• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Actually you can the remains of the Dragonborn inside a cave within Hell, suggesting the world of Skyrim was invaded by demons and comsumed.
Granted it is just a cameo, but the point still stand.
Ahh really?
Well still, I don't think The Elder Scrolls and Doom are entwined together on the same degree as KoF/Fatal Fury. Banjo had a costume pack on Minecraft yet no Minecraft content came with him. It's a bit tricky to think about it but Doom and The Elder Scrolls are separated from each other in terms of genre, characters, and settings. If a fighter pack for Doomguy or Dragonborn is decided then I don't think Sakurai would include content of the other series in it.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So that was a thing huh?

B639926D-56DA-4EC8-AC3D-C11B0F036675.jpeg

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't really think that a Skyrim pack would come with Doom costumes and vice versa.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Ahh really?
Well still, I don't think The Elder Scrolls and Doom are entwined together on the same degree as KoF/Fatal Fury. Banjo had a costume pack on Minecraft yet no Minecraft content came with him. It's a bit tricky to think about it but Doom and The Elder Scrolls are separated from each other in terms of genre, characters, and settings. If a fighter pack for Doomguy or Dragonborn is decided then I don't think Sakurai would include content of the other series in it.
This entwinement of the two franchises (or even the mere perception of it being so) would never have been a thing were it not for Bethesda's insistence on appropriating Doom's legacy through its role as publisher of the franchise's recent releases.

It doesn't matter how many times people point out that Zenimax owns both Id and Bethesda; it doesn't matter how many times a tweet from a Bethesda account shoves a Cacodemon plush into their Skyrim merch announcements; it doesn't matter how many times people try to legitimize this infinitesimal link by suggesting that the Dragonborn is a lock when a leak shows off a Cacodemon helmet.

DOOM is not a Bethesda property. The IP belongs to Id Software - people should recognise this fact and address the game as being so.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Actually you can the remains of the Dragonborn inside a cave within Hell, suggesting the world of Skyrim was invaded by demons and comsumed.
Granted it is just a cameo, but the point still stand.
It's just a silly cameo, Bethesda does stuff like this all the time. There's literally a Pikachu skeleton in Morrowind. xP

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
This entwinement of the two franchises (or even the mere perception of it being so) would never have been a thing were it not for Bethesda's insistence on appropriating Doom's legacy through its role as publisher of the franchise's recent releases.

It doesn't matter how many times people point out that Zenimax owns both Id and Bethesda; it doesn't matter how many times a tweet from a Bethesda account shoves a Cacodemon plush into their Skyrim merch announcements; it doesn't matter how many times people try to legitimize this infinitesimal link by suggesting that the Dragonborn is a lock when a leak shows off a Cacodemon helmet.

DOOM is not a Bethesda property. The IP belongs to Id Software - people should recognise this fact and address the game as being so.
Mere words cannot explain how much I love this post. Doom will always be an Id Software property to me. Just because Zenimax owns both Id Software and Bethesda, doesn't just magically make Doom a Bethesda property.

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice

I'm glad other people feel the same way about this. Personally, when I look at the IPs Zenimax owns, I see them as "belonging" to the developers who oversee those franchises (except Wolfenstein, since while MachineGames is the company who shaped the series into what it is today, Id Software are the ones who have owned the IP since 3D and they cemented the franchise as the bombastic Nazi-killing simulator everyone knows it as).

It puts a bad taste in my mouth when people put DOOM alongside Elder Scrolls and Fallout, when Id Software approaches their games completely differently than Bethesda Game Studios. Like, comparing the design philosophies and levels of professionalism that the two studios put into their projects is like night and day.

EDIT:

It's the way I similarly consider Bayonetta a PlatinumGames IP rather than one by Nintendo or SEGA, or Banjo-Kazooie a Rare one rather than a Microsoft one

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Umm, first of all, I have to wish everyone on the thread a Happy Holiday. Hopefully you're all doing great.

Second of all, while I do see where you're coming from with DOOM not being part of Bethesda...that isn't entirely true. They do hold some union with the series. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the property with the company.

I understand that the creators are ID Software and then Zenismax as the owners of that company or helpers but Bethesda is still having some hand over it all.

Like with :ultbanjokazooie:. He is Rare owned but still shows in the copyright as Microsoft, like it or not.

:bowser:.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Umm, first of all, I have to wish everyone on the thread a Happy Holiday. Hopefully you're all doing great.

Second of all, while I do see where you're coming from with DOOM not being part of Bethesda...that isn't entirely true. They do hold some union with the series. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the property with the company.

I understand that the creators are ID Software and then Zenismax as the owners of that company or helpers but Bethesda is still having some hand over it all.

Like with :ultbanjokazooie:. He is Rare owned but still shows in the copyright as Microsoft, like it or not.

I feel like Zenimax would be the copyright shown in Smash, not Bethesda. The only thing Bethesda does is publish the games. Zenimax is the studio that bought Id Software, they also own Bethesda. Which makes Id and Bethesda sister companies, it's similar to Banjo's situation but not exactly like it.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Zenimax would be the copyright shown in Smash, not Bethesda. The only thing Bethesda does is publish the games. Zenimax is the studio that bought Id Software, they also own Bethesda. Which makes Id and Bethesda sister companies, it's similar to Banjo's situation but not exactly like it.
So we're basically waiting until Nintendo/a definitive leak source lets slip a Zenimax copyright notation for Smash?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I feel like the copyright on the title screen would be Zenimax and ID Software.

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Within promotional materials DOOM is listed as a copyright owned by Id themselves

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, it is understandable but again, :ultbanjokazooie: is MICROSOFT in Smash, not Rare.

Surprisingly, :ultjoker: is Atlus in Ultimate instead of Sega, so there might be a case to make with Doom Slayer showing up and having the owner in Ultimate as ID Software or Zenismax. (One of, not both)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I can totally see Dragonborn being chosen over Doomguy for FP5, given that the game was popular in Japan and it was Switch launch title. But I just can't buy that the Cacodemon costume would come with a Skyrim character.

With the exception of Banjo, the new mii costumes we've gotten are somewhat directly related to the fighter they came with.

The new costumes that came with Joker are from Persona only. We didn't get any SMT costumes like Jack Frost when we easily could've.
The new costumes that came with Hero are strictly from Dragon Quest.
The new costumes that came with Terry are characters that appeared in KoF with him. Marco/Metal Slug characters were an obvious Mii Gunner outfit but didn't happen.

Skyrim has enough options itself to give us 10+ mii costumes. Plus we haven't had more than six costumes per wave so I find it hard to imagine that we use two for Doom (because if Doom gets mii costume'd then the Cacodemon would come with a Doom guy outfit obviously). Which leaves four spots for Skyrim and returning costumes.

I also think they would still need to consult with ID Software for the mii costumes too. Just another layer of work for two costumes.

But of course I could be wrong and this isn't really a pattern. I mean Terry's costumes are from different series even though they're all KoF costumes. I just don't think they would Mii Gunner Doom if they didn't Mii Gunner Metal Slug. Just my two cents.
Joke's release also included the Knuckles and Tails mii costumes. I was more excited about these costumes than Joker.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
This is the copyright found at the bottom of Doom Eternal's Steam and bethesda.net pages.

"© 2019 Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company. Bethesda, Bethesda Softworks, ZeniMax and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. DOOM, id, id Software and related logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of id Software LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. All Rights Reserved."

Doom would almost definitely be credited to id Software.

on a similar note I made a booboo and was telling people that Marvelous doesn't actually have any ownership of No More Heroes, which was wrong. woops

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
But the copyright is ID added with Bethesda AND Zenismax. I really doubt that all would be added.

Inb4 someone says that the copyright of the IP is associated with so many companies that it would be "difficult" to add a Doomguy/Doom Slayer in Smash.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So with this discussion about copyrights, would Doom Slayer affect the chances of Dragonborn/Vault Boy or not? I was under the impression that Bethesda owned Doom and ID just simply developed the games.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
So with this discussion about copyrights, would Doom Slayer affect the chances of Dragonborn/Vault Boy or not? I was under the impression that Bethesda owned Doom and ID just simply developed the games.
That's what i'm wondering. Even though all Bethesda really does is publish the new games, it's tough to say really. They don't own Doom, that much we basically know for sure. If Nintendo or Sakurai wanted Doomguy in Smash, I think they'd have to talk to Id Software about it. Since it seems like Id is the actual copyright owners when it comes to Doom.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know I shouldn't indulge myself in baseless speculation, but...
Why so many guns?
It's probably best to assume that these pictures of the day that Sakurai posts are just for fun, as opposed to them being hints towards future content. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself mad trying to figure out which pictures are hinting at characters, which characters they're hinting at, and so on.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
It's probably best to assume that these pictures of the day that Sakurai posts are just for fun, as opposed to them being hints towards future content. Otherwise, you'll drive yourself mad trying to figure out which pictures are hinting at characters, which characters they're hinting at, and so on.
Good idea. Especially given the fact that most people in the comments are saying that this confirms a K-pop band.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will say though, I did take it as a boon to speculation for Doomguy in relation to a certain leak...
My main takeaway from this is that there is some tool the developers have that makes all the characters taunt at the same time.

Other than that, it's just a cool image. It has style.
This by no means confirms the CacoMallow leak, of course, but it is a clear sign that the developers can have everyone taunt at the same time. It's a nice little boon.

It should also be noted that this was tweeted right beforehand, which really helps the case of this being a developer tool.
It's by no means a hint, but it still helps with its indirect implication of this taunt command, which was speculated to exist due to the nature of the Ken and CacoMallow leak.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Slayer is and always will be an Id Software character in my heart: even if it seems like him and Dragonborn are competing for the same "spot" by rumor standards.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Good idea. Especially given the fact that most people in the comments are saying that this confirms a K-pop band.
Yeah, it's best to ignore that sort of thing. It's utterly ridiculous.

Besides, it's clearly a reference to the Prism Rangers from Disgaea, meaning that Adell (a.k.a. Prism Black) is going to be playable.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that if Doomguy did get in then his Victory Theme would be the intermission track from the original game.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
This talk about Bethesda's copyright showing up or Doom being refered to as a Bethesda property reminded me of that one guy at E3 that claimed they invented the first person shooter genre because they just happen to own id Software and their games.
This was during the Orion segment.
This won't really affect me looking forward for Eternal but still, that was awful.
Almost like a joke from TheBestGamers, because some of their videos joked about Bethesda creating open world and RPG's.
Anyway, a crazy Mii costume suggestion would be the Mancubus because he'd have like two cannons.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
A "smashified" version of At Doom's Gate would be pretty nice. In the same vein as heard after you beat a level in 2016.

DoomJerk

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoomJerk
Switch FC
SW-7821-3739-0301
I had this crazy idea in my head of a Mii costume based on the Ranger from Quake, but instead of being a gunner he would be a Swordfighter and wield his axe from the first game.

dolke

Smash Cadet
If doomguy is fp5, do you guys think we'd see any eternal influence or perhaps even some songs from doom eternal?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
If doomguy is fp5, do you guys think we'd see any eternal influence or perhaps even some songs from doom eternal?
No doubt it'll more than likely be his primary influence, with some Classic and 2016 Doom on the side.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
God, Doomguy would be so awesome just for the soundtrack alone. If we even just got At Doom's Gate, Rip and Tear, and BFG Division, I would be ecstatic with that alone.

btw how do I get onto the supporter's list?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
God, Doomguy would be so awesome just for the soundtrack alone. If we even just got At Doom's Gate, Rip and Tear, and BFG Division, I would be ecstatic with that alone.

btw how do I get onto the supporter's list?
It might help to @ the person who started the thread to draw their attention to your post, but I can just edit you into the list.

I played a bit of the original Doom on Switch today, and I'm currently at E2M6. I've found the chainsaw, though I haven't been able to find the BFG yet. The maps seem pretty complex, though the in-game map makes it easier to find the hidden doors.

KillerCage

Smash Master
It might help to @ the person who started the thread to draw their attention to your post, but I can just edit you into the list.

I played a bit of the original Doom on Switch today, and I'm currently at E2M6. I've found the chainsaw, though I haven't been able to find the BFG yet. The maps seem pretty complex, though the in-game map makes it easier to find the hidden doors.
Doom 1 was pretty fun though I prefer Doom 2 and Doom 2016.
This is due to the first two missions of Episode 4.
They represent a MASSIVE difficulty spike.
Don't be afraid to use cheats.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Gonna need to hold out a bit longer; BFG doesn't appear until E3M3 in a secret area.

Top Bottom