• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Room100

Smash Apprentice
But Vergeben...
I was just thinking about this and have lots of feelings.

I really don't trust Verge anymore. It seems like recently he's more or less just parroted leaks put out recently and it's supposed to be like "Oh wow even he said it!" But I don't know. Seems like he's just trying to retain cred.

Sabi seems to be the main front on this right now, only I have one major problem. Even if all the info they're receiving is true (No Hayabusa, Crash, Geno, or Doom Slayer), how can the source completely count these out unless they actually know who it is, or at least what company the newcomer is from? And if they do, why not just say it instead of "No, it's not them, better keep guessing! "

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for any great fortune at the Game Awards, but I'm also not counting anyone out just yet.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Sabi seems to be the main front on this right now, only I have one major problem. Even if all the info they're receiving is true (No Hayabusa, Crash, Geno, or Doom Slayer), how can the source completely count these out unless they actually know who it is, or at least what company the newcomer is from? And if they do, why not just say it instead of "No, it's not them, better keep guessing! "
Probably cause Nintendo would sue their ass to hell and back.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Even if one of them (Doom Slayer, Geno, Hayabusa, Travis, etc.) comes out, leakers might say: "Huh. Seems like we missed some info during exchange. Tee hee."

So, yeah.

:mad088:.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Seems like we're probably slowing down a bit until the Game Awards, so random questions:

What FPS rep would you be coolest with joining the roster instead of Doomguy?

What FPS rep do you DEFINITELY NOT want to see over Doomguy?

For me I'd probably want Master Chief most after Doomguy, and I really wouldn't care for more military-esque gunners in the vein of Snake. I wanna get some variety and show what you can do with the concept. Not big on an Overwatch rep, but their moveset potential is at least something that gives them a reason to get in.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Seems like we're probably slowing down a bit until the Game Awards, so random questions:

For me I'd probably want Master Chief most after Doomguy, and I really wouldn't care for more military-esque gunners in the vein of Snake. I wanna get some variety and show what you can do with the concept. Not big on an Overwatch rep, but their moveset potential is at least something that gives them a reason to get in.
No argument from me.
Definitely Master Chief, no Overwatch rep.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Okay so my answer to the first question is the same as yours, so for the sake of discussion I’ll say Duke Nukem for the sheer hilarity of that idea.
As for the second, COD army shoot man #17

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

1. A Valve rep(Gordon Freeman would be preferred), I wouldn't complain if Master Chief got in either.
2. I don't really have a answer for this one. I think Sakurai could pretty much make any character he touches amazing. However, seeing an Overwatch or Call of Duty rep get in before Doomguy, would feel like a huge kick in the balls. I'd get over it eventually though.

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace

I’d definitely want Master Chief. I honestly hope to see both before the DLC is over. A valve rep like Heavy or Gordon would be cool as well

For what I don’t wanna see, definitely a gritty, generic soldier from call of duty/battlefield. Also I dont wanna see Overwatch as long as Blizzard keeps their current track

Last edited:

tactical_meme

Smash Rookie

Jumping on the Master Chief bandwagon here, as I've been a Halo fan for the majority of my life. While Doom popularized the FPS genre, Halo was pretty innovative for its time and afaik paved the way for the modern FPS, so I think it's worthy of being included in Smash. As for the characters I absolutely don't want to see, probably someone from Overwatch or any other Blizzard games due to current events.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There can only be one bodacious time travelling dude who would be cool enough to be a Smash Bro

Sergeant Cortez!
It's time to split fast.gif

It's Time To Split!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we couldn't get Doomguy as the FPS rep... I guess that would be Master Chief. At least Halo has recognition and saying "Master Chief is in Smash Bros." is a phrase I never thought I would say.

As for definitely not... no random Call of Duty soldier, and definitely not anyone from Overwatch (especially with what Blizzard has been doing lately, but that's a different can of worms I don't want to go into).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Hail to the king, baby.

Duke_Nukem_3D_1920x1080.jpg

Meanwhile, I couldn't care less about Fallout stuff, especially seeing as they still don't have Nintendo console releases.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Almost everyone is saying Chief, so for the sake of variety ill go Gordon. Id also be happy to see Duke, Joanna, Heavy or Turok (yeah, yeah, hes a comic character) in the game.
Id actually be ok with a CoD character as long its you know, an actual character like Woods for example.
I certainly dont want an OW character though.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I would take Duke Nukem

And I would honesty not want Chief. I never really liked Halo, always felt like I was being forced to play it with friends. However I would welcome him if we also got Kratos, just for the sake of seeing the two of them and Mario in one game.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Heavy (or another TF2 rep, I could see Soldier or Scout working too). The content alone they'd bring would be worth it, TF2 has a heavily underrated soundtrack.

Tracer. Aside from not liking Overwatch, I think her entire gimmick would be the absolute most unfun thing to play against.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

FPS rep I would want: I AM HEAVY WEAPONS GUY, AND THIS IS MY WEAPON.

FPS rep I don't want: Aside from generic FPS protagonists (COD, Battlefield, etc.), I wouldn't want an Overwatch character in general, especially considering that Blizzard is in hot water at the moment.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I can’t conceive the idea of another FPS guy.
But if I had to, I’d go for Duke Nukem first.

Too bad it’s impossible to have the ship from Descent, cause I love that series almost as much as Doom. Maybe have the pilot use the weapons his ship uses.

But back to Duke.
He’d be kinda funny to have. (Also, a Special win quote against Sonic because... Big the Cat).

I would love for him to have his shrink and expand guns. Maybe the Freeeze gun from Zero Hour.

Oh, and Gordon Freeman would be my 3rd favorite.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
A good FPS rep could be Corvus from Heretic since his series was close to Doom in a lot of ways and he even has moveset potential since his first game.
Not sure about the Hexen classes but maybe either give one of their stuff to Corvus or make them assist trophies (In Samsara, Hexen was represented with the Cleric who had weapons from the other two classes).
Rise of The Triad on the other hand could offer really amazing music.

As for bad reps: COD characters are "too realistic" as if they don't really look like video game characters.
When a series relies heavy on realism to the point it doesn't have any interesting design, it's hard to make it work with crossovers.
Kind of the case with the idea of another PlayStation All-Stars: You can keep Drake and maybe a few others but stuff like Days Goneman and Heavy Rain should have extremely secondary appearences at best while slots are for more interesting characters like Klonoa, Kiryu or a Dragon's Crown rep, no matter how obscure they can be for most people (After all, you could add any meaningfull character and people will claim they're unknown regardless).

OverWatch might as well be forgotten in a few years, due to the updates making it worse, the mess that is its "lore", the situation with Blizzard right now...
Like, nobody seems to like OW anymore and comparing it to Doom shows extreme opposites where one series is meant to live forever and the other seems like it'll go away in 4 years at best.

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to stick my head in and scream my unwanted and unliked opinions at you guys, because why not?
I wouldn't mind an OW rep, if it weren't for the horrible things Blizzard's been doing.
Heavy would never get in, I'm sorry - Joker's guns fire energy, Bayonetta's guns fire magic, Doomguy's guns are from the future, but Heavy just straight-up has actual guns that shoot bullets into people and kill them.
I despise the thought of Master Chief in Smash. Just... No.
Duke Nukem would be awesome, as long as they went with more fantasy-themed weapons.
COD characters...well the guy above me explained it pretty well

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If I may throw my hat into the ring on FPS representatives:

* Master Chief was for console shooters what Doom Slayer was for FPS shooters in general. Basically, Halo is to Doom what Final Fantasy is to Dragon Quest.
* Heavy's guns, while shooting realistic bullets, seem more stylized than realistic to me. I mean, what kind of damn bodybuilder do you have to be to carry that minigun?! Heavy seems pretty unique by himself what with looking at all the weapons he has.
* For Overwatch, I think I'll wait until Blizzard rebuilds its reputation after this whole ban fiasco blows over. However long that might take.
* I don't know enough about Duke Nukem to really voice an opinion on him.
* As for Call of Duty, to adapt a quote from Sora from No Game No Life: "I'll bet in the one in a million chance, no, the chance that can only be described with imaginary numbers, that Activision will release a CoD game that doesn't do anything generic!"
* Gordon Freeman seems interesting in the sense that Half-Life is another influential shooter, being a big single-player FPS that doesn't break immersion and is arguably up there with the likes of Doom and Halo. Hell, Valve even said that Doom was a big inspiration! If not Heavy, than maybe Gordon.

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
* Heavy's guns, while shooting realistic bullets, seem more stylized than realistic to me. I mean, what kind of damn bodybuilder do you have to be to carry that minigun?! Heavy seems pretty unique by himself what with looking at all the weapons he has.
I totally agree about the stylization helping his case. Honestly, I think his gun is cartoonish enough to be okay too. I've always felt that if you used Mii Gunners F Smash "bullets" then it's really not that bad and doesn't lose any of the effect.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ok guys, hear me out. My own pick for a favourite FPS Smash rep?

Postal Dude
I love Postal 2! Such a fantastic game and the devs keep supporting it after nearly 2 decades!

Too bad he'd be too raunchy for Smash Bros, otherwise it'd be hilarious to see him pee on all the fighters!

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Heavy would never get in, I'm sorry - Joker's guns fire energy, Bayonetta's guns fire magic, Doomguy's guns are from the future, but Heavy just straight-up has actual guns that shoot bullets into people and kill them.
But Joker, Bayonetta and Doomguy also still shoot and kill people.
The real reason Heavy won't get in is cause TF2 ain't on a Nintendo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Postal 2 was too controversial even for an M-rated game anyways. Even got banned in some countries (as in openly banned and not sidestepped around like with recent Mortal Kombat in Japan).

But Joker, Bayonetta and Doomguy also still shoot and kill people.
The real reason Heavy won't get in is cause TF2 ain't on a Nintendo.
Yeah, people may call Sakurai a wizard, but even he wouldn't be able to reach an agreement with Valve if they don't put their stuff on a Ninty console.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
My second choice of FPS character is Gordon Freeman, no contest. Half-Life 1-2 are pretty much two of my favorite games of all time. Scout and Heavy are the only ones who come even remotely close.

obligatory "overwatch bad" (it's true though)

Davidius

Smash Journeyman

The Ranger from Quake because it's Quake. He ended up in Smash Bros. after walking through the wrong slip gate.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The Ranger from Quake because it's Quake. He ended up in Smash Bros. after walking through the wrong slip gate.
Every time he jumps, we get the classic “HUMPF!” grunt. Man, I would spam the **** out of that.

Last edited:

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice

Undoubtedly Duke Nukem, for the first question.

As for the second one, definitely Master Chief, I mean one thing is to have minimal history with Nintendo and the other is to have freaking 0%.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was just thinking about this and have lots of feelings.

I really don't trust Verge anymore. It seems like recently he's more or less just parroted leaks put out recently and it's supposed to be like "Oh wow even he said it!" But I don't know. Seems like he's just trying to retain cred.

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for any great fortune at the Game Awards, but I'm also not counting anyone out just yet.
On the other hand, there is nothing that guarantees that we'll see the Slayer soon. For all we know the next character could be Reimu or something.

Distrust all the actual leakers if you must (although Verge IS inconsistent as all get-out, I'll give you that), but I'd rather hear of them saying something happening near an event like a Direct or VGAs, rather than waste time seeing what latest nonsense /v/ users come up with for attention.

Does anyone know where this Doomguy render comes from? I saw it posted on Star Road and it looks amazing.
Oi, here we go again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo29mBPKEFY

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Does anyone know where this Doomguy render comes from? I saw it posted on Star Road and it looks amazing.
Looks to be an edited version of the Doomguy skin from Quake Champions. He might even be holding a QC Machinegun in that image.

Top Bottom