on level design and the Megawads, i feel like a UAC base would make sense if it had some classic Phobos in it and with Hell, the first games had a more versatile Hell version, as opposed to 2016's, 3's or even 64's Hell.
The new games can expand the gameplay but the classic designs are still iconic and even less "overdetailed" and colorfull/cartoony, along with what they represent too.

I remember making some medium post where i tried bringing up some suggestions for Doomguy in Smash and the idea was mostly exploring different games and going on a similar route to something like the mod MetaDoom.
Problem is, that post is so outdated, it was made before when spirits were announced, but released after that and i don't feel like making a follow up or editing the post, so anything that could have be seen as additions and more ideas are just previous posts i posted in this thread.
But basically, always start at the beginning then progress until the last entry.
Sometimes you can make literal combinations, like a Praetor suit that is even more classic and has a grey helmet.
Or "Mick Gordon noises" on Bobby Prince music.
Here's the post in question https://medium.com/@bigfunnygun9000...eat-addition-for-smash-long-post-7c00b53022e6 which is old and outdated.
I've also made this about Hell's portrayal in Doom https://medium.com/@bigfunnygun9000/another-post-about-hell-in-doom-c468af92b228 and as of right now, i noticed something that shouldn't be in there in the end and i tried editing it, so i'm not sure if it's gone but oh well.

I guess the console ports are a bit better at least although it won't really compare to the more options on a fanmade source port or even the more faithfull experiences.
Or the mods and fanmade content.
After all, since the beginning, they could have got in touch with some source port devs.
But even GZDoom isn't that perfect and i wish some other ports like PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom were brought up more times.
If anyone wants to be better at Doom, you can watch the PRO DOOM MONSTER STRATS video by Pordontae or most Decino's videos where he explains a lot of Doom stuff.

I'm curious about what the new trailer could include, like more about the monsters or the HUB.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Here's a better idea, let's see how many of you were born on the right month for this Twitter game:

I am one month off from doom slayer (September) :(

I looked at that article about Doomguy's inclusion and i didn't really read that carefully (So sorry on that one) but one thing i would suggest is making sure the representation isn't 2016/Eternal Doom heavy.
Mostly because of the art direction, not only with the classic Doom armor but also the look of the stage.
Considering the reputation and influence on level design and the Megawads, i feel like a UAC base would make sense if it had some classic Phobos in it and with Hell, the first games had a more versatile Hell version, as opposed to 2016's, 3's or even 64's Hell.
The new games can expand the gameplay but the classic designs are still iconic and even less "overdetailed" and colorfull/cartoony, along with what they represent too.

I remember making some medium post where i tried bringing up some suggestions for Doomguy in Smash and the idea was mostly exploring different games and going on a similar route to something like the mod MetaDoom.
Problem is, that post is so outdated, it was made before when spirits were announced, but released after that and i don't feel like making a follow up or editing the post, so anything that could have be seen as additions and more ideas are just previous posts i posted in this thread.
But basically, always start at the beginning then progress until the last entry.
Sometimes you can make literal combinations, like a Praetor suit that is even more classic and has a grey helmet.
Or "Mick Gordon noises" on Bobby Prince music.
Here's the post in question https://medium.com/@bigfunnygun9000...eat-addition-for-smash-long-post-7c00b53022e6 which is old and outdated.
I've also made this about Hell's portrayal in Doom https://medium.com/@bigfunnygun9000/another-post-about-hell-in-doom-c468af92b228 and as of right now, i noticed something that shouldn't be in there in the end and i tried editing it, so i'm not sure if it's gone but oh well.

I guess the console ports are a bit better at least although it won't really compare to the more options on a fanmade source port or even the more faithfull experiences.
Or the mods and fanmade content.
After all, since the beginning, they could have got in touch with some source port devs.
But even GZDoom isn't that perfect and i wish some other ports like PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom were brought up more times.
If anyone wants to be better at Doom, you can watch the PRO DOOM MONSTER STRATS video by Pordontae or most Decino's videos where he explains a lot of Doom stuff.

I'm curious about what the new trailer could include, like more about the monsters or the HUB.
I was thinking the stage could be the Argent Tower,, which then explodes and sends you to Kadingir Sanctum (like reset bomb forest) and in the back ground of Kadingir Sanctum demons would fight each other, then you get tethered back to the Argent Tower.
Also I think there should be a Doom 2 song and Doom1-2 sprites for some spirits to balance things

chemo

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of Mii costumes, I think the Zombieman (Eternal version)/Possessed Soldier and Cyberdemon/Tyrant are natural fits since, y'know, like the Mii Gunner they use an arm cannon as their main weapon.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Welp, here goes nothing...

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Welp, here goes nothing...
Oh boy, it's finally time! The fact that Sakurai himself is revealing the character is a pretty big deal. Hopefully the character he's showing off is a certain demon killing space marine, so let's hope for the best and expect the worst.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy, it's finally time! The fact that Sakurai himself is revealing the character is a pretty big deal. Hopefully the character he's showing off is a certain demon killing space marine, so let's hope for the best and expect the worst.
What's there to reveal if it's Dante? Lmao. Even the DMC page went their way to leak the date themselves.
Inb4, Sabi suddenly having a revelation and saying Dante is next, haha.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
What's there to reveal if it's Dante? Lmao. Even the DMC page went their way to leak the date themselves.
Inb4, Sabi suddenly having a revelation and saying Dante is next, haha.
January 16...
dying.jpeg

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
At the very least, if Dante does turn out to be FP5, we can all join hands to dance upon the grave marking the credibility of many a leaker under the pale moonlight:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
At the very least, if Dante does turn out to be FP5, we can all join hands to dance upon the grave marking the credibility of many a leaker under the pale moonlight:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Screencap that.
It may turn out "missing", lmao.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Doom bros! Sending all the good vibes and luck for our Marine. Anyone expecting more than the reveal and breakdown? Perhaps a tease for Post Pass?

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I guess it's because the whole Night Sentinel/Argent stuff still feels new to me, even though Bayonetta 2 came in the same year as SSB4 and she was a DLC for the game with 2's design as the main look.
I feel like another reason for a Doom stage focusing on the classic game aesthetics has to do with the abstract look of the levels and the fact textures and assets are more "modular"?
I compare them to the level assets and sprites to games like Mario and Sonic games, because of the "gamey" look of the levels too.
The way how certain walls will always repeat and there's multiples of a specific prop.
Duke Nukem 3D is like a middle ground between Doom's style of levels and the more story focused levels in Half-Life.
Build games try to have more specific locations but still have that "modular" asset feeling to me, but HL's levels weren't always realistic either.
Maybe i'm poorly looking at this.

I can't say the older Doom games have the perfect art style when the Cacodemons were literally based off a DnD monster and traced over some DnD book.
They're iconic sure, but still.
In fact, most Doom games and their designs can be seen as reflections of their eras, with the original appearing around the time of a satanism controversy.
Also, something i wanted to share was this video on the new console ports https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4b7lzdTSbY which sort of covers them a bit.
Anyway, we finally got something about Smash's last fighter in the pass.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Good lordy, that trailer was epic!

That standoff between Doom Slayer and the Marauder got me thinking about the relationship between the two, though. I mean, in that portion of the game we hear a voice (maybe the Marauder's), saying to the Doom Slayer, "You are nothing but a usurper...a false idol." This heavily implies that maybe the Marauder was a part of the Night Sentinels, and was their rightful heir to the crown, but the Doom Slayer took it from him somehow, and he made a pact with the demons to try and take it from him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Hopefully the fact that the Switch version isn't included at the end is just because it's not coming out on the same day as the others.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Is this part of the mouth part of the Doom protagonist's helmet? Not my image. (I'm here from the Geno thread)
That's funny that Color Theory is likely to be correct. If it's by complete coincidence (I'm pretty sure it is, I don't know why Sakurai would pick characters based off a certain range of colors), then that is one heck of a big coincidence.

I have to say that brown definitely fits Doom Slayer.

Cacomallow leak, Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash, and my own little theory: Sakurai bringing up the FPS talk while discussing Banjo's neutral special. I had a feeling that was him experimenting with a FPS mechanic that could evolve to work with a FPS character like Doom Slayer. And also Daisy Theory because of Doomguy's pet rabbit Daisy.

It's all coming together!

EDIT 2: Guys! There's green next to Sakurai's hair!

Holy s*** it might just be happening

Last edited:
Top Bottom