• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Doom 1 was pretty fun though I prefer Doom 2 and Doom 2016.
This is due to the first two missions of Episode 4.
They represent a MASSIVE difficulty spike.
Don't be afraid to use cheats.
I'm playing it on the Switch, so I don't know if cheats are an option, but thanks. I'll see how difficult episode 4 is, but I might stop at episode 3 if episode 4 is particularly bad.

Gonna need to hold out a bit longer; BFG doesn't appear until E3M3 in a secret area.
Good to know. At least I can play through the next few levels without wondering if I've missed the BFG somewhere.

EDIT: I beat the Cyberdemon! Judging by the text at the end of episode 2, it seems like episode 3 was intended to be the final one, so that helps me justify it if I stop there.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I'm playing it on the Switch, so I don't know if cheats are an option, but thanks. I'll see how difficult episode 4 is, but I might stop at episode 3 if episode 4 is particularly bad.

Good to know. At least I can play through the next few levels without wondering if I've missed the BFG somewhere.

EDIT: I beat the Cyberdemon! Judging by the text at the end of episode 2, it seems like episode 3 was intended to be the final one, so that helps me justify it if I stop there.
Nice. Episode 3 is the one I remember the least with classic Doom, other than I wanted to die at points during it. So uh, good luck!

D

Deleted member

For OG Doom, I will say there is no shame in save scumming. If you die, just reload your save with all of your weapons. You shouldn't suffer by just having the pistol.

If doomguy is fp5, do you guys think we'd see any eternal influence or perhaps even some songs from doom eternal?
I think Eternal would be the primary influence. Even for his recovery, I was thinking it would be the grappling hook from Eternal (I mean if Joker can have that even before P5R was revealed, I think the same can happen here).

I think that if Doomguy did get in then his Victory Theme would be the intermission track from the original game.
I'm thinking it will be Intermission or the stage clear theme from 2016.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For OG Doom, I will say there is no shame in save scumming. If you die, just reload your save with all of your weapons. You shouldn't suffer by just having the pistol.
Yeah, I definitely have no problem with doing that. I ran out of rockets during the Cyberdemon fight, and if I hadn't loaded my previous saves every time I died, I would have been forced to finish him off with the pistol instead of the chaingun.

Also, I made it to E3M3 and got the BFG! Unfortunately, ammo seems scarce (and it's shared with the plasma gun), so I'll save it for the Spider-Mastermind. (unless there are any Barons of Hell or Cyberdemons between here and there, which seems like a very real possibility)

Last edited:

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
I'll admit I'm not ashamed to IDKFA my way through a play through from time to time, not that I only run with the cheats, but there's times it's nice to just max out the ol' ammo case. This holds doubly true for Plutonia and TNT.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I have a long history with Doom. I started with the PlayStation port before I found the PC version. Now, I'm an avid player.

tactical_meme

Smash Rookie
I'll admit I'm not ashamed to IDKFA my way through a play through from time to time, not that I only run with the cheats, but there's times it's nice to just max out the ol' ammo case. This holds doubly true for Plutonia and TNT.
I tend to use IDFA more than IDKFA. I get access to all of the weapons with full ammo but I still get to go around and find the keys or whatever else I need to progress. I do this especially with mods like Brutal Doom where there's a huge arsenal that I just want to mess around with from the start.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
What's popping y'all. Lately I've been playing a lot of Doom 1 and 2 on GZDoom like one of you suggested, and I'll damned, they're fun as hell games (pun not intended)! Much better than the 32X version I was playing on emulator before. I'll miss the fart soundtrack, though.

I don't know how well Doomguy's chances hold up anymore, but you can definitely call me in as supporter. He's even included in my signature now. Blue_Sword_Edge Blue_Sword_Edge Megadoomer Megadoomer Sorry to ask, but may I be added to the list?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What's popping y'all. Lately I've been playing a lot of Doom 1 and 2 on GZDoom like one of you suggested, and I'll damned, they're fun as hell games (pun not intended)! Much better than the 32X version I was playing on emulator before. I'll miss the fart soundtrack, though.

I don't know how well Doomguy's chances hold up anymore, but you can definitely call me in as supporter. He's even included in my signature now. Blue_Sword_Edge Blue_Sword_Edge Megadoomer Megadoomer Sorry to ask, but may I be added to the list?
Sure; I just added you to the first post.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

Niceu niceu. GZDoom is a good platform to play the doom games on, given it doubles as a wad machine. Now just go play 3 and 2016 and you're properly set.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

I personally believe Doomguy's chances haven't been affected. I think Fatmanonice is a cool dude, but i'm not really buying his theory. If we're getting Dragonborn, then I don't think Cacomalow's real. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, why talk to Id Software(or at the very least, if they don't have to talk to Id, they do have to credit them regardless)just so you can make two brand spanking new costumes? Because let's face it, if we're getting a Cacodemon Mii hat, then it's most likely coming with a Doomguy costume. Maybe it's my Doom bias speaking, but his theory really doesn't sit well with me. Anyways enjoy Doom 1 and 2, playing them on GZDoom is a FAR better experience than playing them on the recent ports imo. Also if you're in the mood for some Doom music, try listening to the 3DO version of Doom's soundtrack. It's pretty great, especially if you need a break from those MIDIs.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Fun fact; GZDoom comes with a multitude of onboard soundcard emulators, which allow you to listen to the soundtrack in either a chiptune format, 3DO, 32X and many more. Just root around in sound until you find the option to change the soundcard player.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Sure; I just added you to the first post.
Thank you.

Niceu niceu. GZDoom is a good platform to play the doom games on, given it doubles as a wad machine. Now just go play 3 and 2016 and you're properly set.
Sure, I'll just download their wads and plop them into GZDoom. That's how it works, right?...

I personally believe Doomguy's chances haven't been affected. I think Fatmanonice is a cool dude, but i'm not really buying his theory. If we're getting Dragonborn, then I don't think Cacomalow's real. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, why talk to Id Software(or at the very least, if they don't have to talk to Id, they do have to credit them regardless)just so you can make two brand spanking new costumes? Because let's face it, if we're getting a Cacodemon Mii hat, then it's most likely coming with a Doomguy costume. Maybe it's my Doom bias speaking, but his theory really doesn't sit well with me. Anyways enjoy Doom 1 and 2, playing them on GZDoom is a FAR better experience than playing them on the recent ports imo. Also if you're in the mood for some Doom music, try listening to the 3DO version of Doom's soundtrack. It's pretty great, especially if you need a break from those MIDIs.
I'll admit, all the Dragonborn talk lately made me wary of Doomguy's chances now, but you're probably right. Reaching out to Id for a couple costumes and nothing else just doesn't sound right. If they were a company owned by Bethesda like I believed for the longest time it'd make sense to have them with Dragonborn, but they're not. I'll go on a limb here and say that if Dragonborn is fighter 5, then he won't come with Cacodemon and Doomguy still probably has a shot later

3DO Doom soundtrack you say, eh? I remember Stop Skeletons From Fighting talking about it in one of their videos. Isn't it the one that sounds like a fan remix of the original tracks? Aight, Imma check it out

Fun fact; GZDoom comes with a multitude of onboard soundcard emulators, which allow you to listen to the soundtrack in either a chiptune format, 3DO, 32X and many more. Just root around in sound until you find the option to change the soundcard player.
Hmm I think I did stumble across it, but I don't remember being able to change it to 3DO or 32X. I guess I just didn't mess around enough

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Would appreciate being added to that list as well, not sure why I didn't ask before, but better late than never.
Sure - it's done.

I'm hoping to beat the original Doom (or at least episode 3) today - I'm on E3M3, so I don't think it will take long given how surprisingly quickly I got through the other levels. (for whatever reason, I find it easier to get into on the Switch)

dolke

Smash Cadet
Sure - it's done.

I'm hoping to beat the original Doom (or at least episode 3) today - I'm on E3M3, so I don't think it will take long given how surprisingly quickly I got through the other levels. (for whatever reason, I find it easier to get into on the Switch)
Ooh, me next!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Sure - it's done.

Look out for the secret BFG!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Look out for the secret BFG!
I did find it! (admittedly, I used a guide - I didn't want to risk missing it) I also found out that you can't pause when it's equipped, at least in the Switch version.

dolke

Smash Cadet
Have you guys seen this? someone posted it in Papagenos' server last night, and I'm not sure what to think.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys seen this? someone posted it in Papagenos' server last night, and I'm not sure what to think.
This doesn't mean anything because even if the Doom Slayer is in Smash, Hugo would probably be under some NDA.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
That’s most likely fake. It’s unlikely Hugo would’ve even responded and that was back in August. Why are we hearing about this now?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beat Doom (well, episode 3, at least - since that's where "The End" showed up, I'm treating that as the ending and not worrying about episode 4) today! It was fun, and I'm hoping to try Doom 2 at some point. (I'm not sure if I'll go with the Switch or PC - I found Doom 1 easier to get into on the Switch)

KillerCage

Smash Master
I beat Doom (well, episode 3, at least - since that's where "The End" showed up, I'm treating that as the ending and not worrying about episode 4) today! It was fun, and I'm hoping to try Doom 2 at some point. (I'm not sure if I'll go with the Switch or PC - I found Doom 1 easier to get into on the Switch)
I also played Doom 2 for the first time on the Switch. It's honesty better than Doom 1 due to the Super Shotgun, more enemy variety, and a MUCH better difficulty curve. The final boss is kinda BS since it's vulnerable only to the rocket launcher and time it perfectly three times while being lifted up.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Heh I always felt Doom 1 had a perfect difficulty curve, but Doom 2’s was all over the place.

Like the 1st 2 or 3 maps are easy, then the 4th one gets ridiculously hard. I think it’s in map 12 when you bump into two terrifying surprises at the beginning of the level, and from there on, they all feel like troll levels.

Still the best doom I’ve played so far. But there’s something about Doom 1 that makes me like it more. I feel I know where the story is going as I progress. Doom 2 lacks the level complete map, and the story bits come like twice in the whole game. Maybe it’s just this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Anyone can fake a screenshot.
2. Even if it is real, I doubt many can comment on Smash. He could be truthful or he is saying this out of NDA.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Nice, congratulations. Episode 4 is really just added fluff that doesn't really mean anything anyway so it's fine to skip out on it for now. I'd recommend Doom 2 on the Switch too considering that's how you got into Doom 1 and Doom 2 is just "Doom 1 but more".
Also Doom 2 is great but around halfway/three quarters in it becomes hot garbage so be wary for that.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Even if the screenshot is real, “not at this time” sounds a lot like “don’t hold your breath. It wasn’t a hard “no” like Sora, Master Chief, Travis, ect. Not to mention this screenshot happened before the post pass announcement.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
If you haven’t see this already, here is a speculation article about Doom Slayer. Please check it out!

https://smashboards.com/threads/smashboards-presents-doomslayer-a-smash-perspective-part-1.497138/
Well that was certainly a very good read. The only thing I'd say because I'm a nitpicking mook is that it says Eternal comes out next year, even though that write up was posted yesterday. So overall because of that small error, 0/10 show your work.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I wish the links in this article went to doomwiki.org rather than Wikia.

The independently-maintained wiki doesn't get the attention it deserves and Wikia FANDOM is a cesspit.
Agreed, the Fandom site is a shallow imitation of Doomwiki, which actually goes into stupendous greater detail than the former.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I wish the links in this article went to doomwiki.org rather than Wikia.

The independently-maintained wiki doesn't get the attention it deserves and Wikia FANDOM is a cesspit.
I wasn’t aware of the other Doomwiki nor am I apart of the FANDOM community so I’m unaware of it being a cesspit or not. It had readily available information that I could use. I’ll look and perhaps split the links fifty fifty. Can’t promise anything.

Well that was certainly a very good read. The only thing I'd say because I'm a nitpicking mook is that it says Eternal comes out next year, even though that write up was posted yesterday. So overall because of that small error, 0/10 show your work.
I am sorry for that error. Truth be told, this was initially written back in October but was edited and changed throughout the fall and finally got approved to be published today. I changed the date to this year.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
On another note, interesting how you elected to have his primary alt be his 2016 Praetor Suit as opposed to the Eternal Praetor Suit. Any particular reason why?

chemo

Smash Apprentice
I wasn’t aware of the other Doomwiki nor am I apart of the FANDOM community so I’m unaware of its a cesspit or not. It had information that I could use. I’ll look and perhaps split the links fifty fifty. Can’t promise anything.
Yeah, maybe cesspit is a strong word, because the thing is, the Doom Wiki is much better organized and in-depth (though it isn't perfect, probably due to lack of staff), is maintained by regulars and moderators at Doomworld, and doesn't have to deal with the wrath of Wikia's hand. It doesn't help that the FANDOM wiki dominates search engine results, so I can't really blame you for using it.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master

Episode 4 was added later on and really wasn't a part of the original Doom trilogy. Go play Doom 2, it is significantly better than Doom 1. Wait to you get to the teens, they are some of the best levels in Doom. Level 12 Factory, Level 13 Downtown, and Level 15 Industrial Zone stand out as very awesome levels but they are all great.

The new monsters in Doom 2 as well as the super shotgun make it a far more enjoyable game. You have 2x the number of monster types to deal with.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
On another note, interesting how you elected to have his primary alt be his 2016 Praetor Suit as opposed to the Eternal Praetor Suit. Any particular reason why?
I wanted some crisp 3D tendered artwork to work with and I felt that 2016 Doom Slayer worked well for it. Honestly, we would probably see the Eternal version probably. I forgot to mention that in my write-up.

Top Bottom