• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Yeah I just wanted to pop in and bring up that basically no one knew Joker was getting revealed last year besides Nintendo and Geoff Keighley. With all the fallout hitting leakers right now, remember that and that Geoff is a pro at this. I highly doubt there are very many people who know who character 5 is, so there’s a high probability that the name that leakers have is fake.

CacoMallow is still alive, and Doom is Eternal

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but this 4chan post from August got a lot of stuff right. The only things they missed were the patch number and the time of the update. I didn't know that anyone was aware Terry was coming to smash before the snk leak, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this guy is credible.
I wouldn't bet on it being real. Other than Terry the things he predicted are either wrong or could be guesses based on known information like the HRC being datamined. September was always a reasonable window for Banjo too. 4chan has a million fake leaks for every real one and some of them end up getting stuff right by coincidence.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, Bethesda...
Please do NOT demo... Just talk about DOOM's timeline, play Doom (2016) or make giveaways live.
There would be no reason to expect DOOM at VGA if they show it there... :(

dolke

Smash Cadet
Ugh, Bethesda...
Please do NOT demo... Just talk about DOOM's timeline, play Doom (2016) or make giveaways live.
There would be no reason to expect DOOM at VGA if they show it there... :(
It would be really cool if they ended with some sort of hint abt doomguy in smash before following it up with a full-on reveal at the game awards

chemo

Smash Apprentice
It was just announced on the stream that Final DOOM (TNT and Plutonia) will be free add-ons for the DOOM 2 port (plus John Romero's Sigil!!!).

So now I believe that aside from some mobile spin-offs and VFR, every DOOM game is available on Switch.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It was just announced on the stream that Final DOOM (TNT and Plutonia) will be free add-ons for the DOOM 2 port (plus John Romero's Sigil!!!).

So now I believe that aside from some mobile spin-offs and VFR, every DOOM game is available on Switch.
Technically, No Rest For The Living is not available on the Switch.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Depends but uh oh

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhantomArtifice/status/1204429126641299456

This might be a code red situation for doomguy

This is a real post

King zell extremely reliable

Zero incorrect stuff

Does Nintendo stuff

Where I’m going...

Master chief might be it but this could be mcc on switch (master chief collection)

And on top of that he’s not ben killed by sabi nor Vergeben he’s alive

If it happens will the chief ruin everything for doomguy?

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
More technical updates, Final Doom/Sigil/support for (some) community WADs is more than I expected for the console ports so that's good. Of course just playing it all on PC will always be the best and I hope Bethesda/ZeniMax doesn't try to interfere with that.

Depends but uh oh

This is a real post

Zero incorrect stuff

Does Nintendo stuff

Where I’m going...

Master chief might be it but this could be mcc on switch (master chief collection)

You could argue that it undermines Doomguy fulfilling the "need" for a first person shooter character. However you could also argue a western shooter character getting in makes the case for Doom better.

Untouch

Smash Master
Depends but uh oh

This is a real post

Zero incorrect stuff

Does Nintendo stuff

Where I’m going...

I have extreme doubts we're getting 2 microsoft reps in the same pass, this is 99% just for MCC Switch which has been rumoured forever.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Depends but uh oh

This is a real post

Zero incorrect stuff

Does Nintendo stuff

Where I’m going...

It's just a port.
No chance in hell there will be 2 Microsoft reps in the same pass...
At least they can get in as post-pass.
There are more games that might be released as well... With that logic, all of those games' characters are getting in Smash, lmao.
Don't worry about it.
Just wait for the VGA to happen, which is inevitable at this point.
Point of no return, here we go!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Well, you've still got the missing PlayStation and XBox-exclusive secret levels, though the latter weren't exactly the most well-designed when it comes to Doom levels.

Is there anywhere I can find the stream archive so that I may watch it myself?
Depends but uh oh

This is a real post

Zero incorrect stuff

Does Nintendo stuff

Where I’m going...

Yeah, I highly doubt that Nintendo would double-dip when it comes to company franchises when it comes to Smash fighters. This would more than likely be related to XBox Live (and most likely its XBox Game Pass subscription service) extending support to the Nintedo Switch, effectively meaning that major XBox titles like Gears of War, Rare Replay and, yes, Halo: The Master Chief Collection will become playable on Switch.

This could very well be an unprecedented power move on Xbox's and Nintendo's behalf, which would only soldify the relationship between the two as well as redefine the gaming landscape with regards to console exclusives and digital experiences. Microsoft has recently intended Xbox to transition into a primarily digital service and platform, what with it's greater focus on PC releases and the phasing out of physical hardware such as the CD-ROM.

Having Xbox games playable on Switch, a bona fide competitor console, would further expose Nintendo players to the Xbox brand by providing more accessibility to their games. That, and Nintendo can also coax several Xbox players over to their platform with the offer of playing Xbox games on the go while exposing them to their own Library of games; a win-win scenario for both the companies and gamers if there ever was one.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, you've still got the missing PlayStation and XBox-exclusive secret levels, though the latter weren't exactly the most well-designed when it comes to Doom levels.

Is there anywhere I can find the stream archive so that I may watch it myself?

Yeah, I highly doubt that Nintendo would double-dip when it comes to company franchises when it comes to Smash fighters. This would more than likely be related to XBox Live (and most likely its XBox Game Pass subscription service) extending support to the Nintedo Switch, effectively meaning that major XBox titles like Gears of War, Rare Replay and, yes, Halo: The Master Chief Collection will become playable on Switch.

This could very well be an unprecedented power move on Xbox's and Nintendo's behalf, which would only soldify the relationship between the two as well as redefine the gaming landscape with regards to console exclusives and digital experiences. Microsoft has recently intended Xbox to transition into a primarily digital service and platform, what with it's greater focus on PC releases and the phasing out of physical hardware such as the CD-ROM.

Having Xbox games playable on Switch, a bona fide competitor console, would further expose Nintendo players to the Xbox brand by providing more accessibility to their games. That, and Nintendo can also coax several Xbox players over to their platform with the offer of playing Xbox games on the go while exposing them to their own Library of games; a win-win scenario for both the companies and gamers if there ever was one.
I agree. I think that this is most likely going to be MCC coming to the Switch.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
yes i agree its just mcc for switch but one point out for the no 2 from a company thing

how many time do i have to tell you guys theres no rules

"too small" :ultolimar:

"to pacifist" :ultvillager:

"not relevant" :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
"too sexy":ultbayonetta1:
"only 1 3rd party from a series":ultsimon::ultrichter:
"has to still be alive in series":ultdarksamus:
"no enemy characters as playable" :ultpiranha: (actually you know what im surprised you guys thinks theres still rules ever since piranha plants inclusion)

"no M rated game characters" :ultsnake::ultjoker:

and can we forget the most iconic "too big" :ultridley: (also ruins not popular in Japan argument kudos to Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime for point it out)

and so on and so forth of other rules broken so far.

its bound to happen of the rule break "no 2 characters from the same company besides nintendo per smash installment"

but really mcc is whats probably what happening

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
yes i agree its just mcc for switch but one point out for the no 2 from a company thing

how many time do i have to tell you guys theres no rules

"too small" :ultolimar:

"to pacifist" :ultvillager:

"not relevant" :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
"too sexy":ultbayonetta1:
"only 1 3rd party from a series":ultsimon::ultrichter:
"has to still be alive in series":ultdarksamus:
"no enemy characters as playable" :ultpiranha: (actually you know what im surprised you guys thinks theres still rules ever since piranha plants inclusion)

"no M rated game characters" :ultsnake::ultjoker:

and can we forget the most iconic "too big" :ultridley:

and so on and so forth of other rules broken so far.

its bound to happen of the rule break "no 2 characters from the same company besides nintendo per smash installment"

but really mcc is whats probably what happening
Well I mean there are SOME rules but I get your point.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You forgot not popular in Japan. :ultridley:

Which people still use as an argument for or against someone whenever it's convenient for them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No fourth party characters is a good one. I'm pretty sure the whole "No until on a Nintendo" one is there too, until that changes.
My point exactly. Sakurai stated those so until he says the same thing or these other so called "rules" no one has a say to them.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Great news. I loved TNT and I have the Doom 2 port already.

What if we got Master Chief announced for FP5 and Doom Guy after him. I say let's root for both to make it. It would setup an epic matchup (similar to Mario vs. Sonic).

dolke

Smash Cadet
What if we got Master Chief announced for FP5 and Doom Guy after him. I say let's root for both to make it. It would setup an epic matchup (similar to Mario vs. Sonic).
I really don't see a second microsoft rep as fp5, but I'd be down for chief.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Just heard the news today; now that Final Doom will be available to play on the Switch, I am happy to report that playing Drake O'Brien maps on the go will now be possible. My life is complete.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Just heard the news today; now that Final Doom will be available to play on the Switch, I am happy to report that playing Drake O'Brien maps on the go will now be possible. My life is complete.
Also, the implications that come with the Plutonia Experiment being playable for console owners. They too get to experience it's wonders:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, the implications that come with the Plutonia Experiment being playable for console owners. They too get to experience it's wonders:
They actually could experience it already on the PS1, albeit in a trimmed down form because the PS1 couldn't handle that oversaturation of Doom 2's new monsters.

On the plus side, the PS1 has them occasionally show up on Doom 1's levels if you play on Ultra-Violence.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I just wanted to pop in and bring up that basically no one knew Joker was getting revealed last year besides Nintendo and Geoff Keighley. With all the fallout hitting leakers right now, remember that and that Geoff is a pro at this. I highly doubt there are very many people who know who character 5 is, so there’s a high probability that the name that leakers have is fake.

CacoMallow is still alive, and Doom is Eternal
You know if Geoff was the one who told leakers that Doom Slayer wasn't fighter 5 early on, that would make for an interesting way to scum out leakers later on.
Although leakers have said Doom Slayer isn't number 5, I find it odd how quickly he was dismissed when this one leak dropped and how this leak has still not been debunked. I am not getting my hopes up for him, but I often think of the timing of everything.

Honestly I am getting sick of Sabi, Verge, and all of these leakers. This information should've came out around now, but we have been dealing with a constant stream of a Guess Who? type scenario and my hype has been diminished for it. You might as well say who it is since we've come this far.

Depends but uh oh

This is a real post

Zero incorrect stuff

Does Nintendo stuff

Where I’m going...

I think Halo's official Twitter has dismissed Master Chief being playable and have mentioned that they want to see him in Smash. I think they wouldn't have said this if an NDA was put in place, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

I'm actually excited if Halo comes to the Switch.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Hey y'all! I'm from the KOS-MOS and Reimu threads. I've been lurking here for a few days and I just wanted to lend my support to MR. RIP N' TEAR. Doom Slayer has been among my top 5 most wanted characters since the Smash DLC cycle began. I've never played a DOOM game before, but the games look really exciting and action-packed.

With that being said, I feel that it would be great if Doom Slayer were to be included within the DLC cycle. In light of everything that has been happening recently, all of that seems very possible (with Bethesda and the Mii Costume leaks).

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Hey y'all! I'm from the KOS-MOS and Reimu threads. I've been lurking here for a few days and I just wanted to lend my support to MR. RIP N' TEAR. Doom Slayer has been among my top 5 most wanted characters since the Smash DLC cycle began. I've never played a DOOM game before, but the games look really exciting and action-packed.

With that being said, I feel that it would be great if Doom Slayer were to be included within the DLC cycle. In light of everything that has been happening recently, all of that seems very possible (with Bethesda and the Mii Costume leaks).
Should go play the originals, the new ports are dirt cheap and getting some new content. Now's a good time to hop in.

KillerCage

Smash Master

Doom 1, 2, and 3 are now on the Switch and all three are cheap.
Both Doom 1 and 2 cost under $5 while Doom is under $10.
If you do play Doom 1, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT PLAY EPISODE 4 (Thy Flesh Consumed!)
I also recommend Doom 2016 (also on Switch) though you should play Doom 1 and 2 first before this one.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Depends but uh oh

This is a real post

Zero incorrect stuff

Does Nintendo stuff

Where I’m going...

If we can have multiple JRPG swordsman and fighting game character, I think we’ll be fine with having two FPS characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Doom 1, 2, and 3 are now on the Switch and all three are cheap.
Both Doom 1 and 2 cost under $5 while Doom is under $10.
If you do play Doom 1, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT PLAY EPISODE 4 (Thy Flesh Consumed!)
I also recommend Doom 2016 (also on Switch) though you should play Doom 1 and 2 first before this one.
Why shouldn't someone play episode 4? (I'm still working my way through Doom 1; I'm finding the maps to be a little tough to navigate)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Why shouldn't someone play episode 4? (I'm still working my way through Doom 1; I'm finding the maps to be a little tough to navigate)
Saying as one who’s attempted the first level of Thy Flesh Consumed: the first one throws everything at you when you only have a pistol. This sh*t is hard, dog.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Episode 4 hates the player.
Ammunition is very limited.
The level design severely limits your movement.
Enemies pop out of nowhere, giving you very little to react.
Episodes 1 through 3 were much more fair and had better difficulty curves.
Episode 4 is a MASSIVE difficulty spike.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Episode 4's first two maps are a lot more difficult compared to the other three episodes. The difficulty over the episode is inconsistent overall though as the later levels (except E4M6 which is unfun imo) are easier than those two. I wouldn't recommend against playing them but don't expect to not die.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Episode 4 is fine if you have some skill with Doom in general. I also think that even though it eats your ass with it's difficulty, after playing the first level or two, you fall into a groove and get how the episode is gonna go and it goes more smoothly from there.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I just heard! This is amazing news! We're technically getting everything Doom on the Switch now!

Except maybe Master Levels, but I never understood it... I had it on PC and it was just a bunch of multiplayer maps that were really hard to access.

Top Bottom